Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still get physical movie tickets?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you still get physical movie tickets?
Yes all the time
54.29%
No, I book everything in advance online with my phone or on the web and come with my QR code
22.86%
Sometimes
22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-20, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you still the old fuddy daddy who doesn’t believe in or support smart phones and movie tickets apps/services and always gets a physical movie ticket when you make the drive to the theatre and go to the box office?

Or have you adapted and have a program like AMC A List, Regal Unlimited, Alamo Drafthouse and book your tickets online or days, weeks in advance and have a QR code when you arrive with everything booked especially your seat set.

Or is it 50/50 and sometimes you do when you see something on a whim.
Old 02-12-20, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Do you still get physical movie tickets?

I subscribe to Alamo Drafthouse Season Pass. I walk straight to my seat and show my ticket (that appears through the app) to my food server.

But, if on a whim and the theater has a kiosk that prints a ticket, I'll do that.
Old 02-12-20, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate my cell phone so I get physical tickets when I go to a movie. I only do it rarely unless the wife decides to go and its easier here to just go to the window and get a ticket. Nothing ever sells out because its a small town I think if I lived in a bigger city like Glasgow or something I would use a Digital ticket just to know it was available.
Old 02-12-20, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even when I have a QR code, I take it to the kisok and print a physical ticket most of the time. Some of the theaters in my area actually make you do that, and I just do it out of habit at all of them.
Old 02-12-20, 06:40 AM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Nope.
Old 02-12-20, 06:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a membership to my local theater, so I just go up to the counter, tell the person, "I have a membership, here's my driver's license," and they hand me two tickets...
Old 02-12-20, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All the theaters here require reserved seats and I have to buy my tickets online. I have a confirmation code and sometimes the ticket counter person will take care of it and sometimes it's the ticket taker (who enters the code into a device and doesn't give me a physical ticket). Lately I've been entering my code at the kiosk in the lobby and sometimes it prints my tickets and sometimes it glitches.
Old 02-12-20, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Physical tickets. I don’t buy in advance because I’d rather not sit next to some schmuck in his jam jams with his blanket.
Old 02-12-20, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually pick up physical tickets in advance for any movie I think will be very crowded like opening night so I can still get in if there's a problem scanning tickets.
Old 02-12-20, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

If I go to the movies, it's usually on a whim during non-peak hours. So I'll go the kiosk and get a printed ticket.
Old 02-12-20, 08:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I almost always get my tickets in advance via the cinema's app, so no physical tickets most of the time.
However, there's a weekly horror movie club every Friday night, and I've gone enough times to earn free admission to only those shows for a year. One caveat is that it means I have to get my free physical ticket at the box office, and it doesn't show up as a purchased ticket in the app.
Old 02-12-20, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Regal Unlimited but come in for a ticket since I can avoid the extra fee they would tack on otherwise.
Old 02-12-20, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Tickets very rarely sell out to movies where I live so thereís no reason for me to really buy in advance. My theater doesnít have reserved seating. Itís just as easy for me to buy a ticket at the concession stand and I usually go there anyways to get a drink and have my popcorn bucket filled. I donít necessarily care about getting a physical ticket since theyíre only printed on receipt type paper though.
Old 02-12-20, 10:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I have the Regal Unlimited but come in for a ticket since I can avoid the extra fee they would tack on otherwise.
This. Iíll occasionally pay the 50 cent surcharge if I want to pick my seat early, but thatís rarely an issue.
Old 02-12-20, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Physical tickets. I donít buy in advance because Iíd rather not sit next to some schmuck in his jam jams with his blanket.
How does buying them at the box office prevent that exactly?
Old 02-12-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Because when I go five minutes before the movie starts, I can choose my seat away from seats that are taken. As opposed to choosing my seat days in advance only to find out that I have a neighbor come show time.
Old 02-12-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope. What's annoying is that when I approach the entryway of the theater - the lobby and ticket buying booth tend to get flooded with people scrambling for tickets. I buy my tickets in advance - set it and forget it! The theater apps work perfectly.

Now if I'm rolling solo to a film and someone happens to buy a ticket sitting right next to me, well, then that's their problem for not doing their due diligence. I'm not fucking moving.
Old 02-12-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
This. Iíll occasionally pay the 50 cent surcharge if I want to pick my seat early, but thatís rarely an issue.
I pay the 50 cents everytime. I have never gone to the window to avoid the fee. I like knowing what seat i'll be in before i leave my house
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never pay any extra fee to book a ticket online. My theater loyalty cards take care of that for me.
Old 02-12-20, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I almost always use the app and buy digital tickets, but I did go to the box office fairly recently. That's because I had gift cards attached to my account, but one of them had about $3 on it, and I wasn't sure if the app was smart enough to take that amount from one GC and deduct the balance from another one.

I recall a while back that the app could only take one GC per transaction and that any outstanding balance had to be paid for using a debit or credit card, so I figured it'd just be easier to go to the box office rather than monkeying with the app.

Like a few posters who've mentioned that they print out electronic tickets, I'll do the same if I have more than one bar code for the usher to scan. It's just faster than having to pull up a different BC for each ticket.
Old 02-12-20, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I go to the movies, last time though was Avengers: Endgame I think, yes I get physical tickets.
Old 02-12-20, 01:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I pay the 50 cents everytime. I have never gone to the window to avoid the fee. I like knowing what seat i'll be in before i leave my house
Yeah, I might not wait in line just to avoid the surcharge, but my theater doesnít even staff the ticket windows most of the day, I use the kiosks. And my theater is rarely crowded, so getting my preferred seat is never a problem.
Old 02-12-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still get physical tickets. I have a scrap book that I keep them in.
The following users liked this post:
rhpsozzy (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Most chains charge an extra fee for buying online, which I hate, so I buy them at the theater and they get printed out whether I like it or not. But if I pre-order for a big movie, nope! I just use the email/QR code.
Old 02-12-20, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've saved nearly every ticket for the past 21 years, have them in a photo album with plans to do something one day. I do still get physical tickets when available but I've noticed that the ink is disappearing faster now. I have tickets from 20 years ago that you can still clearly read, yet ones from last year are totally faded.

I also have done the same for concerts, I pay to have physical tickets sent to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.