Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.09%
13.04%
23.48%
17.39%
16.52%
8.70%
6.09%
3.48%
0%
0.87%
2.61%
What are you high?
1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Get your friend some help.

I'm not sure we'd still be friends if he was that disgusting.
Old 12-20-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

<iframe width="645" height="363" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7H_Zpigqvg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This might be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in a Star Wars project.
Old 12-20-19, 12:08 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
There is a lot of things like that on the animated shows.
Old 12-20-19, 12:09 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Old 12-20-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The Clone Wars is actually really good. Made me appreciate the prequels more truthfully.
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (12-21-19)
Old 12-20-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

The funny thing about this is the original prints of ep.1 didn't have Maul splitting in half and Lucas had them change it at the very last minute so that no one would be under the illusion that he might come back some day.
Old 12-20-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Went in with more modest expectations and it more or less met those. The high point for me was the 2nd Act Death Star scenes - all great stuff. Unfortunately it became pretty apparent the 3rd Act was going to be a letdown in comparsion.... really wanted more of the Sith planet and Palpatine. (shouldn't he have been referred to as Sidious though?) His different appearance (even though it's just an aged Ian McDiarmond) led me to interpret that he was in a new body/vessel.

I wasn't impressed with how this movie looked visually... the sets stood out as sets, and there was some very obvious non location shooting. (Achto for example) It almost made the film feel small, like they were cutting more corners (than usual) This should've been Ep 8 and 9... could've had a nice two film arc. Ray leaving for Achto would've been a great cliffhanger - she than returns in this film, new lightstaber in hand.

All in all still a fun movie... I'm still glad we got these films, though they will mostly be remembered for what they could've been.
Old 12-20-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rian Johnson seems to have the same mindset as the fans who defend the portrayal of Luke he gave us. You didn’t have to write him in a way where he was ultra powerful or some shit. It’s not that fucking hard to figure out.
Old 12-20-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 12-20-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Also Billy Dee was great! Definitely had more of a spring in his step than I expected... makes me wonder why they didn't bring him sooner...
Old 12-20-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Also Billy Dee was great in this! Definitely had more of a spring in his step than I expected... makes me wonder why they didn't bring him sooner?....
You'd have a spring in your step too if you just got handed some fresh punani, playa! He's about to bust out the Colt45.

Old 12-20-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Pimpin' ain't easy but it's necessary!
Old 12-20-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh lord!! What just happened?!

This didn’t have half the charm of TFA, and wasn’t made with a fraction of the competency or TLJ.

The Rey parent situation could not have turned out worse. What’s a shitty, clumsy turn that was. Should’ve just left them at being truly nobody.

Cant wait to see the backbends people will be doing to say this was better than TLJ.

Oh and also, BDW was a delight. Of all the returning cast, he seemed to be having the most fun being back.

Last edited by lopper; 12-20-19 at 01:58 PM.
IBJoel (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Oh lord!! What just happened?!

This didn’t have half the charm of TFA, and wasn’t made with a fraction of the competency or TLJ.

The Rey parent situation could not have turned out worse. What’s a shitty, clumsy turn that was. Should’ve just left them at being truly nobody.

Cant wait to see the backbends people will be doing to say this was better than TLJ.

Oh and also, BDW was a delight. Of all the returning cast, he seemed to be having the most fun being back.
This ^
...except I didn't think BDW was all that great. He was about as clumsy as Leia was in TFA (which I loved)...

So of the recent films I would rank them TFA, Solo, RO, TLJ, TROS
Old 12-20-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Billy Dee did pretty good, which actually surprised me as I’ve heard how he’s in rough shape. Seemed pretty good for the fairly limited role he had.
Old 12-20-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
This ^
...except I didn't think BDW was all that great. He was about as clumsy as Leia was in TFA (which I loved)...
I mean, the dude's 82 years old...

Was there any new character introduced in this one that was worth a shit? The droid? Zorii Bliss? Jannah? General Pryde, maybe, but aside from killing Hux (the mole, another clumsy lazy character turn), he didn't really do all that much.

And I'm very much looking forward to the gif's of Chewbacca running from the knights of Ren (also shit worthless characters). Hilariously derpy run.

I'm seeing this again on Sunday with my wife, so maybe my opinion will change with future viewings. But as of now, fresh out of the theater, this was deeply disappointing and a total misfire.

Last edited by lopper; 12-20-19 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

BDW is 82? Holy shit, I thought he was still in his early 70's.
Old 12-20-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zorii Bliss was pretty cool, but yeah she didn’t do much.
Old 12-20-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this today. Definitely did a better job with the characters than Last Jedi. That said, the story was pretty paper thin and I feel like if Michael Bay were to make a Star Wars movie , this would be it. A bunch of big action set pieces and money shots strewn together by little or nothing that occur only so the movie can happen. Still, given what Abrams was trying to fix, I think he did the best he could. I won't lie, did almost tear up at the very end.

Lesson to learn: if you are going to make a trilogy, you outline the whole story from the start. You don't let someone with one vision make the first one, then give it to someone who has a completely different one for the second, and then have the first one come back and have to overturn the previous. It makes for a mess.
Old 12-20-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean Kennedy and company should have known that going in. That shouldn’t have been a lesson to learn, and pathetic to not have had more planning for films of the magnitude of this franchise. For that incompetence alone I truly hope she quietly bows out or is replaced in the near future.
Mountain Biker (12-29-19)
Old 12-20-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Zorii Bliss was pretty cool, but yeah she didn’t do much.
I was waiting for her to dj.... and wonder why she left Daft Punk.
Old 12-20-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Lesson to learn: if you are going to make a trilogy, you outline the whole story from the start. You don't let someone with one vision make the first one, then give it to someone who has a completely different one for the second, and then have the first one come back and have to overturn the previous. It makes for a mess.
Are we sure JJ even had a vision beyond Force Awakens? I'm not so sure. In fact, there's evidence that whatever his initial vision was for that one didn't even make it on screen. Seeing as how they just completely ignored Last Jedi's revelations about Rey's parents, it's not like Johnson prevented them from doing whatever they wanted with that story, and there's nothing to believe that Palpatine had any involvement in the story until right up until RoS went into production. In fact some have speculated that it was Lucas himself who suggested Palpatine be part of the story.
Old 12-20-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed The Force Awakens despite it’s “echos” being more of a cacophony of the past. It was fun and had heart.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Jedi despite its flaws. I do not think the treatment of Luke was one of those (that was the one thing Johnson nailed). It had gravitas and gave weight to the actions of the past.

My initial reaction on The Rise of Skywalker ... it had NONE of that ... no heart, no fun, no gravitas, no meaning. That is a bit of an exaggeration, but I walked out feeling as if somebody took some bad fan fiction and made a bad fan film out of it. Abrams took NO time to let anything sink in or allow anything to develop but instead continued to throw things at us with no purpose other than selling new toys. I’m not sure how he managed to make this feel less original than The Force Awakens, but he did. The Emperor again? Death Star 4? No it isn’t round, but it is yet another whole fleet of planet killing laser beams that needs to be deployed ... oh, and we stop it by taking out a central point. Same lazy writing of action and total lack of any real motivation. It was an excuse for JJ to round up his friends and play in his big backyard sandbox.

Will I see it again? Of course. I will give it another couple of runs in the theater thanks to having one of those subscription deals. Will I buy it on home video? Yes, because I am a completionist and a child of the franchise ... will I watch it again at home on said home video? I’m not sure I will.

Random thoughts:

What it does leave me wanting is the Bobu Fleck and Zorii Bliss Disney+ show. Bobu is the bomb!

Keri Russell was wasted. Kelly Marie Tran and Billie Lorde were shafted. Dominic whatshisnuts was utterly distracting as a glorified cameo.

D0 was pointless. Red stormtroopers had no meaning. Flying stormtrooopers were laughable. Sell more toys! Oh, and the Millennium Falcon has a round dish again ... sell more toys!

I now want the interim story between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. I want Luke and Leia’s attempt to rebuild the Jedi and the rise of Kylo Ren. (Maybe then TLJ haters will understand why Luke does make sense in that movie.)

Kylo Ren was wasted. He was nothing more than a hand of fate to push this story forward. I didn’t want his redemption, but I was glad he got it. It was, however, completely unearned. It just was.

Can we quit making up Force powers and play by the damned rules please?

joe_b (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Was that Anthony Daniels as a pilot? Out of costume?
It was Wedge.
It was Anthony Daniels. I don't know if Wedge appeared or not, but Daniels was definitely one of the pilots. He even spoke a line.
Old 12-20-19, 04:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Can we quit making up Force powers and play by the damned rules please?
Yeah, stop making up stuff for made up stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.