Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Good Liar (2019, D: Condon) - S: Ian McKellen, Helen Mirren

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 08:20 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ljKzFGpPHhw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Consummate con man Roy Courtnay (Ian McKellen) has set his sights on his latest mark: the recently widowed Betty McLeish (Helen Mirren), worth millions. And Roy means to take it all.

From their very first meeting, Roy begins plying Betty with his tried and true manipulations, and Betty, who seems quite taken with him, is soon going along for the ride. But this time, what should have been a simple swindle escalates into a cat-and-mouse game with the ultimate stakes—revealing more insidious deceptions that will take them both through a minefield of danger, intrigue and betrayal.

Legendary actors Helen Mirren (Oscar winner, “The Queen”) and Ian McKellen (two-time Oscar nominee, “Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” and “Gods and Monsters”) star together on screen for the first time, in this smart and suspenseful thriller from New Line Cinema about the secrets people keep and the lies they live.

“The Good Liar” was directed by Bill Condon, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of “Gods and Monsters,” from a screenplay by Jeffrey Hatcher (“Mr. Holmes”), based on the widely acclaimed novel by Nicholas Searle. The main cast also includes Russell Tovey (“The History Boys,” “Quantico”) and Jim Carter (“Downton Abbey”).

The film was produced by Greg Yolen and Bill Condon. Richard Brener, Andrea Johnston, Aaron L. Gilbert, Jason Cloth, Anjay Nagpal, Jack Morrissey and Nick O’Hagan served as executive producers.

The creative filmmaking team included director of photography Tobias Schliessler (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Mr. Holmes”), production designer John Stevenson (“Burton and Taylor”), editor Virginia Katz (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Dreamgirls”), and costume designer Keith Madden (“Patrick Melrose,” “Mr. Holmes”). The music was composed by two-time Oscar nominee Carter Burwell (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” “Carol”).

New Line Cinema presents, in association with BRON Creative, a 1000 Eyes Production, a Bill Condon Film, “The Good Liar.” The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures on November 15, 2019. It is rated R for some strong violence, and for language and brief nudity.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5563334
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_good_liar/
Old 11-13-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: The Good Liar (2019, D: Condon) - S: Ian McKellen, Helen Mirren

I am in. Unfortunately it will most likely be home video I see it.
Old 11-17-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

It's great seeing Ian Mckellen and Helen Mirren, and the movie is watchable, but so predictable you kind of feel like you're wasting your time. I'm wracking my brains, trying to think has there EVER been a movie about a con artist that didn't end with (can't even believe I have spoiler this)
Spoiler:
the victim was actually conning the con artist the entire time!?!?!
Old 11-20-19, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought this movie was thoroughly awful -- shockingly so, since Condon's previous project, Mr. Holmes, is light years better than this piece of drivel.

McKellen's professional con artist rarely comes across as credible, being both amateurish in how he carries out his schemes, as well as gullible to a ridiculous degree. Mirren doesn't have much to do except act oblivious and ditzy for most of the movie
Spoiler:
until her big reveal, which includes a ponderous flashback sequence that seems to go on forever and features so many tragic details that it becomes comically melodramatic. The movie would have been better off chucking the abominable last 20 minutes and making Mirren's character just another con artist who one-upped McKellen, instead of someone who had a secret history with him and went through a ridiculously long and elaborate revenge plot just to have him beaten to a pulp at the end.

This is one of the those movies that thinks its being very clever, but any reasonably intelligent audience member can pretty much figure out everything that's coming long before its revealed.
Old 11-22-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

I saw this tonight and while it was entertaining the whole time, you could see the twist coming a mile away and the explanation for it had me rolling my eyes hard...but it was still entertaining.