Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frankenstein (Universal monster reboot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Javier Bardem Eyed for Frankenstein Role in Universal’s Monster Universe (EXCLUSIVE)
Film Reporter
@krolljvar
JULY 11, 2016 | 12:21PM PT

Having already filled its monster universe with a roster of A-list talent that includes Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp and Russell Crowe, Universal is now eyeing another star to bring a famous character to life.

Sources tell Variety that Javier Bardem is in talks to star as Frankenstein in Universal’s cinematic universe with rebooted versions of classic monster movies. It’s currently unknown which movie Bardem would first appear in, as “The Mummy,” the first film in the monster universe, is about to wrap shooting.

The studio is also developing a “Bride of Frankenstein” pic, but sources indicate that Bardem’s Frankenstein would likely appear in another monster movie before his own project.

The studio tapped Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan last summer to help develop the monster universe for Universal.

Ironically, Bardem had been approached about playing the Dr. Jekyll role in “The Mummy,” but passed on the part, which opened the door for Crowe to step into the role.

Bardem was most recently seen in Sean Penn’s “The Last Face” and is currently filming Darren Aronofsky’s untitled film opposite Jennifer Lawrence. He also has “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” which bows next summer.

He is repped by WME.
Old 11-21-19, 07:24 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Frankenstein (Universal monster universe reboot)

Hiding within an article on Variety (that has since been removed) was news that Universal Pictures is meeting with directors for a new take on Mary Shelley‘s “Frankenstein” that will be produced by James Wan (Aquaman, Saw, The Conjuring, Insidious) and his Atomic Monster.

It was rumored back in July of 2016 that Javier Bardem was in talks to star as Frankenstein’s monster in Universal’s “Dark Universe”, which had its plug pulled after the lackluster debut of The Mummy with Tom Cruise.

It’s unclear what direction Wan will take, but we’re all still hoping to see the return of the Bride in some way shape or form. The tale of Dr. Frankenstein and his monster has been told to death in dozens of films, and even CBS has a new series based on Shelley’s characters.

This story comes on the heel of news that Universal hired Rocketman director Dexter Fletcher to direct Renfield, a monster movie centered on Dracula’s henchman. Leigh Whannell’s The Invisible Man appears in theaters next year, while Paul Feig is currently developing a monster movie for the studio.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-frankenstein/
Old 11-21-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Re: Frankenstein (Universal monster reboot)

How does Universal own the rights to make these monster movies (or do they)? Aren’t all these characters in the public domain, like Sherlock Holmes?
Old 11-21-19, 09:19 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think they own the distinctive Jack Pierce make up “looks”. There have been other Frankenstein films, but they had to change the look of the creature.
Old 11-21-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I think they own the distinctive Jack Pierce make up “looks”. There have been other Frankenstein films, but they had to change the look of the creature.
Universal successfully copyrighted or trademarked "Dracula" and "Frankenstein". Although the story and characters are in the public domain, and anyone can make movies about the characters, they can't call it "Dracula" or "Frankenstein". They have to clarify the title. "Bram Stoker's" Dracula, "Curse of" Frankenstein, Dracula "2000", etc. etc. They can't call it just plain Dracula or Frankenstein.
Old 11-21-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

^ Both very interesting! Thanks guys.

It's surprising that they can copywrite the names of public domain characters for movie titles.
Old 11-21-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I’m interested but skeptical. Not sure Universal has a good grasp on how to handle their monster properties. I will say James Wan on board as a producer should be a good sign though. Hopefully he’ll have a more hands on role and it won’t be something he just attaches his name to.
Old 11-21-19, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
Universal successfully copyrighted or trademarked "Dracula" and "Frankenstein". Although the story and characters are in the public domain, and anyone can make movies about the characters, they can't call it "Dracula" or "Frankenstein". They have to clarify the title. "Bram Stoker's" Dracula, "Curse of" Frankenstein, Dracula "2000", etc. etc. They can't call it just plain Dracula or Frankenstein.
Have they copyrighted pronouncing Frankenstein the way Gene Wilder pronounces it?
Old 11-21-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

I’m more interested in why it took 3.5 years for someone to reply to the OP.
Old 11-22-19, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Universal just isn't giving up on their classic monsters, are they? How many millions are they sinking to make it part of their new Orlando project? I just wish they'd go all out and do a B&W version with "old school" effects. The reason Coppola's Dracula is still the best of the most recent attempts is because he was smart enough to know that trying to "update" it wasn't giong to work.
Old 11-22-19, 08:18 AM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

There was a new Mummy movie? I'm sorry, but seriously, when did that happen? Is it any good?
Old 11-22-19, 09:36 AM
Banned

It had Tom Cruise in it, if you can believe it! I don’t know anyone who’s seen it.
Old 11-22-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I hope they don’t get around to remaking Creature From The Black Lagoon. If they’re hell bent on doing it, it sure as fuck better not be Paul Feig.
Old 11-22-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by story
There was a new Mummy movie? I'm sorry, but seriously, when did that happen? Is it any good?
Came out in 2017. You didn’t miss much at all. That was supposed to be the launch of Universal’s Dark Universe but it was a massive flop.
Old 11-22-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It had Tom Cruise in it, if you can believe it! I don’t know anyone who’s seen it.
There was a whole thread on here, so some saw it. I know I did.
Old 11-23-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I own the 3D version. For me it was an utterly forgettable movie. As much as I disliked the Brandon Fraser Mummy from 1999, the Tom Cruise version barely reaches that level.
Old 11-23-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
There was a whole thread on here, so some saw it. I know I did.
Here it is. https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...=#post13087081