DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Your Top Ten Films of All-Time? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/649062-your-top-ten-films-all-time.html)

tanman 11-13-19 04:57 AM

Re: Your Top Ten Films of All-Time?

This is my list for at least the next 5 minutes :D I guess I have a hard time distinguishing between favorite and best. For instance Schindler's List is one of the greatest and most important films of all time. But is it my favorite? Do I rewatch it at all? No.
I'll put in order of release date:
  1. Rear Window (1954)
  2. Mary Poppins (1964)
  3. The Sound of Music (1965)
  4. Star Wars (1977)
  5. Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  6. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
  7. The Lord of the Rings (2001) - Yeah I know I'm cheating but it's really more like one long story then three individual movies.
  8. The Dark Knight (2008)
  9. Up (2009)
  10. The Princess and the Frog (2009)

mattysemo247 11-14-19 12:41 PM

In no order. And could probably change at any moment depending on the day :lol:

Fight Club
Jurassic Park
The Nightmare Before Christmas
From Dusk Until Dawn
Twister
The Lord of the Rings
The Dark Knight
Open Range
The Avengers
How to Train Your Dragon

Paff 11-14-19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13639103)
This is my list for at least the next 5 minutes :D I guess I have a hard time distinguishing between favorite and best. For instance Schindler's List is one of the greatest and most important films of all time. But is it my favorite?

Or like listing, say, Dangerous Liaisons when you really want to put Weekend at Bernie's.

GoldenJCJ 11-14-19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13639925)
Or like listing, say, Dangerous Liaisons when you really want to put Weekend at Bernie's.

My 10 year old self would have definitely put Weekend at Bernie’s in his Top 10. :lol:

tanman 11-14-19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13640183)

My 10 year old self would have definitely put Weekend at Bernie’s in his Top 10. :lol:

That's a perfect example :)

tanman 11-14-19 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13639921)

Fight Club
Jurassic Park
From Dusk Until Dawn
Twister
The Lord of the Rings
The Dark Knight
Open Range
The Avengers
How to Train Your Dragon

I think my eyes saw How to Train Your Dragon first so I was thinking about cartoons and I thought you meant this movie:

:lol:

Hazel Motes 11-15-19 03:42 AM

I see what you did there.

Paff 11-15-19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13640376)
I see what you did there.

Sure, I used an example from pop culture (for those that didn't get it, it was a Friends reference). But seriously, while you may consider Seven Samurai to be one of the greatest films of all time (it is), aren't you far more likely to pop From Dusk Till Dawn in your player?? What is a "top film"? One that you feel is a great achievement in the art of motion pictures, or one that you enjoy more? The two can very much be mutually exclusive.

Nick Danger 11-15-19 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13640743)
Sure, I used an example from pop culture (for those that didn't get it, it was a Friends reference). But seriously, while you may consider Seven Samurai to be one of the greatest films of all time (it is), aren't you far more likely to pop From Dusk Till Dawn in your player?? What is a "top film"? One that you feel is a great achievement in the art of motion pictures, or one that you enjoy more? The two can very much be mutually exclusive.

I tried to choose great movies that I've watched more than once. City of God and Schindler's List are great movies, but I don't think I'll ever watch either of them again. Seven Samurai has great rewatchability, so it's on my list.

mwbmis 11-15-19 03:18 PM

That's ultimately the argument that got me to leave Schindler's List off of my list.

I used to host an annual Super Bowl party, and before the first person would arrive I would have Schindler's List queued up ready to hit play to show the first guest that was what I was doing with my afternoon prior to their arrival.

Norm de Plume 11-15-19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13640743)
What is a "top film"? One that you feel is a great achievement in the art of motion pictures, or one that you enjoy more? The two can very much be mutually exclusive.

To me they are not mutually exclusive. All films on my top-10 list are ones I could watch over and over (though I tend not to re-watch films very often), even the awfully depressing or slow-moving ones, because they provide a certain emotional, visceral, or cerebral reward.

davidlynchfan 11-15-19 05:31 PM

..and ultimately it’s up to the poster on how they want to do it.

dhmac 11-17-19 11:58 AM

I went with the "Desert Island" (aka "Deserted Island") view of this topic, so I picked the 10 movies I would want if they were the only ones I would ever be able to see at all.

orangerunner 11-17-19 12:14 PM

Here's my list based on re-play value and nostalgia and are not necessarily "great" films (in some opinion not even so-so films) in no particular order.

The Road Warrior
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Angel Heart
Lethal Weapon
Miami Blues
Goodfellas
No Man's Land (1987)
Johnny Handsome
Halloween (1978)
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Daytripper 11-17-19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13638740)
1) Planet of the Apes (1968)
2) Speed
3) Let Me In
4) Kingdom of Heaven (DC)
5) The Crow
6) The Time Machine (60)
7) Scarface
8) Lilya 4-Ever
9) Kill Bill Vol. 1
10) Passengers

Nice choice!

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13639921)

Fight Club
Jurassic Park
From Dusk Until Dawn
Twister
The Lord of the Rings
The Dark Knight
Open Range
The Avengers
How to Train Your Dragon

Nice variety of films. "Open Range" is one of the best westerns ever made. Not a fan of "Twister" though ;)

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13640279)
I think my eyes saw How to Train Your Dragon first so I was thinking about cartoons and I thought you meant this movie:

:lol:

HA! I'm one of the few people who doesn't hate this movie. It wouldn't be in Disney top 100. But it's an enjoyable film.

Kurt D 11-17-19 08:17 PM

I feel like Alien (obvious influences aside) is a perfect film. After that, my ability to make a list drops right off. Repo Man as number two?

david12 11-17-19 10:37 PM

Bill and teds excellent adventure
The Motorcycle diaries
dazed and confused
City lights
Dances with Wolves
Pulp fiction
T2
Doctor zhivago
Lost in translation
Back to school

wendersfan 11-18-19 12:36 PM

TOP TEN FAVORITE MOVIES LIST WITH AN ENTRY THAT REVEALS THE LIST-MAKER AS SOMEONE ONLY PRETENDING TO BE AN ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF CINEMA STUDIES AT AN AUSTRALIAN UNIVERSITY

1. Chikamatsu Monogatari (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
2. La Battaglia di Algeri (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1965)
3. Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966)
4. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)
5. Chimes at Midnight (Orson Welles, 1966)
6. La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)
7. L’eclisse (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962)
8. Caddyshack (Harold Ramis, 1980)
9. Sunrise (F.W. Murnau, 1927)
10. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975)

;)