Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 650 Likes on 395 Posts
Re: The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

After seeing Alexander Skarsgard's abs in the trailer I realized that he and I have the same trainer.
Old 04-12-22, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,317 Likes on 881 Posts
Re: The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

4 star review in "Ecran Large". Well worth "right click and translate" if you are French challenged.

The Northman : critique du véritable God of War
Old 04-13-22, 09:32 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Old 04-19-22, 12:39 PM

Red Band:

Old 04-20-22, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

Even Grace Randolph enjoyed this movie, which is surprising as Eggers isn't exactly her cup of tea. I am excited that we are getting both this and Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent on the same weekend. Sadly, I think they will both underperform as there seems to be little audience for the rated R movie in a post pandemic America. Movies with that rating were struggling before the pandemic, but this seemed to more or less put them out of commission.

Old 04-22-22, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 152 Posts

I enjoyed this movie immensely, though I wouldn't quite call it a masterpiece. The plot gets a little too predictable as the story winds down and I was hoping for an ending that was a little more off the beaten path than usual, since this is a Robert Eggers' movie after all, but what we get is kind of exactly what you would expect -- from a non-Eggers' movie. It's a perfectly satisfactory conclusion, but I wanted something a little more, uh, less conventional.

The major plot twist was something that I kind of saw of coming...
Spoiler:
I had a feeling that Ethan Hawke's character was going to be revealed as somewhat of a douchebag and his brother was not the inherently evil guy he was painted out to be at the beginning, and that the mom (Kidman) was content with her current arrangement and wasn't going to be happy seeing her long lost son again.

The visuals are ravishing, the performances are superb and the score is enthralling. I totally forgot Bjork was in this until I saw her name in the end credits. I guess she was playing the seeress in heavy makeup.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 04-22-22 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I plan to see this Monday. But it looks like this is going to bomb

I guess many don’t care to see an art house Vikings movie.
Old 04-23-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 417 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

https://twitter.com/ercboxoffice/sta...nWJD5YtbRbnCEg

I went and saw it Thursday night, and the tiny theater I was in was maybe 1/4 full. I thought it was great--more accessible than his previous movies and the story unfolded along with a really fascinating view of Viking life and culture. I'd give it 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5. My most anticipated movie of the year, which of course would be the kiss of death at the box office.
Old 04-23-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

I would have considered seeing this but my theater isn’t showing it.
Old 04-23-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 296 Likes on 188 Posts

I saw it last night. At times badass, at other times fucking weird, like Eggers' other movies. Worth checking out though.
Old 04-23-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this yesterday. Loved it overall, but knew it wouldn't have much mass appeal. While it probably would have underperformed regardless of when it opened, I think this may have been better off waiting until late September or early October for a release.
Spoiler:
the twist with Kidman was something I saw coming when I first found out this was the inspiration for Hamlet. It had a lot of callouts to the play, along with the queen being complicit in the murder and DeFoe as the Yorick character.
Old 04-23-22, 07:00 PM

I enjoyed it overall. Definitely Eggers’ most mass appealing film. The Dolby presentation was nice. Really good sound design.

It should be on PVOD in 3 weeks and hopefully make back some of that money. Eggers says the budget was $70mil, not $90.
Old 04-23-22, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts

Reported budgets seem to be all over the place these days. Every report has a different number from who knows where.
​​​​​
Old 04-23-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

https://twitter.com/ercboxoffice/sta...nWJD5YtbRbnCEg

Outside of this thread, I don’t think I’ve heard a single thing about this movie anywhere else.
Old 04-24-22, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Outside of this thread, I don’t think I’ve heard a single thing about this movie anywhere else.

They didn't market this movie for anything. I think I saw maybe one or two TV spots and they were very mis-leading. Then again, with a movie like this, that's about what you have to do.
Old 04-24-22, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts

I've seen plenty of ads on TV for it. But I think they only lean into a couple channels anymore.
Old 04-24-22, 01:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

Enjoyed this a lot. Saw it in a nearly empty Dolby Cinema.
4 rusty hatchets out of 5.
Old 04-24-22, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

It's hard to imagine a better revenge film than this.
Old 04-25-22, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 893 Likes on 577 Posts

I haven’t seen this yet, but that’s a pretty bold statement considering revenge films like Death Wish, Rolling Thunder, Unforgiven, Once Upon A Time In The West, etc… exist.
Old 04-25-22, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I haven’t seen this yet, but that’s a pretty bold statement considering revenge films like Death Wish, Rolling Thunder, Unforgiven, Once Upon A Time In The West, etc… exist.
I haven't seen Death Wish, though I have the first three on blu-ray so I'll dive into them soon, or Rolling Thunder. Unforgiven and Once Upon a Time in the West are both very good, but Westerns are not my favorite genre. The Northman is primal, brutal, and epic; yet for all of the savagery it still managed to be quite nuanced. The soundtrack and performances are both very intense, and my adrenaline was pumping for hours after watching it.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 04-25-22 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 07:38 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I really really liked it. It'll probably be in my top 5 of the year.

I can see the faults of those being critical of it. Would love to see an extended/director's cut, if one exists. Someone on Reddit claimed the MPAA made them choose between violence or nudity to keep it R
Spoiler:
Something that I would LOVE to see is a cut from the perspective of Fjolnir and his family. I'm not sure he specifically did anything wrong, and it would almost feel like a horror movie.

Old 04-29-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

After seeing this movie, I was ready to strip down to a loincloth and kill a deer with my bare hands.

My wife convinced me that putting my jacket back on and stopping for pizza on the way home was a better alternative.
Old 04-30-22, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I finally saw this today. I was expecting the theater to be near empty, but there was probably 25+ in a 40 seat auditorium.

Anyways, I liked it., but didn't love it. It does have some weird fantasy elements to it, but overall it's basically Shakespearean revenge drama. Not some all out badass Vikings war movie. There are some pretty badass and violent kills. I was a little surprised by the "twist" in the storyline. The final fight scene at the "Gates of Hel" was pretty tense, dark, brutal and violent. It was the perfect end to what went on with these characters.

I'm not a huge Skarsgard fan, but I thought he was solid in this. I enjoyed seeing it, but it's highly unlikely I would ever re-watch this again.
Old 05-02-22, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 171 Likes on 137 Posts

Just came back from seeing this and found it somewhat underwhelming. I quite enjoyed The Witch and loved The Lighthouse to pieces, but The Northman didn't grab me the way those other two films did. I liked the action and the acting, but there's just something about it that didn't click with me. I'm going to have to mull this one over to figure out why I wasn't overly taken with it.
Old 05-04-22, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Caught up on movies this week before Dr Strange takes over all of the premium screens. This one met my expectations for sure - a visual and audio treat with the Dolby presentation. As expected, great atmosphere... strong acting all around. I agree it's definitely the most accessible of his films so far. Skarsgard's physique was impressive - I honestly wasn't sure if his shoulders had some help in the makeup department. (it looks like they give him a bigger nose, etc) The way he was purposefully hunched over most of the time reminded me of Frazetta's fantasy drawings. (Conan, etc) Had to have been intentional on their part.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.