Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Robert Eggers on Using CGI Genitals in The Northman
Old 05-08-22, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I enjoyed this movie immensely, though I wouldn't quite call it a masterpiece. The plot gets a little too predictable as the story winds down and I was hoping for an ending that was a little more off the beaten path than usual, since this is a Robert Eggers' movie after all, but what we get is kind of exactly what you would expect -- from a non-Eggers' movie. It's a perfectly satisfactory conclusion, but I wanted something a little more, uh, less conventional.
Finally saw this last night and more or less agree with most of what you mentioned.

It has just enough of Robert Eggers' weirdness to keep it a little above a standard Viking Revenge film but is by far his more accessible film to date.

My friend who came along, also saw The Lighthouse (2019) with me and enjoyed this film quite a bit more.
Old 05-10-22, 08:59 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

PVOD on Friday.

Old 05-10-22, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Finally saw this tonight. It's really, really good, but I don't think nearly enough is being made about how much of a technical triumph this movie is. While the story itself is fairly simplistic, and nothing we haven't seen before (it is Hamlet after all), as a production achievement, this is second to none. It may be too late at this point, but anyone considering seeing this really should make the effort to see it in the best theater possible. You won't regret it. I was in awe for 2 straight hours.
​​​​
​​​​​
Old 05-11-22, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Finally saw this tonight. It's really, really good, but I don't think nearly enough is being made about how much of a technical triumph this movie is. While the story itself is fairly simplistic, and nothing we haven't seen before (it is Hamlet after all), as a production achievement, this is second to none. It may be too late at this point, but anyone considering seeing this really should make the effort to see it in the best theater possible. You won't regret it. I was in awe for 2 straight hours.
​​​​
​​​​​

This surprises me coming from you. I expect a bloody spectacle and nothing more. I will enjoy it this weekend.

Thank you for the review
Old 05-11-22, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
This surprises me coming from you. I expect a bloody spectacle and nothing more. I will enjoy it this weekend.

Thank you for the review
Don't get me wrong, it is a bloody spectacle, but not necessarily a very action heavy one. It's actually a fairly slow and quiet movie for much of it's runtime, but it is still a movie about a sweaty, muscular dude plotting to brutally murder another sweaty, muscular dude (and many others along the way) for 2 straight hours.

I think more than anything I'm just astounded that someone gave Eggers $100 million to make this. It's feels too weird and art housey for the blockbuster crowd and too much of a violent, testosterone fueled spectacle for the art house crowd.
Old 05-12-22, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Probably the most metal movie I’ve seen since “Mandy.” It sags a little in the middle - but goes full vengeance in the end. Sure, it’s Hamlet, but it’s a good visceral take on it. Oddly the parts I liked the most were the most Eggers surreal bits and I think those were parts the rest of audience liked the least. 😏
Old 05-12-22, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I was hoping this was an Eric Northman prequel
Old 05-12-22, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I think more than anything I'm just astounded that someone gave Eggers $100 million to make this.
I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on movie budgets, but I'm shocked this is a $100 million budget. Isn't like 70% of the movie people standing around in the woods? Sure, it's elegantly made, probably with all the best high end cameras and crew, but I'm having trouble imagining how a very low budget version of this movie would be any different other than losing slickness. I can't imagine a lot of the budget went to paying "above the line salaries". Maybe it's more expensive making a movie under COVID restrictions.
Old 05-12-22, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on movie budgets, but I'm shocked this is a $100 million budget. Isn't like 70% of the movie people standing around in the woods? Sure, it's elegantly made, probably with all the best high end cameras and crew, but I'm having trouble imagining how a very low budget version of this movie would be any different other than losing slickness. I can't imagine a lot of the budget went to paying "above the line salaries". Maybe it's more expensive making a movie under COVID restrictions.
$100 million is probably overstating things. Wikipedia says $70-90 million. Either way, they had to build sets and shot on multiple locations, including water stuff. There's that village raid sequence with long extended tracking shots and dozens of extras that obviously had to be tightly choreographed. Throw in a myriad of special effects (both digital and practical) and meticulously researched costumes and production design. It all adds up.
Old 05-12-22, 06:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Looks like it’s available now. I’ll pick it up when it’s on sale in a few weeks.
Old 05-12-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Koby; 08-12-22 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

$100 million is probably overstating things. Wikipedia says $70-90 million. Either way, they had to build sets and shot on multiple locations, including water stuff. There's that village raid sequence with long extended tracking shots and dozens of extras that obviously had to be tightly choreographed. Throw in a myriad of special effects (both digital and practical) and meticulously researched costumes and production design. It all adds up.
Yeah, that makes sense. I think I'm just old, cause I remember being astounded when I heard the budget of Terminator 2 was going to be $100 million, but then saw that reflected on-screen. I'm forgetting that was 30 years ago, and $100 million wouldn't go as far today
Old 05-15-22, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Vikings tv show and Last Kingdom both were better.
Would've been more impressed with this film had I not watched those shows. It's fine, it's just nothing remarkable. Anya Taylor-Joy doesn't have much to do, but shit, she's a hottie.

70 million budget seems about right if that includes prints and ads (which is about 20 mil at least for bigger releases). Lots of name actors, lots of sets needed to be built, lots of extras etc.
Old 05-15-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Got a digital copy yesterday. It's currently #1 on Apple movies, so hopefully it will start to recoup some of its lost money.
Old 05-22-22, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I looked this movie up after seeing it, and found out the story of the main character Amleth is a Scandinavian legend that was the direct inspiration of Shakepeare's Hamlet. (No wonder his name sounded a lot like "Hamlet" when pronounced in the movie.)

( WIKIPEDIA LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amleth )

The following users liked this post:
DaveyJoe (05-22-22)
Old 05-22-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This short video explains a lot of the symbolism in the movie:

Spoiler:

(I'm glad I didn't see this video before watching the movie, but wish I had known this stuff going in. It will make a repeat viewing more meaningful.)

(spoiler tagged just to hide the video)
Old 05-31-22, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

7 out of 10 for me. Come for the visual splendor, exquisite cinematography, and stellar acting across the board. That's your money.

Appreciate (at best) the perfunctory story, nihilistic worldview, and a protagonist with a singular mode and motivation throughout the entire film.

I loved looking at this movie to death. Blu-Ray purchase for sure. It's absolutely breathtaking to admire. But the story doesn't really seem to say much of anything, except to present a time, place, and attitude. Fate is inexorable, dedication to an ideal at the expense of your own happiness is a self-fulfilling grave, etc. etc. It's like taking a Bentley to pick up late-night drive-thru. But man that car is undeniably exquisite, and that 2 AM burger tastes pretty OK.
Old 06-01-22, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Just a head's up, for anyone who has Peacock (think Premium version), this will be streaming on June 6th.
Old 06-02-22, 08:36 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Just a head's up, for anyone who has Peacock (think Premium version), this will be streaming on June 6th.
The email I got says tomorrow.
Old 06-04-22, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

This is now up on Peacock if you have a subscription.
The following users liked this post:
TheMovieman (06-04-22)
Old 06-06-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Yeah, that makes sense. I think I'm just old, cause I remember being astounded when I heard the budget of Terminator 2 was going to be $100 million, but then saw that reflected on-screen. I'm forgetting that was 30 years ago, and $100 million wouldn't go as far today
T2's $100 million budget would be about $213 million in 2022 dollars, or your average Star Wars/Marvel movie. Conversely, $100 million in 2022 is the equivalent of $45 million in 1990. What was a $45m budgeted movie in 1990? The Adventures of Ford Fairlaine, Back To The Future III, or Dick Tracy.
Old 06-06-22, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

^ Star Wars are closer to $300m now allegedly, but yeah $100m (or $70m, whatever this actually cost) isn't what it used to be.
Old 06-11-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Watched the 4K disc last night (missed it in theaters) and thought it was awesome. It's one of the best films of the year, IMO.
Old 06-17-22, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Didn’t care for this one all that much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.