Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix -- new film in development by WB / Zak Penn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Matrix -- new film in development by WB / Zak Penn

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 04:25 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
re: The Matrix 4 (D: Lana Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss

Screenwriter Zak Penn has revealed some of his plans for his upcoming Matrix movie. The Ready Player One scribe has certainly built up a significant amount of nerd cred over the course of his impressive career. With writing credits for films such as X2: X-Men United, Elektra, X-Men: The Last Stand, The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers, Penn has made his mark on the superhero genre in a way not many can match.

Penn has taken on some major genre pictures during his time, but nothing he’s done compares to his task of bringing back the Matrix franchise. While talking to Screen Rant about his work with superhero films (he explains that he did write a draft of Suicide Squad 2 as a favor), Penn gave us an update on some of his upcoming projects. In the first of a three part series, Penn gave some insight into his plans for one of his passion projects: The Matrix.

Zak Penn: I’ve been working on Matrix right now. Which is in…a phase right now. That’s a franchise I desperately want to see brought back and, I can’t go in to too much detail, but I’ve been harassing Warner Bros. for years to try to get it going again so that’s one thing I’m working on and I’ve been working on a bunch of other things too.

I want to hug you for that. I love The Matrix.

Penn: I will fight people who don’t under…look, I think OASIS (the interconnected virtual space in Ready Player One) is similar, both the Matrix and OASIS are similar in that they are brilliant ideas for universes. And they are not, you know, when it came out about Matrix, people were like ‘Oh no, there going to reboot Matrix’ I was like, Why, I’m not insane. I mean, the Matrix is still one of my favorite…they’d re-release The Matrix and people would go see it.

That movie was mind blowing.

Penn: I was at the premiere and I was still like, this was better than I ever expected. So I just think that universe is brilliant, I think OASIS is like the action-comedy version of that and it doesn’t always have to be the same characters, you could go in so many different directions so…

The Matrix, which debuted in early 1999, opened the minds of audiences to some wild ideas and was certainly a revolutionary film in terms of its VFX. Two successful sequels followed, both in 2003, as did an animated collection of short films, The Animatrix, that gave fans some exposition about how the Matrix came to be. Penn has been very protective of his plans for The Matrix in the past, insisting that it would be neither a continuation of the trilogy nor a reboot. Based on his comments here, it seems that Penn’s Matrix film(s) might just be about an entirely different set of characters who happen to inhabit the Matrix, expanding the universe beyond the keyhole view we get from the perspective of Neo and crew in the originals.

The idea of shared or expanded universes is certainly an interesting one. With Marvel Studios, Warner Bros. and Universal all building their own versions of them, they’ve become more common but they also carry great risk. Given the number of moving parts and dangling threads, it’s no easy task to structure movies not only as individual stories but also as pieces of a greater narrative, but here’s to hoping that Penn’s passion for the project and his experience with comic book films can help him bring The Matrix to a new generation of fans.
https://screenrant.com/matrix-reboot...ared-universe/
Old 03-19-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like that Elektra and X-Men The Last Stand get name dropped in that article.
Old 03-19-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Sounds like the writer is trying to figure out a way to make a popular movie without Neo..."in a phase."
Old 03-20-18, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF is all of these reboots?
Can't Hollywood come up with original ideas anymore?
Like everything else in America these days; it's the pursuit of the almighty dollar.
Old 03-20-18, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
WTF is all of these reboots?
Can't Hollywood come up with original ideas anymore?
Like everything else in America these days; it's the pursuit of the almighty dollar.
Last time I checked, businesses are supposed to make money.
Old 03-20-18, 07:33 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Last time I checked, businesses are supposed to make money.
Old 03-20-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Eh, whatever - I'm cool with remake - just lose all the sunglasses - that was pretty much the goofiest part of those flicks.
Old 03-20-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Where will they find a phone booth in 2019?
Old 03-20-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Eh, whatever - I'm cool with remake - just lose all the sunglasses - that was pretty much the goofiest part of those flicks.
The movie's leather fetish and posturing hasn't aged well either.
Old 03-20-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The movie's leather fetish and posturing hasn't aged well either.
Ha, yeah...how could I forget. So funny you mention the posturing.
Old 03-21-18, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well the Matrix is coming to Ultra HD in May and I'll take that any day over a reboot which apparently is the only thing Hollywood can do since they lack real ideas, imagination & stories. If it weren't for Marvel already having the characters in place, Hollywood would be a ghost town....

...did like the Where will they find a Phone Booth.I can see people in the audience asking, "What is that he got in and what is that he's talking into?".......
Old 03-21-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

First movie was fantastic. Sequels had some good moments, and thats me being kind.

This series had limitless potential, and it got wasted by two directors who wanted to come off as intellectual. The piss poor effects didn't help.

I am open to a continuation of the series, just as long as they realize that literally anything is possible in this world and they should utilize that notion. It doesn't have to always boil down to a slugfest or a shoot out. Be imaginative. Oh wait, its Hollywood. Yeah, that aint happening.
Old 03-21-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Word has it that Akiva Goldsman is going to be leading the writer's room for the expanded universe.
Old 03-21-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
First movie was fantastic.
Being release in 4K UHD on May 22nd.
Old 03-21-18, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Word has it that Akiva Goldsman is going to be leading the writer's room for the expanded universe.
Old 03-21-18, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I still remember when I first seen the matrix trailer on TV and it had an Enigma song as the background and I said "woah".

Some original movies got a magic about them. Matrix is one of them. I can't say the same for the sequels though because they were way too out there to be taken seriously.
Old 03-21-18, 11:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I loved that Enigma teaser.

I find it amusing people are okay with a reboot so the outfits and stuff can be updated. There’s no need for a reboot. New generations need to come up with their own original material. But it’s WB, so they’re incapable of stuff like that.
Old 03-21-18, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I loved that Enigma teaser.

I find it amusing people are okay with a reboot so the outfits and stuff can be updated. There’s no need for a reboot. New generations need to come up with their own original material. But it’s WB, so they’re incapable of stuff like that.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 03-22-18, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

From previous articles it sounded like another movie in the universe/world, not necessarily a reboot/remake.
Old 03-22-18, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Irony: I don’t want a reboot of the movie series that prominently featured reboots as a central plot element. If any series could justify a reboot plot-wise, this is it. My answer is still no though.
Old 03-22-18, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Man I'm cynical about movies these days. Lately whenever I hear about a reboot/remake/reimagining/sequel/prequel/franchise/cinematic universe, more than anything I just want to see it fail. I'd rather see a franchise movie sink a studio, than see a great franchise movie.
Old 03-22-18, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Man I'm cynical about movies these days. Lately whenever I hear about a reboot/remake/reimagining/sequel/prequel/franchise/cinematic universe, more than anything I just want to see it fail. I'd rather see a franchise movie sink a studio, than see a great franchise movie.
I'm cynical too, but I'm not sure I am at your level yet.
Old 03-22-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The Matrix: Rebooted