Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Face/Off - sequel (D: Wingard)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Face/Off - sequel (D: Wingard)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Face/Off - sequel (D: Wingard)

I watched a (somewhat) recent clip with Nicolas Cage where he was talking about Face/Off. He said he really only got to play Castor Troy for the first few minutes of the movie and then Travolta took over. He said he would like to revisit the character where he would be able to play Castor throughout.

Maybe they’ll be able to retrofit him back into the sequel with, I don’t know, future tech science or so thing.
Old 02-17-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I watched a (somewhat) recent clip with Nicolas Cage where he was talking about Face/Off. He said he really only got to play Castor Troy for the first few minutes of the movie and then Travolta took over. He said he would like to revisit the character where he would be able to play Castor throughout.

Maybe they’ll be able to retrofit him back into the sequel with, I don’t know, future tech science or so thing.
Cage played Castor for a lot longer than that. I don't remember when the face switch exactly took place but I'm guessing it was at least 45 min. into the movie. And Travolta sure had fun playing Castor afterwards. The image from the movie that first comes into my mind when I recall it is that shot of Travolta as Castor-as-Archer cockily striding down the aisle of the FBI office in self-congratulation after defusing the bomb he himself had planted.
Old 02-17-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Cage played Castor for a lot longer than that. I don't remember when the face switch exactly took place but I'm guessing it was at least 45 min. into the movie. And Travolta sure had fun playing Castor afterwards. The image from the movie that first comes into my mind when I recall it is that shot of Travolta as Castor-as-Archer cockily striding down the aisle of the FBI office in self-congratulation after defusing the bomb he himself had planted.
Yeah but Castor was in a coma after the initial shootout.
Old 02-17-21, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
What actors working today could give such insane performances in the same vein of Travolta and Cage? I honestly don’t know.
I wouldn’t watch it, but maybe Jared Leto and Shia LaBeouf.

How about a self-aware comedic retelling with Matt Berry and Jack Black? That could be insane enough to possibly work.
Old 02-18-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

The Rock and Kevin Hart!
Old 03-19-21, 01:40 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Paramount hired Adam Wingard to direct and Simon Barrett to write a new Face/Off movie. There had already been nearly two years of development on a Face/Off remake with different filmmakers. Wingard excited fans when he revealed he was making a sequel to Face/Off. Now, Wingard tells Showbiz Cheat Sheet that he does indeed want John Travolta and Nicolas Cage to reprise their roles in Face/Off 2.

Wingard spoke with Showbiz Cheat Sheet about his latest film, Godzilla Vs. Kong. We’ll have a lot more with Wingard about the monster movie before it premieres March 31 in theaters and HBO Max. First, here is what he said about Travolta and Cage reprising their roles in his Face/Off 2.

In Face/Off, Sean Archer (Travolta) was on the trail of Castor Troy (Cage), who killed Archer’s son. When Archer captures Troy, he must switch faces with his enemy to go undercover and find out where Troy has planted a bomb. Unfortunately, Troy wakes up and takes Archer’s face. The film ends with Archer getting his face back, but Wingard has more in store for them in Face/Off 2.

“Some people just assume when I say that that it just means it takes place in the world of Face/Off,” Wingard said. “To me, Face/Off isn’t about a procedure or anything like that. It’s not about the world that the characters exist in. It’s about Sean Archer and it’s about Castor Troy. That’s what this movie is about. It’s the continuation of that story. It’s hard to talk about other than that but this is, to me, the definitive continuation of that saga.”

There were other directions in which a Face/Off 2 could have gone. It could have been two entirely different people switching faces. It could have dealt with the aftermath of the Archer/Troy swap. However, to make a sequel about Archer and Troy requires the participation of Travolta and Cage. Wingard says the actors are interested, but they still get script approval.

“We’re still writing the script so it’s still in early phases,” Wingard said. “Simon and I are very close to turning in our draft to Paramount soon. We’ll have to get over those hurdles of do they like this movie? They’ve read our outline. Everybody’s on board with it but actually turning in the script’s a different thing so we’ll see how everybody reacts to it.”

The return of Castor Troy and Sean Archer also overlooks the minor detail that Archer presumably killed Troy at the end of Face/Off. That’s never been an issue for movies. We saw his body collapse, but he woke up without a face so he can wake up from that. Perhaps they can meet up with other people who switch faces. Maybe this time, two women could switch faces. Sounds like that’s not where Barrett and Wingard are going with Face/Off 2.

“It’s not that I would be opposed to that but again, this is a story about Sean Archer and Castor Troy,” Wingard said. “To stick with that, the story is leading us in a very specific direction.”
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-classic.html/
Old 03-19-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

I wonder if they will switch hairpieces as well.
Old 03-19-21, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm interested in a proper sequel. I had no interest in a Remake.
Old 03-19-21, 05:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hopefully both Cage and Travolta are available!
Old 03-19-21, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Wow, scrolling through this thread, I have made two separate "both guys are now bald" jokes.
Old 03-20-21, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, scrolling through this thread, I have made two separate "both guys are now bald" jokes.
The first one was funny, though, more subtle.
Old 06-13-22, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Bumping this thread because a post with pictures from the cover of Empire magazine in the Amazon Prime Lord Of The Rings thread reminds me that Face / Off 2 is coming out. I had forgot that we had a thread for the sequel and yeah, this film is still coming out. Might check out that issue of Empire to learn a bit more about some of the films/TV series that are coming out fairly soon.

Just a few years back I got the itch to watch the film again when it showed up airing on a premium cable channel, and it actually holds up pretty well on what was my 2nd or most likely 3rd viewing of the film (I believe I also watched the film on either Laserdisc or DVD, so theater, Laserdisc/DVD, and cable viewings for me). I had forgot how crazy, or gonzo the film is at times, with both Nic Cage and Travolta just chewing up the scenery with their over the top acting.

One can only hope the sequel is remotely as fun to watch.
Old 06-13-22, 12:30 PM

It is still a ways off. This was the update Wingard gave to Empire:

We’ve seen Nicolas Cage do a lot of wild and weird things on screen – running around with explosives strapped to his testicles in Prisoners Of The Ghostland, making out with a model of his younger self in The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent, and becoming a skeletal, flame-ridden motorcyclist in Ghost Rider, to name but a few. However, nothing quite comes close to the ludicrous idea of Cage’s murderous terrorist Castor Troy literally swapping faces with John Travolta’s Sean Archer, aka the FBI agent hunting him down, in John Woo’s gloriously demented Face/Off, all the way back in 1997. Though rumours have swirled of a Face/Off sequel for a while now, nothing has quite materialised yet – but filmmaker Adam Wingard reckons he and regular collaborator Simon Barrett are close to cracking it.

Wingard, who previously directed The Guest and Godzilla Vs Kong, has been working on a Face/Off follow-up with Barrett for a while now – and their take is “an absolute sequel” that would see Cage return, despite (spoiler alert!) Troy meeting the sharp end of a harpoon in the first film’s frenetic finale. “He’s just having such a moment. Even before Pig came out, we saw this as a Nicolas Cage movie,” Wingard tells Empire, in the forthcoming The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power issue. “That’s become totally the obvious way to go now. A couple of years ago, the studio maybe would have wanted a hot, young, up-and-coming actor or something. Now, Nicolas Cage is one of the hottest actors in Hollywood again.”

Though Cage isn’t officially on board just yet (a month ago he stated that the new movie's producer Neal H. Moritz had spoken to him about returning to star), the script will be heading his way soon, once Wingard and Barrett perfect the next draft. “We’re really honing in on it,” Wingard says. “We’re not going to share it until everybody’s like, ‘This is the one.’” Devising a belated sequel to one of the most beloved, ridiculously-plotted movies ever, starring one of Hollywood’s most eccentric and prolific leading men isn’t an easy task – but Wingard is confident that he and Barrett are “the perfect team” for the job. “I think we really got it,” he says. “It has been probably the most challenging script we’ve ever worked on, for a lot of reasons. There’s so much pressure in wanting to make sure that it lives up to the legacy of that project. But every draft you have these things that just click in, and you’re like, ‘A-ha! That’s really what Face/Off is!’” Rest assured, if it comes together, we will be pointing our faces – or, whoever’s face we’re wearing that day – right at the big screen.
Old 01-06-23, 06:21 PM

Collider's Steve Weintraub caught up with Cage on the promotional trail for his upcoming western, The Old Way, and when asked about Cage's interest in returning to the role, as well as the likelihood of it happening under director Adam Wingard, Cage offered the positive-sounding update on progress. The actor revealed that his initial discussions for the film included a plot that would feature Castor Troy and Sean Archer having children who grow up destined to, yes, face off against each other. There's an added twist as well about how their fathers play into the story. As Cage explained:

"I think Face/Off is a sequel that lends itself to a lot of twists and turns and unpredictability. It's almost like if you factor in the idea of offspring and Castor and Sean having children and these children grow up, then it becomes like three-dimensional chess, and then it's not just the two, John Travolta and myself, it's four of us ping-ponging and going at different levels, and it becomes even more complex. I think there's a lot of fertile ground there. I had maybe one meeting in an office, but I haven't heard anything since, so I don't know."

Cage also spoke warmly on the prospect of Wingard taking over the director's seat from Woo, having recently finished a movie that showcased two other cinematic legends battling against one another. "He's great, and I think we share similar tastes," Cage added. "We have similar sensibilities. I liked everything he did with Godzilla vs. Kong and I think that he's smart. He has respect for cinema and various kinds of iconography. I think it would be great."
https://collider.com/face-off-2-plot...ibextid=Zxz2cZ
Old 01-06-23, 06:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

This is beyond absurd. Of course, that’s what I said about the first and loved it.
Old 01-07-23, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
True Grit wasn't a reboot. It was an adaptation of a novel.
I think Paramount Pictures wanted to re-boot a famous John Wayne western, the Coen Brothers wanted to adapt a novel.
Old 01-07-23, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

In a strange way I think bringing back Nicolas Cage and John Travolta might not be that bad of an idea. With newer digital technology, the two actors can play their own character all the way through the movie but have the face-switch more literal with computer-generated technology. Computer generated faces often don't look quite right anyway which could help lend some plausibility to the physical face-switch. At least the body, voice and mannerisms would be consistent and the actors wouldn't need to "act" like one another to pull-off the gimmick.