Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black and Blue (2019, D: Taylor) -- S: Naomie Harris, Tyrese Gibson, Frank Grillo

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black and Blue (2019, D: Taylor) -- S: Naomie Harris, Tyrese Gibson, Frank Grillo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

BLACK AND BLUE is a fast-paced action thriller about a rookie cop (Naomie Harris) who inadvertently captures the murder of a young drug dealer on her body cam. After realizing that the murder was committed by corrupt cops, she teams up with the one person from her community who is willing to help her (Tyrese Gibson) as she tries to escape both the criminals out for revenge and the police who are desperate to destroy the incriminating footage.

This comes out October 25th.

It's from the writer of Flightplan and the director of Traffik.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-10-20 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-23-19, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Black and Blue (2019, D: Taylor) -- S: Naomie Harris, Tyrese Gibson, Frank Grillo

This opens this weekend. AMC theatres have been playing the trailers quite frequently and I've seen ads around Los Angeles.

Currently 56% at RT, so opens are about split on this.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_and_blue_2019
Old 10-26-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Black and Blue (2019, D: Taylor) -- S: Naomie Harris, Tyrese Gibson, Frank Grillo

Naomie Harris really carries the film and Tyrese is Tyrese. I was with it until the ending which had me scrambling to see who wrote the film.

Spoiler:
The fact that the partner, who has been turning a blind eye to corruption for quite some time and who was willing to sell West out and cover up multiple murders, gets a hero moment at the end pissed me off. No, he should be in jail for conspiracy and obstruction of justice.
Old 10-27-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing this. Surprisingly it was a full house.

Anyways, I thought Naomie Harris was quite good in this. Tyrese wasn't annoying. Frank Grillo was being Frank Grillo. Playing another sleazy character. Harris really carried the movie and was engaging. Is this the next great police action thriller? No. It's fairly predictable police corruption drama with 1 vs many. Mike Colter was hilarious being a really cartoonish drug dealer.

and I agree with ^^ Lisa's opinion about that spoiler.

and this was obviously made without the cooperation of the New Orleans PD. They changed the logo to PDNO. Probably didn't want to make the city look bad.

I'll give it a B- mainly because Naomie Harris's performance carried what was otherwise a pretty by the numbers movie.
Old 10-30-19, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I thought the spoiler was set up and was fully expecting it to play out like that or in some similar manner. What I thought was silly about the ending was that the simple act of
Spoiler:
uploading the video had it appear on the captain's computer who was then able to relay immediately to everyone who the good guys and bad guys were. After his hero moment the partner was put in cuffs even though he's not in the video...there would be no immediate evidence of his corruption. Then the swat guys telling her good job. They have no idea what she did.

I thought the ending was so stupid that it undermined anything good the movie did before it.
Old 01-10-20, 09:07 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just hated the lead character. I wanted to see her caught and killed for being such a righteous idiot. They were so incompetent chasing her and like she kept getting out of sight within seconds.

But the movie kept me watching

Old 05-26-20, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

It was on Starz.

What I don't get is
Spoiler:
Tyrese as the grocery clerk knows how to upload that video at the police station?