Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won’t be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don’t believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.

Now, it’s easy to say that Feige has enough on his plate, especially after taking control of the X-Men universe in the Fox acquisition, including the Deadpool franchise, along with architecting the next phase of the Marvel superhero universe and building movies and shows for Disney +. But I’m told Feige loves Spider-Man, arguably the biggest superhero character in the Marvel canon. He would have continued if Disney and Sony could have reached new deal terms.

Essentially Sony has made a decision that is similar to saying, thank you, but we think we can win the championship without Michael Jordan. After all, Feige’s first decade at Marvel is largely unblemished and his consistency has been nothing short of historic: even George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson haven’t seen everything turn into a hit, and so maybe only James Cameron has the success record that Feige has achieved. But Feige has done it all in the last 10 years, producing and overseeing 23 superheros, with not a flop in the bunch. They’ve all been number one openers that have collectively grossed $26.8 billion. Feige this year became the producer of the top grossing film ever for two studios — Sony and Disney — and he produced three of the top four highest grossing films this year in Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man: Far From Home. This after scoring the first ever Best Picture Oscar nom for a superhero film last year with Black Panther. I can’t think of a Hollywood producer/executive who has done anything close to this.

And the launch of the new iteration of Spider-Man was done brilliantly with Marvel’s support and help. It has been a boon to both studios. Tom Holland’s character was introduced in the Joe & Anthony Russo-directed 2016 blockbuster Captain America: Civil War, the film that set up the two record breaking Avengers films. Sony’s first rebooted Spidey film, 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, rode that Marvel wave and grossed $880 million worldwide, and then the webslinger was a key character in the two Avengers films, leading to the Spidey sequel that this week became Sony’s top grossing film ever.

Sources said Disney’s top brass for the past several months has sought new terms for Feige and the Marvel cross-pollination to continue. As the Spider-Man relationship grew, Feige and Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman spoke about the possibility of a wider involvement in the Sony-controlled Spider-man universe, which contains 900 characters. I’m told that Feige lent an unofficial hand with the blockbuster Venom, but I’ve also been told that that film was far from the polished product that grossed $856 million worldwide, until Rothman himself spent a good long time in the editing room helping to get it there.

It is understandable that the fiscally shrewd Rothman would balk at giving up half of Sony’s biggest franchise to Marvel. After all, Marvel already owns the merchandising on Spider-Man. Does the Mouse really need half of the movie universe also? Sony so far has decided that as valuable as Feige is, Disney is asking too high a price.

Sources said that Sony reasoned that they will be fine, without Feige. The creative template has been set on the Spider-Man films, and Watt and Holland are in place along with Amy Pascal, who became producer with Feige after she exited the executive suite after presiding over the previous Spider-man iterations directed by Sam Raimi and Marc Webb as Sony Pictures chief.

The Venom sequel is well underway with Andy Serkis directing Tom Hardy, and there is Morbius with Jared Leto, Kraven The Hunter, and another spinoff with the characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. And a Sinister Six film that got shelved. Sony, which once felt the ticking clock of generating a Spider-Man film every three or so years to prevent a rights reversion to Disney, now has plenty of pictures to make. And the studio also won the Best Animated Feature Oscar for Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, a smash hit they made on their own.

No comment from Marvel/Disney, Feige or Sony Pictures.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-f...er-1202672545/

Last edited by dex14; 08-20-19 at 03:59 PM. Reason: revised to include entire article with details
Old 08-20-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (7/2/2019, D: Watts)

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
So Sony wants to go back to shitty Spider-Man movies? Great plan, gang.
Old 08-20-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Sony is beyond stupid for this move. I guess they don't care for the money Spider-Man has brought them since the move to the MCU. What a waste!
Old 08-20-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Sony is fucking stupid. So no more Spider-Man in the MCU then?
Old 08-20-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

That sucks but I can see why Sony is unwilling to share the profits. Now, how drastic is the quality of the movies going to drop?
Old 08-20-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Well that’s really great. Cliffhanger off of this film that potentially will never play out and losing Holland as Spider-Man. Fucking Sony.
Old 08-20-19, 03:33 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

What the fuck.

They gotta work this out.
Old 08-20-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Every nerd website and YouTube page is probably losing their minds with this news.

I saw that Sony plans to still use Tom Holland in future movies. But, now not having any tie-in to the MCU really sucks if they indeed don't work this out.
Old 08-20-19, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well that’s really great. Cliffhanger off of this film that potentially will never play out and losing Holland as Spider-Man. Fucking Sony.
They are still making a third film with Watts directing and Holland starring. It just won't have Feige producing and won't allow for crossovers.
Old 08-20-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Just curious, why is everyone shoving the blame on Sony and not Disney for letting Sony in on the franchise they control?
Old 08-20-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
They are still making a third film with Watts directing and Holland starring. It just won't have Feige producing and won't allow for crossovers.
I thought it was basically that if Marvel Studios wasn’t involved that Sony isn’t allowed to use Holland as Spider-Man any longer. He’s essentially a Marvel Studios employee. The only thing that might allow them a work around is that he was signed for six appearances and has only had five of those fulfilled.
Old 08-20-19, 03:45 PM

I thought it was basically that if Marvel Studios wasn’t involved that Sony isn’t allowed to use Holland as Spider-Man any longer. He’s essentially a Marvel Studios employee. The only thing that might allow them a work around is that he was signed for six appearances and has only had five of those fulfilled.
No, I do not believe that is accurate. There is still every intention of making another film with the same people. Just without Marvel/Disney executives and creative.

In the article it even says two more.
Old 08-20-19, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
Just curious, why is everyone shoving the blame on Sony and not Disney for letting Sony in on the franchise they control?
Feige just delivered Sony their highest grossing film of all time. The franchise was burning out before this agreement. Disney asks for 50/50 going forward and Sony understandbly says no. Currently Disney gets like 5%. There is room to work here and Sony should've expected it and came back with a reasonable offer. The success is because of the MCU crossover.
Old 08-20-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland

Sony didn't want to share 50/50 profit. They proposed to keep the arrangement as previously agreed, Disney refused. So Feige said he was out. However, sounds like there is still 2 Spidey films with Holland planned, just that Feige won't oversee them.
Old 08-20-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I do not believe that is accurate. There is still every intention of making another film with the same people. Just without Marvel/Disney executives and creative.

In the article it even says two more.
I’m fairly certain that’s wrong. Why would Marvel Studios/Disney just let Sony continue to leech off of something they made a success if they’re no longer involved?

This article from last month even made mention of Holland’s status as the character being dependent on the relationship between Marvel Studios and Sony. I’m pretty positive I’ve heard that other places too.

Tom Holland's Marvel Contract: How Many Spider-Man Movies Does He Have Left?

Tom Holland's Spider-Man has quickly grown into one of the most important characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the last few years. That's even more true in the wake of Avengers: Endgame, as the MCU is distressingly short on Avengers even as newer and bigger threats loom on the horizon. This raises an important question - how many movies does actor Tom Holland have left on his Marvel contract? Will we even get another solo Spider-Man movie in the MCU?The short answer is, yes, most likely. While there have sometimes been conflicting reports over the years regarding exactly how many movies Holland signed on for, the actor is currently under a six-picture contract with Marvel Studios. This was confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter back in 2016. According to THR, Holland's contract covers three solo Spider-Man movies and three other MCU projects.For those keeping track, that means Holland has completed five of those six movies. Between Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, Holland has already completed all three miscellaneous MCU projects. And with Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home in the bag, that just leaves one more Spider-Man sequel to go.

This isn't to say Far From Home's sequel will necessarily be the last we ever see of Holland as Spider-Man. Robert Downey Jr. renegotiated his Marvel contract multiple times between 2008's Iron Man and 2019's Avengers: Endgame, and Chris Hemsworth has voiced an interest in continuing his Thor role despite completing his contract with Endgame. Holland could theoretically re-up his agreement and appear in future Spider-Man and Avengers sequels. Though there are other factors at play in this case, as Holland's MCU future also depends on Marvel Studios and Sony maintaining their current relationship.Unfortunately, that relationship may wind up being the true limiting factor. Producer Amy Pascal hinted in 2017 that Spider-Man and his supporting cast could eventually disappear from the MCU. She said at the time, “One of the things that I think is so amazing about this experience is that you don’t have studios deciding to work together to make a film very often. In fact it may never happen again, after we do the sequel [to Spider-Man: Homecoming]."

The takeaway from Pascal's comments is that the length of Holland's contract may be irrelevant if Marvel and Sony opt to part ways after Far From Home. Fortunately, there's not much reason to assume the two studios won't continue to work together for the time being. Far From Home's box office projections are impressive, and the ending even directly sets the stage for a third Spider-Man movie.

Warning: The rest of this article contains major spoilers for Spider-Man: Far From Home!

Spoiler:
It seems very unlikely Marvel and Sony aren't planning a sequel given the cliffhanger ending introduced in the mid-credits sequence, as J. Jonah Jameson appears on national television to accuse Spider-Man of Mysterio's crimes and reveal his secret identity to the world. The fallout of that identity leak will no doubt play a big role in the third movie.

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has also compared these movies to the Harry Potter series, with each chronicling one year of Peter's high school career (beginning with his sophomore year in Homecoming). Part 3 will presumably complete that process and cover his senior year and graduation, assuming Peter even has room left in his life for school after being outed.

Whatever does happen, the third Spider-Man movie is poised to cap off this phase of Peter Parker's MCU career. As to whether there will be more Marvel movies in Holland's future after that, we can only hope Marvel will have more to say later this summer.
Old 08-20-19, 04:01 PM

Read the article posted. It clearly says what is planned. Sony isn't leeching. They own it.
Old 08-20-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Hopefully this is just gamesmanship and a deal is made, because while I don’t think Spidey movies HAVE to be in the MCU, this particular incarnation is so intricately tied to it that it’s hard to imagine the stories going forward without seeming hobbled. And what will become of that great cliffhanger in FFH if there’s no tie to a greater MCU full of superheroes? Ugh. Corporate wrestling matches are the worst.
Old 08-20-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Read the article posted. It clearly says what is planned.
I realize that but I’m disputing the accuracy of it. There’s no way Marvel Studios is just handing Sony the reigns to make more movies off of something they helped make successful. Maybe they’ll do the third because that was his original contract. I can’t see him continuing past that and I find it hard to believe Disney isn’t going to fight Holland’s involvement. Plus Holland may not even agree to it.
Old 08-20-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Casting aside the potential "hero" crossovers, given what happens in the last movie it's hard to imagine a scenario where Happy just completely bails on Peter, and now they won't even be able to mention him.
Old 08-20-19, 04:08 PM

I realize that but I’m disputing the accuracy of it. There’s no way Marvel Studios is just handing Sony the reigns to make more movies off of something they helped make successful. Maybe they’ll do the third because that was his original contract. I can’t see him continuing past that and I find it hard to believe Disney isn’t going to fight Holland’s involvement. Plus Holland may not even agree to it.
Marvel has nothing to hand over. Sony employed them to produce the movies. Holland's contract is with Sony. Sony can do what they want.
Old 08-20-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sony's Spiderman 3 - The Divorce from Marvel

Marvel has nothing to hand over. Sony employed them to produce the movies. Holland's contract is with Sony. Sony can do what they want.
You really believe that Fiege wouldn’t have clearly laid it out before the deal was ever put into action that if the two parted ways Holland’s status as the character wouldn’t be impacted? I feel like there’s no way the heads of Marvel Studios and Disney would have ever agreed to that. If that’s the case they essentially built up a very successful franchise that Sony had bombed with no way to fire back it the deal went south. There has to be more to the contract that we aren’t privy to yet.
Old 08-20-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Disney/Marvel helped them actually turn Spider-Man into something great. They needed to negotiate. They've proven they cannot replicate the MCU success without Marvel/Disney.
Old 08-20-19, 04:19 PM

Re: Sony's Spiderman 3 - The Divorce from Marvel

You really believe that Fiege wouldn’t have clearly laid it out before the deal was ever put into action that if the two parted ways Holland’s status as the character wouldn’t be impacted? I feel like there’s no way the heads of Marvel Studios and Disney would have ever agreed to that. If that’s the case they essentially built up a very successful franchise that Sony had bombed with no way to fire back it the deal went south. There has to be more to the contract that we aren’t privy to yet.
You really believe Sony would allow anything else? It's their property, they paid for the movies, they come out ahead no matter what.
Old 08-20-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

All Disney needs to do is pull all Spider-Man merch in the same fashion that they did to Fox with Fantastic Four (they cancelled the decades old comic in the process) and X-Men to make any Sony output exist in a vacuum.
Old 08-20-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

All Disney has to do, is give Holland a lead and huge payday in another upcoming franchise and a wink understanding that he is to sabotage the next Spidey sequel until Sony gets wise and humble themselves back to the table with Disney.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.