Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Malignant (2021, D: James Wan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Malignant (2021, D: James Wan)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Re: Malignant (2021, D: James Wan)

I actually liked this more than I was expecting. I went in with zero expectations, knowing virtually nothing about the movie.

It does start out with a 70s/early 80s horror atmosphere. Unfortunately it doesn’t keep that vibe going throughout. It gets an early 2000s feeling about halfway through and keeps it until the end. The “twist” is so absurd I can’t help but like it. It’s almost comical how the movie plays out and it very easily could have turned embarrassing. James Wan is able to keep it from going completely off the deep end. A lesser filmmaker wouldn’t be able to keep that kind of insanity in check.

I wouldn’t necessarily rank it with The Conjuring but thats an unfair comparison since Malignant goes in a completely different direction. Overall I had a fun time watching it despite (or maybe because of) how bonkers it gets.
Old 09-10-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I think your level of enjoyment might depend on if you buy the twist. There are some grisly kills and very few jump scares. Some parts are funny. Listen for a reference to "Sloth from The Goonies." Watching it again on HBO Max. Some of those giallo-influenced shots look beautiful.

Last edited by TomOpus; 09-10-21 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (09-10-21)
Old 09-10-21, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought the film was going to suck, because it takes a long time for it to pick up, but once that final act hits, I was like holy fucking shit! It's gonna be talked about for years to come. This is only in 4K DV on HBO MAX with no Atmos, only 5.1.

I think the production design, cinematgraphy, and practical special make-up effects were also top notch.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
GoldenJCJ (09-10-21), LiquidSky (09-11-21)
Old 09-10-21, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

It’s starting to seem like this a Must-See type of event movie. Doesn’t really matter if a person likes it or not, but everyone is talking about it.
Old 09-11-21, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought this movie sucked. James Wan's worst horror film. The twist was super goofy. Except for the twist, it was one tired horror trope after another. The reveal of the mental hospital made me laugh out loud. I don't know of many mental hospitals that were built to look like Draculas Transylvanian castle of the edge of a cliff. Same goes for the girls house. Also I thought the lighting and color composition was straight out of SAW 5, just your average dreary looking sets and lighting that would never exist in real life. I thought the prison fight scene was hokey as hell. Generic Prison toughs taking liberties on the fresh meat. This was a real piece of shit.

4/10
Old 09-11-21, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I thought this movie sucked. James Wan's worst horror film. The twist was super goofy. Except for the twist, it was one tired horror trope after another. The reveal of the mental hospital made me laugh out loud. I don't know of many mental hospitals that were built to look like Draculas Transylvanian castle of the edge of a cliff. Same goes for the girls house. Also I thought the lighting and color composition was straight out of SAW 5, just your average dreary looking sets and lighting that would never exist in real life. I thought the prison fight scene was hokey as hell. Generic Prison toughs taking liberties on the fresh meat. This was a real piece of shit.

4/10
Pretty much what my wife and I thought as well. I laughed at parts that I should not have as well...

Old 09-11-21, 07:42 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I didn’t think that much of it either. Felt like something from the 90s/early 2000s… complete with bad acting by most of the cast.

Yea, the last act picks up the pace and has a burst of violence and action, but that doesn’t make up for a mostly uninteresting film.

White trash Zoe Bell.
Old 09-11-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I just watched this on HBO Max. I was enjoying it until the twist, which makes zero sense. I think had they gone a different direction than they did, it could've been a lot better.
Old 09-11-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

This one didn't work for me. It was really confusing, then after I read a detailed synopsis of the movie I was dumbstruck by the absurdness of the story
Old 09-11-21, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I just watched this on HBO Max. I was enjoying it until the twist, which makes zero sense. I think had they gone a different direction than they did, it could've been a lot better.
The filmmakers definitely cheated. They played up a supernatural angle showing it a different entity than Madison (even showing them both in the room where her husband died at the same time. Then they showed the supernatural creature appearing in multiple places at once. Then the twist happens and the viewer realizes they were being cheated the entire time. The reveal was a cop out that didn’t play by rules rules it established in the first half of the movie.
Old 09-11-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The filmmakers definitely cheated. They played up a supernatural angle showing it a different entity than Madison (even showing them both in the room where her husband died at the same time. Then they showed the supernatural creature appearing in multiple places at once. Then the twist happens and the viewer realizes they were being cheated the entire time. The reveal was a cop out that didn’t play by rules rules it established in the first half of the movie.
Not only that but....
Spoiler:
Male and female twins are not identical. They are fraternal and therefore, don't split as they are two separate people from conception. Unless Gabriel was female and I misunderstood. I love James Wan, but this is his first miss for me.

Old 09-11-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I think your level of enjoyment might depend on if you buy the twist. There are some grisly kills and very few jump scares. Some parts are funny. Listen for a reference to "Sloth from The Goonies." Watching it again on HBO Max. Some of those giallo-influenced shots look beautiful.
I enjoyed as well. The movie certainly got trippy. That mean gal in the jail with a mullet! Some of the music reminded me of Italian horror films.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 09-11-21 at 05:02 PM.
story (09-17-21)
Old 09-11-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey wow LiquidSky, welcome back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolf359:
LiquidSky (09-14-21), story (09-17-21)
Old 09-11-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Some of the music reminded me of Italian horror films.
Was I the only one that heard "Where is my mind?" whenever the Theme music played?
Old 09-11-21, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Was I the only one that heard "Where is my mind?" whenever the Theme music played?

Nope. It's cover version of it.

Old 09-11-21, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
LiquidSky (09-14-21)
Old 09-11-21, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I enjoyed as well. The movie certainly got trippy. That mean gal in the jail with a mullet! Some of the music reminded me of Italian horror films.
For those who didn’t catch it. The mullet chick in jail was Zoe Bell who was Uma Thurman’s stunt double in Kill Bill and starred in Death Proof.
LiquidSky (09-14-21)
Old 09-11-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I liked it a lot. I could see how people will see unwanted silliness like in The Happening. The whole concept is a hard sell.
Old 09-11-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Just finished this with the wife. We enjoyed the audaciousness of it, but it definitely had some faults. The acting was mostly passable at best and the dialog could’ve used another rewrite or two. Also, all we knew going in was ‘James Wan flick about a woman’s imaginary friend murdering people.’ Unfortunately, the graphical treatments during the opening credits gave away the twist, at least to me.

While the plot is different in many respects, it reminded me a lot of Upgrade, but not as good.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’ll have to watch it again, but it felt more like an unreliable narrator than a cheat. From the victims’ perspectives, they encountered Gabriel. From Madison’s perspective, she was effectively seeing a delusion created by Gabriel to hide from her.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Not only that but....
Spoiler:
Male and female twins are not identical. They are fraternal and therefore, don't split as they are two separate people from conception. Unless Gabriel was female and I misunderstood. I love James Wan, but this is his first miss for me.

Given that Gabriel only spoke through devices and was pretty much arms and part of a brain, I don’t see any reason he couldn’t be an identical twin to Madison. A quick Google shows a study that found among identical twins with at least one being transgender, in 70% of cases it’s only one, while in 30% it’s both.
Old 09-11-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I’ll have to watch it again, but it felt more like an unreliable narrator than a cheat. From the victims’ perspectives, they encountered Gabriel. From Madison’s perspective, she was effectively seeing a delusion created by Gabriel to hide from her.
Perhaps. But when the movie starts with Madison locking herself in her room and not coming out until after her husband is killed and then immediately coming face to face with the supernatural creature and then being chased up the stairs by that creature, it feels like the filmmakers aren’t being honest with the viewer.

Like I said in my original post, I actually liked the movie quite a bit but it wasn’t perfect.
Old 09-12-21, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

It was pretty easy to figure out the twist early but my wife and I enjoyed how it played out. Honestly, I don't think it's really that absurd compared to lots of horror movies from the 70s and 80s. I thought it was a really cool throwback to those types of horror films that didn't rely on jump scares to be memorable. Sometimes the best way to sell a concept is to go all in and this film certainly did that.
Old 09-12-21, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Just finished watching it too. I loved how bonkers crazy and violent it got in the last 45 minutes or so. You really have to suspend disbelief about the big reveal and yes it's straight out of 70s and 80s horror. This movie is definitely not everyone and I totally understand those who don't like it. I just wish they cast some stronger actors. The vast majority of the cast was unknowns. I only recognized Jacqueline McKenzie who played the doctor from the flashbacks. She was one of the stars of The 4400.
Old 09-12-21, 05:58 AM

Annabelle Wallis is somewhat recognizable. You’ve probably seen a bunch of the stuff she was in. Her biggest role was probably in the Tom Cruise Mummy movie. Though we all want to forget that. It’s just that she looks unrecognizable in this with the dark hair.

The rest of the cast mostly sucked.
Old 09-13-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Every time I see those posters I wish this was a giallo done by James Wan. Instead we got this wacked out nonsensical movie that doesn't know what it wants to be.
I was interested for quite a while. The “twist” was pretty predictable from the beginning. When they show all those doctors I even said “what’s this a new Basket Case?” Guess I wasn’t far off.
I really checked out when it became some character from the Raid and was able to jump down fire escapes and all that shit.
Old 09-13-21, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Every time I see those posters I wish this was a giallo done by James Wan. Instead we got this wacked out nonsensical movie that doesn't know what it wants to be.
I was interested for quite a while. The “twist” was pretty predictable from the beginning. When they show all those doctors I even said “what’s this a new Basket Case?” Guess I wasn’t far off.
I really checked out when it became some character from the Raid and was able to jump down fire escapes and all that shit.

Even if you didn't like it, it is part giallo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.