Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Re: Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Yeah, my heart sank a bit at that scene.
Old 03-03-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Jojo Rabbit (2019, D: Waititi) S: Waititi, Johansson, Davis, McKenzie, Rockwell

Originally Posted by DJariya
I rented this at Redbox last night and watched it today. I admit, this movie was never on my radar. Quirky comedy-drama about a young boy in Nazi Germany with his imaginary and goofy friend who turns out to be Hitler. The concept seemed a little goofy to me.

This type of genre has never really appealed to me. But, then with all the positive feedback and word of mouth, I became interested, but I waited too long and it was out of theatres.

It's a really solid movie. Very poignant, funny at times and heartbreaking. Scarlett was terrific as the Mom and I thought the boy who played JoJo was also terrific. I didn't realize the underlying story was about JoJo's Mom protecting a young Jewish from the Nazis. And then the friendship that developed between her and JoJo.

and oh man the shoe scene was heartbreaking. Glad I finally saw it.
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah, my heart sank a bit at that scene.
Yeah, that scene was truly heartbreaking. This was such a special film. It was funny, touching, original and emotional.

Old 04-19-20, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,088 Posts

Finally saw this last night. I went on knowing almost nothing about it. The only thing I knew is that it was about a German boy who’s imaginary friend is Hitler.

I was more than pleasantly surprised. This was one of the best films of 2019. Just great throughout. It probably ranks in my top 5 from last year.

It started out feeling like a Wes Anderson movie, and as the first 10 or 15 minutes played out I was worried the whole movie was going to be about Hitler Youth camp played as a Summer Camp movie. (I like Anderson’s films but Moonlight Kingdom is my least favorite of his so I was worried. ). I was happy to see the movie was more than that.

Everything about it mixed really well. The coming of age story, the humor, the emotional scenes, etc. all worked together and never felt disjointed, which couldn’t have been easy to pull off based on the premise.
Old 04-19-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts

I've been revisiting this while helping my wife on a project for a class she is taking. Now that Parasite is on Hulu, I will give it a re-watch, but I think I want to change my position: Jo Jo Rabbit IS the best picture of 2019.

I am going to try to find a way to incorporate it into my classroom. There are so many valuable life lessons to be found in this film.
Old 11-26-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts

I couldn’t find a thread in Book Talk, so I am going to go here with this ... I think it relates just as much to the movie.

I cannot believe it has been less than 10 months since I first saw JoJo Rabbit. My perception of time has been amazingly skewed in the last several months. Still the best movie of 2019.

Ok, now for what I came to say ...

I finished reading the book upon which JoJo Rabbit is based, Caging Skies. I don’t think I would even say “based on,” though. More like “inspired by.” The book is very different. I knew going in that it wasn’t a “campy comedy” like the movie ... but I did not expect that.

Book and movie spoilers ahead ...

Spoiler:
In the movie, JoJo is an innocent child. We see how the Nazi party corrupted and molded people contrasted with JoJo’s “education” and redemption. The book is entirely written in first-person by Johannes, so we get passing glimpses of the Nazi corruption of the individual, but very few. Johannes’s actions and perspectives are shaped by his isolation and his family (his father, his mother, and his grandmother), to darkly disturbing ends, rather than childhood naïveté and a corrupting force. While JoJo’s story is one of childhood and redemption, Johannes’s story is one of stunted man-child levels of maturity with no checks-and-balances in his life, leading to selfish madness.

Fitting with the tone of the book, Elsa is nothing more than an object on the written page. She has no agency other than to be the anchor Johannes’s story is chained to. Elsa on screen is every bit a piece of the narrative structure as JoJo. She serves as the redeemer to balance the influence of Nazi propaganda on JoJo. I find this very fascinating as the book is written by a woman, yet Christine Luenens seems to completely eradicate any humanity or purpose from most of her female characters (save one). If the point was solely to show Johannes’s corrupt nature, she nailed it.

As I closed the back cover, I made this observation: The movie made me want to read the book to get more from the story. The book made me want to watch the movie to cleanse my pallet. It is well written, it just wasn’t what I was hoping for. 2020 has been bleak, and where the movie brought rays of hope, the book crushed me like most of this year. It just wasn’t the right book for this time.

Old 11-27-20, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I couldn’t find a thread in Book Talk, so I am going to go here with this ... I think it relates just as much to the movie.

I cannot believe it has been less than 10 months since I first saw JoJo Rabbit. My perception of time has been amazingly skewed in the last several months. Still the best movie of 2019.

Ok, now for what I came to say ...

I finished reading the book upon which JoJo Rabbit is based, Caging Skies. I don’t think I would even say “based on,” though. More like “inspired by.” The book is very different. I knew going in that it wasn’t a “campy comedy” like the movie ... but I did not expect that.

Book and movie spoilers ahead ...

Spoiler:
In the movie, JoJo is an innocent child. We see how the Nazi party corrupted and molded people contrasted with JoJo’s “education” and redemption. The book is entirely written in first-person by Johannes, so we get passing glimpses of the Nazi corruption of the individual, but very few. Johannes’s actions and perspectives are shaped by his isolation and his family (his father, his mother, and his grandmother), to darkly disturbing ends, rather than childhood naïveté and a corrupting force. While JoJo’s story is one of childhood and redemption, Johannes’s story is one of stunted man-child levels of maturity with no checks-and-balances in his life, leading to selfish madness.

Fitting with the tone of the book, Elsa is nothing more than an object on the written page. She has no agency other than to be the anchor Johannes’s story is chained to. Elsa on screen is every bit a piece of the narrative structure as JoJo. She serves as the redeemer to balance the influence of Nazi propaganda on JoJo. I find this very fascinating as the book is written by a woman, yet Christine Luenens seems to completely eradicate any humanity or purpose from most of her female characters (save one). If the point was solely to show Johannes’s corrupt nature, she nailed it.

As I closed the back cover, I made this observation: The movie made me want to read the book to get more from the story. The book made me want to watch the movie to cleanse my pallet. It is well written, it just wasn’t what I was hoping for. 2020 has been bleak, and where the movie brought rays of hope, the book crushed me like most of this year. It just wasn’t the right book for this time.

I felt the same way while trying to watch Babylon 5 for the first time in 2020--it wasn't the right time to be watching something so oppressively bleak.