Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.57%
20.27%
27.03%
17.57%
6.76%
4.05%
4.05%
1.35%
1.35%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I doubt any of these places that are still open would consider for a second to give monetary compensation to a guy who already has a money making machine.
The following users liked this post:
andy434343 (01-21-20)
Old 08-04-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse
And I’m happy that Musso and Franks is still open, because it’s such an institution, but frankly the place sucks. The food is just not good.
Really? Granted, I've only been to Musso & Frank once and got a steak (soemthing which is hard to mess up) but remember the meal being really good. I also liked that, by sitting at the bar, we could watch them cook the steaks. It even lead me to buying my own cast-iron grill press after watching them use it to cook my steak.
Old 08-04-19, 10:50 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Really? Granted, I've only been to Musso & Frank once and got a steak (soemthing which is hard to mess up) but remember the meal being really good. I also liked that, by sitting at the bar, we could watch them cook the steaks. It even lead me to buying my own cast-iron grill press after watching them use it to cook my steak.
You inspired me to do a little research. They have changed a lot. I stopped living full time in LA around 2001 so I haven’t been there forever. I see they’ve updated their menu to being more in line with a high end steakhouse.

Google their menu and look for “Classics to Order”. That’s what the menu was like back in my day. Grenadine of Beef, Sauerbraten, liver and onions. It was like antique food. There was a point when they were so on the ropes they were only open 4 days a week. I’m glad they survived.
Old 08-04-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I forgot to add that I've eaten at Chili Johns' in Burbank, though it was featured in Diners, Drive Ins & Dives.
Old 08-05-19, 01:29 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely fucking LOVED it! To all you psychos that think it's too long and can be "tighter" seriously, go watch any other hacked out Hollywood drivel if you can't sit in a theater for more than two hours. That attitude is the reason movies suck nowadays. Too long, really? Trust me, there will come a day when only art house/boutique cinemas exist because the times are a changin'! And you'll long for the days movies like 'Once Upon a Time...' were made in.

Tarantino fucking knocks it out of the park with his ode to Hollywood. Although it isn't perfect, I can overlook the few modern houses in the background of the Hollywood hills that Quentin left in as the two leads (DiCaprio and Pitt) make the ascent to Rick Dalton's house. And the traffic lights on Sunset Blvd. through Beverly Hills that weren't CG'd out. Not to mention the ones on Hollywood Blvd. that everyone seems to be up in arms about, who cares? It's Tarantino, suspending disbelief comes with the territory.

In defense of El Coyote, that place is an f'n classic. I've been eating their greasy, crunchy tacos with a side of refried beans and rice since the 1980's. Sure it's not frou-frou, hoity-toity, overpriced, upscale "authentic" Mexican food, who wants that anyway? A place like that won't last long in any part of the world, let alone Los Angeles. El Coyote is closing in on almost 100 years of serving food in L.A. so they must be doing something right. And ironically, it isn't a tourist trap either, thank God. I remember eating there with my then girlfriend (now wife), when a drunk off-her-ass Geena Davis stumbled past us and had to hold onto our booth to steady herself, she apologized as she headed towards the women's room one afternoon while we were eating lunch. This was just after Cutthroat Island had come out. I'll admit after having a couple El Coyote Cadillac Margarita's they will knock you out! If anyone feels that a place like El Coyote is too bland, you can always stick with what America recently voted best Mexican restaurant... Taco Bell. How is that even possible?

I look forward to more of Tarantino's version of story-telling. I give Once Upon a Time... 4.5/5
Old 08-05-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Sure it's not frou-frou, hoity-toity, overpriced, upscale "authentic" Mexican food, who wants that anyway?
Don't know where you got the idea that authentic Mexican food is upscale or pricey. It's quite the opposite. Authentic is simple and cheap. That's the beauty of it. The only reason places like El Coyote still exist is that the "old money" - folks that grew up with that sort of stuff (they don't know any better) have kept it in business all of those years. Location is another part of it.

There's a spot that I'm a regular at out here in my neck of the woods. It's gonna be 100 years old next year. The food is garbage - Americanized "gringo" Tex-Mex food but their drinks and Margaritas are phenomenal. That's why I go there. Fuck the food, I go for the drinks. They're blessed in that they're located in the "old money" neighborhood of the city, as well.
Old 08-05-19, 08:42 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't know where you got the idea that authentic Mexican food is upscale or pricey.
Probably here:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...good-deal.html

Old 08-05-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14

haha, I tried looking for that thread and could not find it.
Old 08-05-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This thread is starting to feel like the Jason Statham: Angelino tangents on How Did This Get Made.
Old 08-08-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

A theological scholar offers a philosophical take on ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD in The New York Times. But the article is less important than the comments. Many commenters describe how cathartic and healing the film was for them, esp. those who were traumatized by the Manson murders at the time, even those who were very young, like the article's author who was 4 at the time. Many of the commenters lived in L.A. at the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/o...XppAiO49G4cUIc
Old 08-08-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

^ interesting. I did not know that the murders had affected so many in such a way...
Old 08-08-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
Absolutely fucking LOVED it! To all you psychos that think it's too long and can be "tighter" seriously, go watch any other hacked out Hollywood drivel if you can't sit in a theater for more than two hours. That attitude is the reason movies suck nowadays. Too long, really? Trust me, there will come a day when only art house/boutique cinemas exist because the times are a changin'! And you'll long for the days movies like 'Once Upon a Time...' were made in.

Tarantino fucking knocks it out of the park with his ode to Hollywood. Although it isn't perfect, I can overlook the few modern houses in the background of the Hollywood hills that Quentin left in as the two leads (DiCaprio and Pitt) make the ascent to Rick Dalton's house. And the traffic lights on Sunset Blvd. through Beverly Hills that weren't CG'd out. Not to mention the ones on Hollywood Blvd. that everyone seems to be up in arms about, who cares? It's Tarantino, suspending disbelief comes with the territory.

In defense of El Coyote, that place is an f'n classic. I've been eating their greasy, crunchy tacos with a side of refried beans and rice since the 1980's. Sure it's not frou-frou, hoity-toity, overpriced, upscale "authentic" Mexican food, who wants that anyway? A place like that won't last long in any part of the world, let alone Los Angeles. El Coyote is closing in on almost 100 years of serving food in L.A. so they must be doing something right. And ironically, it isn't a tourist trap either, thank God. I remember eating there with my then girlfriend (now wife), when a drunk off-her-ass Geena Davis stumbled past us and had to hold onto our booth to steady herself, she apologized as she headed towards the women's room one afternoon while we were eating lunch. This was just after Cutthroat Island had come out. I'll admit after having a couple El Coyote Cadillac Margarita's they will knock you out! If anyone feels that a place like El Coyote is too bland, you can always stick with what America recently voted best Mexican restaurant... Taco Bell. How is that even possible?

I look forward to more of Tarantino's version of story-telling. I give Once Upon a Time... 4.5/5
I wish it had been longer. I ate up every minute.

Well said btw.
Old 08-08-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Hot take:

The only actor in Once Upon a Time In Hollywood who has appeared in a better film, is Al Pacino.

Not only that, but for my money this is the best DiCaprio and Pitt have ever been in a movie. They both brought their absolute best.

While this film had a couple flaws that Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown didn't, I think this is right up there, neck and neck with every film Tarantino has ever made.

4.75/5
Old 08-08-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I agree about Pitt but I still always thought DiCaprio was amazing in Gilbert Grape. I'll agree, as an adult, it's his best role.
Old 08-09-19, 08:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
A theological scholar offers a philosophical take on ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD in The New York Times. But the article is less important than the comments. Many commenters describe how cathartic and healing the film was for them, esp. those who were traumatized by the Manson murders at the time, even those who were very young, like the article's author who was 4 at the time. Many of the commenters lived in L.A. at the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/o...XppAiO49G4cUIc
Good read and illustrates that to many, this is arguably, QT's most important film.

I keep thinking about the movie and the desire to go see it a 2nd time. Heck, I've even been listening to Paul Revere and the Raiders during my morning jog
Old 08-09-19, 08:27 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I agree about Pitt but I still always thought DiCaprio was amazing in Gilbert Grape. I'll agree, as an adult, it's his best role.
Not to get too off topic, but I think Leo's best role, and the one that should have gotten him an Oscar, was Revolutionary Road. I have not watched it in a while though, and he has done a lot since then, so I may revisit it to compare with this being fresh in my mind.

It wouldn't be my favorite role, but I think he did a lot with that one.
Old 08-10-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Brad Pitt will be competing in the Best Supporting Actor category so as to not be up against Leo

A big Oscar question answered: Brad Pitt is campaigning as supporting for ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ — for now

To both lead or to have only one lead, that is the big Oscar question for one pair of male co-stars, still firmly perched at the top of their games, as Gold Derby launches its Academy Award prediction site today. The ultimate answer is below — but first some background.

Once upon a time in Hollywood, male co-leads in a film were allowed to go mano-to-mano and duke it out in the same Oscar category. The first instance of this situation was when cast mates Clark Gable, Charles Laughton and Franchot Tone went up against each other in 1935’s “Mutiny on the Bounty.” In that case, there was no other choice since supporting acting categories weren’t added to the ballot until 1937. Alas, all three stars were bested by Victor McLaglen in “The Informer.”

Since then, there have been 12 instances when two male performers from the same movie engaged in lead double-dipping. The last occasion was 1984’s “Amadeus,” with F. MurrayAbraham as Salieri and Tom Hulce as Mozart were pitted against one another. Unlike his villainous composer, who was bested by his more talented rival, Abraham took the prize.

But these days, when every nomination in awards season is seen as opportunity to boost box office and up the odds of winning trophies, having actors face off and risk cancelling each other out doesn’t make sense even if it might summon accusations of category fraud.

But this situation has become a hot topic recently as Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, both in their middle-aged prime at age 44 and 55, are paired on the big screen for the first time with each receiving rave reviews for their performances in Quentin Tarantino‘s nostalgic look at the summer of 1969 in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” After the showbiz fable that details the three days leading up to the Manson Family murders in Los Angeles premiered in Cannes, social media was rife with speculation from pundits and critics about whether they should be treated as co-leads.

The answer, at least as it applies to our prediction site at least for now: DiCaprio is lead and Pitt is in supporting. All placements of potential nominees have been confirmed by studios or their campaigners for now. But, of course, such decisions often change as the months-long awards season drags on. Recall that Viola Davis, who won a supporting Oscar for 2016 “Fences,” lingered in both categories on the Gold Derby site for a considerable amount of time until her status was settled.
Critic Justin Chang of the “Los Angeles Times” is not alone when he shared his opinion on the matter as he wrote, “The second-billed Pitt may be the lower man on the industry totem pole, but this is very much his movie.” Part of the rooting passion for Pitt is the fact that while he won an Oscar for producing the Best Picture winner “12 Years a Slave” in 2013, he has never won an acting Oscar despite being nominated three times — supporting for 1995’s “12 Monkeys,” and lead for 2008’s “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” and 2011’s “Moneyball.” DiCaprio, on the other hand, finally won an Oscar on his fifth try for his lead role in 2015’s “The Revenant.”

Few wouldn’t applaud any honor won by Pitt. But his role in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” as Cliff Booth, stunt double extraordinaire, faithful companion and go-fer for DiCaprio’s TV Western star Rick Dalton as he struggles to switch to films as his preferred small-screen genre goes out of favor, is very much in the mode of a loyal sidekick. It’s doubtful that anyone who has sat through the two-hour and 45-minute film and actually timed the amount of screen time for each actor (all bets will be off, however, once screeners are out). But I suspect that Pitt might actually have more with his extended choreographed fight sequences. But his very role is that of a supporting player –and there is much honor in that as Cliff clearly proves.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/20...-in-hollywood/
Old 08-10-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This finally played on some IMAX screens at my local AMC theaters. I was tempted to go see them but couldn't swing it.
Old 08-10-19, 08:14 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I'm finally going to chime in here and say I liked it but didn't love it. Performances were great, cinematography was amazing, and a few set pieces were good. I went opening weekend with a good crowd.

Ultimately, the parts were better than the whole for me. I think I have always had an aversion to films where there's no discernable storyline or trajectory. The "day in the life" model can feel aimless and I get antsy wondering if something is going to happen. Those scenes where Brad Pitt is driving and driving and driving, even with cuts to new shots along the same drive? I get the nostalgia but wow, I'm just not excited to drive the strip with Pitt. It's just. So. Long.

I'd have to place this toward the bottom of the Tarantino pack for me. For the first time, I have a Tarantino movie on my hands that doesn't feel like a day-long purchase for me and I don't like that.
Old 08-10-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The entertainment media misreporting things? What? Never!
It reminds me of those individual news articles that come out when anyone with moderate success gets cast in a big movie (which is probably due to the actors publicist pushing for it). There was an article about Daniel Sunjata (from Rescue Me) being cast in The Dark Knight Rises. One year later, movie comes out, he has two lines and gets killed within one minute of his introduction.
Old 08-10-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Ultimately, the parts were better than the whole for me. I think I have always had an aversion to films where there's no discernable storyline or trajectory. The "day in the life" model can feel aimless and I get antsy wondering if something is going to happen. Those scenes where Brad Pitt is driving and driving and driving, even with cuts to new shots along the same drive? I get the nostalgia but wow, I'm just not excited to drive the strip with Pitt. It's just. So. Long.
I pretty much agree with all of this.
Old 08-10-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I'm in a movie depression or something, but this is the third big movie this summer that let me down.

I didn't hate anything about Once Upon a Time, but there was never a moment when I loved it. It was meandering meandering meandering, and then some more meandering. The final thirty minutes were effective, but they would have worked better if something happened leading up to it.

I never cared about Tarantino's movies being long because even if he didn't have two and a half hours of story, he sure as shit had two and a half hours of great dialogue. Where's the great writing in this? Looooong, sloooooow stretches where two characters say ten words between them.

Was there some ten hour cut and he decided to remove all the scenes where stuff happend so all we have left are the transition scenes?

I don't mind the switcheroo ending, but if he's really only going to make ten movies, shouldn't he work on not repeating himself? (I thought the same thing before Hateful Eight came out, but that one justified itself by being a great movie.)

DiCaprio and Pitt are very good, but they had so little to do. How about showing us a few scenes from those crazy Italian movies? Instead we get long, boring making-of scenes for a TV Western. Is there ANY form of filmed entertainemnt less compelling that a TV Western?

I've got the AMC pass, so I'm tempted to see this again to see if there's something I'm just not getting. Every filmmaker I like makes at least one movie I don't like. I always thought with QT it was Reservoir Dogs. Maybe now there are two.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 08-11-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-10-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

There's stuff you're not getting but you'll never get it since everything about the movie is so damn boring to you. Don't even bother giving another dime to it.
Old 08-10-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So tell me what I'm missing. I said I was open to seeing it again.
Old 08-10-19, 11:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What’s not to like about Reservoir Dogs?

They do show a clip of the crazy Italian crime movie.

The whole point of the TV western scene is that we’re on this cheap backlot set. But when the guy says action QT shows it like it’s the most lush, gorgeous western ever. Possibly a reflection of Rick’s point of view. That this is GREAT when it probably is just so-so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.