Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four: First Steps (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four: First Steps (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,269 Posts
re: The Fantastic Four: First Steps (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Originally Posted by Draven
You have no idea if it's going to make the movie better or not. You're assuming it won't.

My thing is if the film does suck, the Fandom complaining now will lay 100% of the reason why it sucked on having a Non-Traditional Silver Surfer. Not poor writing, not poor SFX, not a poor plot, not the boring ass FF. Nope, all the blame will be on the choice of a Female Silver Surfer.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,150 Posts
re: The Fantastic Four: First Steps (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
My thing is if the film does suck, the Fandom complaining now will lay 100% of the reason why it sucked on having a Non-Traditional Silver Surfer. Not poor writing, not poor SFX, not a poor plot, not the boring ass FF. Nope, all the blame will be on the choice of a Female Silver Surfer.
Well that's true.
Old 04-10-24, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Again, though, this is barely a version of a character. This is not choosing between, say, Hal Jordan or John Stewart for GL, this is choosing Lois Lane to be Superman instead. Maybe this is obvious but it seems like most people going "well, they chose a female character instead, what's the fuss" are missing this subtlety (mainly because hey, it's a naked silver person an a surfboard, not Superman)
I'm not missing anything. I get it. Fans love what they love. However, while I won't speak for others, my thing to the Angry Fans is....Get over it. Yes, get over it. It's not your personal property. It belongs to Marvel/Disney and they can do as they please. Don't like it? Do as my Marvel Guy at work is going to do and avoid seeing this particular film in the theaters. Let Marvel/Disney know how you feel by not giving them your money. That is a valid protest. And if Marvel/Disney decides that, as ya'll say when you don't get what you want, "pandering to (insert minority group here)" and "being WOKE" hurts their bottom line, they'll make changes. But so far, it seems they are not feeling like these so-called "pandering" and "WOKE" choices are something they want to end. They keep doing them no matter how much ya'll cry about it.

Frankly, I LOVE CHANGES that go outside of the box. I LOOOVE DC characters but I'd watch a "Lois as Superman". I watch a Batman film where Batman isn't Bruce Wayne. I'd watch a "Wonder Man" film. Yes...I'd even watch a white "Black Panther". I like variety, I LOVE Variants(as you Marvel folks now call them)....
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Abob Teff (04-13-24), Draven (04-10-24), IBJoel (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 191 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm not missing anything. I get it. Fans love what they love. However, while I won't speak for others, my thing to the Angry Fans is....Get over it. Yes, get over it. It's not your personal property. It belongs to Marvel/Disney and they can do as they please. Don't like it? Do as my Marvel Guy at work is going to do and avoid seeing this particular film in the theaters. Let Marvel/Disney know how you feel by not giving them your money. That is a valid protest. And if Marvel/Disney decides that, as ya'll say when you don't get what you want, "pandering to (insert minority group here)" and "being WOKE" hurts their bottom line, they'll make changes. But so far, it seems they are not feeling like these so-called "pandering" and "WOKE" choices are something they want to end. They keep doing them no matter how much ya'll cry about it.

Frankly, I LOVE CHANGES that go outside of the box. I LOOOVE DC characters but I'd watch a "Lois as Superman". I watch a Batman film where Batman isn't Bruce Wayne. I'd watch a "Wonder Man" film. Yes...I'd even watch a white "Black Panther". I like variety, I LOVE Variants(as you Marvel folks now call them)....
I'd watch a movie where an abandoned and blind white child was found by Wakandans and raised in their culture. He grows up idolizing the famed Black Panther while never realizing that he's white. Then one day the king dies and the throne is empty, so he offers himself as a challenger for the throne...and it's only then that everyone realizes they never explained about the races. "Wait, we didn't tell him he's white?" But his friends and family are too nice to tell him what's up, so they all have to roll with it or risk breaking his heart.
Old 04-10-24, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I've said for years that the biggest mistake that Sony made when Peter Parker went to the MCU is that they didn't immediately make a live-action Miles Morales. But maybe there are too many people who'd say "That's not Spider-man".
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
Abob Teff (04-13-24), IBJoel (04-10-24), RocShemp (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
I'd watch a movie where an abandoned and blind white child was found by Wakandans and raised in their culture. He grows up idolizing the famed Black Panther while never realizing that he's white. Then one day the king dies and the throne is empty, so he offers himself as a challenger for the throne...and it's only then that everyone realizes they never explained about the races. "Wait, we didn't tell him he's white?" But his friends and family are too nice to tell him what's up, so they all have to roll with it or risk breaking his heart.
Hmm. Cast Steve Martin in the lead role and you might just have something there.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Goldberg74 (04-10-24), IBJoel (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I know you're not missing anything, GR, but I see people constantly going (in this thread) but what about Jane Thor, what about Miles Morales, and that kind of misses the point. It's like defending Galactus as a cloud because it's just a creative choice. Now who's going to defend that one?

I mean at some point fans of the original will have problems with how far an adaptation departs from the source. You can't change Spiderman's costume and have him shoot webs out of his rear, but organic webs, fine. If some exec thought "well, a silver guy on a surfboard is outdated, let's put him on a scooter" that would probably be a bridge too far for most. That's not to say you can't make a good movie out of it, but man you have to hope the person has some kind of vision and it's not just shoehorned in.

Agreed, by the way, with the points about how it doesn't affect the comic character and how this could still be a good movie. Guardians of the Galaxy was a decent movie despite Pratt and co. basically departing from the characters and them decimating the idea of the Nova Corps.
Giantrobo (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 244 Posts

If ever there was a film whose trailer demanded a record scratch…..
IBJoel (04-11-24)
Old 04-10-24, 09:44 PM

Received 907 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Hmm. Cast Steve Martin in the lead role and you might just have something there.
That was my first thought. 🤣
IBJoel (04-11-24)
Old 04-12-24, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 481 Posts

I want a Commissioner Gordon origin story starring Wilmer "Fez" Valderama.
Old 04-13-24, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,351 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I know I missed it initially, but would it be wrong to do a version with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd?
Old 04-14-24, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I want a Commissioner Gordon origin story starring Wilmer "Fez" Valderama.
Will there be flash forward where he meets Bruno Díaz and Ricardo Tapia?
Old 05-02-24, 03:22 PM

Received 5,013 Likes on 3,390 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Paul Walter Hauser is having quite a week. After being tapped for the role of Captain Ed in the untitled Naked Gun reboot from Paramount Pictures, as we were also first to report, we now hear the actor has come aboard Marvel Studios‘ The Fantastic Four.

For now, Hauser’s role in the superhero flick is under wraps, as is its plot.
https://deadline.com/2024/05/fantast...le-1235902723/
Deftones (05-02-24)
Old 05-02-24, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1,129 Likes on 654 Posts

Betting Willie Lumpkin or Papa Richards/Papa Storm
Old 05-02-24, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Mole Man?
Old 05-03-24, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 484 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Mole Man?
I hope so as we do not get enough representation in films
The following 7 users liked this post by Jaymole:
cultshock (05-03-24), d2cheer (05-03-24), Deftones (05-03-24), HeIsTheZissou (05-03-24), IBJoel (05-03-24), PhantomStranger (05-09-24), story (05-03-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-03-24, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Willie Lumpkin.
Old 05-03-24, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,112 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Willie B. Lumpkin.
Old 05-03-24, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd never heard of this guy until recently and now his name keeps popping up everywhere. I ask this as a fat person: Is he Hollywood's new go-to fat guy?
Old 05-03-24, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd never heard of this guy until recently and now his name keeps popping up everywhere. I ask this as a fat person: Is he Hollywood's new go-to fat guy?
No, he's the Fantastic Four's mailman.

The character was also Stan Lee's cameo in the 2005 Fantastic Four film.

IBJoel (05-03-24)
Old 05-03-24, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall Willie as being fat in the FF comics, just an old guy who had the "super power" of being able to wiggle his ears (the pic that Josh posted is how I remember him).
Old 05-03-24, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or did you mean that Paul Hauser guy?

No idea who he is.
Old 05-03-24, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Or did you mean that Paul Hauser guy?

No idea who he is.
Yeah, I meant Paul Walter Hauser. I actually know who Willie Lumpkin is .
Old 05-03-24, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops, sorry for the mixup, I have no idea who this Hauser dude is.

Old 05-03-24, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,440 Likes on 980 Posts

He has been in a ton of stuff recently, including Kobra Kai and After Party. He was excellent in Black Bird, which is where he got most of the recent buzz from and won an award for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.