Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,534 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What's funny is that Fox pulled off a pretty cool Silver Surfer in their Fantastic Four 2 movie. They even got Laurence Fishbourne to voice him, who was awesome in the role. Yes, I like that movie mostly for Silver Surfer's role.
Yeah, the Surfer was the only thing I really liked about that film, and thought he looked great (I haven't seen the film in years, so I don't know if the effects still stand up by today's standards).

Can't wait to see what crazy gender flips and fourth-string characters they'll use for their X-Men.

Oh god, please no.

Old 04-09-24, 07:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

give me Dr. Doom not Dr. Dame! grumble grumble
Old 04-09-24, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts

Fantastic Four 2 wasn't the worst superhero movie ever made. The Surfer was great in particular. But it still was pretty low-rent. Motherfucking Galactus cloud... they didn't need a dude with a giant W on his head, but they could and SHOULD have done better than that.
Old 04-09-24, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,534 Posts

The Galactus cloud was complete bullshit.
Old 04-09-24, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What's funny is that Fox pulled off a pretty cool Silver Surfer in their Fantastic Four 2 movie. They even got Laurence Fishbourne to voice him, who was awesome in the role. Yes, I like that movie mostly for Silver Surfer's role.
Although I loved SS in that movie, it sucks they never told Doug Jones they planned to dub over all his lines with Fishburne (in all fairness, Fishburne didn't know anything beyond being hired to voice a character). Same thing happened to Jones on Hellboy, but when David Hyde Pierce got wind of it, he insisted that his own vocal performance remain uncredited.
Old 04-10-24, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I hate the term "woke" because it's usually followed by "why can't it just be white guys?" We have enough movies.

It may be as simple as looking at the Fantastic Four, you've got three men and one woman, so they picked the female version of another prominent character instead of the male. And that's an okay reason - because if we have to be beholden to stuff that was started in the 1960s, it's just going to be a bunch of white dudes running around and if there is a female character or someone of color, they are probably a stereotype.

I know right?? AS long as they don't fuck with something you care about it will be Ok.

Old 04-10-24, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Fantastic Four 2 wasn't the worst superhero movie ever made. The Surfer was great in particular. But it still was pretty low-rent. Motherfucking Galactus cloud... they didn't need a dude with a giant W on his head, but they could and SHOULD have done better than that.
They should've used that on the posters.

I barely remember anything about either of those films besides the extreme goofiness (stuff like Mr. Fantastic dancing), the surfer, and his cloud. But I still maintain playing the FF as just straight superheroes is a mistake.
Old 04-10-24, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Reminds me of that time people were angry about Lashana Lynch being 007 before seeing the movie.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-10-24 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-10-24, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I know right?? AS long as they don't fuck with something you care about it will be Ok.
Here's the thing - I don't care. They can make whatever they want. If I prefer a different version (like the comics), that version still exists. It's like people getting mad about adaptations of Harry Potter or the Hunger Games or Twilight. If you prefer the book, go read the book.

If I was a Silver Surfer fan and didn't like this change, I just wouldn't see the movie.

For example, I love the Chris Claremont era of the X-Men and from a design standpoint, Archangel is my favorite character. And his character was utterly trashed in X-Men: Apocalypse so guess what? I just don't really care about that movie.
Old 04-10-24, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Here's the thing - I don't care. They can make whatever they want. If I prefer a different version (like the comics), that version still exists. It's like people getting mad about adaptations of Harry Potter or the Hunger Games or Twilight. If you prefer the book, go read the book.

If I was a Silver Surfer fan and didn't like this change, I just wouldn't see the movie.

For example, I love the Chris Claremont era of the X-Men and from a design standpoint, Archangel is my favorite character. And his character was utterly trashed in X-Men: Apocalypse so guess what? I just don't really care about that movie.
The thing is this change isn't going to make the movie better, but it could make it worse.

So the slap in the face to the fans is completely unnecessary.
Old 04-10-24, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 1,073 Likes on 625 Posts

It's crazy how many people have already seen the film already and won't spill the beans on how the Silver Surfer story plays out. And they've also seen like, Secret Wars and stuff and won't tell us if Norin Radd shows up! Man! So frustrating!
The following users liked this post:
Draven (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
It's crazy how many people have already seen the film already and won't spill the beans on how the Silver Surfer story plays out. And they've also seen like, Secret Wars and stuff and won't tell us if Norin Radd shows up! Man! So frustrating!
I get the sarcasm and the reason for it, but there is a big difference between saying a woman is, "007," (and not, "Jane Bond"), and saying that Shalla Bal is THE Silver Surfer.

Big difference. Unless Marvel's just fucking with us by using misdirection. Of course, that misdirection could cost them at the box office.

Last edited by B5Erik; 04-10-24 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-10-24, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The thing is this change isn't going to make the movie better, but it could make it worse.

So the slap in the face to the fans is completely unnecessary.
You have no idea if it's going to make the movie better or not. You're assuming it won't.

Old 04-10-24, 12:50 PM

Received 4,627 Likes on 3,133 Posts

It seems pretty clear (since this is the "Multiverse Saga" and all...) that this is just going to be in another universe that isn't Earth-616... so we'll just have to see how it shakes out.
Abob Teff (04-13-24)
Old 04-10-24, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You have no idea if it's going to make the movie better or not. You're assuming it won't.
It can't. The Silver Surfer, Norrin Radd, is an amazingly well rounded character with amazing drama.

Shalla Bal as the Surfer can't be better. As good? Maybe. But it couldn't be better. It could be worse, however, since it's not organic to the story.
Old 04-10-24, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It can't. The Silver Surfer, Norrin Radd, is an amazingly well rounded character with amazing drama.

Shalla Bal as the Surfer can't be better. As good? Maybe. But it couldn't be better. It could be worse, however, since it's not organic to the story.
Again, you have literally no way of knowing that. You are making assumptions. You might be right. But we won't know until we see the movie.

And if it doesn't work, you have all sorts of Silver Surfer comic books to enjoy, right?

IBJoel (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, you have literally no way of knowing that. You are making assumptions. You might be right. But we won't know until we see the movie.

And if it doesn't work, you have all sorts of Silver Surfer comic books to enjoy, right?
I've been waiting for a really good Silver Surfer movie since the first one was announced in 1980. (But, obviously, didn't get made.)

Looks like long time fans like me are still going to be waiting.

Old 04-10-24, 01:15 PM
Administrator

I get the sarcasm and the reason for it, but there is a big difference between saying a woman is, "007," (and not, "Jane Bond"), and saying that Shalla Bal is THE Silver Surfer.

Big difference. Unless Marvel's just fucking with us by using misdirection. Of course, that misdirection could cost them at the box office.
But Disney/Marvel have made no official announcement of the casting. It was reported by Deadline.
Old 04-10-24, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 199 Posts

Are they often wrong? I have no clue just asking. I don't follow that site much.
Old 04-10-24, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
But Disney/Marvel have made no official announcement of the casting. It was reported by Deadline.
And leaked, no doubt, by a Marvel employee.
Old 04-10-24, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

Hollywood trades like Deadline are rarely wrong. If that news came from Cosmic Book News, then yes, throw it in the trash.

Disney has a big presentation this week at CinemaCon in Las Vegas. They could bring up The Fantastic Four even though they are in the very early stages of getting it made.
IBJoel (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Are they often wrong? I have no clue just asking. I don't follow that site much.
And leaked, no doubt, by a Marvel employee.
No, it just has zero context of what the character's role in the film is, if Norin Radd is also cast, the plot of the film, et cetera.
Old 04-10-24, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been waiting for a really good Silver Surfer movie since the first one was announced in 1980. (But, obviously, didn't get made.)

Looks like long time fans like me are still going to be waiting.
Maybe - you might want to wait to find out more about the movie before dismissing it.

And I think we've all got properties that we'd like to see on the big screen. That's the main reason I love almost all of the Marvel movies - they fulfill my 80s and 90s kid fantasies of seeing my comics come to life with incredible special effects. But as I said earlier, I still haven't gotten a good Archangel movie. And if they announced that they were bringing the female version of Archangel to the screen (which I didn't even know existed until I just looked), I wouldn't immediately dismiss it without at least learning what the plan was.
Old 04-10-24, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my problems with this is that Marvel promised to do the FF, "Right," and be respectful of and faithful to the source material.

This would be neither.
Old 04-10-24, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my problems with this is that Marvel promised to do the FF, "Right," and be respectful of and faithful to the source material.

This would be neither.
Well, that just means you don't think they are being faithful ENOUGH. Because if they do the FF's origin "right" and have those relationships "right", that's respectful and faithful to the source material. You just want it to expand to the Silver Surfer too (when this is not a SS movie...and for all we know, Norrin Radd is in this too).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.