Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you re-visit old movies from your collection?
Yes
71.05%
No
10.53%
Sometimes, but rarely nowadays
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

Hell yeah. I didn't build my library to not watch films from the past. I watch everything multiple times - across all formats.
Old 06-19-19, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

I've been trying to watch my backlog of movies I have that I've not watched yet (about 4500) but I always make time to watch movies I've already seen to. Just because I've seen them dosent make it less enjoyable to me.
Old 06-19-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Thinking about this more last night, I realized I'm frustrated that I can't rewatch things I want more often. Every season I pull out a stack of titles from storage that I want to see again. The problem is the pressing weight of the unwatched/unopened pile. I need to justify purchasing those, so getting further use of something I've already enjoyed once or twice takes a backseat.
Old 06-19-19, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here - so many unwatched. It just keeps growing. I wish I had more time to watch movies I’ve already seen.
Old 06-19-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I typically rewatch multiple movies a week. And I jump all around from current flicks to favs from my childhood​​​​​. We’ve also been rewatching a lot of classics with our kids, trying to keep up the movie education. For example, we all watched “Beetlejuice” the other night. My wife and I saw the Broadway show in NYC a few weeks ago (and it was awesome) and my daughter is into musical theater and we’ve been listening to the cast recording, so we thought it was time she saw the original too. Haven’t watched that movie in years - still great!
Old 06-19-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Why would someone buy a movie to only watch it once. Don’t get me wrong, I have a large unwatched movie pile, but if I purchase one I have every intention to watch it multiple times.
Old 06-19-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I watch movies on cable's free On Demand service and I pay for Amazon Prime. It's great to see new films on those services, but I also revisit old ones that I like when they're offered. I recently re-watched Peckinpah's KILLER ELITE (1975) on Amazon. Not a great film, so I never considered buying it, but getting the chance to see it again was good. Earlier this year, I re-watched INVADERS FROM MARS (1953) on Amazon and then watched the 1986 remake, for the first time, on Starz Encore On Demand.
Old 06-19-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

The modern era gives us so many things that compete for our spare time. With Netflix, I think a lot of people end up watching movies they never planned on watching or wouldn't have paid money to see. It's convenient and "free" so they watch it.

I re-watch many films but I find myself skipping to the best scenes rather than watching from beginning to the end. I do the same with books I have already read; just open-up a page somewhere in the middle and start reading.

Old 06-19-19, 04:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

A friend has recently been helping me digitized my collection. Which has made it a lot easier to re-watch my unwatched pile and watch some movies i bought but never seen before.

It shouldn't be but the simple act of pulling the DVD out and putting it on the player seems like a drag nowadays compared to just clicking a title on Netlix or Plex.

My plan is to sell at least 1/3 of my collection (close to 2k titles) but so far i only gotten rid of like 30...
Old 06-20-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I have literally hundreds of Blu-rays (and now, dozens of 4K titles) I have yet to watch (most of them still in shrink wrap). Many of them blind-buys. And that's not counting the dozens of digital purchases I've made on Vudu I haven't watched yet. Like many of you, I grab stuff when it's on sale (usually Black Friday and/or those Criterion sales), but finding time to watch them is difficult. It's one of the reasons I've gone from buying DVDs and Blu-rays to essentially just buying 4K titles these days.
Old 06-20-19, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I probably have 3,000 DVDs & Blu-Rays. At least half have not even been opened. It's a sickness.
Old 06-20-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I save some money by taping some movies on HBO, Showtime, and Starz I have seen before and rejoice knowing if the movie was ok and not waste money buying them on physical media
Old 06-20-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I use to buy discs all the time, but after like 5 shelves worth... running out of spaces for new shelves, etc... I decided to stop buying and now I just watch digitally through streaming services or iTunes.
Old 06-20-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think many hardcore media collectors by this point have dozens, if not hundreds, of movies they've never actually watched. If I am being honest, there are probably a few DVDs I still own purchased in the last century that I haven't yet gotten around to watching.
Old 06-21-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

I've watched all the movies I own, but even if I'm retired I don't have the time nor the desire to watch 90% of them. All they do is take space, and I now realize that buying over 3000 DVD/BR was a gigantic waste of time/money. I woudn't do it again. I've pretty much stopped buying (with a few exceptions).
Old 06-22-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

At this point I’m only buying digitally - no space issues, way easier to rewatch anywhere and about the same as the cost of a movie ticket so I have no issues blind-buying for things I don’t get to in the theater .
Old 06-22-19, 10:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I have 491 (yes I'm that kind of person) DVD's sitting in boxes. I live in Podunk and have Amazon Prime so I don't have to drive to Walmart. I haven't watched a DVD in ages.
Old 06-22-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes I Still do since I don't care for new/contemporary movies anymore. Don't think I've even seen a movie released in 2019.
Old 06-24-19, 12:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I have literally hundreds of Blu-rays (and now, dozens of 4K titles) I have yet to watch (most of them still in shrink wrap). Many of them blind-buys. And that's not counting the dozens of digital purchases I've made on Vudu I haven't watched yet. Like many of you, I grab stuff when it's on sale (usually Black Friday and/or those Criterion sales), but finding time to watch them is difficult. It's one of the reasons I've gone from buying DVDs and Blu-rays to essentially just buying 4K titles these days.
its like I heard someone once say. "Its not so much that I'm buying all these movies, but I believe I'm buying the time to watch all these movies"