Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
21.62%
37.84%
18.92%
13.51%
8.11%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
The Walt Disney Co. , in a statement from corporate spokesman Jeffrey R. Epstein.
Walt Disney Co. needs to find a new corporate spokesman. This is just not a good look.
Old 09-30-20, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Who was confused by the opening flashback?

That's all well and good but his ultimate decision still flies in the face of his very core and what he's preached to every other toy (and the audience) for 3 movies and countless shorts and specials. YOU toys go stay in the attic for 20 years in the off chance Andy needs us one day because that's what toys do. Bonnie throws me in the closet for one day and fuck it, I'm out. Fucking dumb how they shit all over his character. They could have had Woody still have his existential crisis but still have him be true to who he is and return to Bonnie and the gang at the end.

As you can tell it still pisses me off.
People can't grow and change over the course of 25 years? I never understand complaints about movies with something going against character when the entire central plot of the movie is his struggle with this decision that clearly DOES go against his character. But he learns to finally let go of Andy and Bonnie and to make a decision that would make him happy and knowing that Bonnie would be in good hands with the other toys. It's called character development.
Old 09-30-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Woody like most guys, is all about loyalty, trust and all that jazz, until there's a slim chance he might score.
Old 09-30-20, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Woody like most guys, is all about loyalty, trust and all that jazz, until there's a slim chance he might score.
I mean, I think it's more than a slim chance...

I still don't see it as a betrayal of his character. IIRC he never really admonishes toys for leaving (like the army men in TS3). Not every toy is going to make the cut for "save these in a box to go to the attic." He was loyal to Andy, and he was Andy's favorite toy no matter what, but he didn't really have a role (or had a diminishing role) with Bonnie at that point, they even make it a point of emphasis that Jessie is filling his sheriff role. His main reason to stay would've been his friendship with the other toys, and to that effect he's staying more true to his character by leaving them because he's not just going so that he can have adventures with Bo Peep, he's going to help other toys get played with by children.
Old 09-30-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
People can't grow and change over the course of 25 years?
More like 10. Andy was about 7 in the first movie and 17 in the third. A character growing is natural. Flipping a character on his head and acting completely different than the previous outings is something else.
The following users liked this post:
kakistos (09-30-20)
Old 10-01-20, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
More like 10. Andy was about 7 in the first movie and 17 in the third. A character growing is natural. Flipping a character on his head and acting completely different than the previous outings is something else.
Oh yeah, that's right. The first three were in "real time" the fourth one wasn't. I stand corrected.

I still think if you think it was against his character you weren't paying attention to the movie. I think it would have been if he left at the beginning of the movie without seeing the internal struggle he went through to arrive at that decision. But we literally see him go through all of that. That's literally the entire movie. They even go out of their way to show and remind people of his journey so far to further add to the narrative of him making a decision that is clearly out of his comfort zone.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I still don't see it as a betrayal of his character. IIRC he never really admonishes toys for leaving (like the army men in TS3). Not every toy is going to make the cut for "save these in a box to go to the attic." He was loyal to Andy, and he was Andy's favorite toy no matter what, but he didn't really have a role (or had a diminishing role) with Bonnie at that point, they even make it a point of emphasis that Jessie is filling his sheriff role. His main reason to stay would've been his friendship with the other toys, and to that effect he's staying more true to his character by leaving them because he's not just going so that he can have adventures with Bo Peep, he's going to help other toys get played with by children.
I agree with that too.
Old 10-11-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Finally watched this last night. Overall it was better than I was expecting it to be. Like many I felt like the third film was a perfect ending. This still managed to be a good continuation though.

Wonder if this is it though. It makes sense given that Woody leaves the gang. It would be weird doing a sequel without him involved, and I don’t see how they’d work it out where he reunited with the other toys.
Old 10-12-20, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Yeah, they would have to jump through hoops to reunite the gang and it would feel hollow without Woody. But $$$ is a powerful thing, so we'll see.
Old 10-14-20, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really trust Pixar not to do a movie unless there is a compelling story there. I had some serious doubts about Toy Story 4 because it had been so long since 3 and I figure what story was there left to tell. But I think, I dare say, it might be the best one yet. Or maybe I was hypnotized by the absolutely gorgeous visuals. This is really one of the most beautiful movies. Either way it more than earned it's existence.
Old 11-09-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Finally saw this on Disney+

Loved it. Ally Maki as Giggle McDimples is probably my favorite character She was great on the TBS show Wrecked

Old 11-17-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Old 01-17-21, 12:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

I have to say, I was a little leery of this one going in as 3, I thought, was the perfect send off. I enjoyed that one and was emotional by films end. But, I do have to say, I had a lot of fun with this one. A lot. This isn’t some Disney/Pixar made for video sequel, this was a flat out genuine sequel that builds upon the 3 before it. I’ll have to see 3 again, but I was simply overjoyed with this one. The hilarity, the new adventure, the incredible new characters. I mean how could you not love Keanu Reeves as Duke Kaboom? You absolutely heard the fun he was having in his voice. The other new characters, marvelous and funny as well. I’m simply in awe that by the 4th film in an animated franchise it’s as good, if not slightly better than, what I thought, was a dazzling 3rd entry. They are marvels over at Pixar. I saw the 3D Blu-ray and the image and animation were just second to none. I have all 4 in 3D now and look forward to revisiting them. But, if this was indeed the last hoorah for the franchise, then they went out brilliantly. If not, then I’m totally game for a 5th if it’s the same caliber. Just a genuine delight and complete surprise for a third sequel.

if I had to rank, right now:
2 (which used to be my favorite, could still be, but haven’t seen in awhile)
1 (which I didn’t love the couple times I saw it)

**Edit** nope, after just seeing Part 3, definitely 3 is my favorite thus far. Part 2 tomorrow and then i'll rank...

Last edited by OldBoy; 01-17-21 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I have to say, I was a little leery of this one going in as 3, I thought, was the perfect send off. I enjoyed that one and was emotional by films end. But, I do have to say, I had a lot of fun with this one. A lot. This isn’t some Disney/Pixar made for video sequel, this was a flat out genuine sequel that builds upon the 3 before it. I’ll have to see 3 again, but I was simply overjoyed with this one. The hilarity, the new adventure, the incredible new characters. I mean how could you not love Keanu Reeves as Duke Kaboom? You absolutely heard the fun he was having in his voice. The other new characters, marvelous and funny as well. I’m simply in awe that by the 4th film in an animated franchise it’s as good, if not slightly better than, what I thought, was a dazzling 3rd entry. They are marvels over at Pixar. I saw the 3D Blu-ray and the image and animation were just second to none. I have all 4 in 3D now and look forward to revisiting them. But, if this was indeed the last hoorah for the franchise, then they went out brilliantly. If not, then I’m totally game for a 5th if it’s the same caliber. Just a genuine delight and complete surprise for a third sequel.

if I had to rank, right now:
2 (which used to be my favorite, could still be, but haven’t seen in awhile)
1 (which I didn’t love the couple times I saw it)

**Edit** nope, after just seeing Part 3, definitely 3 is my favorite thus far. Part 2 tomorrow and then i'll rank...
I love all of the "Toy Story" movies. But for me, "Toy Story 2" is my favorite. And the best of the series IMO. I think it and "Paddington 2" are probably the best children/family films I've seen in the past 25 years.