Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rating
0%
0%
8.57%
17.14%
28.57%
22.86%
14.29%
5.71%
0%
0%
2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 08:32 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Dark Phoenix"
(Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, Alexandra Shipp, Evan Peters, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jessica Chastain)

Release Date:
6/7/19 - US Official Date

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action including some gunplay, disturbing images, and brief strong language)

Running Time:
113 min. (1h. 53m.)

Budget:
$200 Million (estimated)

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
This is the story of one of the X-Men’s most beloved characters, Jean Grey, as she evolves into the iconic DARK PHOENIX. During a life-threatening rescue mission in space, Jean is hit by a cosmic force that transforms her into one of the most powerful mutants of all. Wrestling with this increasingly unstable power as well as her own personal demons, Jean spirals out of control, tearing the X-Men family apart and threatening to destroy the very fabric of our planet. The film is the most intense and emotional X-Men movie ever made. It is the culmination of 20 years of X-Men movies, as the family of mutants that we've come to know and love must face their most devastating enemy yet -- one of their own.

IMDb Info:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6565702

Rotten Tomatoes:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_phoenix/

Metacritic:
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dark-phoenix

Trailer:

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/azvR__GRQic" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poster Art:

Last edited by dex14; 06-06-19 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm going tonight to the "Fan Event" showing at the Dolby Cinema (free Keychain included) . The low review scores have dampened the enthusiasm but my son is still really excited to see this. He loves the First Class movies, even Apocalypse and can't wait for this one. I'll post impressions later tonight.
Old 06-06-19, 08:43 AM

I'm not expecting much, but it's not like it is something I'd skip. Seeing it tonight.
Old 06-06-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I want to see this only because of how good the DP saga was in cartoon form. I can't say I'm a fan of Turner playing Grey though.
Old 06-06-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I will miss Fassbender as Magneto and the kid as Quicksilver. Other than that i am glad to see the X-men Fox series die. They have had some entertaining movies (X2, Logan, First Class, DoFP), but in Marvels hands i think we will finally get to see something truly amazing.

Problem with these last couple of movies is they have cast major characters too young. For me Cyclops is very similar to Captain America, as he is a strong leader who pulls the team together, not some kid who seems to be continually lost. Same for Jean Grey. It doesn't help that Sophie Turner is a pretty bad actress. This year sucks for her, GoT has gone and now the X-men franchise disappears. Her career is stalling right before our eyes and she is going the way of Emma Watson (although that girl is a better actress).
Old 06-06-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Going tonight as well. It's X-Men. I love X-Men, and I expected this to be a train wreck from the beginning. I really just want to see Fassbender as Magneto one more time.
Old 06-06-19, 12:11 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

113 minutes is NOT 1 hour and 57 minutes. That four minutes changes everything.

/being an ass
Old 06-06-19, 12:32 PM

No mid- or post-credits scene of any sort at the end of this movie so it's safe to get going once the credits start to roll.
Old 06-06-19, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw the Dark Phoenix movie late last night. So I know what goes on in the movie
Old 06-06-19, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:
Dazzler shows up at a kegger beer party where she sings and does a neat light show thing

aliens from outer space that were tracking their cosmic force thing

Xavier lied and kept a secret about Jean's father

Magneto has a Genosha type small village

Xavier is buddies for a short while with the new President. Mystique gets all huffy about it

No Stryker but soldiers are sent from the President to deal with Jean. But there is a mention of a secret mutant detention center which reeks of Stryker anyway if you think about it

Last edited by dex14; 06-06-19 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spoiler tags are needed until 6pm eastern
Old 06-06-19, 08:31 PM

This has some of the best mutant action of the franchise in the last act, too bad the rest of the movie is a complete bore.

I look forward to this taking a break for a while and for the future of what the MCU holds.
Old 06-06-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I enjoyed it. Wasn't the train wreck I was expecting. It was nice to see the X-Men cheered by the crowd in the beginning. Fassbender is still awesome as Magneto, Turner didn't bother me, but the guy playing Scott still looks like a kid.

Logan would have been a better swan song for the franchise, but I ain't mad at this one.

And Dazzler cameo!

Sadly there was only about 20 people in the theater.

Last edited by stingermck; 06-06-19 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

This was bad. Shitty bad. And the actor who plays Cyclops is horrible. It sucks that this franchise ends like this. I just hope that Marvel is able to rectify and do the Phoenix story properly when they bring the X-Men into the fold.
Old 06-06-19, 10:47 PM

Saw it in IMAX and got a little Keychain. Theater was full. I sat next to a guy who rocked back and forth violently and rapidly in his chair the entire movie. WTF.
I thought the movie was just okay. Certainly not as bad as it's Metacritic score of 44 would lead you to believe. Liked it better than Apocalypse. Couple of good mutant action scenes. Especially liked the one in New York - mutant v mutant in a very evenly matched fight Hated how the space rescue goes down. Very out of character for Charles. Thought Sophie Turner was fine. Disappointed by Chastain, but it was a character trait to be dull as dishwater so not her fault really..

Really disappointed that there wasn't a Quicksilver song bit - those were the highlight of the last two films. After the opening scene, you would have no idea that it took place in 1992. They didn't even use a GHW Bush impersonation for the President - weird since they had Nixon in DOFP.
Old 06-07-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Decker, I think the guy rocking back and forth in his seat may be someone who has Downs Syndrome. I have been in theaters with folks who have Downs Syndrome and for the most part the experience was just fine. Much more annoying are the putzes who seem to have all of their wits about them and still decide to pull out their cell phone before the movie ends.

Anyway, good to hear this should be a fun watch when it hits cable.
Old 06-07-19, 01:35 AM

I'm a physician. I have made the diagnosis of Downs syndrome in a newborn. This guy didn't have Downs. He did not appear to be autistic either. Maybe it was an anxiety coping technique . I've never seen anything like it in my like. Not slow rhythmic rocking but constant rapid violent rocking. It was insane. He must have burned 800 calories during the film.
Old 06-07-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm a physician. I have made the diagnosis of Downs syndrome in a newborn. This guy didn't have Downs. He did not appear to be autistic either. Maybe it was an anxiety coping technique . I've never seen anything like it in my like. Not slow rhythmic rocking but constant rapid violent rocking. It was insane. He must have burned 800 calories during the film.
I would have moved. That would have distracted me too much

Old 06-07-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going tonight to the "Fan Event" showing at the Dolby Cinema (free Keychain included) . The low review scores have dampened the enthusiasm but my son is still really excited to see this. He loves the First Class movies, even Apocalypse and can't wait for this one. I'll post impressions later tonight.
keychain giveaway is probably a hint to drive your ass out of there instead of sticking around to watch this crap
Old 06-07-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I would have moved. That would have distracted me too much
Full IMAX theater + reserved seats = limited options
Old 06-07-19, 02:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I sat next to a guy who rocked back and forth violently and rapidly in his chair the entire movie. WTF.
I apologize, it’s what I do when I watch bad movies. I can’t help it.
Old 06-07-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

DARK PHOENIX (PG-13) - Fox’s final X-Men film strays too far from the excellent source material, and suffers for it

Chris Claremont’s and John Byrne’s “Dark Phoenix” saga has always been considered a touchstone and milestone in the X-Men storytelling. Basically starting in 1976 with Jean Grey becoming Phoenix over a period of issues, then concluding with her transformation into Dark Phoenix in 1980, the red-headed X-Men became a being whose powers would surpass those of Captain Marvel. I remember these stories well, as they were my introduction to the X-Men during my teens and early years as an adult.

In recent years, Fox Studios and various directors have cherry-picked elements of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix tale, shoehorning what was originally a galaxy-spanning story of unbridled, uncontrollable power into something more waterdown and underwhelming. X-Men: United was the first quick stab at trying to scratch the surface of Jean’s transformation and extent of her power, then The Last Stand fumbled the story. Jean didn’t show up again until X-Men: Apocalypse and it felt like Jean’s power was just thrown in as an unnecessary plot device and pretty firebird shape.

Now we have Dark Phoenix, the last of this string of X-Men films before Disney/Marvel takes control of the mutants’ fate. Unfortunately, this final hurrah stumbles out of the gate, gains a bit of momentum, then shuffles across the finish line. It wraps up the series, mostly gets the job done, but you really want a bit more, well, Phoenix from the original stories.

The X-Men spring into action when the shuttle Endeavour is severely damaged by a space anomaly. A rescue is successful, but not before Jean (Sophie Turner) absorbs the anomaly and has difficulty keeping the new power it gives her in check. Meanwhile, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) questions Professor Xavier’s (James McAvoy) willingness to put the team into increasing dangerous situations.

Things go from bad to worse as the power inside of her causes Jean to become emotionally unstable.Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the aliens, led by Jessica Chastain, who are seeking to either harness the power, or destroy it. That part gets a bit confusing.

I will admit, Dark Phoenix does have some pretty cool action set pieces, including a climax that involves everybody cutting loose with their power on a prisoner transport train. It’s the stuff in between that has us, for the most part, drumming out fingers waiting for something to happen. I think the fact that we’ve only had scant exposure to Jean over the past few years doesn’t help us feel like she has an interesting enough story to make us really care about what’s going on. Seriously, they should have given the Phoenix storyline more play before now, and perhaps given us a proper Dark Phoenix over two films, including the interstellar adventure.

But, this is what we have, and a series that has been with us for nearly 20 years closes with just okay. It’s not terrible, and it’s definitely not Avengers great, or even First Class and Days of Future Past quality. It just is what it is, and I’m only going with 2.5 lightsabers out of 5 for this one.

NOTES FOR PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): Dark Phoenix is rated PG-13 for intense sci-fi action and violence, thematic material and brief strong language. The F-bomb is dropped once, and there are a few other milder profanities scattered throughout the movies. The film opens with a terrible car crash. The space rescue is fairly intense. A showdown at Jean’s childhood home has tragic consequences and some blood is seen. Aliens seem mostly impervious to heavy gunfire during the climax, but are later seen disintegrating when Jean uses her powers.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENE: There are no mid- or after-credit scenes.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 06-07-19, 07:02 PM

This is bombing hard. And will likely open less than the original 2000 film. Wow.
Old 06-08-19, 08:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was... not good. Not good at all.
Old 06-08-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I went in with super low expectations and walked out relatively entertained. More was asked of Turner than she was capable of pulling off.

One thing that bugged me at the very beginning was the 1975 title card and then the car radio playing 1978's Werewolves of London. So sloppy and so easily fixable.
Old 06-08-19, 10:06 PM

O wonder her mother wanted to change the station - - they had never heard the song before!

Did they choose the Grey's house in the Cul de Sac to look like the one young Eric and Charles visit at the beginning of X3? It looked like it could have been the same location, as far as I remember.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.