Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Old 04-22-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried doing a search but couldn't find a thread. If one is found, please delete or merge.

Fox has announced a November 2, 2018 release date. Probably could change since it'll open opposite Disney's Mulan...

Last edited by TheMovieman; 04-24-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

I don't know if I have enough faith in Fox to trust them blowing their load and releasing three films in a year. I guess we'll see what happens but aside from Deadpool 2 which has already been in the works it seems like the other two have been in development but not official until now so hopefully they aren't just fast tracking to try and get stuff out because of their recent successes.
Old 04-22-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Will this be starring Sophie Turner?
Old 04-22-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably
Old 04-22-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the green suit

Old 04-22-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sophie Turner in that outfit? Consider me there.
Old 04-22-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They better do it right!

Phoenix storyline probably one of my favorite Uncanny X-Men era.
Old 04-22-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
They better do it right!

Phoenix storyline probably one of my favorite Uncanny X-Men era.
Looks to me like Singer learned absolutely nothing from the first time.

The brilliance of the original Phoenix saga in the comics was that it was a slow burn played out over a year until all of a sudden it went KA-BOOM! and she turned.

The element of time is what made that so magical (just like with the Judas Contract). You get to see these pieces falling into place slowly.
Jamming it all into a two hour film, you get the text but completely miss the spirit of it.

That's why I think (and I know a lot of people will violently disagree here) the best adaptation of this material so far has been Buffy Season 6. The scale of physical destruction isn't as large, but the multiple characters emotional devastation in the situation is.
Old 04-22-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Sophie Turner in that outfit? Consider me there.

Exactly.
Old 04-22-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Looks to me like Singer learned absolutely nothing from the first time.

The brilliance of the original Phoenix saga in the comics was that it was a slow burn played out over a year until all of a sudden it went KA-BOOM! and she turned.

The element of time is what made that so magical (just like with the Judas Contract). You get to see these pieces falling into place slowly.
Jamming it all into a two hour film, you get the text but completely miss the spirit of it.

That's why I think (and I know a lot of people will violently disagree here) the best adaptation of this material so far has been Buffy Season 6. The scale of physical destruction isn't as large, but the multiple characters emotional devastation in the situation is.

Singer? I think he only did X2 with bits of that storyline and Apocalypse with Turner. It was Brett Rather that fucked it up with Last Stand.
Old 04-22-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. Unless they make it a 2 part movie. The 90's series made it last a whole season with 9 or 10 parts in total and it wasn't bad even with the changes.
Old 04-22-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

2018 seems optimistic for New Mutants.

Do they have a script completd, or anyone cast? Seems like it's been in development hell for several years.
Old 04-22-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Deadpool will be in New Mutants too. I sort of feel like that's a character that risks getting overplayed fast if he's used too often.
Old 04-22-17, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. Since DOFP connected the Stewart/Mckellen X Men films with the McAvoy/Fassbender films I wonder if this new film will have any Jean Grey/Phoenix continuity.
Old 04-22-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Singer? I think he only did X2 with bits of that storyline and Apocalypse with Turner. It was Brett Rather that fucked it up with Last Stand.
Screw Ratner.
Even if Singer had stayed on board for X3 the material would have been compromised because he never really took the time to set it up properly.

Just killing her off suddenly at the end and showing a phoenix shadow isn't setting up that storyline in any cathartically substantive way.

And what is really aggravating (and something that similarly happened with his Superman effort*), he already had a framework where he could have established this properly.

It really served no purpose to have Cyclops kidnapped and being put under Jason's mind-bending.
The only thing it accomplished, narratively, was to get Marsden off screen so we could get another movie with Wolverine front and center.

However, if they had used Jean in that capacity, the mind fucking she was getting from Jason would have been completely in keeping with the spirit of the comic.
Resolve the Stryker storyline, and then in we get a third movie where we see instances of major personality changes, resulting from Jason's mind fuck + the experience on Liberty Island, play this out over another traditional conflict (some other unrelated villain). The end of that film could be her taking delight in brutally killing the bad guy, to the horror of everyone else, signaling she has turned, and then have her speed off (if not into space, then just random parts of the earth) to cause devastation.

Then a fourth film has the group massing to confront and subdue/vanquish her.

Even if Ratner had never touched it, Singer set it up so that the character would need to get resurrected and killed off in the same film. The net result would have been just as insubstantial.

(all IMO, of course)

*He actually had the perfect thematic set up for a parasite (or Brainiac) to come back with him undetected to earth, and it's programing or predisposition is to take over this planet and remake it into a new Krypton as per it's biological programing.
There was ZERO need for Luthor to even be in the film, let alone using the exact same dialogue and motivation from the first Donner movie.
Old 04-22-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I wonder if Deadpool will be in New Mutants too. I sort of feel like that's a character that risks getting overplayed fast if he's used too often.
I believe there was a rumor he was. I think there are high probability Cable will be since (IIRC) Brolin signed a 4-picture deal and this might be part of it.
Old 04-22-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Screw Ratner.
Even if Singer had stayed on board for X3 the material would have been compromised because he never really took the time to set it up properly.

Just killing her off suddenly at the end and showing a phoenix shadow isn't setting up that storyline in any cathartically substantive way.

And what is really aggravating (and something that similarly happened with his Superman effort*), he already had a framework where he could have established this properly.

It really served no purpose to have Cyclops kidnapped and being put under Jason's mind-bending.
The only thing it accomplished, narratively, was to get Marsden off screen so we could get another movie with Wolverine front and center.

However, if they had used Jean in that capacity, the mind fucking she was getting from Jason would have been completely in keeping with the spirit of the comic.
Resolve the Stryker storyline, and then in we get a third movie where we see instances of major personality changes, resulting from Jason's mind fuck + the experience on Liberty Island, play this out over another traditional conflict (some other unrelated villain). The end of that film could be her taking delight in brutally killing the bad guy, to the horror of everyone else, signaling she has turned, and then have her speed off (if not into space, then just random parts of the earth) to cause devastation.

Even if Ratner had never touched it, Singer set it up so that the character would need to get resurrected and killed off in the same film. The net result would have been just as insubstantial.

(all IMO, of course)

*He actually had the perfect thematic set up for a parasite (or Brainiac) to come back with him undetected to earth, and it's programing or predisposition is to take over this planet and remake it into a new Krypton as per it's biological programing.
There was ZERO need for Luthor to even be in the film, let alone using the exact same dialogue and motivation from the first Donner movie.
While I was reading this and I asked myself, "who the fuck is Jason?" I looked up... Okay. That explain why those early X-Men are easily forgotten.
Old 04-22-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sophie Turner as the lead is troubling to me ....

Are they recasting Wolverine or just leaving him out? Either way, this should be one interesting experiment.
Old 04-23-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Screw Ratner.

(all IMO, of course)
Lack of faith in Singer to deliver Dark Phoenix is fine based on the fact that Apocalypse was a hot mess. Saying he'll screw this one up because he made a good movie (X2) and someone else made a crappy one (Last Stand) is kind of bizarre.
Old 04-23-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of up in the air with Singer. I mean he kind of made sense of the X-Men universe with Days of Future Past and then proceeded to screw it right back up again with Apocalypse. I never thought his first two X-Men films were that great either so honestly I wouldn't mind if he's just done with the franchise at this point. Get someone fresh in the director's chair.

Also while they're at it as much as I like aspects of the current X-Men films I sort of wish that they'd just start fresh and do a story like this later. With Jackman out as Wolverine and realistically who knows how much longer the current cast will stay on board (it seems like it's up in the air with Fassbender and McAvoy after each film they do) I think it would be a good time to just reset things. There's no need to try and tie the convoluted mess of films they've made together.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-23-17 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-23-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of up in the air with Singer. I mean he kind of made sense of the X-Men universe with Days of Future Past and then proceeded to screw it right back up again with Apocalypse. I never thought his first two X-Men films were that great either so honestly I wouldn't mind if he's just done with the franchise at this point. Get someone fresh in the director's chair.

Also while they're at it as much as I like aspects of the current X-Men films I sort of wish that they'd just start fresh and do a story like this later. With Jackman out as Wolverine and realistically who knows how much longer the current cast will stay on board (it seems like it's up in the air with Fassbender and McAvoy after each film they do) I think it would be a good time to just reset things. There's no need to try and tie the convoluted mess of films they've made together.

This sums it up perfectly. They did okay with the first two (which were great for the time when there weren't many comic adaptations), third one and Wolverine:Origins loused it up. First Class got it mostly back on track and I wish they had retained Vaughn as a director. The Wolverine was great save for the third act and set the stage for Days of Future Past which proceeded to make everything right again. Then..Singer pushed his luck with Apocalypse and it started southbound once more. Logan is the almost picture perfect ending to everything. I say let the whole series rest now. I did not mention Deadpool as I'm pretty certain that takes place in its own alternate timeline.

Dark Phoenix requires an actress capable of great range playing Jean Grey, and Sophie Turner just doesn't have it yet. No movie should get made simply to squeeze an actress into a skin tight outfit.
Old 04-23-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed....reboot everything. Using Deadpool as the launch point. (they've just shown the school, a few characters, etc) Makes no sense to keep this alternate 80's/90's first class story line going. Make the Dark Phoenix story line meaningful down the road with a newly established group.
Old 04-23-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No more Bryan Singer. Apocalypse wasn't bad, but it was so generic and lacking in style and personality that putting him in charge of another epic story just doesn't make sense.

They need new blood. They need to just pause and reboot the whole thing. Start fresh. Build the Phoenix story naturally.

But they're not gonna do that. I couldn't be less excited about a new X-Men movie.
Old 04-23-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the original story that Singer was going to do for X-Men 3 sounded interesting. I think it could have been great. I even liked what they did with the "Phoenix" persona in Ratner's film. But the film needed Cyclops, and he should have been the one to end it, not Wolverine.
Old 04-24-17, 10:33 AM

It seems likely Simon Kinberg may end up doing this as his directorial debut.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/22/dark...alflow_twitter

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.