Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?
yes
75.00%
no
25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

It made 157 million yesterday in the U.S.
Old 04-27-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

This movie is gonna break all the records and I think Avatars record finally has a chance of being broken. Just hearing people around me who have never given a shit about comic book movies at all discussing the movie and saying how they saw it and loved it (going a second time) or are super eager to see the movie is astounding. Hell my wife who tends to hate these movies was pissed we couldn't get tickets for this weekend.

And looking at all showings for all screenings in my area I have never seen literally every single seat booked days ahead of screenings. There's usually the odd seat here and there, but not this time. This is unprecidented. I mean I was guessing a record $280 million domestic weekend, but seeing figures now estimating as high as $340 million is beyond belief.
Old 04-27-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
This movie is gonna break all the records and I think Avatars record finally has a chance of being broken. Just hearing people around me who have never given a shit about comic book movies at all discussing the movie and saying how they saw it and loved it (going a second time) or are super eager to see the movie is astounding. Hell my wife who tends to hate these movies was pissed we couldn't get tickets for this weekend.

And looking at all showings for all screenings in my area I have never seen literally every single seat booked days ahead of screenings. There's usually the odd seat here and there, but not this time. This is unprecidented. I mean I was guessing a record $280 million domestic weekend, but seeing figures now estimating as high as $340 million is beyond belief.
Wait until the 2nd weekend's gross to get a better idea of how much this will eventually make. The opening weekend is at insane hype levels, which makes it hard to judge accurately.
Old 04-28-19, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I know that most movies have a second week drop off of around 50%, but I think this second weekend is going to be stellar. I have my ticket for tomorrow and also bought tickets for next weekend. When I bought the tickets for next weekend I saw that screenings were already almost half fully booked up. That's pretty amazing and looks to me like that drop off will certainly happen, but it's still going to be incredible. $150 millions second weekend I would say is a certainty. $200 million second weekend is actually a possibility. Even though Marvel movies are gonna continue it also feels like the end of an era and fans over the last 11 years of the MCU are all gonna turn out for this, but it seems to have also become more of a cultural phenomenon.
Old 04-28-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went twice. I already had tickets for Saturday with some family and on Friday the weather sucked, sales calls were going nowhere so I decided to play hooky and go see it. I wasn't surprised Saturday morning was booked (even the front row). But Friday at 10:50 was completely sold out too. A lot of people must have been playing hooky on Friday.
Old 04-28-19, 10:45 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Avengers: Endgame shattered the bounds of realistic opening weekend predictions this weekend, with a towering $358 million domestic and around $1.1 billion in its global debut. Domestically, the film earned a 2.28x multiplier (not bad considering the numbers) and snagged the biggest Thursday preview ($60 million), the biggest “pure Friday” ($96.7 million), the biggest single-day gross ($156.7 million on Friday counting the previews), the biggest Saturday ($112 million, down just 29% from Friday) and biggest Sunday grosses ($89 million) even when adjusted for inflation.
Old 04-28-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-28-19, 11:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

as i said in the poll early on and as #'s today prove, yup!
Old 04-28-19, 12:09 PM

It is still a long ways away from TFA.
Old 04-28-19, 12:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, like a week, even with a dropoff.
Old 04-28-19, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yeah, like a week, even with a dropoff.
You think it’s going to make another $600mil domestic in a week?
Old 04-28-19, 12:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

No, but it will best TFA. I'd guess within a month. Capt Marvel is #2 with it being in theaters 8 weeks, but due to the Endgame bump. Who knows, Endgame may still be in the top 5 by the time Far From Home comes out.
Old 04-28-19, 12:49 PM

I’m still laughing at whoever said they’d be surprised if it makes more than IW in the original thread.
Old 04-28-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

$350 million (probably $354 million when the final tally comes in) and I STILL don't think it will best The Force Awakens $936 million domestic record. It's got a really good shot at topping Avatar worldwide, though.
Old 04-28-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm sure it will come close to TFA if not beat it. Could it be the first movie to top $1 billion domestically?
Old 04-28-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru
I'm sure it will come close to TFA if not beat it. Could it be the first movie to top $1 billion domestically?

It's got 3-4 weeks to do it before JW3 and Godzilla come out.
Old 04-28-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's got 3-4 weeks to do it before JW3 and Godzilla come out.
I doubt Godzilla will even make a blip at the box office. JW3 may knock the Avengers out of the top spot for the weekend but I'm sure the weekend grosses will still be close.
Old 04-28-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

As a Star Wars fan, I stand corrected as it looks like The Avengers movie will probably beat The Force Awakens. Even though I disdain comic book movies, I want to congratulate whoever overseas these movies because I have noticed that they captured a younger generation of fans (compared to Star Wars where the franchise lives off of Nostalgia). I don't know one person (over 35) who went to see The Avengers this weekend, but everyone I know (under 35) saw it, so that tells me they were smart to embrace the Millenials and Gen Z as this is their generation's Star Wars.
Old 04-28-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I'm over 35 and saw it this weekend, and know many more that did. I am officially burnt out on Star Wars, I'll see the next one in December, but more out of obligation than anything. On the other hand, I'm still excited about any Marvel film that comes out, they have remained fresh and exciting for me, while Star Wars is just tired and like you say, totally riding on nostalgia at this point. But hey, everyone has different tastes. If you had told me when I was 10 years old back in 1977 that I would eventually get tired of new SW films, I would have told you that you're crazy.
Old 04-28-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Isn't Star Wars essentially a movie series in the vain of what you would get in comics? I would even venture to say that Lucas would have had comics made of his idea if he thought they would be successful.
Old 04-28-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Isn't Star Wars essentially a movie series in the vain of what you would get in comics? I would even venture to say that Lucas would have had comics made of his idea if he thought they would be successful.
Lucas wanted Star Wars comics right from the beginning, he knew they would work. They practically begged Marvel to publish them, when editor Roy Thomas finally convinced Marvel to give it a shot. And of course, the huge success of the Marvel Star Wars comic single handedly saved Marvel from the brink of failure in 1977. Funny how things eventually worked out.
Old 04-28-19, 06:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Star Wars IV-IX are space odyssey/adventures. The Avengers and the kin are superhero movies. 2 totally different genres imo. Both structured in similar fashion of course, right down to "super" powers, but really different in narrative i think...
Old 04-28-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
As a Star Wars fan, I stand corrected as it looks like The Avengers movie will probably beat The Force Awakens. Even though I disdain comic book movies, I want to congratulate whoever overseas these movies because I have noticed that they captured a younger generation of fans (compared to Star Wars where the franchise lives off of Nostalgia). I don't know one person (over 35) who went to see The Avengers this weekend, but everyone I know (under 35) saw it, so that tells me they were smart to embrace the Millenials and Gen Z as this is their generation's Star Wars.
I'm 42 and I saw it twice this weekend. There were plenty of older people at both showings (many of them without kids), and I know people of all ages who love these movies.

Also, as my username should tell you, I am also a huge Star Wars fan who grew up with the property. At this point I'm not sure that I can muster anywhere the excitement that I had for this movie for Episode IX.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 04-28-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Your typo is also telling. These movies have a lot more appeal in foreign markets than even the Star Wars movies do. MCU movies overseas outgross the US box office 2:1, while recent Star Wars is just about 50/50.
Old 04-28-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So in one weekend, this movie has three times as much in the global box office as the last Star Wars movie made globaly during it's entire run. It's near made as much domestically during the weekend as the Han Solo movie made globally for its whole run as well.

I would suspect it will crack $600M maybe close to $650M by the end of next weekend. So by the end of it's run domestically, it should be at least the 2nd highest grossing movie (unajusted for inflation) of all time. I'm sure it will beat TFA by the end and it will be interesting to see if it can hit the $1B mark at the end of its run.

Last edited by movieguru; 04-28-19 at 10:15 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.