Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?
yes
75.00%
no
25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

Old 04-23-19, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What say you?
Old 04-23-19, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

Maybe?
Old 04-23-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Will Avengers: Endgame surpass the domestic gross record set by The Force Awakens?

Yeah, maybe. I think it's going to set records the first couple weekends...but honestly, how many times do teenagers and fans want to sit through a 3 hour + film? Repeat business is what determines those all-time records. Even Infinity War, which beat The Force Awakens' opening weekend record, didn't come close to matching it's overall domestic BO.
Old 04-23-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It will break it.
Old 04-23-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
...but honestly, how many times do teenagers and fans want to sit through a 3 hour + film?.

Old 04-23-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on pre-sales, it may have already. But in the theatrical run, yes it will. Like I mentioned before, but will it knock down Cameron’s top two?
Old 04-23-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Yeah, but that movie had global appeal across the board. It wasn't just teens going to see that movie three or four times...it was adults as well. I don't see the 40+ crowd (of which I'm a member) going to see Endgame three or four times, no matter how good. I loved Infinity War, but I only saw it once in the theater. Plus, Titanic had the advantage of coming out in the winter and playing when not much else was hitting theaters (it was #1 at the box office for 15 straight weeks)...Endgame has a few weeks before additional "tentpoles" start coming out.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-23-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Based on pre-sales, it may have already. But in the theatrical run, yes it will. Like I mentioned before, but will it knock down Cameronís top two?
I think Endgame has a much better chance of topping Avatar's worldwide record than The Force Awakens domestic record. We'll see.
Old 04-23-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course it will. And in a few years something else (another Star Wars film, the finale to MCU Phase 4, maybe something out of left field) will break Endgame's record. It never stops.
Old 04-23-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Force Awakens was able to snag the casual of casual fans (many of them who hadn't seen a Star Wars movie since the OT days). Can The Avengers snag those type of movie goers who literally only come out of the woodworks for an event movie? I'm not saying this movie won't make alot of money, but I know many people at work/family/friends who saw The Force Awakens who NEVER see any blockbusters movies. To give context, they hadn't seen any Star Wars films since, and I just don't see those type of casual fans coming out to an Avengers movie (The only people who are talking about it in my work are the typical nerd fans who see any blockbuster movie).
Old 04-23-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Nope. Both FA and IW had $250mil openings; FA had legs though and made $300mil more than IW. I predict $325 mil opening for Endgame and a final total of $850-$875mil at best. Not going into spoilers, but I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this one be super front loaded and top out at $725mil after a super long run.
Old 04-24-19, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not a chance in hell. This will be lucky to get past $750 million.

2+ Billion Worldwide sure.
Old 04-24-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are the numbers for reference:

Domestic:
#1 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens, $936,662,225
#2 - Avatar, $760,507,625
#3 - Black Panther, $700,059,566
#4 - Avengers: Infinity War, $678,815,482

Endgame's sheer hype and buildup will likely push it to #2 of all time domestic, but not enough to pass TFA. Excellent reviews and a relatively light May release schedule will also help a lot. There isn't another really big movie until Godzilla at the end of the month (Aladdin on the 24th looks hella shaky).

For funsies, let's look at worldwide grosses.

Worldwide:
#1 Avatar, $2,788B
#2 Titanic, $2,188B
#3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens, $2,068B
#4 Avengers: Infinity War, $2,048.4B

Again, Endgame has enough momentum to get to #2 of all time here in this category as well, but not enough to surpass Avatar. It's rather remarkable that of all the the mega-budget tentpole releases that have been released since 2009, none have come even close to eclipsing the tall, blue cat-aliens. Hell, even 22 year old Titanic has been able to fend off all the modern-day challengers so far.
Old 04-25-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yeah, but that movie had global appeal across the board. It wasn't just teens going to see that movie three or four times...it was adults as well. I don't see the 40+ crowd (of which I'm a member) going to see Endgame three or four times, no matter how good. I loved Infinity War, but I only saw it once in the theater. Plus, Titanic had the advantage of coming out in the winter and playing when not much else was hitting theaters (it was #1 at the box office for 15 straight weeks)...Endgame has a few weeks before additional "tentpoles" start coming out.
Agreed. It probably won't mean much to anyone here, but my grandmother went to see Titanic. I can't recall her seeing a movie in the theater for at least 20 years before or any movie at all after Titanic. That movie somehow got her into the theater, and I doubt she was the only person like that.
Old 04-25-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty sure it will. But I'm fine with it.
Old 04-25-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It won't come within $150mm of TFA domestic total, but with overseas it'll clear $2b easy.
Old 04-26-19, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every showing was sold out tonight at my theater that I have been going to for 15 years and I have NEVER seen that happen for any movie. This will easily brake those records.
Old 04-26-19, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a tough one. Opening weekend for sure. But for some reason winter movies just play better for repeat business. I think people don't have a lot to do combined with little in the way of competition and you get those really long legs like Avatar, Star Wars TFA, Black Panther. But having watched the movie I can see a lot of repeat business happening. I'm going to say no though.
Old 04-26-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Nope. Both FA and IW had $250mil openings; FA had legs though and made $300mil more than IW. I predict $325 mil opening for Endgame and a final total of $850-$875mil at best. Not going into spoilers, but I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this one be super front loaded and top out at $725mil after a super long run.
I think this is a good prediction.
Old 04-26-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It made 100 million on Day 1 in China and made 60 million on Thursday night alone.
Old 04-26-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was super (lol) surprise when all the shows were sold out on a Thursday night. It has never happen before at my theater. I can't wait to see the final numbers for this weekend.
Old 04-26-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at a 10:50 showing this morning and on a Friday I got one of two seats left in the theater
Old 04-26-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been going to one of the large auditoriums at our local theater for years. I'm almost always at the big blockbusters on opening weekend and I've never see that theater full like it was last night for Endgame. And that includes The Force Awakens.

I want to see it again this weekend so I went to check the 10 AM showing tomorrow and it's almost sold out. I've NEVER seen that happen. And the first 8 AM showing in one of the smaller auditoriums is almost sold out too. That's insane.

Last edited by Draven; 04-26-19 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Not a chance in hell. This will be lucky to get past $750 million.

2+ Billion Worldwide sure.
Well now this guy appears to be an idiot...
Old 04-27-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After this, expect A LOT of franchises to keep their plot secret after a major cliffhanger.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.