Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86
I sort of expected him to give the shield and mantle of Cap to Bucky over Sam, but I get that they’re probably going to be pushing for more diversity going forward.
There's that, but Cap knows of Sam's experience & trust from all the fighting they've been doing from Hydra to Crossbones to Team-Iron Man to Fugitive Life. Compared to the brainwashed hits that Bad Bucky committed. Plus (And, whether intentional or not, this is key to me) Cap may have been influenced by the leadership Sam showed in the rehab for Vets seen in Winter Soldier. We saw Cap repeating this act for the post-snapped world here in Endgame. Great touch. Again, whether intentional or not.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I would imagine Tony’s daughter becomes a hero at some point and I know Scott’s daughter Cassie eventually is Stinger/Ant-Girl.

Man, that reunion was one of my most favorite moments in this film. PERFECT acting, perfect lines, perfect delivery and perfect length of scene.
Old 04-27-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I am that cool kid who has no interest in seeing this movie. I haven't seen any of the Marvel films since the first Ant-Man.

Old 04-27-19, 02:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So, how can Cap return the Space Stone (Tesseract) or the Reality Stone (Ether) when neither one is in the same form as when they were plucked out of time? Maybe Dr. Strange fixed them? IDK
Old 04-27-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

My initial thoughts after viewing?

Finally, I can cosplay as Thor!
Old 04-27-19, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I am that cool kid who has no interest in seeing this movie. I haven't seen any of the Marvel films since the first Ant-Man.

Old 04-27-19, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

We have a Young Avengers team in the making with Peter Parker, Kassie Lang, Hawkeye's kids, the kid from Iron Man 3. I wonder if they'll keep Tony Stark around by becoming the next JARVIS or as they did in the comic books, keeping his brain in a computer system where he can download himself, similar to JARVIS
Old 04-27-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I would like to have seen what happened when Cap took the soul stone back to Virmir and he saw him though.
That should have been the post-credits scene.
Old 04-27-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Now that I've had a few days to process it, a few things other people haven't yet chimed in on yet:

* Love what they did with Hawkeye and Ant-Man in this film. In fact, if you stretch it, Ant-Man saves the universe in it, which is pretty cool. Hawkeye really got shafted (pun intended) in the first Avengers movie, but since Ultron they've been trying to give Clint a bit more character, and his arc in this film more than makes up for missing out on Infinity War.
* The Captain America/Mjolnir moment is awesome, but I also want to shout out to the great sequence where Scarlet Witch goes toe-to-toe with Thanos and very nearly seems to take him down. I've always dug the Witch and Olsen does a good job with her, but she's definitely never been a major character in these movies so that little moment which acknowledges how powerful she could be was well worth it.
* Still astonished they got Robert frickin' Redford for a 2-minute cameo return!
* It was very ballsy, more so the more I think about it, to actually not totally reset the clock and keep the five-year interregnum. It opens up a lot of story possibilities (which I imagine we'll see in Far From Home) and leaves the world truly changed. I (like most of us) figured there'd probably be some time travel hijinks to solve the whole Thanos snap thing, but doing it this way is a lot messier and more chaotic than just resetting everything to pre-Infinity War. I'll be truly curious to see how much focus it gets in coming films - obviously it shouldn't take over everything unless you want it to turn into Marvel Universe: The PTSD Years but it's a pretty interesting choice to make.
Old 04-27-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Wife and I really enjoyed it. While I had a pretty good felling about IM and Cap not returning, I would have thought that IM would have lived and retired with Pepper and their daughter. Like a few others have mentioned, I hate that they pretty much ignored Black Widow's sacrifice.

But, really, it all comes down to a random rat in a van!
Old 04-27-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Random thoughts:

I think one of the things I'm having to reconcile in my brain is that Endgame was more of a true "Avengers" film than Infinity War was. And by that I mean that the Original Six were really the main focus of Endgame, whereas Infinity War gave some ample screen time to non-Avengers like Strange, Spider-Man, tGotG, etc. I knew because of the "dusting" that Endgame would by default give the Original Six a lot more screen time, yet still felt like some of the other characters got shortchanged. A lot of them felt like glorified cameos. That's perfectly fine and I understand why things worked out that way. I think it'll sit better with me on a second viewing.

I got full-body goosebumps when Cap got the hammer. My theater didn't cheer, but there was like an awe-filled collective moan in the room when that happened.

I love me some female superheroes, but that girl-power moment couldn't have been more clunky. It threw me out of the movie for a moment, as did the disappearance of Clint's family. I know 50% doesn't mean 50% of every group of people, but the dusting took out 1/5 of his family, leaving him alive. Not an impossibility, but very convenient for the plot and improbable.

I think my second-favorite moment (after Cap's hammertime) was watching Scarlet Witch be the one to finally bring Thanos to a standstill in battle. Heck yeah. She's powerful and she's pissed about Vision. She deserved that moment.

I'm still confused about where Gamora was at the end. Like, didn't any of the Guardians (especially Quill or Nebula) think to keep tabs on her as the battle ended? And if not, why wasn't there at least some lip service given to, "Has anyone seen Gamora? I lost track of her." Just having Peter randomly on the ship looking at her picture seemed a little silly -- just go outside and look for her! Hopefully this will be explaing in GotG3.

My biggest laugh of the movie: the Asgardians chasing Rocket and yelling, "Get that rabbit!" Also laughed at Rocket saying that the Guardians were his family, including "the girl with the antennae."

All kinds of feels when Tony talked to his dad, when Cap danced with Peggy, the hamburger moment, and when Black Widow died. (Still, I have to say, I felt like Gamora's death in Infinity War was more of a gut-punch for whatever reason. Maybe because BW died willingly while Gamora was dragged.)

By default of plot necessities and time constraints, the Children of Thanos were all much easier to deal with in this movie, a mere shadow of their more formidable selves in Infinity War. I get it, but still. But I'll never complain about giving Ebony Maw more screen time.

The less said about Captain Marvel, the better. So far she's the only hero in the MCU that I dislike. I really hope in future movies they find a way to give her more charm/personality. I don't care how she's written in the comics; in the movies there's little to like about her. She's just a soulless flying powerhouse.

What an emotionally-satisfying, well-done movie. I loved it. And yet I don't see myself revisiting it as much as other movies in the series, even Infinity War, which I thought was better paced overall. Still, I don't think they could've done much better with this movie than they did.
Old 04-27-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I am okay if both Peter and his best friend were dusted. However, if in Far From Home it turns out ALL of his classmates key to his story were conveniently dusted, sorry, I don't buy that. Kind of like how coincidentally all of the original Avengers survived. Don't get me wrong, I liked how they treated it, but unless they say the stones have a method to their madness , then I have trouble buying into it. If it turns out that MJ is actually a chaperone on this trip because she's gone on to college , that could work, and I think Zendaya is college aged. That would actually make their relationship more interesting IMO, and it's never been done with a Peter Parker and MJ story before .
Old 04-27-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Just saw it. Loved it!

What I found interesting was how it was almost the mirror image of the last movie...

Like, the last movie was Thanos looking for the stones, big battle, he wins, not without cost.
This movie is Avengers looking for the stones, big battle, they win, not without cost.
Old 04-27-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Couple little things, not gripes, but just a "zig" when I thought they would've "zagged"...

Surprised Cap gave his shield to Falcon instead of Bucky - mostly because it's Bucky who becomes Cap (temporarily) in the comics. I mean, Falcon is already Falcon with the wings and stuff.

And I dunno why, but I assumed Captain Marvel was going to have a big part in this movie. In retrospect it makes sense as this is about the old team, but there was chatter that she'd be featured prominently in the movie, which turned out to not be the case.

Oh, and the only thing spoiled for me beforehand was seeing Iron Man's Infinity Gauntlet in the toy aisle at Target a couple weeks ago.
Old 04-27-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Like, the last movie was Thanos looking for the stones, big battle, he wins, not without cost.
This movie is Avengers looking for the stones, big battle, they win, not without cost.
Best Buy knew all along!
Spoiler:

And just an "old time's sake" post when the original 6 first got together. Memories!!!
Old 04-27-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Couple little things, not gripes, but just a "zig" when I thought they would've "zagged"...

Surprised Cap gave his shield to Falcon instead of Bucky - mostly because it's Bucky who becomes Cap (temporarily) in the comics. I mean, Falcon is already Falcon with the wings and stuff.
Falcon also becomes Cap in the comics. This happened in 2015 after Cap was aged into an old man and he appointed Sam as his replacement, pretty much the same as what happened here.

Old 04-27-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved it. A virtually perfect culmination of a 22 film saga. Can't really add more to the discussion than that.
Old 04-27-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel bad for showings were people aren't cheering and stuff. The morning showing I went too people were pretty docile (it was 7am after all), so I'm glad I saw the movie the first time with a vocal (in the good way) crowd.

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
* Love what they did with Hawkeye and Ant-Man in this film. In fact, if you stretch it, Ant-Man saves the universe in it, which is pretty cool. Hawkeye really got shafted (pun intended) in the first Avengers movie, but since Ultron they've been trying to give Clint a bit more character, and his arc in this film more than makes up for missing out on Infinity War.
I was talking with a friend about how awesome Ant-Man was. His movies I can take or leave, but Scott Lang has this wonderfully charming "aww shucks" nature about him that I just find so goddamn endearing. If anything he's not a hero (in the way Cap, Iron Man, or Black Panther are), which makes him the most heroic person out there in some respects because he is totally out of his depth, but does the good thing that needs doing anyway. When he was rushing to save Hulk and War Machine I was like "you go Scott!". He brings a lot of humor but also heart to these movies. Rudd was such a left field, but awesome choice for this role.

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I got full-body goosebumps when Cap got the hammer. My theater didn't cheer, but there was like an awe-filled collective moan in the room when that happened.
This moment was so fucking epic, so I'm not taking away from it, but I watched a youtube video where a guy brought up maybe they shouldn't have had Vision wield the hammer so this would be the first time it has happened in these movies. I remember the Vision moment being pretty neat, but I kinda find myself wishing that Cap was the first and only person (so far anyway) to have been able to pick up the hammer as well. It wouldn't have made the moment THAT much better, because as it stands I was already at max levels of pumped when Cap had the hammer, but seeing how Vision's story played out I wouldn't be made at taking his hammer moment away to make this one even that much more cooler. Though, there is a difference between picking the hammer up like Vision did, and wrecking fucking shop like Cap did -- so again the nittiest of picks.

Old 04-27-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. Wow, so awesome. I don't know how they could have created a more satisfying conclusion. It did follow the predictable path of time travel with Ant Man, but I don't think anyone saw past Thanos being able to scan the neural network for current Nebula and come back to earth. Great surprise. Brolin did just an amazing job bringing this character to life. I got goosebumps when he said he was going to enjoy destroying earth.

The callbacks to the early films were so cool even giving Thor The Dark World a moment in the spotlight. And wow, I wasn't expecting to see Ancient One again. That makes me want to watch Dr Strange again since apparently she knew all along that he would be their great leader.

One thing that surprised me is I just didn't feel much emotion at Tony's death. Maybe it's because I was expecting it to happen. Infinity Wars was much more emotional for me because the deaths were just hitting you out of nowhere. Tony getting stabbed in the first film hit me much harder.
Old 04-27-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I really didn't get that emotional when Tony actually died, but as a father, the waterworks started for me when he told his daughter "I love you 3,000" via recording.
Old 04-27-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
I liked Captain Marvel in her own movie on here she just felt out of place and weird. I mean, I guess I'm cool with the explanation they gave for her being missing and all. But her appearance at the end was blah. I kinda felt like she should've had a longer fight with Thanos.
The trailer made it seem like we would get a lot of fun interaction between her and Thor, but yea she didn't add much to the film. I wanted to see her getting the distress signal, arriving and meeting the Avengers for the first time.
Old 04-27-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I just got back, and was underwhelmed. When the final battle with Thanos was done, my first thought was "Is that it? There's more, right?" Entertaining enough, but not something I'd watch again on purpose.
Old 04-27-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Anyone else notice the kid from Iron Man 3 at the funeral scene? That was an interesting addition.
That’s who that was! He was the only person that I had no clue who the hell he was. Nobody else (in my screening) did either.
Old 04-27-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

A problem they need to rectify ASAP with Captain Marvel is after her solo movie I feel no sense of conflict with her. Thor’s a god, yet we’ve seen him deal with his own guilt and family issues; Cap is almost perfect but the sense of loss and being a man out of time give him a melancholy air; etc etc. The CM in Endgame was just a deus ex machina and had almost zero interactions of consequence with the others. I was certainly surprised by how little she had to do in it after all the hyperbole that the Avengers needed her to stop Thanos.
Old 04-27-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The trailer made it seem like we would get a lot of fun interaction between her and Thor, but yea she didn't add much to the film. I wanted to see her getting the distress signal, arriving and meeting the Avengers for the first time.
Captain Marvel to me so far has felt like a misfire of sorts far (a billion dollar movie misfire -- sure). I didn't care for her movie much, and in this movie she felt more like a tiny bit of dessert, instead of any part of the real meal. Not that I would have wanted her to take time away from any of the core Avengers, but I can easily imagine her being taken completely out of this movie and it losing nothing. Her main purpose was basically establishing that Earth isn't the center of the universe, and that was about it. A lot of this feeling falls on me though, as to me it felt like they were pushing her movie out because she NEEDED to be a factor in Endgame, when that really didn't turn out to be the case. So my assumptions and expectations were let down.

I'm hopeful I will care about her in the future, but so far characters that I'm not big on in their own solo movies (Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man), have shined in these Avengers movies, so it was odd for that not to happen for me with Captain Marvel.

Old 04-27-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Are people really that mad that there isn't a end credit's scene? I know it's somewhat of a tradition but what would they throw in there? Teasing the next Spider-Man movie with mysterio putting on a helmet? Morgan Stark eating a cheesburger? The last 20 mins of the movie is like one big end credits scene. Plus anything they throw in there wouldn't fit at all and would distract from the end of the movie. People are that petty to feel like they were "tricked" into watching the credits?

I guess I'm the only "sucker" that likes to stay until the last of the credits roll.
It didn’t bother me until you said that ... it should have been all the kids (Morgan, Cassie, Hawkeye’s kids, Captain Marvel’s friend’s kid, and teen Groot) eating cheeseburgers just like the shawarma scene from the first Avengers.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 04-27-19 at 09:11 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.