Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Men have issues.
When that moment happened, my wife tapped me and said, "Oh brother."

Look, just because that scene featured only women doesn't mean it's above criticism. As many have said, to some viewers it came across as pandering and hamfisted and lacked logic. (Check the link posted by RichC2 above which was written by a woman.) Imagine if only the characters dressed in red, white and blue suddenly assembled on the battlefield, giving the movie a blatant "Amurica!" moment. You bet there would be criticism, and rightfully so.

And lest it be insinuated (again) that I'm being sexist, aren't there rumors circulating that Tessa Thompson has pitched an MCU team-up movie featuring only female heroes? Awesome...where's my ticket? The MCU has done a great job creating relatable, nuanced female heroes and they could totally carry a movie on their own.
Old 04-30-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

For what is worth, the scene was hamfisted but so where many iconic visuals. So who the fuck cares. It was cool. The whole final fight was a complete nerdgasm fan service
Old 04-30-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
For what is worth, the scene was hamfisted but so where many iconic visuals. So who the fuck cares. It was cool. The whole final fight was a complete nerdgasm fan service
Valid point. Can't disagree with you there. And I will say this, I was amazed at just how many female heroes there were in that shot. I hadn't considered before just how many there were. And that was excluding the OG Black Widow. (*Sob*)
Old 04-30-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix

Look, just because that scene featured only women doesn't mean it's above criticism. As many have said, to some viewers it came across as pandering and hamfisted and lacked logic. (Check the link posted by RichC2 above which was written by a woman.) Imagine if only the characters dressed in red, white and blue suddenly assembled on the battlefield, giving the movie a blatant "Amurica!" moment. You bet there would be criticism, and rightfully so.

And lest it be insinuated (again) that I'm being sexist, aren't there rumors circulating that Tessa Thompson has pitched an MCU team-up movie featuring only female heroes? Awesome...where's my ticket? The MCU has done a great job creating relatable, nuanced female heroes and they could totally carry a movie on their own.

That's more of HER issue than what was onscreen.

To be fair, I've always thought the heroic "poses" were hamfisted especially in Ultron, but it doesn't take me out of the picture. With all the female team-ups in that scene - it was more of a badass hell yeah moment to let them shine with Captain Marvel and Scarlett Witch being the most powerful of them all. SW fucked Thanos up. He had to pull that kimakaze move to get out of there.
Old 04-30-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
That's more of HER issue than what was onscreen.
Got it. Men, and my wife, have issues. Good talk.
Old 04-30-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

What would you like me to say? Here's this great moment of female superhero empowerment and she reacts with an "oh brother?" I guess it's YOUR problem then.

Old 04-30-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

My wife said it was one of her favorite parts.
Old 04-30-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Whoa, it's almost like different people have different opinions on something! Let's psycho-analyze each other on why that is.

Them all surviving almost entirely unscathed from Thanos's fire bombing also bugged me.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-30-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What would you like me to say? Here's this great moment of female superhero empowerment and she reacts with an "oh brother?" I guess it's YOUR problem then.
What I would like you to say is, I didn't have a problem with that moment, but I can see why other people might, and it has nothing to do with their view of women. and that moment wasn't great, it was pandering, which even women are pointing out in articles.

What I don't get is, one can point out the illogic of Clint being the only survivor in his family, or the illogic of the original six Avengers surviving the dusting, but one better not dare mention the illogic of all the women assembling at random on the battlefield. Suddenly that one is MY problem.

Whatever. Nothing I can say is going to make a difference on this forum.
Old 04-30-19, 11:53 AM

Finally read the article posted regarding the scene. And something I agree and did bother me was the funeral. It was only for Tony and the whole cast paying respect to him only. Natasha has been there since Iron-Man 2.
And talking about being short changed, they really need to improve Captain Marvel. She needs more character development. I hope they get a better writer/director for her sequel
Old 04-30-19, 12:00 PM

For what is worth even though my wife hasn't seen it yet. I can totally picture her rolling her eyes at that scene as well. She does that with all unnecessary hamfisted things. I think she was like "why we need this again" when they introduced Peter Parker on Civil War.
Old 04-30-19, 12:10 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9fX3klpTa44" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-30-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Joe Russo's Q&A about the plot of Avengers: Endgame in China

Heres some answers to things being discussed here

Q: Did Captain America's action at the end affect the timeline? Does that mean there was a time where two CA existed in a same universe?

A: To me, CA's action in the end wasn't the fact he wanted to change anything, it's more like me has made a choice. He chose to go back to past and lived with the one he loved for the rest of his life. The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don't know how exactly his life turned out, but I'd like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world. Yes, there were two CA in that reality, it's just like what Hulk said, what happened in the past has already happened. If you go back to past, you simply created a new reality. The characters in this movie created new timeline when they went back to the past, but it had no effect to the prime universe. What happened in the past 22 movies was still canon.

Q: What about those people who got dusted? What did those five years mean to them? Why didn't they grow older when undusted?

A: Yes, those people whom was lucky to survive the snap are 5 years older than the people who just got back. The reason Spider Man saw his friend again in high school at the end was simply because his friends was unfortunately also dusted like Spider Man was. Of course, there are people in his grade whom didn't die and they are probably already in colleges by now. To those dusted people, they had no conscious in these past 5 years. They didn't know what happened. It's as if they had just woke up from a long sleep. The only one who was aware about how many years has passed was Doctor Strange, because he has already seen that when he was time mediating on Titan. Parker's reunion with Ned was a touching moment. There are also people whom indeed moved on but suddenly was reunited with their lost ones. Yeah it's kind a complicated world now.

Q: Why didn't Black Widow get a funeral as well?

A: Did you forget when the heroes where mourning for her after when they returned from past? Maybe her funeral happened off screen. Maybe it will be shown in future installment, because there are still tons of stories in MCU that are waiting to be tell.
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...ngers_endgame/
Old 04-30-19, 01:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

who was the tall lanky looking white guy at Tony's funeral? they panned over him towards the end, before we see Captain Marvel and then Nick. he seemed significant the way it was shot and have no idea who he was...
Old 04-30-19, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
who was the tall lanky looking white guy at Tony's funeral? they panned over him towards the end, before we see Captain Marvel and then Nick. he seemed significant the way it was shot and have no idea who he was...
The kid from Iron Man 3.
Old 04-30-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The kid from Iron Man 3.
Same actor too, I didn't recognize him at first
Old 04-30-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Men have issues.
Yeah, getting bashed on social media for several years as having no redeeming values will create issues.

Men are the new bad guys in society. It's OK to bash men, but should men get critical of something unrealistic showing, "Girl Power," just for the sake of a political agenda then suddenly men are sexist, misogynist dinosaurs worthy of contempt. Because we have issues.

The scene was pandering at it's worst. Showing women INTEGRATED with the men, fighting alongside them, is the best way to show equality. Not showing them separately.

I had and have ZERO problem with showing strong, powerful women in these situations, but that was obvious, distracting pandering that took me out of the movie.
Old 04-30-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

At least none of them had a proton pack...
Old 04-30-19, 02:30 PM

omg....
Old 04-30-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Yeah, getting bashed on social media for several years as having no redeeming values will create issues.

Men are the new bad guys in society. It's OK to bash men, but should men get critical of something unrealistic showing, "Girl Power," just for the sake of a political agenda then suddenly men are sexist, misogynist dinosaurs worthy of contempt. Because we have issues.
You honestly feel "the internet" is telling you that you have no value, and that you're being bashed? Really?
Because the reality is almost the opposite of that.

Old 04-30-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who cares. Not the place. Though it seems to happen in every thread anymore, so maybe it is the place.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-30-19 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 03:17 PM

Please stop and move on.
Old 04-30-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
You honestly feel "the internet" is telling you that you have no value, and that you're being bashed? Really?
Because the reality is almost the opposite of that.
Not where I work. Society has changed, thus the pandering Girl Power scene.

But I guess those in charge don't want that discussion here, and since the political forum is pretty much worthless for any real discussion, that will be the end of that.
Old 04-30-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just realized something. I always thought there was an unwritten rule that the MCU movies never reference the TV shows. That isn't the case anymore because in the 1970 scene, Howard Stark's butler Jarvis is shown, who was played by the same Jarvis in Peggy Carter.
Old 04-30-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I think somebody mentioned that Jarvis is the only TV character to transfer over. Maybe Agent Carter is canon and the others aren't? I know there was debate about the One Shot, but I don't think Jarvis was in that.

Or maybe just a different Jarvis, same actor situation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.