Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Oh and people also cheered when the Star Wars trailer came on. Lol.
Old 04-26-19, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I loved the film and the crowd in the theater was great. Even teared up when everyone came back and the army of heroes showed up to fight Thanos. Still, the movie has some issues that I imagine were done to set up for more Marvel movies
- Sad that we didn't get Hulk vs Thanos 2
- The time travel stuff pretty much confirms that these guys created parallel universes. How can current Nebula survive when she killed past Nebula? How could Cap go back in time and not fucked up things by marrying Peggy Carter? That means that SHIELD was different and people who lived due to Peggy's previous marriage now never existed.
- I'm pretty sure Black Widow will be back. Hulk wished for her return with the stones, so that may happen. Also, how could Nat and Clint not recognize the Red Skull?
- I hope that now that there are 2 mystic hammers out there, we finally get Beta Ray Bill in a future movie.
- Where the fuck was Lady Sif? Isn't she getting a Disney + show? She's the only one that survived of the Warriors 3
- I know that they made it clear a while back that Movie and TV were not going to mix but it would have been awesome if Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Deathlok, Quake, Cloak, Dagger and the Runaways had showed up for a small cameo. I know is wishful thinking but all these characters are important in the Marvel Universe and at least the Defenders have a huge following.
- Was the earthquake in the sea a possible reference to Namor?
- I would love to see Hank Pym be the new Vision creator as it would be a nod to him creating Ultron in the comics, who then created Vision.
- Would also have liked if Banner reference Doc Samson, who was played by Ty Burrell in the Incredible Hulk movie back in 2008, as a key to achieving Professor Hulk.
- How the hell did Ant-Man survived the blast from the rockets that were launched straight to him?
- It was really cool to see Jim Starlin, the creator of Thanos and Gamora, in the film during the Steve Rogers support group session
- Loved seeing the kid from Iron Man 3 all grown up and wonder if the sound at the end of the film is him building a new suit or if it was just a tribute to Tony Stark.
- Geeked out like a comic book nerd when A-Force (minus She-Hulk) got their time together on screen. Got goosebumps in that scene, although I understand that some people saw it as "preachy" and "forced". Hey, we guys gotten all this fan service for the past 11 years with all the male characters showing up.
- I still don't understand the hate towards Captain Marvel/Brie Larson. Her character in the MCU highly resembles the source material for the past 10 years. Before that, when she was Ms Marvel, she was still written as a incredibly strong character, even after she came back from the coma when Rogue took her powers.

From my understanding, Spider-Man: Far From Home is an epilogue to the Infinity Saga, and it was kinda teased when Ned saw Peter and they embraced but showed that Peter is having a hard time dealing with everything. Also, the next new property in the works is The Eternals, which is even more obscure than Guardians of the Galaxy. In all honesty, Eternals have never been a popular book in Marvel comics, so I really don't know how they are going to tackle this. So the list for the next several years is:

-Eternals
-Black Panther 2
- Dr. Strange 2
-Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3
-Captain Marvel 2
-Ant-Man 3?

Am I missing something?
Old 04-26-19, 01:00 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
-Eternals
-Black Panther 2
- Dr. Strange 2
-Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3
-Captain Marvel 2
-Ant-Man 3?

Am I missing something?
Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Spidey 3

Captain Marvel 2 is very likely, obviously after the amount of money it made. Ant-Man 3... nothing has been said yet. But with how big his role was here, it would be likely.
Old 04-26-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Spidey 3

Captain Marvel 2 is very likely, obviously after the amount of money it made. Ant-Man 3... nothing has been said yet. But with how big his role was here, it would be likely.
Nobody from Marvel or Sony has discussed Spidey 3, as far as I'm aware. I think that the current deal for Marvel to use him expires after Far From Home, unless there is something else reported that I hadn't heard.
Old 04-26-19, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Nobody from Marvel or Sony has discussed Spidey 3, as far as I'm aware. The current deal for Marvel to use him expires after Far From Home.
True, but I'm going by Tom Holland saying he's making a trilogy. Pretty sure his contract is for 3 solo films. Would be ridiculous if there wasn't a third. I'm sure it's been discussed though not "official". None of the upcoming movies are "official" even though we know they are coming.
Old 04-26-19, 01:23 PM

True, but I'm going by Tom Holland saying he's making a trilogy. Would be ridiculous if there wasn't a third. I'm sure it's been discussed though not "official". None of the upcoming movies are "official" even though we know they are coming.
No, but many of them have scripts, directors who have been attached, and actors who have been cast. Spidey 3 doesn't have any of that, yet.
Old 04-26-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
So on the Blu-Ray release are we going to eventually get 14,000,604 director's cuts of the film?
Disney doesn’t do Director’s Cuts, but one thing I’m really looking forward to is a retrospective documentary on this franchise . It may be too early right now, but given the achievements of these films, it has to come out sooner or later. Fingers-crossed that all the dirt involving the likes of Ed Norton and Edgar Wright will make it in there. As well as plans/ideas that were considered but were never finalized. And Disney is capable revealing behind-the-scenes drama. All you have to do is watch Waking Sleeping Beauty.
Old 04-26-19, 01:28 PM

No, but many of them have scripts, directors who have been attached, and actors who have been cast. Spidey 3 doesn't have any of that, yet.
I'm well aware. But in response to the list from that poster... neither does a hypothetical Ant-Man 3 or Captain Marvel 2. A third Spider-Man is all but guaranteed, more-so than AM3 or CM2.
Old 04-26-19, 01:31 PM

I'm well aware. But in response to the list from that poster... neither does Ant-Man 3 or Captain Marvel 2. A third Spider-Man is all but guaranteed, more-so than AM3 or CM2.
Gotcha, I totally missed that he included those (even though they're in your text that I quoted, my bad). So this is the slate that we know is in the pipline, plus speculation on what is likely in the future. Carry on then.
Old 04-26-19, 01:33 PM

Gotcha, I totally missed that he included those (even though they're in your text that I quoted, my bad). So this is the slate that we know is in the pipline, plus speculation on what is likely in the future. Carry on then.
Also, about your previous comment. The lastest, based on profile article about Amy Pascal in Dec 2018, seems to be:

By February 2015, it was finally official: Marvel and Sony had brokered a complicated joint-custody deal that would use the Avengers to launch Tom Holland’s younger, more earnest take on Parker in three M.C.U. films. Holland would also star in a trilogy of films co-produced by Marvel Studios and Sony, with Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark dropping by to give the new franchise a star-powered boost. The deal was a smashing success; Holland swiftly became the emotional core of the decade-in-the-making Avengers: Infinity War, and Sony used the success of Holland’s debut to make further plans.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...iew?verso=true
Old 04-26-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I just got back from my 7am showing. It was awesome. It was Return of the King all over again, especially the final act. The only thing I found annoying and I'm thinking they cut corners on it, was fat Thor's fat suit. That was awful looking. I did like that they kept him fat for the whole film, he just formed a new outfit at the end and had an almost wrestler look to him wielding both weapons at the same time. I nearly pissed myself when Captain America busted out that trademark Thor move and gave Thanos a "quickening." That was badass.

I'm seeing it tonight in DC, so I am still excited.

The "no ma'am" brigade is going hate the A-Force.

The Hulk was jarring at first and it sucked that he did not get to smash anymore.

The interlinking threads from all the other MCU films was a nice touch.
Old 04-26-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Was this spoiled for anyone else? I feel sorry for the people that really care and can't watch it right away. I avoided all spoilers as much as I could. I didn't even watch any of the trailers, avoided any theories, created a separate thread for rewatching the MCU movies. And it was STILL spoiled for me. Some asshat in a youtube comment, all caps, under a video that had nothing to do with the MCU. I stopped reading it at "Black Widow and Iron Man dies" but he went on to spoil the whole movie. It was far enough advanced of the release that I didn't take much stock in it but once they reached Vormir and indeed Black Widow did die I knew it was right and Iron Man would die. Also someone in a Disney facebook group containing 278k members just spoiled it as well. People are just assholes.

I think Disney did a piss poor job in keeping a lid on this movie. Why in the world would they release it in China first?! And lift the review embargo early. Seems like they did a better job with the first IW.
I was off of social media since last week. Even when I caught glimpses or saw thumbnails of bullshit, I'd navigate somewhere else. I'm surprised it didn't get spoiled for me like
Spoiler:
Han Solo getting killed
did in Force Awakens.
Old 04-26-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This is peak mainstream action adventure fare. To me, the past 20 years brought us the MCU and Lord of the Rings. Avatar may end up the same. But this was the most anticipated and satisfying movie experience in a long time.
Old 04-26-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I was off of social media since last week. Even when I caught glimpses or saw thumbnails of bullshit, I'd navigate somewhere else. I'm surprised it didn't get spoiled for me like
Spoiler:
Han Solo getting killed
did in Force Awakens.
Word at my local theater, someone spoiled the Force Awakens as he came out of the theater, into people waiting for the next showing. So there was security ushering us away from the lobby as we were leaving our showing of Endgame, cause that guy was there
Old 04-26-19, 03:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Anyone else notice the kid from Iron Man 3 at the funeral scene?
Thanks for clearing that up. I was going nuts trying to figure out who that was, even though I'm currently rewatching IM3 and paused it midway to go see EndGame.
Old 04-26-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black Panther coming through the portal got a lot of cheers from my audience as well. Usually I don't like people shouting out, but somebody shouted "YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS! YOU SEE THE WALK!" and I lost it.

I love how well Boseman fills in the character of Black Panther. He, like Evans to Cap, really imbues that character with the quality that makes you understand why people would follow him to the end of the earth on his word alone. When he tells Spidey to give the guantlet to him? I feel like that was a lowkey way of him asking for the MCU itself. Or maybe I'm reaching? Leave me alone and let me have my fun!

ETA: It's also depressing that Grandpa Rodgers could still easily pull more numbers than me at the mall. Dude was a silver fox!
Old 04-26-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The Hail Hydra scene in the elevator was brilliant ....
My favorite scene of all the movie. Only somebody like ... could pull that off acting cool.
Old 04-26-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I take it to mean that since Shuri went out with the snap before finishing the cloned soul stone, she can now go back and restore it thereby bringing Vision back.

5 years later and Ned is still in high school?

I didn't need to see the final scene with Steve and Peggy. It was already implied when he saw her at the base while he and Tony stealing the Tessaract and the Pym juice. I would rather have it open that there could be Agent Carter/Cap adventures to be filmed.

Wanda and Carol can both go toe to toe against Thanos, but Thor, Cap and IM have to team up?
Thor was a little, out of practice ....

Captain really stole the show at the end, and you can tell the Russos are beholden to that character.

Old 04-26-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wonder if that scene was inspired by the comic or not. I feel like it has to be, and it has to be fucking bananas to be Millar, Bendis, Brubaker, Kelly Sue, Abnett and Lanning, Hitch, Starlin, or any of the other comic creators from the recent or distant past who's ideas have been mined to make these movies. It's so wild to me that so many of the ideas in these movies from comics are so new. Captain Marvel was only revamped in the last, what 5 years?
Old 04-26-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toonview
Thanks for clearing that up. I was going nuts trying to figure out who that was, even though I'm currently rewatching IM3 and paused it midway to go see EndGame.
I have to watch it again but I thought the camera spent a lot more time on him than anyone else, not to mention he was the only one alone except for Fury. Maybe I was just too fixated trying to figure out who it was though. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes Iron Man Jr.

Old 04-26-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught it this morning . Sold out at 11:30 AM and seemed to be sold out for the rest of the day unless one wanted to sit on the front row. I have to say, I felt that as far as superhero action goes, Infinity War was the better movie. However, as far as overall story and finding a way to work in a lot of MCU characters in a satisfying manner goes, this one was definitely better. There's truly only one real major action sequence and it's at the very end, and it's well worth the wait. I also think it's crap that these actors can't get at least a nomination out of these movies. Downey, Johannsen, and Renner all gave performances worth a nod IMO.

I have to give the Russo Brothers credit for knowing how to subvert expectations in a positive way, unlike Rian Johnson with another franchise. I always envisioned a large scene with all of the superheros introduced in this universe happening before the movie ended, and indeed it did. My expectations were that it would be a sweeping shot of them all kicking ass. However, that wasn't the approach that was taken, and the one they did was a much better approach that served the story and was actually more moving emotionally than a "geek out" moment would have probably proven.

I could get into more, but here is something that occurred to me after the fact:
-The three Avengers that are truly dead at the end are the first three we were technically introduced to in the MCU: Stark, Romanoff, and Jarvis/Vision. I feel it makes sense in a way, and I loved the call back to cheeseburgers from the first movie (I mean Iron Man, I kind of see all of these as sequels to one another).

Finally, for the first time in a while , I am not psyched to see the next installment. I'm not saying that the new Spider-Man movie doesn't look like fun, but I feel this cinematic universe has reached its logical conclusion and anything more would be anti-climactic. That kind of attests to the movie's quality IMO.
Old 04-26-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

P.S. Loved Thorbowski ...and I think the beard and hair will serve Hemsworth well in future endeavors ....brother
Old 04-26-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
P.S. Loved Thorbowski ...and I think the beard and hair will serve Hemsworth well in future endeavors ....brother
I do wonder if Thor was written into the GOTG 3 script. With no 'upcoming' Avengers movies, so many other other rumored projects, and Hemsworth seeming very keen to stay in the role, GOTG would be a great fit for him.

Also let's not forget, Loki very well may have changed the entire timeline when he heisted the Tesseract, again.
Old 04-26-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel like I missed something. Where was Gamora at the end of the movie?
Old 04-26-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I feel like I missed something. Where was Gamora at the end of the movie?
there was a scene at end where Quill is shown hunting for Gamora on a computer screen. Pretty clearly setting up GOTG3 to include a ‘search for Gamora’ arc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.