Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Why not just make it easy and have Superma....uh...Captain Marvel fly around the Earth so fast she spins it backwards?
duh, global warming. It would be too hot for her to spin the earth like that now.

Old 05-15-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by movieguru
Was there a reason why Scott Lang didn't age or have time pass for the five years that he was in the Quantum Realm but Janet Pym aged 25-30 years and time passed the same while she was there? Don't know if I missed something in the explanation about time travel that Lang gave in Avengers: End Game.
My interpretation is that time in QR is all "random" so it could be faster/slower which is the reason why they needed Tony to figure out a device to navigate time through QR.
Old 05-15-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Why not just make it easy and have Superma....uh...Captain Marvel fly around the Earth so fast she spins it backwards?
That movie was really good other than the whole flying around the Earth resolution. That never quite made sense either. So you fly around the Earth really fast in reverse and time moves backwards. But he still never stopped the second missile from going off. So once he stopped reversing time, the missile would still go off again. Unless he went and stopped the second missile off screen; but you would think the director's would have thought to add that scene so the resolution would have made more sense.
Old 05-15-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

That movie was really good other than the whole flying around the Earth resolution. That never quite made sense either. So you fly around the Earth really fast in reverse and time moves backwards. But he still never stopped the second missile from going off. So once he stopped reversing time, the missile would still go off again. Unless he went and stopped the second missile off screen; but you would think the director's would have thought to add that scene so the resolution would have made more sense.
Wasn't that supposed to be the resolution to the second movie? IIRC Donner's original plan was for the missile to go off into space and free the Phantom Zone criminals, but they didn't know if the sequel would be made so they changed the first movie to have the second movie's ending (in the Donner cut, Superman again reverses time to undo the damage the Kryptonians did).
Old 05-15-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wasn't that supposed to be the resolution to the second movie? IIRC Donner's original plan was for the missile to go off into space and free the Phantom Zone criminals, but they didn't know if the sequel would be made so they changed the first movie to have the second movie's ending (in the Donner cut, Superman again reverses time to undo the damage the Kryptonians did).
I don't think I've ever seen the director's cut of either of the two movies but was always curious how much the differed from what was on screen. No Superman movie has ever been able to recapture the magic of the two and doubtful any future movies will ever come close, despite a few silly plot resolutions they both had.
Old 05-17-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

seems to be a glitch in the matirx....
Old 05-17-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Image may be NSFW
Spoiler:
Old 05-17-19, 04:21 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

That pic was edited.
Old 05-17-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
That pic was edited.
but, but, but I found it on the internet! She is lovely none the less.
Old 05-17-19, 04:36 PM

This is the actual pic:

Spoiler:

Old 05-17-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I don't really understand the reason for the edit. That pic works too.
Old 05-17-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen the director's cut of either of the two movies but was always curious how much the differed from what was on screen. No Superman movie has ever been able to recapture the magic of the two and doubtful any future movies will ever come close, despite a few silly plot resolutions they both had.
If you watch the Donner cut of Superman 2 after watching the first Superman it seems awful redundant since Supes uses the same “turn back time by spinning the Earth backward” maneuver for both movies.

As much as I like the original 2 Superman movies, I think that plot point is just lazy writing no matter which movie it’s in.
Old 05-17-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It might have been said. Did they ever address that the snap saved all life from eventual extinction? The Avengers really fucked over the future of all life in the galaxy.
Old 05-20-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I finally saw this movie. I wasn't sure if it could top Infinity War but it came pretty close.

The Good
  • Nebula was easily my favorite character in the movie, and I loved the beginning with her and Tony playing paper football. She never won before, yet this exercise in passing time meant so much to her.
  • Robert Downey Jr was totally believable when he got emotional and angry at Cap. A great scene.
  • Seeing Tony with a family...awesome.
  • Fat Thor. Chris Hemsworth brought the comedy and the sadness. Probably the best acting in the film. His interaction with his mother was especially good, as was the performance by Renee Russo.
  • Intelligent Hulk Mark Ruffalo is the friendliest, all around good guy Avenger. He didn't even want to let Ant-Man's feelings get hurt.
  • I always thought Captain America and Chris Evans were white-bread boring. But he was pretty good here, and I see why he's perfect for the part. He's like Marvel's Christopher Reeve. Also, the Hail Hydra part was nice. It was a nice wink to the controversial Captain America: Agent of Hydra storyline, but it also worked without it, considering what Cap knew after the events of The Winter Soldier movie.
  • I like the homage to Back to Future II. I'm getting a little tired of nerd culture humor being so prevalent in everything but it worked well here. I almost thought Thor was going to hand his mother an envelope when he told Rocket, "Wait..." before leaving to the future.
  • Scarlet Witch going against Thanos looked very cool. She has a lot of power potential for future Marvel movies. She did a lot of damage in the comics in the House of M storyline.
  • The final ending with Steve and Peggy dancing to the old-timey music was great. It felt a little cliche the way it was presented, but it was the perfect way to end the film, and the first Avenger's story.
  • Can't wait to see Asgardians of the Galaxy 3! I hope they keep Thor fat.
The Bad
  • Brie Larson has no personality when playing Captain Marvel.
  • Seeing Hawkeye in action as a Punisher wannabe was like watching something out of an PS4 game. It was also weird how he made sure to perfectly style his hair spiky with product when going on a mission to save half the population of the universe.
  • The scene where Scott sees something in the sky and then suddenly he gets blow up, and the entire building gets blown to shit...damn! What a death. They're not pulling any punches with this film. But no, everyone in the building survives.
  • So Captain Marvel can just fly through these ginormous, heavily armored space battle ships, but she has to trade punches with Thanos? Why can't she just plow through him too? Her powers seem poorly defined. Does she even have a Kryptonite?
  • Even Captain Marvel can't defeat Thanos one-on-one, so how can Steve Rogers survive against, even with a vibranium shield? Shouldn't he at least have a shattered jaw, broken leg, something?
  • I didn't like Cap wielding Mjolnir. I know it was done in the comics at one point, but it felt too fan service-y. Thor, Vision, now Cap can wield the hammer. Makes Thor feel less and less special.
  • I don't like these big CGI battles where none of the main characters get seriously injured or killed, and there's no serious injuries depicted at all. Their meaningless and predictable.
  • It was odd that Bucky and Cap didn't have a better farewell scene.
  • I didn't like the Falcon taking over as Cap in the comics, mostly just because of how the costume looked. Anthony Mackie is likable as Sam Wilson, but no way can I see him being Captain America.
  • Hulk and Thanos must be pretty powerful that when they wield the Infinity Gauntlet they only get their right arms shriveled up and crispy. So if a regular human like Tony wields it, shouldn't he be a crispy, smoking corpse? His actual death on-screen didn't illicit any emotion from me. Pepper is pretty desensitized too.
  • I didn't even notice the "girl power" scene. If anything I thought it was weird that Spider-man thought Captain Marvel couldn't handle the oncoming army after she just wrecked all of Thanos' air fleet. I can see why some people felt it was a little too on-the-nose though, in a non-sexist way.
  • They couldn't bring back Black Widow, but there was a way to bring back Gamora. Even if she's lost now, wouldn't that have messed up the time line?
  • It seemed a little selfish that Cap stayed in the past. Wasn't there a whole lot of talk about putting the Infinity stones back exactly where and when they took them, so time wouldn't create a divergent reality? Cap staying in the past, Gamora being in the future, all that would mess up the timeline.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-21-19 at 02:35 AM. Reason: thanks Decker
Old 05-21-19, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I finally saw this movie. I wasn't sure if it could top Infinity War but it came pretty close.

I always thought Captain America and Chris Pine were white-bread boring. But he was pretty good here, and I see why he's perfect for the part. He's like Marvel's Christopher Reeve. Also, the Hail Hydra part was nice. It was a nice wink to the controversial Captain America: Agent of Hydra storyline, but it also worked without it, considering what Cap knew after the events of The Winter Soldier movie.
Chris Evans. Pine is the only Chris not in this movie.
Old 06-11-19, 10:34 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by story
As for the "girl power" moment, I liked it and think it could've been executed in a more organic way. I think it would've been cool if not all but several of the women were there and ran to cover Captain Marvel. Then, from around the battlefield, the other women on the battlefield see what's happening and rush to join in, making the group bigger and bigger. Eventually, they all meet up and are an unstoppable wall of girl power. Truly, there are tons of great women superheroes in these movies and seeing them all together was really great. But even in a movie about space wizard necklaces, it's weird they all happened to be right there. Still, I liked the moment, my kids will like the moment, and I'm sure my wife will tell me she loved it when she gets back from seeing it tonight.
I took our 7-year-old girl to it today and she really liked it. This was her favorite part. When Scarlett Witch says Captain Marvel isn't alone, she yelled out, "GIRL Style!" Then, as all the women came together, she chuckled, smiled, and looked at me, saying, "Oh, my gosh! That's a lot of girls! That's a lot of girls!"

I still stand by my version as better and I still agree with the AV article and my kid got exactly what she was supposed to get out of it, so it 100% works for me now. Boom.

P.S. She also screamed with delight when Cap had Mjolnir. Loved that.
Old 06-19-19, 08:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Mas footage coming out - when they re-release it next week.

https://www.cnet.com/news/avengers-e...h-new-footage/
Old 06-19-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E Unit
Mas footage coming out - when they re-release it next week.

https://www.cnet.com/news/avengers-e...h-new-footage/

I wonder if this might result in a double feature at the local drive in with Captain marvel? I suspect it will more likely be with Spidermans new flick though...
Old 06-19-19, 09:39 AM

Feige says:

"Not an extended cut, but there will be a version going into theaters with a bit of a marketing push with a few new things at the end of the movie. If you stay and watch the movie, after the credits, there’ll be a deleted scene, a little tribute, and a few surprises. Which will be next weekend."
Old 06-19-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'm good. It comes out on BD in August, so hopefully that footage will be included on the home video release.
Old 06-19-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

The "We Want to Beat Avatar's Worldwide Record" edition.

To be fair, Avatar itself generated an additional $33.2 million from an extended edition theatrical release.
Old 06-20-19, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I know someone who’s seen this movie 13 times, and the last time he went was because his AC went out in his apartment. I guess he’ll be watching it a 14th time in theaters just to see the bonus materials haha
Old 06-20-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm good. It comes out on BD in August, so hopefully that footage will be included on the home video release.
Why would they do that when they can release ANOTHER version around Christmas?
Old 06-20-19, 07:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And have Deadpool narrate it.
Old 06-20-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I know someone who’s seen this movie 13 times, and the last time he went was because his AC went out in his apartment. I guess he’ll be watching it a 14th time in theaters just to see the bonus materials haha
Armature...
A Marvel superfan is trying to make a Guinness World Record his own by watching "Avengers: Endgame" in theaters 200 times.

In order to meet his goal before the film leaves theaters, Agustin Alanis has made a schedule to keep himself on track.

“On weekdays I'm going twice a day,” Alanis told InsideEdition.com. “Saturday and Sunday, the most that I can watch is five.”
https://www.insideedition.com/marvel...00-times-53748

I've seen it twice in theaters and am tempted to see it a third time for the extra footage as I have a vacation coming up. Not sure if the wife would be down for a second viewing though...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.