Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Menu (2022, D: Mylod) S: Taylor-Joy, Fiennes, Hoult, McTeer, Leguizamo, Chau, Light

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Menu (2022, D: Mylod) S: Taylor-Joy, Fiennes, Hoult, McTeer, Leguizamo, Chau, Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-22, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: The Menu (2022, D: Mylod) S: Taylor-Joy, Fiennes, Hoult, McTeer, Leguizamo, Chau, Light

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Although for a movie, none of the customers came across as awful people. The movie actually has you rooting for them..
Quite honestly, I wasn't rooting for
Spoiler:
Tyler or the tech executives
Old 11-20-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: The Menu (2022, D: Mylod) S: Taylor-Joy, Fiennes, Hoult, McTeer, Leguizamo, Chau, Light

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I also quite enjoyed this. It's a bit of slow burn for the first half, but the witty satire of the vacuous upper class diners, the anticipation of something sinister about to be revealed, and the spot-on performances by Fiennes, Taylor-Joy, Chau and Hoult made this a consistently compelling watch. Oh yeah, and the food looked yummy, especially the burger. I want one of those. NOW!

My one major gripe with the storyline was:

Spoiler:
Once the diners knew they were going to die, they didn't put up much of a fight and were a little too accepting of their fates. Considering they had nothing to lose, it seemed like they could have banded together and put up a decent struggle against the restaurant staff. Also, letting the men run away so that they could be hunted down, rounded up and then brought back, felt like a pointless plot twist that didn't really go anywhere. And the law enforcement guy showing up and nobody speaking out for help (until Legu wrote him the "Help Us" note) seemed a bit ridiculous. Taylor-Joy's character for sure would have said something.

The ending gave me Midsommar vibes and also recalled Knives Out (the lowly service worker ended up outwitting all the rich snobs).

Not only did you and I wonder the same thing, so did Slowik/Fiennes . Caught this today and the more I reflect and read, the more I realize it was a really good movie. It leaves the viewer thinking when they leave, and that's a good thing.

Spoiler:
I am guessing what doomed Felicity (the woman with Leguizamo) was when she admitted she went to Brown courtesy of her rich relatives or not on her own? She seemed more like an innocent bystander than any of the rest of them.

Old 11-20-22, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Just came back from seeing it. Amazing experience in the theater. Loved the concept, cast and cleverness.

HUGE jump surprise in the gunshot scene. Yikes!!
Old 11-21-22, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw this Friday night and thought it was great. Very entertaining and I enjoyed the interactions with all the dinner guests and Fiennes.

I did not expect the grand finale with the:

Spoiler:

Mass murder suicide with the smores covered guests.

I thought it was clever, dark and sarcastic and a good take on combining the horror genre with the foodie scene. I recommend this for anyone looking for something different. But, I know a movie like this is a hard sell these days and isn't on most of your radars.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Dr. DVD (11-21-22), JayDerek (12-06-22)
Old 11-21-22, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I am curious as to how
Spoiler:
Slowik got the entire kitchen staff to agree to the suicide, but having seen how some chefs are deified by their followers, may not be too hard to believe.
Old 11-21-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I am curious as to how
Spoiler:
Slowik got the entire kitchen staff to agree to the suicide, but having seen how some chefs are deified by their followers, may not be too hard to believe.
As I recall, that wasn't even his idea, it was the one lady chef who came up with it.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (11-21-22)
Old 11-21-22, 11:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

^ true.
Spoiler:
Slowik just loved the idea so much. This was actually one aspect that took me some time to process once it was revealed because going into the movie, I was sure that killing the rich guests was something they did every night (or at least once in awhile), but of course, in retrospect, that's absurd since that kind of news would have caught on. Instead, what's happening was that this was obviously the final night, and there were no murder/suicides in previous nights of the restaurant's history.

Now... I'd like a bite of that cheeseburger please.

Old 11-22-22, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts

I saw this last night with my daughter and loved it. Anya-Taylor Joy and Ralph Fiennes were fantastic, and I thought the screen writers did a great job blending horror, comedy, and social commentary on class. The food cracked me up. I haven't had too much of that kind of food, but a little. My daughter and I went out to drinks and dessert once, and the apple crisp we ordered to share came as two tiny square inch cubes with ombre layers of apple gel, with the bottom being darkest and the top lightest. The "crisp" was some fried noodles on the side. Worst. Apple.Crisp. Ever!!

Edit: Haha--remembered some of it wrong, but my daughter is here for Thanksgiving and had a picture. This is two servings and the squares are about an inch. Spoilerized for size:
Spoiler:

Last edited by tasha99; 11-22-22 at 11:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tasha99:
Crocker Jarmen (11-22-22), Dan (11-22-22)
Old 11-24-22, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Thought it was ok, but requires a LOT of suspension of disbelief. Certainly wasn't over the moon about it like most seem to be.
It was obviously inspired by Midsommar and had a very similar vibe.
Why So Blu? (01-04-23)
Old 12-20-22, 09:25 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This will be on HBO Max starting January 3rd.
OldBoy (01-03-23)
Old 12-20-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Cool.
Old 01-03-23, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

this movie was bonkers. I really appreciated the tone of the movie, it has menace but never tries to be heavy or overly milk any scenes for suspense. Even the knife fight came out of nowhere.

Props to all involved for having something that's actually unique. But yes, a large suspension of belief is necessary.

Spoiler:
it basically had fucking Ratatouille's ending until the s'mores showed up

Last edited by RichC2; 01-03-23 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

It's on HBO Max now
miller_time22 (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 06:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

What an utterly captivating, intriguing, marvel of a film.

I had no idea of the plot or anything, just that there were horror elements.

From the beginning it seemed like a Knives Out tale.

This was just marvelous. Everything about it absolutely clicked.

I won’t spoil anything here, but this is a must see! So much better to go in cold, I think.

Fiennes and Taylor-Joy played so well off each other. It was something to behold.

I think this takes my top spot of the year. Just ahead of Top Gun: Maverick.

Last edited by OldBoy; 01-04-23 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 06:43 PM

I hope this doesn’t get overlooked come Oscar time. This could be up for so much. Even, dare I say, Best Picture. Or is that too much of a reach? Not sure if this was adapted but screenplay has got to be nominated. And Fiennes, at least should. Would be nice if Taylor-Joy got nod too.
Old 01-04-23, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I hope this doesn’t get overlooked come Oscar time. This could be up for so much. Even, dare I say, Best Picture. Or is that too much of a reach? Not sure if this was adapted but screenplay has got to be nominated. And Fiennes, at least should. Would be nice if Taylor-Joy got nod too.
Fiennes and Taylor-Joy got Golden Globe noms for it, while that means little (and it was in Comedy), at least their names are out there for it.
OldBoy (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 07:09 PM

This should be drama. Hope Oscar realizes that. I mean it’s dark dark humor at best. But, I never took it as a comedy. Clever, witty, satirical, yes. Comedy…no.
Old 01-04-23, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Good lord, what an overpraise.
I thought it was okay. Really nothing special. Zero surprises (unless you consider the lack of cannibalism as a surprise). Was less fun than I expected, while still being mean-spirited. I did like Ralph Finnes, he was great. But the whole was pretty uninspiring to me. Felt really derivative and was very low-hanging fruit for a satire.
Old 01-04-23, 07:19 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It‘s a satirical black comedy.
IBJoel (01-09-23)
Old 01-04-23, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. It was very much a black comedy. At least that's how it played for me

One of the co-writers (Seth Reiss) works on Seth Meyers as a writing supervisor and got a random shout out/promo during the Day drinking with Lizzo bit which was nice of them to do. (She thought it was Paul Rudd with his mask on)

Last edited by RichC2; 01-04-23 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Good lord, what an overpraise.
I thought it was okay. Really nothing special. Zero surprises (unless you consider the lack of cannibalism as a surprise). Was less fun than I expected, while still being mean-spirited. I did like Ralph Finnes, he was great. But the whole was pretty uninspiring to me. Felt really derivative and was very low-hanging fruit for a satire.
sure call me out, when many posted great praise as well.
Old 01-04-23, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

sure call me out, when many posted great praise as well.
Other people enjoyed it. That's great.
Nobody else is doing the Gene Shalit SNL bit : *Look Who's Talking... Oscar! ".
Old 01-04-23, 08:17 PM

Well, you got me, bc I don’t even know what the hell you’re talking about.
Old 01-04-23, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Other people enjoyed it. That's great.
Nobody else is doing the Gene Shalit SNL bit : *Look Who's Talking... Oscar! ".
and so sorry my immense like for this movie perturbed you even the slightest. Never happen again. Promise. I’ll just keep my opinions to myself, bc after all that’s what we all do in this forum.🤷🏼‍♀️
Old 01-04-23, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just watched it tonight HBO MAX and it was fun. As someone above mentioned, you really have to suspend disbelief. These were some of the most passive characters on fucking Earth. Maybe they needed some poor people as customers, because we would've started some shit, not just sit there "calm as Hindu cows."

On a production level - the design work was great and some of those dishes looked cool, but I'm really glad I've never paid good money for these types of "experiences" in real life. Save that shit for the tourists.

Even though I did like the film enough, I would say out of the recent gastronomy themed films, Pig is still a much better film, IMO. In fact, The Menu and Pig would make for a great double-feature. Shit, throw in Sideways as a digestif.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 01-05-23 at 10:22 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.