Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Old 07-05-19, 11:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I really enjoyed this. I thought it was touching and fun, and the music was great, of course. I loved all of the scenes with Ed Sheeran.
Old 07-06-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I was surprised they used I Saw Her Standing There. An adult man singing about a 17 year old girl would probably go over like a lead balloon these days. Not an indictment of the song, but it's definitely of it's time. Certainly there were plenty of other songs to pick from.

As for the movie, it would be difficult to make a bad film featuring a lot of Beatles songs and starring Lily James. Still, a movie featuring a lot of Beatles songs and starring Lily James should be a great film, and this one isn't.
Old 07-09-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this Friday night by myself in a mostly empty theater and loved it. You really regain your appreciation for Beatles’ music as the movie goes on. Ended up staying thru the credits just to listen to Hey Jude played at that volume. I liked that it really happened in the movie’s universe didn’t end up being all in his head while he was ina coma. I liked that there wasn’t an overtly fantastical element to the whole event. It’s just something that happened in the world. The bits where he keeps on discovering stuff that doesn’t exist anymore was a good running joke. I almost wished I lived in it until the end when they revealed one other thing that wasn’t there anymore. I wish there was more explanation why there were only 2 people—that we’re shown at least—that remember the Beatles, but their conversation with him in the holding room after the concert was played out.

The “cameo” towards the end surprised me. I thought it was going to be the other one but I liked what they did with it. I probably would have had the same reaction. Lily James was great and almost steals the show.
Old 07-09-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it opening day and enjoyed it. It really didn't go anywhere outside of what I expected but it was still enjoyable. I did like the ending a lot. The music lives on.

Did not care for McKinnon in this. WAY too far over the top.

Side note - I could stare at Lily James all day.

I've heard each Beatles song hundreds and hundreds of times but hearing them here with just Patel on a guitar or piano made me appreciate the lyrics even more. Those boys knew what they were doing.
Old 08-19-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this over the weekend. Everyone in the theater gasped when
Spoiler:
the main character visited John Lennon and he was alive and well.
I'll admit I got emotional when that scene happened. The ending was just ok and predictable. Worth a watch, especially if you're a Beatles fan.
Old 09-11-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that this movie has hit "home video", I watched it last night with my wife. I don't really care for the Beatles and their music, but my mother-in-law loves them and so my wife grew up with it playing in the house.

I really liked the movie... quite a lot in fact.

Except for Kate McKinnon, she ruined every scene she was in. EVER. SINGLE. SCENE. (Note: I don't like her on SNL either.)

Old 09-11-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked it a lot, also. I also like how it made you think about what else was missing; especially with a couple of billion dollar products that are so commonplace. Health insurance comes to mind, also.
Old 09-11-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it in a second-run theater a couple weeks ago and generally liked it, though the general concept and personal relationships made for some awkward and uncomfortable moments. I like Richard Curtis, the Beatles, and Lily James, so it was kind of a no-brainer to see, and I liked the different takes on the music. A friend said she hated Ed Sheeran in it, but I thought he was funny.
Old 09-15-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this earlier today.

Very sweet film. Well cast. Always great to hear The Beatles.
Old 09-15-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
. I don't really care for the Beatles and their music, b)

Old 09-15-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed this movie well enough (you're not gonna go too far wrong with that great music) but the premise was too fucking outrageous for me to "suspend my disbelief."

Spoiler:
We're supposed to believe that a woman who looks like Lily James was gonna carry a torch for this dude for a decade, AND that he NEVER was attracted to her!?!?!?!?