Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021, D: Taylor Sheridan) S: Angelina Jolie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021, D: Taylor Sheridan) S: Angelina Jolie

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021, D: Taylor Sheridan) S: Angelina Jolie

I had watched this last night and it's exactly what I thought it would be, fine but forgettable.
Old 05-17-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Again, thank you HBO Max for making this "free to me"... because had I spent even $5 on a rental, I'd be pissed. This movie - while providing some intense scenes - was so nonsensical that it hurt my brain to try and figure out why all this was happening. I guess I missed it, but did we ever figure out why two elite agents were murdering top officials? And didn't the main "bad guy" actually not get caught? I guess we are to assume he did or there will be a sequel where the fires are even more dangerous? What crap 1/5.
Old 05-17-21, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
One question...how the fuck did the killers get ahead of the father (Jake Weber) and son?
You need to imply a lot in order for this movie to make sense... like why didn't they kill John Berenthal's character? He survives a face to face beating and begging them to kill him... only to be shot by a random spray from 300 feet away and die anyhow.
Old 05-17-21, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
You need to imply a lot in order for this movie to make sense... like why didn't they kill John Berenthal's character?
I thought they needed his tracking skills to find the boy.
Old 05-17-21, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I thought they needed his tracking skills to find the boy.
It also gave them a slight bit of leverage if his wife were to return since she escaped. And the main assassin did say he wasn't quite right dealing with the pain of not just being burned, but he got hit by a car, too.
Old 05-17-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Again, thank you HBO Max for making this "free to me"... because had I spent even $5 on a rental, I'd be pissed. This movie - while providing some intense scenes - was so nonsensical that it hurt my brain to try and figure out why all this was happening. I guess I missed it, but did we ever figure out why two elite agents were murdering top officials? And didn't the main "bad guy" actually not get caught? I guess we are to assume he did or there will be a sequel where the fires are even more dangerous? What crap 1/5.
Yeah, that was a pretty big loose end. They seemed to imply that as soon as the kid took the story to the media that he would be safe but since Nicholas Hoult and Littlefinger appeared to just be hired hitmen in a much larger organization, my first thought at the end was, “So, tomorrow they’ll just send two new guys out to kill the kid?”

The big bad guy sounded like it was just a corporation who was stealing money. I don’t think any one person was behind the whole thing.
Old 05-17-21, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess I missed it, but did we ever figure out why two elite agents were murdering top officials? And didn't the main "bad guy" actually not get caught?
I just took that as a MacGuffin there to drive the characters along.

As for my take on the film, it was watchable but kind of dopey overall. I dug the Cliffhanger-esque vibes, though I guess I should just go watch Cliffhanger again.

Old 05-22-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I just finished this as well. It was decent. I'd probably give it a B. Had some decent action and suspense sequences. Although I felt like the main conflict was a little underwritten without much resolution.

I admit, I haven't really liked Angelina Jolie's recent output, but I thought this was one of her better recent films.

Looks like this movie is a huge box office loss for WB. I have to assume with HBO Max being an option, this wasn't the type of movie that screamed seeing it in a theatre.

I think if this got a traditional release, it still would have been a box office disappointment. I think this would have made no more than $20-30M tops. Jolie just doesn't have the kind of star power to pull in big box office for a non big IP movie.
Old 05-22-21, 05:12 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

So basically like what had been happening pre-pandemic with all of WB’s other adult oriented fare.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (05-22-21)
Old 05-24-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Watched this over the weekend. Wow that was some bad fire CGI
Old 05-24-21, 12:15 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I think I enjoyed this movie. It felt a little short/edited down. The survivalist wife was great, but not sure why the Bernthal character needed to be an ex-boyfriend of Jolie. And did they give his condition at the end of the movie? And what happened to the kid?

Not sure we needed to see the dream sequence / memories multiple times either. We get the point that Jolie's in bad shape after the first time.

But I love having first run movies available to stream.
Old 05-24-21, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Watched this over the weekend. Wow that was some bad fire CGI
The behind the scenes feature on HBO Max said the forest being burned down was practical. They created their own forest and burned it down.

I'm sure there were some of it was enhanced by CG.
Old 05-24-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
The survivalist wife was great, but not sure why the Bernthal character needed to be an ex-boyfriend of Jolie. And did they give his condition at the end of the movie
Spoiler:
He died. When the firefighter was calling for med evac. Bernthal’s wife told him that it wasn’t a rush because there was nothing they could do for him. I think they showed a quick shot of him sitting there, supposedly dead.
Old 05-26-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, that was a pretty big loose end. They seemed to imply that as soon as the kid took the story to the media that he would be safe but since Nicholas Hoult and Littlefinger appeared to just be hired hitmen in a much larger organization, my first thought at the end was, “So, tomorrow they’ll just send two new guys out to kill the kid?”

The big bad guy sounded like it was just a corporation who was stealing money. I don’t think any one person was behind the whole thing.
I assumed the upper parts of government were involved considering Tyler Perry’s plates were government issue.
Old 05-28-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Was alright. I saw one critic call it a "90's style" action movie, and that seems very fitting. You'll be entertained, but forget about it shortly after.
Old 06-07-21, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

Watched it tonight before it leaves. Thought it was not bad. Nothing memorable but at least watchable.
Thought it was a little bit weird that a movie about fire fighters decided to Yada Yada the putting out of a forest fire, as the blaze goes from a raging inferno to smoldering ash in a single scene cut.

More than anything though, I HATE the title. Somehow it manages to hit the holy trinity of bad movie title attributes - - too wordy, instantly forgettable and completely irrelevant to the movie. After watching it, not only do I not know who the title is referring to (Littlefinger & Beast, Tyler Perry, unseen mobsters, the fire?), I don't even know who the "Me" in the title is (Jolie or the kid).
The English language has literally hundreds of metaphors involving fire, the writers and the marketing teams couldn't think of one of them?
Old 06-07-21, 07:19 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It's the same title as the book the film is based on. I like the title and it seems pretty straight forward to me.
Old 06-09-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The lightning element seemed like an unnecessary addition and scared the absolute hell out of my dog

This was more an ensemble movie than I expected. Not great but not bad.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-09-21 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

This movie was laughably bad...but in an entertaining way. I mean, so many stupid people doing stupid things. My favorite though is when the Nicholas Hoult character is going after Angelina Jolie, who is hiding behind a tree...so this brainiac (who has a gun versus Jolie, who is holding an axe) approaches the tree at close range and THEN moves around it, not realizing he can actually circle the tree from a safe distance.
RichC2 (06-11-21)
Old 06-09-21, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Everything about that ending showdown was new levels of dumb
Shannon Nutt (06-10-21)