Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021, D: Taylor Sheridan) S: Angelina Jolie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-28-19, 06:20 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Angelina Jolie is poised to star in Those Who Wish Me Dead, a drama that Taylor Sheridan wrote and will direct late this spring.

BRON Studios and Film Rites are set to produce and Creative Wealth Media will finance the rugged thriller helmed by Sheridan, who made his directorial debut on the celebrated Wind River, and whose scripts include Hell or High Water, Sicario and the sequel Sicario: Day of the Soldado. Sheridan has adapted the script from the Michael Koryta bestselling novel.

Oscar-winner Jolie is finalizing a deal to star. Sheridan’s script is described as a hard-boiled chase thriller set against a wildfire in the Montana wilderness and uses the novel as a jumping-off point.

The plan is to shoot in May, after Sheridan completes the second season of his Kevin Costner-starrer series Yellowstone, which Sheridan exec produces, writes and directs. There is no studio yet, but this is a hot property that will land quickly.

Garrett Basch and Steve Zaillian and BRON Studios’ Aaron L. Gilbert (The Mule, Tully, Fences, Leave No Trace) will produce. Creative Wealth Media’s Jason Cloth (Tully, Fences, A Simple Favor) is executive producer.

Jolie, who most recently wrapped Maleficent 2, is repped by UTA; Sheridan is CAA and Elevate Entertainment.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/angelin...os-1202543892/
Old 01-29-19, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021, D: Taylor Sheridan) S: Angelina Jolie

Looking at the thread title I thought it was going to be Jim Sheridan, and while I love Jim Sheridan, this is even better news. Sicario, Hell or High Water and Wind River were all excellent. Will watch anything he does at this point.
Old 01-29-19, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Looking at the thread title I thought it was going to be Jim Sheridan, and while I love Jim Sheridan, this is even better news. Sicario, Hell or High Water and Wind River were all excellent. Will watch anything he does at this point.
You're right. I changed to get more eyes.

Off topic... What a weird career path for Jim. A great trilogy of films with DDL, The Field, and In America. Then... Get Rich or Die Tryin'...
Old 01-29-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I just worry that Sheridan is spreading himself a little too thin.
Old 01-29-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
You're right. I changed to get more eyes.

Off topic... What a weird career path for Jim. A great trilogy of films with DDL, The Field, and In America. Then... Get Rich or Die Tryin'...
Yeah, his first 5 films were quite honestly amazing. I own all 5. Then things just sort of fell apart. It's like he said everything he had to say, and then just became a director for hire.
Old 04-29-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Nicholas Hoult Joins Angelina Jolie in Taylor Sheridan's 'Those Who Wish Me Dead'
11:44 AM PDT 4/29/2019 by Mia Galuppo

Nicholas Hoult will join Angelina Jolie in Wind River filmmaker Taylor Sheridan's next feature, Those Who Wish Me Dead.

The thriller is based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Michael Koryta, which centers on a teen in a witness protection program hiding out from a pair of killers in a wilderness skills program while a fire engulfs Montana. Sheridan, who penned the script for Hell or High Water (2016), will adapt the book for the screen.

Garrett Basch and Steve Zaillian of Film Rites and Bron Studios’ Aaron L. Gilbert are producing. Creative Wealth Media arranged financing, with Jason Cloth executive producing.

Hoult was last in theaters with The Favourite. He will next be seen in the J.R.R. Tolkien biopic Tolkien, and will reprise his role as Beast in X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

Hoult is repped by UTA, the U.K.'s 42 and Felker Toczek.
Old 02-02-21, 12:36 PM

Warner Bros. has announced that “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” a neo-Western film starring Angelina Jolie, has set its release date for May 14.

As part of Warner Bros.’ 2021 lineup, the film will debut both in theaters and on HBO Max.

Based on Michael Koryta’s 2014 novel of the same name, the film is described as a female-driven Western set amidst a wildfire raging in the Montana wilderness. When a teenager witnesses a murder, he finds himself being pursued by twin assassins in the Montana wilderness. Though there is a survival expert tasked with protecting him, the forest fire threatens to destroy them all.

Taylor Sheridan is directing from his own screenplay, previously adapted by Charles Leavitt and Koryta. Sheridan earned an Oscar nomination for his screenplay for 2016’s “Hell or High Water.”

Koryta’s novel follows a 14-year-old boy who witnesses a brutal murder, is issued a false identity and hidden in a wilderness skills program for troubled teens while the killers are slaughtering anyone who gets in their way in a methodical quest to reach him.

The film stars Jolie, Nicholas Hoult, Tyler Perry, Jon Bernthal, Aidan Gillen, Medina Senghore, Finn Little, Jake Weber, James Jordan and Tory Kittles.

It was announced in May 2019 that New Line Cinema and Creative Wealth Media would be co-financing the film, with Warner Bros. handling worldwide marketing and distribution.

The film is being produced by Film Rites and Bron Studios. Sheridan is also producing with Garrett Basch, Steven Zaillian, and Bron Studios’ Aaron L. Gilbert and Kevin Turen. Jason Cloth of Creative Wealth Media, Kathryn Dean and Michael Friedman are executive producers.
Old 04-06-21, 02:24 PM

Re: Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021, D: Taylor Sheridan) S: Angelina Jolie

Trailer tomorrow.

Old 04-07-21, 10:00 AM

From New Line Cinema comes the thriller “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” starring Angelina Jolie and directed by Taylor Sheridan.

Oscar winner Jolie (“Girl, Interrupted,” the “Maleficent” films) stars as Hannah, a smoke jumper still reeling from the loss of three lives she failed to save from a fire when she comes across a traumatized 12-year-old boy with nowhere else to turn.

The film also stars Nicholas Hoult (the “X-Men” films), Finn Little (“Reckoning”), Aiden Gillen (“Game of Thrones,” “Peaky Blinders”), Medina Senghore (“Happy!”), Tyler Perry (“Vice,” “Gone Girl”), Jake Weber (“Midway,” “Homeland”), and Jon Bernthal (“Ford v Ferrari,” “Wind River”).

Oscar nominee Sheridan (“Hell or High Water,” “Wind River”) directed from a screenplay by Michael Koryta and Charles Leavitt and Sheridan, based on the book by Koryta. Steven Zaillian, Garrett Basch, Aaron L. Gilbert, Kevin Turen and Sheridan produced, with Steven Thibault, Ashley Levinson, Andria Spring, Jason Cloth, Richard McConnell, Kathryn Dean, Michael Friedman, Daria Cercek and Celia Khong executive producing.

The director’s behind-the-scenes creative team included his “Wind River” director of photography Ben Richardson, production designer Neil Spisak and costume designer Kari Perkins, and his “Yellowstone” editor Chad Galster and composer Brian Tyler.

New Line Cinema presents a BRON Studios/FILMRIGHTS Production, in Association with Creative Wealth Media, a Film by Taylor Sheridan, “Those Who Wish Me Dead.” It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures. The film is set for release in the U.S. in theaters and on HBO Max on May 14, 2021 and will be available on HBO Max for 31 days from release.

“Those Who Wish Me Dead” is rated R for strong violence, and language throughout.
Old 04-07-21, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Looks good and since it appears to be premiering on HBOmax so I’ll defined watch it.

That said, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to buy plastic, stick figure, Jolie in that role. I guess she was mostly convincing in Salt but accepting her as a tough wildland firefighter is a bit of a stretch.
Old 04-07-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

It's Taylor Sheridan, so it will be good.
Old 04-07-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 806 Likes on 595 Posts

I've watched and loved every movie that Sheridan has written. I need to watch Yellowstone.
Old 04-10-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Could be good. Though story feels like something out of the 90s. But will watch on HBO Max.
Old 04-10-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Could be good. Though story feels like something out of the 90s. But will watch on HBO Max.
I thought the trailer had a very Cliffhanger feel to it.
Old 04-10-21, 08:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

That looked fucking great. Like an old school type of Cliffhanger-ish movie of the late 80’s, early 90’s (as mentioned above).

Love the HBO Max first day digital stream at no extra charge deal. I may not go to movies in next year or more and I’d be totally fine, this works out so well. I can’t even think of a movie I would rather rather seen in theater as opposed to wait for stream. None really jumped out at me that I would go pay. But, I’ve certainly enjoyed the ones I have streamed bc of new and 1st day premieres. I hate it has to be like the way it is because of what’s going on certainly, but not paying. the $10-$12, for ticket then who know what for other essentials. It’s just been a pleasure is what it’s been, is what it’s been.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-12-21)
Old 04-10-21, 09:28 PM

And Jolie kicks ass in any role. From Changeling, which is drama, but she does such great actioners, I think. Wanted, I love. Salt, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, of course she was Lara Croft. Only saw bits of the two. I really liked Taking Lives and The Bone Collector too. Of course, her Oscar for Girl, Interrupted which would garner more appeal if it wasn’t for the fact that it truly is a female One Flew Over... She just good despite her somewhat different, higher than life (yes, I’m sure doing good), but she seems to flaunt it, ethereal ways.
Old 04-11-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

I've seen this movie before maybe 100 times already... just with a different actor and setting.
Old 04-12-21, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

Sign me up. Looks good. Great stunt work/fire effects.
Old 04-12-21, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

That tower she's in high above the forest reminds of the towers in Fallout 76. There's a couple of areas in that game that have some of those. I got flashbacks.

/offtopic
Old 04-12-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

The establishing shots of the towers made me think this was a Firewatch adaptation

It is not.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichC2:
funkyryno (05-21-21), IBJoel (04-12-21)
Old 04-28-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I saw the trailer tonight...and if it wasn't for Sheridan's involvement, I'd probably skip it. Looks like a generic action flick that has been made countless times. But I'll give Sheridan the benefit of the doubt and hope this is much better than the trailer indicates
Old 05-13-21, 01:57 PM

Out tomorrow.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/those_who_wish_me_dead
Old 05-13-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'll watch this one on HBO Max this weekend.
Old 05-13-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'll watch this one on HBO Max this weekend.
Yup. Not worth a trip to the theater, but for "free" at home, sure I will check it out.
Old 05-13-21, 07:15 PM

i'm looking forward to this. always liked Jolie on camera and her action, drama stuff is pretty good. Wanted was fucking awesome. Salt not bad. this looks great.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.