Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tenet (2020, D: Christopher Nolan) Washington, Pattinson, Debicki

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tenet (2020, D: Christopher Nolan) Washington, Pattinson, Debicki

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Tenet (2020, D: Christopher Nolan) Washington, Pattinson, Debicki

Yeah totally forgot about that one.
Old 09-02-20, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Took a lady friend to see this tonight. Only two people in the theatre.

I was never bored, so for the first time I can remember, I both expected and hoped for the movie to go on longer. I expected the movie
Spoiler:
to go back to the opening opera scene. I was surprised it ended when it did.

However, I not sure if I understood even 50% of the movie. I don't mean to brag, but I feel like I'm an intelligent person. I pay attention when I watch movies/TV shows. I read big brainy novels. I appreciate and can understand complicated storytelling, but I think this movie needed to be "dumbed down" a little. If I couldn't follow things, I can't imagine how most of my friends will follow this movie.

Spoiler:
There's so many things I plumb didn't understand that seriously hurt whatever effectiveness Nolan was going for. Like I don't know what that countdown during the final battle was about, so there was no suspense. Likewise, the girl told us at the beginning of the movie about seeing a "strange woman" diving off the boat, so we knew the plan to kill her husband obviously succeeded, again no suspense. At the risk of revealing myself as a moron, I could go on and on about things that flew over my head. But I don't think the fault lies with me.

Michael Caine looks like he's just about out of gas. Was cool to see Fiona Dourif in it.
Old 09-02-20, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

I saw this last night and while absolutely 100% worth seeing for fans or just about anyone who misses the movies (although if you dislike Nolan, this won't change your mind), I was unfortunately underwhelmed. It's big and ambitious (and LOUD) and the central conceit is an interesting one, but I found the first half kind of dull. When things pick up in the second half my brain was working so hard to follow what I was seeing on screen that it felt like work. I didn't have the energy to be impressed by what I was seeing because I was so exhausted trying to make sense of it. It's weird though, I followed the broad strokes of the story just fine. That info-graphic posted above makes total sense to me and confirmed that I was able to follow the plotting without any problems. It was the little details, as well as the action on screen, that was tough to follow. Watching the big climax I knew what I was seeing in a big picture sense, and I knew exactly what Nolan was doing, but my brain just couldn't process the action. I definitely need to see it again and I hope knowing its secrets will help unlock some of the stuff I missed. But again, I followed the twists and turns just fine. In fact some of the twists were pretty obvious once you knew what the movie was up to, so who knows what a re-watch will bring. On its surface I didn't think the story was all that interesting, so I'm not sure how much there is to unlock beyond the specifics of the action. I will add that my buddy, who's not a particularly sophisticated movie viewer, said after the show something to the effect of "It's been a long time since I watched a movie where I had no clue what was happening the entire time." So take that for what it's worth. Right now its probably my least favorite Nolan since DKR, but I can't make a definitive call on that until I see it again.

A note on the sound/dialog: My presentation was pretty high quality, but the music/effects are LOUD and I absolutely can see a scenario where the dialog is completely lost on the viewer. Think every other Nolan movie in the last decade. I caught most of it, but there were some tough spots, especially when characters were wearing masks or on a phone or something. It certainly doesn't help when you're already struggling to keep up in spots. I know this is a Nolan thing, but in this case I'm not sure the payoff was worth it. Again, we'll see what happens on re-watch.
Old 09-02-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Our local Alamo Drafthouse put on a drive-in for this. Probably not ideal viewing conditions, but a fun experience and I enjoyed the movie.

Old 09-02-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Weird this talk about his movies always having this audio mix problem. I honestly never noticed. I'll watch Dunkirk tomorrow and listen closer.
Old 09-02-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Weird this talk about his movies always having this audio mix problem. I honestly never noticed. I'll watch Dunkirk tomorrow and listen closer.
My experience is that at home the mixes are usually ok, but then it's more of a controlled environment. If you have a quality theater that cares about presentation, it shouldn't be a problem there either. However, the music/effects are so incredibly loud that I can imagine certain theaters not having the levels cranked up where they need to be to hear the dialog. Or if their speakers aren't up to snuff, you just get a lot of distortion. I had huge problems with DKR in the theater. If I recall, Nolan even had to rerecord Bane's dialog late in production to make him understandable after preview screenings had trouble.
Old 09-02-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Yeah, maybe I got lucky at the theater. I always go to a decent theater. Plus my hearing has always been very good. Not sure if that factors in, though.

Maybe this is why a certain member doesn't like his movies. He just, literally, understand them
Old 09-03-20, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Looks like a theater about 20+ minutes from has re-opened to show Tenet.

Thinking about going tomorrow.
Old 09-05-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Questions for @E Unit or anyone else who's seen this movie:
Spoiler:
1. Didn't Neil or Ives say at some point that going through the time stile has some sort of irreversible effect? I was pretty sure one of them said something along those lines but, of course, it was just part of the dialogue I struggled to make out.

2. Where were the enemy soldiers in the final battle? I saw the red and blue pincer teams and Sator's bodyguard, but no other enemy forces. I know I wasn't the only one confused by this because I read on another forum that someone thought the red team was fighting the blue team.

3. Neil somehow dies behind the gate, right? I'm assuming that's just something that happens after he leaves with Ives and is not shown in the movie.

Spoiler:
1. I believe so. I keep thinking of Neil saying "What's happened happened" as well as Kat being put through the turnstile after being shot with an inverted bullet and having a scar to show for it.

2. They were there but for whatever reason not many were shown. There was a dead enemy soldier when The Protagonist rounds a corner to the scene where the building explodes & puts itself back together. Before that happens, enemy soldiers are shown at the base of the building if I remember correctly.

3. Yup, that is Neil behind the gate. There is a quick moment in that finale where (I assume Neil died while inverted), springs backs to life right when The Protagonist is being shot at. It makes sense he was able to get behind the gate, as he's mentioned a few times as being great at picking locks.