Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
I smell a box office bomb.
Wow you are foolish. Do you think they should have replaced Indiana Jones with a different actor because Harrison Ford is too "old"? Do you think that would have made anywhere near the amount of money that Kingdom of Crystal Skull did?

Apparently you don't realize how popular this franchise still is. If they brought back the original cast, and the movie was at the very least decent (but hopefully awesome), it would make at least 300 million. A new cast would ruin it and I don't want to see that happen.
Old 09-30-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
"Grumpy Old Ghostbusters"
Old 09-30-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Wow you are foolish. Do you think they should have replaced Indiana Jones with a different actor because Harrison Ford is too "old"?
I don't agree with Ronnie, but that's just a bad example. Ddo you honestly think Murray, Ramis, Hudson & Ackroyd have the same box office appeal as Harrison Ford?
Old 09-30-08, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Wow you are foolish. Do you think they should have replaced Indiana Jones with a different actor because Harrison Ford is too "old"? Do you think that would have made anywhere near the amount of money that Kingdom of Crystal Skull did?
Thanks for validating my point. Harrison Ford couldn't be replaced but Spielberg did need to add a younger actor to appeal to a younger demographic. :cough: Shia LeBeouf :cough: and what about the news that he's the one thats supposed to continue the franchise?

So thanks.
Old 09-30-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Match
How good would GB3 be if Edgar Wright directed this and have Simon Pegg and Nick Frost star in it.
Truth.

Simon Pegg, Paul Rudd, Jay Baruchel, Jason Segal, some combination thereof could maybe possibly almost work. And hell bring back Ernie Hudson as is. That he's the last original Ghostbuster still hanging onto his job is kind of funny in its own right. Good things could be done with this. But they won't. Whatever happens will suck because it'll try to appeal to a younger crowd (possible) while still trying to convince the old folks its a worthy Ghostbusters movie that stays true to the feel of the original (impossible). It'll get caught somewhere in between and confound everyone. That Apatow has some influence, I think, is encouraging because he plays by his own rules anyway. At the very least you need this kind of filmmaker attached to the project to keep studio micromanaging to a minimum. Likewise for the aforementioned Edgar Wright. Judd just has to realize that his entire crew doesn't have a role here. His wife would be an awesome Annie Potts-type secretary though.
Old 09-30-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't agree with Ronnie, but that's just a bad example. Ddo you honestly think Murray, Ramis, Hudson & Ackroyd have the same box office appeal as Harrison Ford?
Individually, no (with the exception of Murray, because if he made a new mainstream comedy (i.e. not wes anderson), it could be huge). As "Ghostbusters", HELL YES, do you seriously doubt that?
Old 09-30-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Thanks for validating my point. Harrison Ford couldn't be replaced but Spielberg did need to add a younger actor to appeal to a younger demographic. :cough: Shia LeBeouf :cough: and what about the news that he's the one thats supposed to continue the franchise?

So thanks.
I'm not saying they can't bring someone in to appeal to a younger generation (perhaps someone to fill in Moranis's shoes since he most likely won't return), but the original 4 Ghostbusters should NOT be changed, and you thinking that would be a flop is idiotic.
Old 09-30-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They need to make two versions of this movie simultaneously so we can put this "original vs. hip-and-young" controversy to bed once and for all!
Old 09-30-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do Ghostbusters in UK and have everyone with funny accents.
Old 09-30-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
But tonight he said that he knew "some writers from THE OFFICE" were taking a stab at the script right now (which we already knew) and that he thinks that's a good start. He paused for a few seconds then said that he thinks enough time has passed and that "the wounds from GHOSTBUSTERS 2 are healed" and that he would definitely be into doing another GHOSTBUSTERS movie, stating that the first 40 minutes of the original film is some of the best stuff he's been associated with and the whole shoot was an amazing amount of fun.

He also went on to say that his enthusiasm for Ghostbusters was heightened after recording the voice of Peter Venkman for the video game over the summer. In fact, he said he found himself walking down the street singing the Ghostbusters theme song and then thought people walking around him were going to start yelling at him to "get over yourself, Bill," so he stopped... But the enthusiasm was there.
from Bill Murray's speech after City of Ember's debut at Fantastic Fest.

heh
Old 03-01-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ghostbusters 3 - starring Ben Stiller

There's been lots of GB3 happenings lately - mainly Aykroyd confirming that the GB3 script is in the final stages of completion, but this was announced today:
Judd Apatow's name has been attached the rumors about Ghostbusters 3 since they first began, with all reports saying he would be the producer for the film written by The Office writers Lee Eisenberg and Greg Stupnitsky. Now the production has gotten so close to actually happening that Production Weekly is listing it-- and wouldn't you know, Apatow Productions is right there in charge.

Sure, it's not huge news-- we could probably have assumed from the first rumor that Apatow would be involved, given that he's the reigning demi-god of comedy. But the inclusion in Production Weekly means the whole thing is actually happening, beyond just Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray getting asked awkward questions about the project's status. No actor names are attached to the Production Weekly piece, but at this point, it seems like only a matter of time before the gentlemen prepare to suit up a third time.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Apato...s-3-12185.html

I think the thread title needs to be changed.
Old 03-02-09, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet Mother. I'm there opening day.
Old 03-02-09, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this makes complete sense considering harold ramis' relationship with apatow productions.
Old 03-02-09, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Darknite39
Sweet Mother. I'm there opening day.
Amen.
Old 03-02-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So the new cast of Ghostbusters will be Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Sean William Scott and Craig Robinson as Winston. With Elizabeth Banks in the Sigourney Weaver part and maybe they could have Michael Cera get chased by demon dogs.
Old 03-02-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You say that like it's a bad thing. It would definitely be the highest grossing Ghostbuster movie.
Old 03-02-09, 07:25 PM

Ben Stiller can be a good addition to the movie... BUT it really is a bit risky depending if he can really play the role, some movies he impressed me, other movies made me dislike him. So this really goes on a scale to see whether the pros are more abundant or cons are.
Old 03-02-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apatow is involved now?

This just shot to "must-see."
Old 03-02-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Craig Robinson has to be in it
Old 03-03-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Rudd, Robinson, Baruchel, and someone else, is what I'd like. A big part of the comedy of Ghostbusters is how low-key it is, so I'd rather not see Ben Stiller or Seth Rogen or any of the major names involved here.

EDIT: No Baruchel. Nick Frost FTW.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 03-03-09 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting...
Old 03-03-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Rudd, Robinson, Baruchel, and someone else, is what I'd like. A big part of the comedy of Ghostbusters is how low-key it is, so I'd rather not see Ben Stiller or Seth Rogen or any of the major names involved here.

EDIT: No Baruchel. Nick Frost FTW.
Rudd is just as mainstream as Rogen is now.

They're a good combo. I'd love i t.
Old 03-03-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
As long as we're jumping the shark, you know they are going to mix things up a bit and add a female Ghostbuster, and with this crew you have to have Elizabeth Banks in there.

Personally out of the entire Apatow crew I can only see Rudd & Baruchel in this. Maybe Segal. Rudd has the Venkman schtick down while Baruchel could give off a mean Egon vibe. That leaves Segal in the Ray/Akroyd role, solid screen presence but can be very awkward.
Old 03-03-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Seth Rogan please. Pleaseeee.
I want a mix of new and old cast.
Old 03-03-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They need to get Jack Black and Mos Def

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.