Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters 3

"It's being written right now"? I thought it HAD been written long ago and they couldn't get either the studio or Murray onboard? I never thought it was a script issue, I always thought it was a "getting the greenlight" issue?
Old 11-15-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Is he just really passionate about Ghostbusters, or does he jus want the $$$ that comes from another movie?
I can't imagine why, after Ramis being dead, and they're all old, that he would still want to push for another movie.
I think Ghostbusters is just close to his heart and has little to do with money. It's probably his favorite role and the ideas he's had rolling around in his head for decades is just gnawing at him.

It is a shame he could never get 3 off the ground back in the day.

Instead of beating the same drum and trying to get 3 greenlit all over again, he should go a different route. Hit up Netflix, Amazon or Hulu for a 10 episode series or something. That would really give them a way to open up the universe. With something like that he could work in all the crazy ideas that have been floating around for years.
Old 11-15-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh not this shit again...
Old 11-16-18, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
"It's being written right now"? I thought it HAD been written long ago and they couldn't get either the studio or Murray onboard? I never thought it was a script issue, I always thought it was a "getting the greenlight" issue?
Maybe with Ramis out of the equation, Murray might come back to the fold. They had some kind of falling out over Groundhog Day and weren’t speaking to each other.

Though I think the sell-by date on GBIII passed twenty years ago.
Old 11-16-18, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Just stop. No one really wants a movie with 70 year old Ghostbusters.
If we absolutely need GB3 then do it with new actors.
Old 11-16-18, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

All this talk about a part 3, and I still haven’t seen part 2. Is it any good?
Old 11-16-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Old and new cast please. Just for the awesome thread that it will become!!
Old 11-16-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

Old and new cast please. Just for the awesome thread that it will become!!
Old 11-16-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Though I think the sell-by date on GBIII passed twenty years ago.
Yeah at least. Had a third film happened maybe even ten years ago I think they could have gotten away with it just barely. At this point though it feels like nothing more than one final grasp at forcing it to happen. The cast members that are still around are too old in my opinion and obviously Ramis is no longer with us. The only way I see this working maybe, and it’s a big maybe after the 2016 film is if the original team is training a new team. I feel like that’s not what most people want though and obviously the last film was rejected pretty badly so not sure that’s a good route to take.

They missed the boat on a third film by not doing it a lot earlier, which is unfortunate as I’d have liked to have seen it. I feel like it’ll just be sad if it happens.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-16-18 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah at least. Had a third film happened maybe even ten years ago I think they could have gotten away with it just barely. At this point though it feels like nothing more than one final grasp at forcing it to happen. The cast members that are still around are too old in my opinion and obviously Ramis is no longer with us. The only way I see this working maybe, and it’s a big maybe after the 2016 film is if the original team is training a new team. I feel like that’s not what most people want though and obviously the last film was rejected pretty badly so not sure that’s a good route to take.

They missed the boat on a third film by not doing it a lot earlier, which is unfortunate as I’d have liked to have seen it. I feel like it’ll just be sad if it happens.
The thing is the original Ghostbusters was like catching lightning in a bottle.
Arguably the star of the film, Bill Murray only agreed to do the first one if the studio would finance a film he was making, Razor's Edge.
And I read that he only did the second one because he was wanted to get back into movies and needed a guaranteed hit.

The second one was not nearly as good as the first because it was this big monied property now, so the studio wanted to play it safe. Can't have the Ghostbusters smoking cigarettes because kids watch the cartoons and buy the toys.
Don't want to risk it being a flop by doing something different, so lets just repeat the same beats the first one had, which is why we had the dumb statue of liberty scene.

I love the movie, and it had the potential to be a very good trilogy at the time, but the odds were against it from the start.
Old 11-16-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-16-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think Ghostbusters is just close to his heart and has little to do with money. It's probably his favorite role and the ideas he's had rolling around in his head for decades is just gnawing at him.

It is a shame he could never get 3 off the ground back in the day.

Instead of beating the same drum and trying to get 3 greenlit all over again, he should go a different route. Hit up Netflix, Amazon or Hulu for a 10 episode series or something. That would really give them a way to open up the universe. With something like that he could work in all the crazy ideas that have been floating around for years.
I am ... surprisingly in favor of this. Except for ...

Originally Posted by Gunde
Just stop. No one really wants a movie with 70 year old Ghostbusters.
If we absolutely need GB3 then do it with new actors.
... ^that. I agree wholeheartedly. (Where the hell have you been when I've had this argument with every other franchise?!)

In this case, I would be OK with a passing-of-the-torch story that is focused on the NEW squad. I do NOT want to see a reunion where they strap on the proton packs (and can't fit in the shoulder straps).
Old 11-16-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Combine both casts and replace Egon with his son who will be played by Pete Davidson.
Old 11-17-18, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

All these years and not once had it crossed my mind that Ghostbusters 2 would have been a better movie if only Ray and Winston smoked. Who knew?
Old 11-17-18, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

They should bring Leslie Jones back from the remake to take Harold Ramis's place. Actually maybe they could recast her in the role of Egon Spengler.
Old 11-17-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
All this talk about a part 3, and I still haven’t seen part 2. Is it any good?
It's OK.

It's nowhere near as funny as the first, but it's a decent, mildly amusing supernatural adventure story. Definitely a step down from the first in terms of quality.
Old 11-17-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They kind of boxed themselves in with the first film though, which might explain why GB2 recycled the plot from GB1.
We find out that the only reason they're in business is because the end of days is happening, with the dead rising. They end up preventing it, but presumably that would mean that their business would take a considerable hit, because hauntings would be pretty uncommon outside of the last days/Judgment Day.

I mean, I'm sure they could of found a more creative work around, story-wise, but it does explain why the sequel was so different from how we saw the team in the animated series.
Old 01-15-19, 07:18 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Jason Reitman to direct new Ghostbusters movie

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full-trance mediums, the Loch Ness Monster and the theory of Atlantis?

If so, good news — there’s a new Ghostbusters movie in the works.

Entertainment Weekly has learned exclusively that Jason Reitman will direct and co-write an upcoming film set in the world that was saved decades previously by the proton pack-wearing working stiffs in the original 1984 movie, which was directed by his father, Ivan Reitman.

“I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

Sony Pictures has dated the film for Summer 2020, with plans to start shooting in a few months.

It’s still too soon to reveal the plot of the screenplay, who the new characters will be, or whether the original actors like Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, or Bill Murray will return. Harold Ramis died in 2014.

“This is very early, and I want the film to unwrap like a present. We have a lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet,” says Reitman, who co-wrote the screenplay with Monster House and Poltergeist remake filmmaker Gil Kenan.

The all-female Ghostbusters movie that director Paul Feig made in 2016 with Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Kristen Wiig, and Melissa McCarthy started its story from scratch, unconnected to the earlier films, so it won’t have ties to this new one. “I have so much respect for what Paul created with those brilliant actresses, and would love to see more stories from them. However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film,” Reitman says.

Reitman, an Oscar-nominee for Up in the Air and Juno, released two films last year — the Charlize Theron motherhood story Tully and the Hugh Jackman political drama The Front Runner.

He grew up idolizing his dad’s big-budget comedies like Stripes, Twins, and Dave, and says he was just as obsessed with Ghostbustersas any other ‘80s kid.

“I love everything about it. The iconography. The music. The tone,” Reitman says. “I remember being on set and seeing them try out the card catalog gag for the first time when the library ghost makes them come flying out. I remember the day they killed Stay Puft and I brought home a hardened piece of foam that just sat on a shelf for years. I was scared there was a terror dog underneath my bed before people knew what a terror dog was.”

Jason, his mother, and sister played panicked residents fleeing the “Spook Central” haunted skyscraper in the first film, but they were ultimately cut. (Here’s a shot of 6-year-old Jason posing with his father on the fractured Manhattan street they constructed.)
Courtesy of Reitman Family

A few years later, the boy did get a laugh line in the 1989 sequel, playing a birthday boy who was unimpressed by the Ghostbusters: “My dad says you guys are full of crap.”

When he began making his own movies, starting with 2005’s Thank You for Smoking, Reitman was often asked in interviews if he’d ever want to make his own Ghostbusters movie.

“I think I said, ‘There’d be no busting,’” he recalls with a laugh.

The truth is, he often wondered about making one, too: “I’ve thought about this franchise and it has occupied a piece of my heart for basically as long as I can remember.”

His father will produce the movie. “It will be a passing of the torch both inside and out,” says Ivan, adding that he’s touched his son wanted to join this part of the family business. “It was a decision he had to come to himself. He worked really hard to be independent and developed a wonderful career on his own. So I was quite surprised when he came to me with Gil and said, ‘I know I’ve been saying for 10 years I’m the last person who should make a Ghostbusters movie, but…I have this idea.’ Literally, I was crying by the end of it, it was so emotional and funny.”

Sony is also developing an animated Ghostbusters film, but that will come out after this new live-action project, and a different team will be involved in creating it.

“The Ghostbusters universe is big enough to hold a lot of different stories,” Jason says.
https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/15/new...jason-reitman/

This is what they should’ve done all along.

Last edited by dex14; 01-15-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Jason Reitman to direct new Ghostbusters movie

Originally Posted by dex14
https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/15/new...jason-reitman/

This is what they should’ve done all along.
Old 01-15-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Wow that is pretty cool actually.
Old 01-15-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Max Landis's Kentucky Fried Movie 2 can't be far off I used to spank it to one of the naked tiddy girls in the original. We're now Facebook friends. She's a grandmother now. Would still bang.
Old 01-15-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Awesome, I'm excited and I'll take it as an apology for Ghostbusters 2016.
Old 01-15-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Awesome, I'm excited and I'll take it as an apology for Ghostbusters 2016.
Wait - You didn't enjoy that one?
Old 01-15-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't wait for the studio and director to rally behind an all-male version! Just imagine, seeing men working in so many positions on a film set! Incredible.
Old 01-15-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Thank god now everyone can shut the fuck up about the perfectly fine 2016 version.

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Can't wait for the studio and director to rally behind an all-male version! Just imagine, seeing men working in so many positions on a film set! Incredible.
That would only be notable if it was notable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.