Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DC's Plastic Man Feature Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Alright, even as a DC fan, this is getting ridiculous...

Plastic Man Movie in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)

the comedic action-adventure film.
Classic DC Comics hero Plastic Man is getting the big-screen treatment.

Up-and-coming screenwriter Amanda Idoko has been hired to pen the script for what will be a comedic action-adventure for Warner Bros. Bob Shaye, the former co-founder of New Line-turned-producer will executive produce.

Plastic Man wasn’t initially a DC character, having been created by Jack Cole for Quality Comics in 1941. When Quality went under in 1956, DC bought many of the characters, Plastic Man among them.

The hero’s true identity is Patrick “Eel” O’Brian, a crook-turned-good guy. O’Brian was part of a gang and during a botched heist is shot and wouldn’t you know it, also doused with a chemical liquid. Left for dead by the gang, he awakens to find himself imbued with the power to shapeshift and stretch his body into almost anything thanks to being the most malleable man alive. O’Brian eventually reforms and becomes a police officer.

The character has a certain cult status amongst the comic crowd. He was a member of the Justice League for a time and even had his own cartoon series.

The project is in the early stages and has no filmmaker on board. Details of Idoko’s take were not revealed but her hiring caps a half-year search by the studio to find the right person the job. Warners is planning on staying true to the light-hearted and even silly tones of the character, say sources.

DC-based film production president Walter Hamada and Chantal Nong are overseeing for the studio.

Idoko was a staff writer on The Mayor, the short-lived ABC comedy about a hip-hop artist who wins a city election, and now seeing her first feature script move into production: Breaking News in Yuba County, to star Allison Janney and Laura Dern and directed by Tate Taylor, is scheduled to go before cameras in 2019.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r-bros-1167236
Old 12-07-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 778 Likes on 470 Posts
Re: DC's Plastic Man Feature Film

GOD FORBID that DC attempts to mount a "comedic action-adventure" MORE DARKNESS!
Old 12-07-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,744 Posts

What? Plas gets a DC film before Elongated Man does? No fair!
Old 12-07-18, 01:59 PM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Oooook...
Old 12-07-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,250 Posts

I was hoping Plaz would meet EM on The Flash for an hilarious ep. But I'll take this too!
Old 12-07-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Alright, even as a DC fan, this is getting ridiculous...
Really? Why? Both Marvel and DC could literally go for years tapping into their unused properties as opposed to yet another Batman or Spider-man film.
Old 12-07-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Really? Why? Both Marvel and DC could literally go for years tapping into their unused properties as opposed to yet another Batman or Spider-man film.
Not that, it's just one more in a long line of movies on their slate that probably will never get made. I just would like some sort of update on what project of theirs (albeit some only rumored) that are likely dead (i.e. Justice League Dark, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Leto Joker Movie, Joker/Harley Quinn, etc).

Now, I can see why Warner might be interested in this. It's not going to be a huge budget so not as much risk.
Old 12-07-18, 02:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Boy, I remember this gem during Saturday morning cartoons.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rTEXc8IppAk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 12-07-18 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not that, it's just one more in a long line of movies on their slate that probably will never get made. I just would like some sort of update on what project of theirs (albeit some only rumored) that are likely dead (i.e. Justice League Dark, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Leto Joker Movie, Joker/Harley Quinn, etc).

Now, I can see why Warner might be interested in this. It's not going to be a huge budget so not as much risk.
Ah, I see.
Old 12-07-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I used to enjoy the Plastic Man comics. About 15 years ago, I was thinking they should make a Plastic Man movie starring Bruce Campbell as Plastic Man and Jon Favreau as Woozy Winks. They're both too old now.
Old 12-08-18, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Someone posted this in a JSA group im in

Old 12-04-20, 06:21 PM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Black List writer Cat Vasko has been hired to work on the feature centered on DC Comics hero Plastic Man.

The project got underway two years ago when Amanda Idoko (The Mayor) had been hired to pen the script for what was meant to be a comedic action-adventure based on the hero created in 1940s.

Vasko’s hiring however is meant to take the project into a new direction entirely. Sources tell THR that the project, which is in the earliest stages of development, will now become a female-leading vehicle. It is unclear if that means a title change or not.

Plastic Man wasn’t initially a DC character, having been created by Jack Cole for Quality Comics in 1941. When Quality went under in 1956, DC bought many of the characters, Plastic Man among them

The hero’s true identity is Patrick “Eel” O’Brian, a crook turned good guy. O’Brian was part of a gang, and during a botched heist is shot and — wouldn’t you know it — also doused with a chemical liquid. Left for dead by the gang, he awakens to find himself imbued with the power to shape-shift and stretch his body into almost anything, thanks to being the most malleable man alive. O’Brian eventually reforms and becomes a police officer.

The character has a certain cult status amongst the comic crowd. He was a member of the Justice League for a time, and even had his own cartoon series.

DC-based film production president Walter Hamada and Chantal Nong are overseeing for the studio.

Vasko has made a name for herself writing strong female stories. She is known for adapting Queen of the Air, the story of trapeze artist Lillian Leitzel that also has Robbie attached to star, and reteamed with the actress for the adaptation of Gin Phillips' novel Fierce Kingdom. She also worked on an adaptation of Boom! comic Lumberjanes when it was set up at Fox (the project is now being developed as an animated series at HBO Max).

Most recently she set up an untitled fairy tale project at Disney+ with Olivia Cooke and LaKeith Stanfield attached to star that is said to turn the classic princess stories on their heads and offer up a modern take.

Vasko is repped by Grandview and Hansen Jacobson.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/cat-vasko-to-pen-female-starring-plastic-man-movie-exclusive
Old 12-04-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 614 Posts

I think I sent my old Wachowski's script and storyboards from the mid-90's pre-production of this film to some dense reptile...

Old 12-04-20, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember reading an old issue of Wizard Magazine from back then in the mid 1990s that Bruce Campbell was being picked for a Plastic Man/Elongated movie. back then I knew nothing about Plastic Man but i knew a little bit about Bruce Campbell because of Army of Darkness mostly at the time
Old 12-04-20, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

A female leading vehicle? Plastic Woman??

Old 12-05-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Oh DC. Just when people start to think you have your shit finally together, you destroy that notion. Tired of Hollywood doing the whole gender/race swap simply because they are too lazy to come up anything original.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (12-06-20)
Old 12-05-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,227 Likes on 955 Posts

Meh. Not a character I really care about anyways so it doesn’t really bother me.
Old 12-05-20, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 234 Posts

It should be an animated movie.
Old 12-07-20, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 262 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
A female leading vehicle? Plastic Woman??

Keep in mind that the recent version of "The Invisible Man" was a "female-leading vehicle"....