Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins (2021, D: Schwentke)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins (2021, D: Schwentke)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Re: Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins (2021, D: Schwentke)

Big budget theatrical movies need stars to make money. Unfortunately, this and "Old" don't have any major or known stars to sell to the public.

and like a few have said, it's probably didn't help that the GI Joe IP hasn't been relevant in years.

Old 07-25-21, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Again, let’s not discount how people really don’t seem to be champing at the bit to get back to the theater.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Alan Smithee (07-28-21), story (07-25-21)
Old 07-25-21, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Big budget theatrical movies need stars to make money. Unfortunately, this and "Old" don't have any major or known stars to sell to the public.

and like a few have said, it's probably didn't help that the GI Joe IP hasn't been relevant in years.
I have not seen Old, but read that M. Knight self-financed it for 18 million. No studio loss there and it will make money on top of that.
Old 07-26-21, 05:43 AM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Next step is to start putting the Joes into the Transformers movies.
Old 07-26-21, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That actually should have happened years ago. Duhamel could have been Duke and kicked off Joe.
Old 07-26-21, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
That actually should have happened years ago. Duhamel could have been Duke and kicked off Joe.
This was making news over the weekend. According to Di Bonventura: “You know, the truth of matter is, the studio has always been against that. Every regime that’s been at Paramount is against it because it’s taking two franchises and making them one, but I think it’s inevitable.”
Old 07-26-21, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts

I never really liked a cohesive universe, because it becomes really hard to separate. Say they started with Duke in a Transformers movie then tried to do a GI Joe movie, everyone would be wondering what happened to the Transformers and their technology? It's a cool elseworlds concept but not much else.

Now Joe and M.A.S.K., now you're talking.
Old 07-26-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 777 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by story
That's really unfortunate. I mean, box office receipts are down overall but still, that is pretty low. I will say this, it took a lot for me to decide to go back to the theater for this, but I am a huge G.I. Joe fan and I wanted to see this. But even I went back and forth on if I felt ready. There were many things to consider, and in the end I felt safe when I went.

Now I know.
And knowing is half the battle!
Old 07-26-21, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am a GI Joe fan, and I am glad Hasbro is finally trying to do things with the IP (new toy lines, allegedly new cartoon next year) but I had no desire to see this (at least in theaters).

I am probably in the minority that dislikes all the ninja stuff in GI Joe so it was an easy pass for me. I do think all the lack of house hold names is fair criticism for the movie I wish another studio had the rights to this as all the movies have been lackluster
Old 07-26-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Now Joe and M.A.S.K., now you're talking.
The connection is already canon, so why not?

Old 07-26-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The connection is already canon, so why not?
I have no idea why they never really went beyond that one Matt Trakker figure.
Old 07-26-21, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And here comes the write ups:

Why ‘Snake Eyes’ Missed Its Mark at the Box Office — and What It Means for the ‘G.I. Joe’ Franchise

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...es-1235026986/
Old 07-26-21, 08:18 PM

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I am a huge G.I. Joe fan and I wanted to see this.

Now I know.
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
And knowing is half the battle!
Yes, exactly! What's that from?
Old 07-28-21, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Home Release of Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins is expected to on September 6th, 2021
Old 07-28-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

I kind of hoped this would be a surprise and be good. The trailers looked solid. I’ll either wait for it to hit streaming or maybe blind buy it. I sort of like the other two G.I. Joe movies too even though I know they’re not that great so maybe I would still enjoy this too.
Old 07-28-21, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I kind of hoped this would be a surprise and be good. The trailers looked solid. I’ll either wait for it to hit streaming or maybe blind buy it. I sort of like the other two G.I. Joe movies too even though I know they’re not that great so maybe I would still enjoy this too.
It’s better than the first movie and just a step below Retaliation in my book.
Old 07-29-21, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm kind of surprised at how forgiving you guys are with shaky cam fights. I guess I've been spoiled by the Steadicam action in the John Wick movies and Nobody...as well as all those kung fu flicks from the '70s.

I went to go see this because I'm just enough of a G.I. Joe fan to be interested. I knew going in we weren't going to get the cartoon version of Snake Eyes, so his being maskless and speaking for the entire film didn't bother me. What I did take issue with is that he gains access to the Arashikage clan but spends all his time learning philosophy and discipline. When it comes time to show off some ninja skills, he simply does it. In fact, he does it so well he's able to outfox the Arashikage guards who are presumably actual trained ninjas.

So basically, Snake Eyes is already a ninjitsu expert before he sets foot on Arashikage grounds, and the film just plays that close to its chest, so we don't get any indication of his skills until he dons the ninja outfit. If I want to be generous, I would guess that the filmmakers wanted to leave his training in ninjitsu for a sequel. However, my gut tells me either those scenes were left on the cutting room floor or worse yet it's simply an oversight on the part of the writers who were focused on other things they wanted to cover.

I also thought there was some rather poor storytelling in the final half hour.
Spoiler:
During the car/bike chase, Akiko sees SE fight Kenta's men and automatically concludes 'He's fighting against our enemy so he's on our side...even after he stabbed us in the back by stealing our fiery rock.' This is not good writing.

I also wasn't crazy about the Arashikage being so forgiving towards SE because their blood is on his hands. He may not have killed any of the clan himself, but his handing the rock over to Kenta is the reason that most of the Arashikage are dead.

Then the movie compounds the problem by having the clan turn on Tommy for trying to use the rock. If I had been watching this movie at home, I would've yelled at the TV 'He wasn't the one who stole the rock and handed it over to your worst enemy. Cut him some slack and lay the blame where it belongs.' Sure, we needed to have SE become the hero by the end and Tommy turn into Storm Shadow, but the way the film does this is like someone playing Twister and forcing themselves into extremely unnatural contortions to touch the right spots.

This movie was two hours long, which means the filmmakers had plenty of time to set up the character turns and their split. Instead, it feels like it was something that the writers had forgotten about and realized at the last minute they needed to move the pieces to the right squares before the credits rolled and seriously rushed to do so.

This film wasn't terrible, but it was definitely disappointing. At least the screening I attended only had three people (myself included) so there were no issues with noise, people stepping over me, or my seeing some jackass's phone light up. Of course, theatrical exhibition would be in deep trouble if every show had an audience of three.
The following users liked this post:
stingermck (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
I'm kind of surprised at how forgiving you guys are with shaky cam fights. I guess I've been spoiled by the Steadicam action in the John Wick movies and Nobody...as well as all those kung fu flicks from the '70s.
I thought they looked bad.
Old 07-29-21, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the shaky came was horrible and unexpected after they bragged so much about how great the fight scenes were.
Old 08-11-21, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

I had $8 in Fandango Credit from buying one of the 4K BDs of the previous G.I. Joe films, so I went and saw this earlier today.

The film looks good but Henry Golding's performance as Snake Eyes was surprisingly flat & uncharismatic.

Also for a film about the origins of Snake Eyes, I found myself more interested in every scene that Andrew Koji (Tommy/Storm Shadow) was in, rather than the main character himself.

I appreciated the inclusion of Samara Weaving as Scarlett & Ursula Corbero as Baroness but there's not enough of either of them in the film to care much.

Iko Uwais was wasted in this film but I'm always happy to see him getting work outside Indonesia.

All the fight choreography is also wasted here because the shaky cam cinematography is absolutely obnoxious in this.

Originally Posted by dex14
If it was done in anyway like the Image/Devil's Due Comics, I would be definitely be up for that, mainly for how nutty it is.

Give me Serpentor Prime!

Old 08-16-21, 09:50 AM

This will be up on PVOD starting tomorrow.
Old 08-16-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_1

$35M worldwide. This was a massive bomb.
Old 08-17-21, 09:53 AM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_1

$35M worldwide. This was a massive bomb.
I didn't spend a dime on my ticket... my son paid for it.

It's not a bad film... just not inline with the actual story from the comic.

... now if it would have had a Brendan Fraser cameo... well, that would be a different story.
Old 08-22-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

Paid $20 VOD.

Very well done. A movie that’s very competent but didn’t really grab my emotions. It’s pretty easy for a movie to make me well up a little. This one got nothing.
Old 08-22-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Enjoyed this one too... Shame the G.I. Joe franchise never seems to really do well or at least don't really get talked about much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.