Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

I just got back from seeing it. I’d probably give it a B. I was entertained, but it wasn’t really scary. It was more creepy. I did like the tie-ins to the original movie and expanding the mythology. This isn’t a spoiler, but Vanessa Williams (Not the singer) is in this movie and plays the same character from the original. The makeup work was pretty good, Yahyah Abdul Mateen was a good lead in this.

There is a cameo at the end

Spoiler:

As mentioned Tony Todd is in it for about 5 seconds. It would not surprise me if that was added in later after a test screening.

Its about 90 minutes, so it’s a pretty short movie.
Old 08-27-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Kind of surprised with all of the Emmy nominations it landed that Lovecraft Country got canceled. My guess is it may have cost too much for the amount of viewers it had.

Back to the topic, I think I may give this a shot in theaters, but not opening weekend. I want to get as close to a private screening as possible.
Honestly I don’t think you need to freak out about crowds. This is a very niche horror movie and not the kind of movie that will draw lots of people. Just see a matinee during the week. I caught a 430pm matinee today and there was no more than 15 to 20 people in my auditorium. I had a whole row to myself.

Not sure how slow box office will be this weekend, but I see this making no more than $10M tops opening weekend.
Old 08-28-21, 09:53 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It’s on the way to around a $20mil+ opening weekend. I think this would’ve hit big in regular times. Black audiences usually love horror. Mix that with a film directed towards that demographic, a well known property, and Peele’s name on the marketing, it would’ve had a boffo opening.

Last edited by dex14; 08-28-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-28-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I just got back from a matinee and there probably 20-30 people (mixed crowd) and I enjoyed the film. It played more like a thriller in parts, which have this really cool neo-noir aesthetic to it.

I do feel that the final "stinger," if you will,
Spoiler:
sets up an expansion of the "Candy-verse."

At least that's what I got out of it. The Dolby Cinema presentation was great, too. I'll be getting the 4K disc for sure.
Old 08-28-21, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

I do feel that the final "stinger," if you will,
Spoiler:
sets up an expansion of the "Candy-verse."
I felt the whole movie was that.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 06:01 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I felt like this movie should have leaned more into social commentary, and also more into the horror aspect of Candyman. It wanted to do both, but just ...kind of didn't

Instead it almost came across as preachy (and not in THAT way, I mean it felt like it tried to be a movie with a message) with some slasher scenes in it. I'd say an extra 15 minutes could have helped...
Old 08-28-21, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by JayTL
I felt like this movie should have leaned more into social commentary, and also more into the horror aspect of Candyman. It wanted to do both, but just ...kind of didn't

Instead it almost came across as preachy, with some slasher scenes in it. I'd say an extra 15 minutes could have helped...
To me, it seemed like a good chunk of the movie was cut. Especially scenes that may have included Colman Domingo's character.
Spoiler:
His motivations weren't very clear and it seemed really rushed.

I hope if stuff was cut, maybe we'll get a director's cut.
Old 08-28-21, 07:03 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
To me, it seemed like a good chunk of the movie was cut. Especially scenes that may have included Colman Domingo's character.
Spoiler:
His motivations weren't very clear and it seemed really rushed.

I hope if stuff was cut, maybe we'll get a director's cut.

I feel the same. It feels like they had a good chunk cut to hit the 90 minute mark.
Old 08-29-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I was pretty pleasantly surprised with this one. I didn't care for "Get Out" most likely as it was hyped to hell when I finally saw it, but this felt like a better movie to me. I liked that the female lead was smart and it did not play heavily into the "don't go into the basement- oh shit she went into the basement" trope of horror movies and she was smart about how she handled herself. I had not seen the first movie so I don't know the backstory and such aside from what was in the film. I did feel Domingo was wasted in the role somewhat and he got a little bit cartoonish near the end which is a shame as I liked him in FTWD. I would probably watch this again at home when it's on again. It did feel like it had some stuff cut out and it could have been a bit longer but it held my interest for the whole film and I was not tempted to be looking at my phone etc.
Old 08-29-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Honestly I don’t think you need to freak out about crowds. This is a very niche horror movie and not the kind of movie that will draw lots of people. Just see a matinee during the week. I caught a 430pm matinee today and there was no more than 15 to 20 people in my auditorium. I had a whole row to myself.

Not sure how slow box office will be this weekend, but I see this making no more than $10M tops opening weekend.

Thinking of going for a showing next weekend with the Regal pass and spending most of next Saturday at the movies. Going to shoot for a matinee of both this and Shang Chi
Old 08-29-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Estimated $22M opening weekend.

Budget was reportedly $25M.
Old 08-29-21, 07:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see it doing well at the box office. Would like to see another chapter in the Candyman universe.
Old 08-29-21, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Estimated $22M opening weekend.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1432000830618624010?s=20

Budget was reportedly $25M.
First black female director to have a number one movie at the domestic box office.

Can’t wait to see what she does with The Marvels.
Old 08-29-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
My take away from the reviews so far is that it's entertaining and creepy but not necessarily scary and about as subtle as a sledgehammer.
That's how I would describe it.
Old 08-30-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I liked it, but that ending was so sudden. Feels incomplete
Old 09-09-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I saw this yesterday and thought it was okay. Filmed and acted well and I liked how it tied into the first, but I didn't think it was scary. As for the sledgehammer comment above, I don't mind my horror movies trying to say something, but here they ditched the subtext and jumped right into text.
Old 09-11-21, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched last weekend and enjoyed the movie.
Old 09-11-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I saw this about a week ago and enjoyed it. Never was a huge fan of the original movie, but liked this one a bit more.Yahya Abdul-Mateen could be star if he chooses the right roles. It was nice to revisit the neighborhood from the original and expand on the mythology surrounding the Candyman. I like the idea they were going for here with multiple Candymans throughout history. But Tony Todd will always be my Candyman.
Old 09-13-21, 02:33 PM

This will be available on PVOD starting Friday.
Old 09-16-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

It dropped on PPV today. 20 bucks.
Old 09-17-21, 08:08 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

this was ok. not great by any stretch. a little bizarre and some scenes felt out of place (girls in HS), but the last shot was the best of any movie this year.
Old 09-17-21, 04:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

also, kept thinking this seemed like direct sequel and though i never saw Farewell to Flesh, just kept thinking this has to be sequel especially with cameos.
Old 09-18-21, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Saw this in the theater yesterday. It was good, but like others have mentioned not scary at all. I’d go see a sequel mostly because of what happened at the end.
Old 09-19-21, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Say my name 5 times and my Random Page Three Thoughts will appear in the mirror ...

Originally Posted by OldBoy
this was ok. not great by any stretch. a little bizarre and some scenes felt out of place (girls in HS), but the last shot was the best of any movie this year.
They were set up: the "lead" girl was the girl at the art gallery but then she seemed forgotten about ... until there was that great transition! But yes, they did feel shoe-horned in and left Candyman's motivations a big foggy. I'm assuming the school is in the neighborhood. They were briefly bullying the girl in the bathroom stall. Then again, most of Candyman's motivations were unclear. Notice he only killed white people in this movie. At first it seemed like people who had wronged Anthony, but that went away pretty quickly.

All in all I like the commentary they were going for, I wish they had done a little tighter job on the storytelling though. We could have used a tightened up social commentary, better character development for Anthony and Brianna (the little bit of background she got should have either been cut or made to pay off), and clearer motivations of Laundryman (Laundryman, Laundryman, Laundryman, Laundryman ... AAAGGGHHHH!!!!!) and Candyman.

DiCosta's visuals were amazing and, save for the first kills, I love the ways she chose to keep the kills distanced from the camera. I have seen that surreal low-hanging fog (is it fog if it isn't on the ground?) in Chicago many times; simply flipping the image upside-down brought a new level of creep to it.

The shadow puppets were a great and effective way to tell backstory. I'll admit I felt a bit goofy sitting in the theater watching them ... I was the only white person in the theater and it felt as if I was the only one who was watching this as more than a gory horror film. This occurred to me when everybody else was laughing and leaving, but I sat there with tears in my eyes from the story being conveyed over the end credits.

I need to go back and watch the original again. I probably haven't seen it since the 90s, but it did stay in my memory. Can we stop with the whole "reboot/spiritual sequel" and whatever creative colloquialisms they keep coming up with ... it is a sequel. Now it would be nice if you'd change the title.
Old 09-19-21, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finally got a chance to see this in a theater today.

I enjoyed the overall film, even though there were pieces of it that wasn't fond of.

Loved the cinematography, score & set pieces as well as Yahya Abdul-Mateen II in the lead role (as Anthony McCoy).

Thought the film did solid work in extending the mythos of the first film. As others mentioned, I really liked the idea of multiple Candymen existing throughout history.

To echo more of what has already been said, I thought the film could have benefited from leaning heavier into Social Commentary rather than sprinkling it throughout, which made much of the dialogue feel odd & forced in that specific area. That alone would have helped improve so much of the film's dialogue as well as some not-so-subtle lines in the ending.

Also, while I appreciated the Body Horror aspects of the film (the FX work was solid), I didn't think the film earned it organically. Anthony gets stung early on and rarely does anyone acknowledge how disgusting his hand/arm/neck are throughout. Outside the art dealer dinner & hospital visit, everyone in the film just seems to ignore it completely, even when parts of Anthony's affected body aren't even covered.

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-20-21 at 10:09 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.