Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 03:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

Interesting.

It’s an unusual shift. Can’t think of anyone else who’s moved from comedy to horror.
Old 01-29-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Interesting.

It’s an unusual shift. Can’t think of anyone else who’s moved from comedy to horror.
Mendelson: When you were first developing the project, were you intentionally developing a horror film because you liked horror, or because it was a genre that has a long history with being able to tackle social and topical elements, in the trappings of a popcorn entertainment.

Peele: It was [both]. I've been a horror fan for so long. I've done so much comedy over the last 15 years, but you could recognize a lot of similarities between the genres. So much of it is pacing, so much of it reveals. So much of it is the ability to pinpoint what an audience is going through at that very moment.

A big part of it is I've been wanting to do horror for a long time, and luckily I've kind of gotten something of a training through comedy. I definitely felt confident in the fact that it's a genre that all you need to work is the story and the scariness and the emotion. If you can get that you can make a decent movie in the genre.
Old 01-29-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Is Jordan Peele being pigeonholed or is this really what he wants to do? All I know is the guy is/was a comedian. He made one movie that was a dark satire that used the horror genre to get its point across, and now he’s being treated Sam Raimi. He’s attached to like 3 horror related projects. Is this what he wants to be doing?
Sam Raimi, whose horror films are known for slapstick and campy humor.
Old 01-30-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yes.

"I’ve been spending the first half of my career focusing on comedy but my goal, in all honesty, is to write and direct horror movies.
That's pretty cool. After hearing about Get Out, and the news about his involvement in the new Twilight Zone series, I just assumed he was a fan of horror/supernatural and had a real interest in it, career-wise.

Interesting.

Yeah, that's not common, but I'm not too surprised by it his shift. Some of the Key & Peele episodes are genuinely creepy. Like they could be their own horror films or episodes. The acting, atmosphere, and concepts are great, and you can tell their made by someone who understands the genre well.
Old 02-26-19, 12:42 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Aquaman actor Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is in talks to lead the new Candyman.

The spiritual sequel from MGM is being produced by Jordan Peele and his Monkeypaw Productions banner, along with Win Rosenfeld. Nia DaCosta (Little Woods) is on board to direct.

The movie will be a contemporary follow-up to the 1992 horror film, an adaptation of the Clive Barker story The Forbidden that told of the legend of the Candyman, a murdered son of a slave who is now a supernatural killer, and his unique relationship with a white grad student working on a thesis on urban legends, all set against the backdrop of a Chicago housing project.

The new story is set in the Cabrini-Green housing projects, which have now been gentrified.

Candyman is set for a June 12, 2020, release.

Abdul-Mateen, whose credits include The Get Down and Baywatch, will next be seen in Peele's horror thriller Us. He is repped by Gersh, Anonymous Content and Bloom Hergott.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...sequel-1190766
Old 02-26-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He was one of the stronger actors in "Aquaman". Curious to see how this is a spiritual sequel with a different Candyman.
Old 02-26-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
He was one of the stronger actors in "Aquaman". Curious to see how this is a spiritual sequel with a different Candyman.
It’s too bad they didn’t go with that idea in the sequels. The end of the first film pretty much sets up Helen taking on the role of the killer in the sequel. Granted Tony Todd was a more interesting and intimidating character, but you probably could have still worked him in somehow.

If there was a franchise where ignoring the sequels wouldn’t bother me and making a direct sequel to the first film only this could be one that would benefit.
Old 03-02-19, 07:56 AM

Teyonah Parris, who appeared in Barry Jenkins’ If Beale Street Could Talk, is in negotiations to star opposite Yahya Abdul-Mateen in Candyman, MGM's update of the 1990s cult horror hit.

Jordan Peele is producing the reimagining, which is being described as a “spiritual sequel.” Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions partner Win Rosenfeld is also producing.

The original movie adapted the Clive Barker story The Forbidden and told of the legend of the Candyman, a murdered son of a slave who is now a supernatural killer, and his unique relationship with a white grad student working on a thesis on urban legends, all set against the backdrop of a poor Chicago housing project.

The new version is once again set in the Windy City neighborhood, but it is now gentrified. Abdul-Mateen, who is still in negotiations for the movie, would play an artist who becomes obsessed with the bloody legend. If the deal makes, Parris will play his girlfriend, an art dealer.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ndyman-1191801
Old 05-02-19, 11:19 AM

It’s hard to know what exactly is going on with director Nia DaCosta‘s Candyman, which has been described as a “spiritual sequel” to the original film. It had initially been reported that Aquaman actor Yahya Abdul-Mateen II had been cast to play the new Candyman, and though he has indeed been cast in the movie, DaCosta recently clarified that report.

“Well, it’s been slightly misreported,” DaCosta told Collider. “I can’t say what’s happening in the film because we want it to be a surprise, but he’s not replacing Tony Todd. That’s been reported, and I was just like, “I don’t know what to say about this. This is not right.’”

DaCosta’s tease of a surprise here seems to suggest that maybe Tony Todd will make some kind of appearance in the new movie, and what we do know for sure is that Todd and producer Jordan Peele have now had some kind of conversation about the project. Speaking with Forbes as part of an interview piece you should read, Todd teases that fans will be pleased.

“In Jordan Peele’s case I really like what I’ve seen of his work so far. I have full confidence in that remake being in competent hands and he and I have talked,” the horror icon told the website. “I can’t say anything further than that, but I think the fans are going to be happy.”

This is of course pure speculation on our part, but it definitely seems like the door has been left open for Todd to make some kind of return here. How awesome would that be?!

If Beale Street Could Talk actress Teyonah Parris will reportedly play the girlfriend of an art dealer obsessed with the legend of Candyman in the Jordan Peele-produced film.

The new movie returns to the neighborhood where the legend began: the now-gentrified section of Chicago where the Cabrini-Green housing projects once stood.

Jordan Peele wrote the script with Win Rosenfeld.

MGM will bring Candyman back to life on June 12, 2020.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...YXk9OXRMIVUml0
Old 05-29-19, 10:11 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q8ttMyLSEfo?start=189" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-27-19, 06:05 PM

Principal photography kicked off a little over a month ago here in Chicago on the next Candyman, the Jordan Peele-produced sequel to the Clive Barker adaptation that’s directed by Nia DaCosta (Little Woods).

While Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Us, Aquaman) leads the cast, horror fans have been on pins and needles waiting for an announcement in regards to the title character.

I had been hearing for weeks, from several sources, that Tony Todd will be returning to the role that he first portrayed in the 1992 film of the same name. All of my sources are solid, but none of them were fully confident, which led me on a wild goose chase for confirmation. Just a few minutes ago, I had given up and decided to run the scoop on Twitter. Within minutes, two more trustworthy sources came forward telling me that what I had been hearing was, in fact, true.

While I’d still like to tread carefully and wait for MGM to officially announce the news in order to pop the champagne and celebrate, it’s looking like Tony Todd will be returning as the hook-handed Candyman next summer.

Peele (Get Out, Us) co-wrote the script, which is described as a “spiritual sequel” to the original classic. The sequel returns to the neighborhood where the legend began: the now-gentrified section of Chicago where the Cabrini-Green housing projects once stood.

Watch this spot for all official news as it arrives. We’ll all be Candyman’s victim come June 12, 2020.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ps3IhUCFDmvkqc
Old 01-15-20, 07:43 PM

In Candyman, an adaptation of Clive Barker‘s story that was directed by Bernard Rose, Virginia Madsen plays Helen Lyle, a Chicago grad student who becomes obsessed with a Cabrini Green-set urban legend about a spirit who appears when his name is said into a mirror five times. With a hook in the place of one of his hands, Candyman torments Helen, who eventually dies in a fire and becomes her own urban myth.

The new Candyman, directed by Nia DaCosta, allegedly takes place after the events in the 1992 classic. While Tony Todd‘s Candyman does seemingly play a role, we’re told that one of the main catalysts is Helen Lyle. Yup, that Helen Lyle.

While we’re unsure if Madsen makes any kind of appearance, Bloody Disgusting was able to confirm that Cassie Kramer has taken over the role of Helen Lyle and will star in the spiritual sequel set for release on June 12, 2020.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Us, Aquaman) leads the cast, and Jordan Peele (Get Out, Us) co-wrote the script, which is described as a “spiritual sequel” to the original classic. The sequel returns to the neighborhood where the legend began: the now-gentrified section of Chicago where the Cabrini-Green housing projects once stood.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...man-exclusive/
Old 02-25-20, 09:11 AM

Old 02-25-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excited for the trailer. I’m anticipating this movie quite a bit.
Old 02-27-20, 10:11 AM

Don’t say his name.

This summer, Oscar® winner Jordan Peele unleashes a fresh take on the blood-chilling urban legend that your friend’s older sibling probably told you about at a sleepover: Candyman. Rising filmmaker Nia DaCosta (Little Woods) directs this contemporary incarnation of the cult classic.

For as long as residents can remember, the housing projects of Chicago’s Cabrini Green neighborhood were terrorized by a word-of-mouth ghost story about a supernatural killer with a hook for a hand, easily summoned by those daring to repeat his name five times into a mirror. In present day, a decade after the last of the Cabrini towers were torn down, visual artist Anthony McCoy (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II; HBO’s Watchmen, Us) and his girlfriend, gallery director Brianna Cartwright (Teyonah Parris; If Beale Street Could Talk, The Photograph), move into a luxury loft condo in Cabrini, now gentrified beyond recognition and inhabited by upwardly mobile millennials.

With Anthony’s painting career on the brink of stalling, a chance encounter with a Cabrini Green old-timer (Colman Domingo; HBO’s Euphoria, Assassination Nation) exposes Anthony to the tragically horrific nature of the true story behind Candyman. Anxious to maintain his status in the Chicago art world, Anthony begins to explore these macabre details in his studio as fresh grist for paintings, unknowingly opening a door to a complex past that unravels his own sanity and unleashes a terrifyingly viral wave of violence that puts him on a collision course with destiny.

Universal Pictures presents, from Metro Goldwyn Mayer Pictures and Jordan Peele and Win Rosenfeld’s Monkeypaw Productions, in association with BRON Creative, Candyman. Candyman is directed by DaCosta, and is produced by Ian Cooper (Us), Rosenfeld and Peele. The screenplay is by Peele & Rosenfeld and DaCosta. The film is based on the 1992 film Candyman, written by Bernard Rose, and the short story “The Forbidden” by Clive Barker. The film’s executive producers are David Kern, Aaron L. Gilbert and Jason Cloth.

In Theaters June 12
Old 02-27-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking pretty good so far.
Old 02-27-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I see that Vanessa Williams hasn't changed too much!
Old 02-27-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

I didn’t love or hate the original. I am very glad this isn’t a remake though. I’ll check it out in the theater to support it.
Old 02-27-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I thought the first half of the trailer was great, but then it just kept going.
Old 02-27-20, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

This actually looks pretty good - was expecting the worst. wasn't a huge fan of the original but I could always see why a lot of people liked it.
Old 02-28-20, 07:23 PM

Candyman is here. The first trailer for the sequel to the 1992 horror classic premiered on Thursday afternoon, and at a press event the day before, director Nia DaCosta promised that the full film would have plenty of gore.

“I really love gore,” DaCosta said, explaining that she and Get Out director Jordan Peele, who co-wrote and produced Candyman, have different horror aesthetics. “Jordan’s really brilliant at not showing everything, and my instinct is to do the exact opposite. But there’s... a good amount of things you don’t want to see, that I make you look at."

Candyman, which will appear in theaters this summer, stars Watchmen’s Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as an artist investigating the Candyman legend, only to find himself drawn into something horrible. At the press event on Wednesday, Peele explained his reverence for the original movie.

“It was one of the few movies that explored any aspect of the black experience in the horror genre in the ‘90s,” Peele said.

The 1992 Candyman was set in Chicago’s Cabrini–Green Homes, a public housing project with a bad reputation. Now, in 2020, almost all of Cabrini–Green has been torn down and replaced with upscale high-rises. Nia DaCosta, who directs the new movie, told the press that “Gentrification in our film is what helped us to reimagine the story.”

“The movie in the ‘90s has a vision of Cabrini–Green where it’s sort of on its way to being knocked down… Like, there’s an ArcLight really close to where Cabrini–Green used to be” DaCosta said. “What we do in our film is talk about the ghosts that have been left behind because of gentrification, and in particular, Cabrini–Green.”

It’s still not exactly clear what sort of role Tony Todd, who played the titular Candyman in the original movies, will have in the new film, and it’s hard to make out if he’s in the trailer. There was originally a bit of a controversy where Todd said he was “hurt” that he wasn’t part of the new film, but he’s since been brought into the fold in some capacity. DaCosta was coy when asked if Todd appears in her film.

“Well well well… I really love Tony Todd, he’s iconic,” she said. “And I will say what we’ve done with this film is… is great. And Tony’s great. Jordan’s great. I don’t want to give anything away.”

Candyman hits theaters on June 12, 2020.
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/candym...uel-blood-gore

Old 02-28-20, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was pretty sure I saw a brief glimpse of Tony Todd in the trailer. Seems like that screenshot confirms it. Plus he’s credited on IMDB so he must show up. Glad they got him for something in this film. He’s definitely iconic as Candyman.
Old 02-28-20, 08:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

But he was all about presence in original. They didn’t even show him and just seemed like another possessed guy. But Jordan Peele’s name attached to anything is gold these days so we’ll see...
Old 02-29-20, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Trailer looks like shite.
Old 02-29-20, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I am curious to know what Todd's involvement will be, since I read they were nearly done filming before he was even contacted. The trailer is implying that this "Candyman" is a possessed Anthony McCoy, but hopefully we'll still see Tony pop up for a scene or two.

BTW, just noticed Helen in the trailer as well:

Spoiler:

Last edited by joe_b; 02-29-20 at 04:05 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.