Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Night of the Living Dead sequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Night of the Living Dead sequel

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Night of the Living Dead sequel

I'd love to see another good zombie movie. The stories have gone so far with Walking Dead and countless movies in the past ten years, that I don't know what's left. Though survivalist tales are very enduring. I just don't know where they'd go to make it fresh again.
Old 11-04-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Thing is this franchise isn’t necessarily one that needs to follow a certain set of characters. It’s just about the outbreak and different groups trying to survive it. It’s a very loose continuity but it works.
True.

Most GOOD zombie films can be taken a couple of different ways:
1) As political analogies (something Romero did often).
2) Just plain shit-your-pants movie scares.
Either way, it can be entertaining.

BTW, Brad Pitt is working on the sequel to WWZ (Fincher is directing).
And Zombieland 2 has a release date of Oct. 2019.
Something to look forward to...
Old 11-04-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,219 Likes on 2,077 Posts

^ I love zombie movies but I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a zombie movie than I am for a Fincher directed zombie movie!
Old 11-04-18, 03:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If Fincher actually directs that I'll eat my hat.
Old 11-05-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ I love zombie movies but I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a zombie movie than I am for a Fincher directed zombie movie!
I hear ya.
It will be very interesting to see what he comes up with.
Old 11-05-18, 10:45 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
But, unknown to most is that in the 1970’s, the original writers and producers of Night of the Living Dead penned a sequel to their masterpiece. A sequel that inexplicably has gone unproduced for over forty years – until now.
I'm calling it now and saying this is probably based on Russo's original 'Return of the Living Dead' novel from 1977, which is supposedly completely different from the actual 1985 film with that title.
Old 11-05-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Thing is this franchise isn’t necessarily one that needs to follow a certain set of characters. It’s just about the outbreak and different groups trying to survive it. It’s a very loose continuity but it works.
Old 11-05-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm calling it now and saying this is probably based on Russo's original 'Return of the Living Dead' novel from 1977, which is supposedly completely different from the actual 1985 film with that title.
That's the only possibility I can see. But if that's the case it's that's incredibly deceptive because Living Dead Media is promoting this thing, by implying that Romero, Russo, and the two producers of the original film got together to write an produced film sequel.
Old 12-15-22, 11:28 AM

Received 4,602 Likes on 3,119 Posts
Re: Night of the Living Dead sequel

I don't think this is the same thing that was announced years back, but it does have the Romero family involved.
EXCLUSIVE: Amazon’s MGM division is in final negotiations to acquire worldwide rights to the Night of the Living Dead sequel that Nikyatu Jusu (Nanny) is directing for Village Roadshow Pictures, Vertigo Entertainment, Westbrook, Origin Story and the late George A. Romero’s Sanibel Films.

While specifics as to the financials haven’t been disclosed, we understand that the deal has emerged from a highly competitive situation. The Walking Dead‘s LaToya Morgan scripted the film we were first to report on, which will be released by MGM theatrically.

Credited with launching the zombie subgenre, as well as the career of horror icon George A. Romero, the original 1968 indie Night of the Living Dead is considered to be one of the most influential and profitable films ever made. While spurring countless other projects over the years in the flesh-eating arena, Romero’s film launched a franchise of its own that includes five sequels helmed by Romero between 1978 and 2009.

Specifics as to the new film’s plot are under wraps, though it will be produced and overseen by Christine Romero and Tina Romero of Sanibel Films; Jillian Apfelbaum, Tristen Tuckfield and Nic Gordon at Village Roadshow Pictures; Ryan Silbert of Origin Story; Andrew Childs for Roy Lee’s Vertigo Entertainment; and Jon Mone and Ryan Shimazaki of Westbrook Studios. CAA Media Finance and Village Roadshow Pictures co-represented the sale of rights for the project introduced to buyers at AFM 2022, which is intended to reignite Night of the Living Dead as a franchise.

Night of the Living Dead is Jusu’s second project with Amazon on the heels of her feature directorial debut, Nanny, which this year became the first horror film to win Sundance’s Grand Jury Prize, with Jusu at the same time becoming just the second Black female filmmaker to claim the award. That film, following the Senegalese immigrant nanny Aisha (Anna Diop) as she attempts to piece together a new life in New York City, while caring for the child of an Upper East Side family, was released theatrically through Amazon on November 23rd and debuts globally on Prime Video on Friday, December 16.

Also coming up for the in-demand filmmaker is a feature adaptation of her acclaimed Sundance-premiering short Suicide by Sunlight, about day-walking Black vampires protected from the sun by their melanin, for Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw and Universal. Jusu will direct that pic from a script written with Fredrica Bailey.

Morgan served as a writer and producer on AMC’s beloved zombie apocalypse series The Walking Dead, and is currently showrunning Duster, having created the upcoming HBO Max crime drama series with J.J. Abrams.

Jusu is repped by CAA, M88 and Granderson Des Rochers; Morgan by Eclipse Law; and Vertigo, Origin Story and Westbrook by CAA.
https://deadline.com/2022/12/night-o...gm-1235200144/
Old 12-15-22, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Re: Night of the Living Dead sequel

I guess you could do a story that's set right after the original 1968 flick. If you made it a period piece and really leaned it, it could be fun.