Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Attack On Titans - WB Remake (D: Muschietti)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Andy Muschietti to Direct ‘Attack on Titan’ for Warner Bros. (EXCLUSIVE)
By DAVE MCNARY @Variety_DMcNary

After the record-breaking box office run of “It,” director Andy Muschietti has found his next project.

Muschietti will direct a feature film adaptation of “Attack on Titans” for Warner Bros. The studio finalized a deal with Japan-based publishing company Kodansha on Monday.

“Attack on Titan,” written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama, has become one of the best-selling manga series with over 76 million copies in print since debuting in 2009. It is set in a world in which humanity lives in cities surrounded by enormous walls protecting themselves from gigantic humanoids that are referred to as titans.

David Heyman (“Harry Potter,” “Fantastic Beasts”) is producing the film with Masi Oka (“Mega Man”) and Andy’s sister Barbara Muschietti (“It” and “Mama”).

This isn’t the first time “Attack on Titan” is getting the big screen treatment. Shinji Higuchi directed a Japanese version in 2015. It was released in two parts and earned $46 million. In 2013, Wit Studios debuted an anime television series.

Muschietti’s adaptation of “It” — based on the Stephen King novel — became one of the biggest horror film of all time with $700 million worldwide. He is currently in production on the sequel “It: Chapter 2.” Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, Bill Hader, and Isaiah Mustafa are starring as the adult members of the Losers Club in the follow-up, set to open on Sept. 6, 2019.
WTH happened to Robotech and Sony?
Old 10-30-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Attack On Titans - WB Remake (D: Muschietti)

with Masi Oka (“Mega Man”)
...what.
Old 10-30-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
...what.
He's producing a live action Mega Man.
Old 10-30-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, the good thing for them is that the setting is roughly based in Europe and features European characters, a lot of them with German surnames. So they can cast white characters and not have to worry about white-washing the story like Ghost In The Shell.

I'm not crazy about the idea, as I think that the anime as done the original series justice, and at times is better than the manga.
Old 10-30-18, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Well, the good thing for them is that the setting is roughly based in Europe and features European characters, a lot of them with German surnames. So they can cast white characters and not have to worry about white-washing the story like Ghost In The Shell.

I'm not crazy about the idea, as I think that the anime as done the original series justice, and at times is better than the manga.
Watch them cast a white actress for Mikasa, though.
Old 10-30-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm curious how they'll portray the Titans here. In the series they often have this child-like clumsiness that contrasted with their actions makes them very disturbing.
Old 10-30-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this is going to be a straight out horror film. Even animated and in manga form the Titans are horrifying, I can't imagine a live action film with actually decent CG. The Colossal Titan that usually is shown on covers is like the least horrifying design.
Old 10-30-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Edge of Tomorrow is like one of the few movies Hollywood did decently based on a manga series. I just don't have any faith this will be good based on a consistent history of them screwing things up and the end result being obvious those in charge of the writing knew nothing of the source material they were put in charge of adapting....

I hope it'll be worthwhile, but I just don't think it will be. Probably another dumpster fire like Netflix' Death Note.
Old 10-31-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
Edge of Tomorrow is like one of the few movies Hollywood did decently based on a manga series. I just don't have any faith this will be good based on a consistent history of them screwing things up and the end result being obvious those in charge of the writing knew nothing of the source material they were put in charge of adapting....

I hope it'll be worthwhile, but I just don't think it will be. Probably another dumpster fire like Netflix' Death Note.
Isn't Edge of Tomorrow based on a light novel series (which the manga is also based off of)?