Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sports errors in movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sports errors in movies

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts
Sports errors in movies

So, inspired by the volleyball talk in Carrie in another thread, I thought I'd ask what are some examples in movies where sports rules are ignored and/or violated for dramatic purposes?

In Youngblood, the finale is a penalty shot, which goes into the net. Goal. But they wait for the puck to land, it bounces along the line a bit, then stops over the line. Doesn't matter, it was already a goal.

Conversely, in The Mighty Ducks 2, the movie ends with a penalty shot on the girl goalie. The opposing skater takes the shot in a spray of snow, and there's dramatic pause as she slowly opens her catching glove to reveal the puck. She doesn't need to catch it though. If it doesn't go into the net, it's not a goal.

Lucas. Oh, so many errors in the climactic play. First, there's two forward passes on the same play. But when Lucas runs into the open and they throw it to him, he drops it. Incomplete pass. But the other team picks it up. Pretty sure you can't advance an incomplete pass.

Whip It. Now, here's where I'm gonna geek out a bit. There's a scene early on where Smashley Simpson is knocked off the track. She skates over to the person who hit her and lays her out with a punch. While it doesn't matter since she's ejected from the game anyway for throwing the punch, she skated out of bounds to get back to her (one penalty) and gets back on the track in front of her (another penalty). None of those penalties were called.

The more egregious error was when "Razor" had the other team run the play against the Hurl Scouts. All four blockers stop and take out the Hurl Scouts' blockers. But you cannot stop on the track in banked track roller derby, and you can't hit from a stopped position in any roller derby, so all four skaters would be penalized.
Old 10-25-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Sports errors in movies

What/where was the Carrie volleyball talk, and did it have to do with both teams insulting Carrie, when the winning team should have still at least sarcastically thanked her

As for Mighty Ducks 2, how about the fact that they have professional commentary and a packed arena for a fucking junior league hockey game. If you can’t even watch a random professional tennis match (non Major) these days without a premium sports package, who the hell is watching that shit on TV in the 90s?

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-25-18 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I was always confused by why the Angles in the Outfield couldn't help the hapless Angels in the playoffs but could during the regular season. Isn't that still screwing over some more deserving MLB team?
Old 10-25-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

DeNiro's The Fan ends with a climactic baseball game played in a torrential rainstorm. It's like the movie's writer had never seen a baseball game - - the very phrase "rain out" is a baseball term
Old 10-26-18, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Not a movie and not a specific rule violated, but Danny McBride's pitching in Eastbound & Down is absolute horse shit.
Old 10-26-18, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Driven. All Stallone has to do to win a car race is to floor the accelerator really hard.

It's been a long time since I've seen The Absent Minded Professor, but don't the good guys pull all kinds of illegal moves?
Old 10-26-18, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Not a movie and not a specific rule violated, but Danny McBride's pitching in Eastbound & Down is absolute horse shit.
Well yeah, except that's part of the awesomeness of the show...
Old 10-26-18, 07:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Teen Wolf. At the final game Mick gets to intimidate Scott before the final free throws- totally illegal
Old 10-26-18, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
DeNiro's The Fan ends with a climactic baseball game played in a torrential rainstorm. It's like the movie's writer had never seen a baseball game - - the very phrase "rain out" is a baseball term
I saw that in the trailer and muttered, "Of all the stupid things..."
Never did see the movie.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-26-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

That's probably not the writer, -that's a director Tony Scott thing (he must have liked the visual). As I recall, "The Last Boy Scout" ends with the final football game played in a downpour, and in "Crimson Tide" the commander gives his crew a big speech before boarding the sub in the pouring rain. I'm sure there's probably another one I'm not thinking of.
Old 10-26-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
Teen Wolf. At the final game Mick gets to intimidate Scott before the final free throws- totally illegal
You already have to suspend disbelief with a werewolf playing basketball, but that was a “psych out” in Baseketball.
Old 10-26-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't even get me started on Trouble with the Curve. There's not really any errors with the game play as I recall, but the behind-the-scenes stuff is garbage, like the idea they would consider a #1 pick a total bust from one rough batting practice session.

Oh, and Space Jam, come on!
Old 10-26-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I didn't like the movie so I haven't seen it in nearly twenty years (so I'm sure there are more), but it bugged me that the Sharks got to wear their black uniforms in both home and away games in Any Given Sunday. Also, there didn't seem to be a play clock because those huddles went on forever.
Old 10-26-18, 10:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It always bugged me that the Naked Gun used the Angels, but they were playing in Dodger Stadium.
Old 10-26-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
What/where was the Carrie volleyball talk, and did it have to do with both teams insulting Carrie, when the winning team should have still at least sarcastically thanked her
And I didn't even notice that. (You're right...that does happen. I used to play defense in hockey, and when a puck deflected into my net off my skate, I got pats on the back from the guy who shot it. Asshole.)

No, I was referring to Sue Snell hitting the ball twice in succession, which should have ended the volley and the game long before Carrie missed the ball.
Old 10-26-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff

Lucas. Oh, so many errors in the climactic play. First, there's two forward passes on the same play. But when Lucas runs into the open and they throw it to him, he drops it. Incomplete pass. But the other team picks it up. Pretty sure you can't advance an incomplete pass.
Also, on the play before that, Lucas lines up as a down lineman and then stands up and waves to Kerri Green on the sideline without being called for a false start.

Then when the coach tries to send someone in to replace him without Lucas coming off, the referees blow the whistle and warn the coach (which I'm pretty sure would never happen until after the flag was already thrown) and claim that the penalty for 12 men on the field is a 15 yard penalty with loss of down. WHAT?
Old 10-26-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't Lucas also an offensive lineman, and not eligible for the pass anyway? Actually, that I can forgive a little, but the picking up and advancing the incomplete pass was just plain stupid.
Old 10-26-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Wasn't Lucas also an offensive lineman, and not eligible for the pass anyway? Actually, that I can forgive a little, but the picking up and advancing the incomplete pass was just plain stupid.
He was a lineman on the first play and wearing a lineman's number (which doesn't really matter that much in high school), but on the second play one of the other lineman threw him off the line and he was kind of running around in the backfield when they snapped it, which had to be an illegal motion penalty of some kind.
Old 10-26-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The Karate Kid - they specifically say no kicks to the face and Daniel wins with a kick to the face.
Old 10-26-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It always bugged me that the Naked Gun used the Angels, but they were playing in Dodger Stadium.
They also used Wrigley Field as stock shots, in reality the Dodgers wouldn't let them use the team name but let them use the stadium.

As a baseball fan I always hated the hidden ball trick being used in Rookie of the Year, an obvious balk.
Old 10-26-18, 12:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
They also used Wrigley Field as stock shots, in reality the Dodgers wouldn't let them use the team name but let them use the stadium.

As a baseball fan I always hated the hidden ball trick being used in Rookie of the Year, an obvious balk.
Talent for The Game also used Dodgers Stadium for Angels home games.

The Angels did play in Dodgers Stadium for home games from 62-65 seasons (until Anaheim Stadium opened)
Old 10-26-18, 12:53 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Driven. All Stallone has to do to win a car race is to floor the accelerator really hard.
Every racing movie seems to have this higher gear that is saved for passing someone, just shift and stomp on the pedal, then vooom!
Old 10-26-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

In Varsity Blues I never liked how they didn't spike the ball to stop the block. They hiked the ball and threw it out of bounds. I don't know high school football rules but that's intentional grounding in the pros. Even if it's not a penalty, the process of hiking the ball and throwing it out of bounds takes a precious second off the clock compared to spiking it.

And not directly related to the sport, in The Sandlot, it was just a damn dog. Bunch of wimps.
Old 10-26-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

In Space Jam, there are all kinds of rule violations, with weaponry, etc., but the main thing to me is, of all the NBA players the Monstars stole the basketball prowess of Shawn Bradley, then for their only guard they chose Muggsy Bogues (the rest were Ewing, Barkley, and Larry Johnson)?
Old 10-26-18, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Not only was it a torrential rainstorm, the field looked completely dark due to the shitty lighting. No game ever would have been played in these conditions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.