Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,324 Likes on 4,322 Posts
Re: Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I haven't seen this yet, but you did hate Roma, so...
I didn't hate Roma at all. I thought it was probably the best-made film of 2018. I just didn't connect with it emotionally and disliked the main character. No way I would give it lower than and probably rank it a half-star higher than that. I just don't want to watch it again.
Old 03-02-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Really? ? I mean I agree it was old fashioned and clichéd but it was a fun entertaining movie. I would only give that sort of rating to a barely watchable POS.
Sorry to disappoint, with all the talk and awards I thought this movie would bring something to the table, but it did not. Like I said before, Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen do their best at making this semi-tolerable, but the script has issues when it comes to such a serious topic as racism. I know it's supposed to be a feel good entertaining buddy road pic, but the title of this film is about a book that was used by African-Americans in order to make their road trips more "enjoyable" when Jim Crow laws were in effect. I'd be just as disappointed if a feel good entertaining buddy road pic called The Nuremberg Laws was made. Just my two pennies.
Old 03-06-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 03-06-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,149 Posts

^Nice

It's like they can't tell the story of People of Color without making themselves the Main Focus. I'm reminded of the "12 Years a Slave" film that hinges on Brad Pitt strolling in last minute to save the Slave from Slavery with a letter.
Old 03-06-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm reminded of the "12 Years a Slave" film that hinges on Brad Pitt strolling in last minute to save the Slave from Slavery with a letter.
Not the best of examples, Steve McQueen don't play that bullshit. That incident with Samuel Bass (a Canadian carpenter who was against slavery), it was taken from Solomon Northup's memoir and actually happened.
Old 03-06-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by inri222
Not the best of examples, Steve McQueen don't play that bullshit. That incident with Samuel Bass (a Canadian carpenter who was against slavery), it was taken from Solomon Northup's memoir and actually happened.
I get that. But this was Northup's story and even some of the oversees posters managed to make it a Brad Pitt film.
Old 03-06-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I get that. But this was Northup's story and even some of the oversees posters managed to make it a Brad Pitt film.
The sad thing is that without Pitt (who was also one of the producers) the film would not have been made.
Old 03-07-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

History vs. Hollywood on "Green Book"

Video:

Related Article: ( LINK )

And a follow-up video on the controversy regarding "Green Book" from some of Don Shirley's relatives (in short, Don Shirley's audio interviews disprove those claims):

Related Article for this video: ( LINK )

And hopefully this works, but a related link to Wayback Machine version of the same article with original audio files: ( LINK )

Old 03-15-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

I redboxed this and watched it today and the film is fine - it was entertaining and all. Best picture? Fuck no. Hell, that scene
Spoiler:
where Don asks Lip to stop the car seemed to contrived due to the rain. It was the big payoff speech with two men in the rain. Granted it, I'll give you the symbolism and the fact that they focus Don's homosexuality earlier, but I expected the big font letters to appear over that scene thanking the Academy in advance for their consideration.

Other than that, it was a cool little film.
Old 03-18-19, 09:22 AM

Received 4,659 Likes on 3,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I redboxed this and watched it today and the film is fine - it was entertaining and all. Best picture? Fuck no. Hell, that scene
Spoiler:
where Don asks Lip to stop the car seemed to contrived due to the rain. It was the big payoff speech with two men in the rain. Granted it, I'll give you the symbolism and the fact that they focus Don's homosexuality earlier, but I expected the big font letters to appear over that scene thanking the Academy in advance for their consideration.

Other than that, it was a cool little film.
Yup. Entertaining movie, but I think all the awards actually hurt the perspective on it.

This doc just became available on Smithsonian:

The Green Book: Guide to Freedom
In the 1930s, a black postal carrier from Harlem named Victor Green published a book that was part travel guide and part survival guide. It was called The Negro Motorist Green Book, and it helped African-Americans navigate safe passage across America well into the 1960s. Explore some of the segregated nation's safe havens and notorious "sundown towns" and witness stories of struggle and indignity as well as opportunity and triumph.
https://watch.smithsonianchannel.com...-freedom/65552
Old 03-25-19, 07:29 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

So, here's a weird bit of trivia I just discovered last night - Tony Vallelonga, aka 'Tony Lip' (Viggo Mortenson's role) went on to play Carmine Lupertazzi, the Brooklyn NY boss/Tony Sack's boss, in The Sopranos.
Old 03-25-19, 07:33 AM

Received 4,659 Likes on 3,154 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
So, here's a weird bit of trivia I just discovered last night - Tony Vallelonga, aka 'Tony Lip' (Viggo Mortenson's role) went on to play Carmine Lupertazzi, the Brooklyn NY boss/Tony Sack's boss, in The Sopranos.
Yea, he was in multiple movies, including Goodfellas: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0513401/
Old 05-02-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You don't say.

‘Green Book’ Producer Says Film Was Aimed at Older White Audiences
“Occasionally you need to make a movie that is directed at older white people,” Participant Media’s Jonathan King says

https://www.thewrap.com/green-book-p...ite-audiences/
Old 05-02-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea, he was in multiple movies, including Goodfellas: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0513401/
Crazy that he was in Godfather, Raging Bull, GoodFellas, Donnie Brasco and then Sopranos. Even if it was just extra work, that is just bizarre he'd be in every seminal mafia piece.
Old 05-03-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by inri222
You don't say.

‘Green Book’ Producer Says Film Was Aimed at Older White Audiences
“Occasionally you need to make a movie that is directed at older white people,” Participant Media’s Jonathan King says

https://www.thewrap.com/green-book-p...ite-audiences/

Yeah, that sounds about White....
Old 05-16-19, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wife and I watched this tonight and felt it was a very good movie.
The actors did a fine job, real chemistry between Ali and Viggo.
A little bit of history told well.
Old 08-02-19, 07:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Saw this last night and only kind of liked it. I know it’s not fair to criticize a movie for not being what you wanted it to be, and I know it’s based on a true story, but I really didn’t like how completely unaware the main character was. He’d never even heard of Aretha Franklin. He had no idea that going into an all white bar would create a stir. The character was like Forest Gump level naive. I guess the guy really was that cloistered and unaware, but it made for an unlikeable character.
Old 08-03-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Saw this last night and only kind of liked it. I know it’s not fair to criticize a movie for not being what you wanted it to be, and I know it’s based on a true story, but I really didn’t like how completely unaware the main character was. He’d never even heard of Aretha Franklin. He had no idea that going into an all white bar would create a stir. The character was like Forest Gump level naive. I guess the guy really was that cloistered and unaware, but it made for an unlikeable character.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shirley
Old 09-11-19, 02:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I was so let down by the movie that it led me to a better movie than Green Book.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...mentary-oscars

This doc tells the history of the Green Book guide itself. It’s a compelling and heart breaking story, well told, about a very interesting, and little known item of American history. It’s only 55 minutes long and you can buy it on amazon for $2.99.

The real lie of the Farrelly movie is that blacks needed to watch their backs when on the road in the South. The truth is they had to watch their backs on the road EVERYWHERE. As the doc points out Route 66 traveled through over 80 counties, and about half of them had sundown laws. That is still really chilling. A terrible dark side to the “Mother Road” that we mostly celebrate with a giggle and a nod to its kitsch.