Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Old 09-17-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Surprised nobody has yet started a thread about this movie directed by famed comedy director Peter Farrelly. It's apparently amazing and a true audience-pleaser. It won the Audience Award at TIFF and now is a front-runner in several major categories. I've read a lot about it in recent days from Jeffery Wells at Hollywood-Elsewhere :

Fuhgedaboudit — “Green Book” Is A Huge Hit + Awards Contender

The Elgin theatre audience exploded in cheers and whoo-whoo applause when a showing of Peter Farrelly’s Green Book (Universal, 11.21) ended late Tuesday night. I’m not talking about expressions of warmth and respect — I’m talking about instant kapow, instant “yes!” No other Toronto Film Festival screening I’ve attended has generated this kind of love, alpha vibes and excitement.

A racially stamped, early ’60s version of Planes, Trains & Automobiles blended with a little Driving Miss Daisy and fortified by a shrewd, plain-spoken, nicely-honed screenplay (by Farrelly, Brian Hayes Currie and Nick Vallelonga) that touches solid bottom in a few ways, Green Book is a huge hit waiting to happen and a definite Best Picture nominee…hands down, don’t even think about it, Tom O’Neil is going to have kittens.

A heartwarmer about the various shades and permutations of American racism coursing through the body politic back in the Kennedy era, Green Book is not the contradiction it sounds like but the most satisfying feel-good movie I’ve seen in a long, long time.

Is it anywhere close to daring or nervy? Nope — it’s a nice, safe, entertaining middle-class dramedy, tidy and affecting and right out of the big-studio handbook, but man, it really hits the spot. I’m talking about a moviegoing experience that goes down like a nice creamy milk shake.

You can call me a square or a sap for succumbing to a film of this sort, a liberal-minded social-issue dramedy that could’ve easily been made 20 or 30 years ago, but you should’ve heard that audience go nuts when the closing credits began. I mean, it was like thunderbolt and lightning.

Universal has a real problem on its hands with Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortenson equally deserving Best Actor nominations; I really can’t decide who has a better shot. Okay, maybe Viggo because his character undergoes a greater amount of character growth and self-realization, but Mahershala delivers such a magnificent combination of dignity, buried pain, musical spirit and uptight rectitude.

At least there’ll be no hemming or hawing about Linda Cardellini, who’s a near shoo-in for a Best Supporting Actress nom as Viggo’s stay-at-home Italian wife. Plus you’d have to nominate the screenplay in the Best Original category, and Farrelly for Best Director along with Best Picture.

I’m not saying Green Book is a better film than Roma or First Man or Can You Ever Forgive Me? or Widows or First Reformed, but it makes you feel better than all of these films combined. I’m sorry but it does.

I’m going to bed but I’ll elaborate tomorrow morning sometime.

And then this :

Setting Things Straight

HE commenters have responded to my Green Book rave. Last night “The Cinemaholic” claimed that “post-TIFF, the following films are (almost) confirmed” to receive a Best Picture nom — Roma, First Man, A Star Is Born, Green Book and If Beale Street Could Talk. He further asserted that The Favourite and Can You Ever Forgive Me? are “likely but not guaranteed.”

This prompted “RossoVeneziano” to comment that “The Favourite is much ahead of Green Book LOL,” whatever the hell that means.

My response: If Beale Street snags a Best Picture nom, fine, but my gut suspicion is that it’ll be a miracle if that happens. Don’t buy into the Toronto hype-and-denial hymnbook. It’s a “good”, handsomely composed film with a palpable love current, but it’s definitely an endurance test. It made my petals wilt.

The Barry Jenkins brigade was out in force during that first Princess of Wales screening, and 90% of the critics (pre-cooked admirers of Barry’s gentle, meditative, Wong Kar Wai aesthetic) followed suit in order to play it safe. No downside if they praise it, but if they don’t finger-pointers might begin to question their loyalty to progressive identity politics.

The Favourite is a witty, visually distinctive, Barry Lyndon-like, political-conflict comedy between a pair of shrewd schemers (Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone), but it’s not an audience-pleaser with the button-pushing potency of Green Book.

Yorgos Lanthiimos’ film is therefore not, as of this morning, “much ahead” of Green Book in the Best Picture competish. I think they’re side by side right now, with the Peter Farrelly film currently enjoying a euphoric bounce off of last night’s TIFF screening.

And then “Mark VH” asked if Green Book is “better” than Hidden Figures, which he thought “was one of the most satisfying movies of its kind I’d ever seen (didn’t much care for The Help). Sounds like this is gonna be right up my wife’s alley, as she loves this kind of thing.”

My response: As a well-crafted period piece about pride, smarts and diligence pushing back against racial barriers, Hidden Figures was somewhere between a double and a triple. Set in the same era (early ‘60s) and mining a somewhat similar theme, Green Book is somewhere between a triple and a homer. It’s also, in my book, occasonally funny as shit (Hidden Figures used humor here and there) and generally more entertaining with a better, more deep-down third act. Farrelly’s film, no offense, is a LOT better than “my wife will like it.”

Deadline‘s Pete Hammond on Green Book: “Directed by none other than Peter Farrelly working way out of the zone, it’s that rare gem of a film that seems certain to connect with audiences — and, likely, Academy voters once they get a load of this moving true story. Put simply, this is just a great film, tailor-made for Oscar season and a certain commercial box office hit. I would bet money on it. It is basically a cross of Driving Miss Daisy, In the Heat of the Night, The Help, The Blind Side, Hidden Figures and others that all went on to either win or be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.”

Last edited by Decker; 09-17-18 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Green Book (2018) D : P. Farrelly, S : Ali, Mortenson

Looks good!

And who knew if you packed. Few pounds on Viggo Mortenson he’s look just like Ieff Daniels?
Old 09-18-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was high on my TIFF list this year for quite a while until it became obvious, even pre-fest, that it would be one of those "big buzz" films that would sink or swim on its own merits regardless of the "euphoric bounce" of festival screenings (something that should ALWAYS be taken under advisement even when the films in question really are excellent), plus I was already violating my rule about not paying to see high-profile pictures with a couple of other "name" titles, so I decided to wait on it and pursue less familiar options.

The full TIFF intro and Q&A are here. Q&A starts around 10:26:

Old 11-09-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reviews have been rolling in for a while now, sitting at 93%:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_book

Opens Nov 21st (Wide).

Mortensen is 60 now? I don't know why I'm surprised by that.
Old 11-09-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it twice at TIFF, it's an instant classic IMO. Lots of heart, great performances and it is very funny while still being poignant and insightful. Doesn't gloss over the racism of the time and doesn't make the white guy into a saint. Ali and Mortensen will be in the Oscar conversation and so will the screenplay. Ads are going for the prestige drama angle but it is filled with heart and laughs. Go see it with a crowd. I'll be seeing it again and am sure to watch it every holiday season from here on out.
Old 11-20-18, 06:40 AM

Re: Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

This opens tonight. Currently 80% on RT.
Old 11-24-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it today. Doesn't offer many surprises or break any new ground, but I enjoyed it. Both Ali and Mortensen are very good and are the reason to go see this.
Old 11-24-18, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Saw it today. Doesn't offer many surprises or break any new ground, but I enjoyed it. Both Ali and Mortensen are very good and are the reason to go see this.
Saw it today too. Agreed.
Old 11-25-18, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really enjoyed it. Definitely a crowd pleaser, in the vein of Hidden Figures, it's a movie everybody will enjoy watching in a theater even if it's not really the Best Picture of the year. I'm a sucker for road movies and this is a truly great one. And funnier than I expected given the subject matter.
Old 12-31-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Caught a late afternoon show today.

Wow, I am stunned at how really good this was. It made me smile, laugh and also think. Never knew the story of Tony the Lip and Don Shirley, but it was a really compelling road trip movie. Mortensen and Ali were fantastic. And wow, I was surprised at how much weight Mortensen gained and how much he ate in this movie.

This easily now falls into one of my Top 10 of 2018.

It's definitely a crowd pleaser like Hidden Figures. I guess this movie just got buried discussion-wise in this forum with more high profile movies out. Doesn't seem like many have gone to see it. I went tonight because I heard all the great word of mouth.
Old 01-01-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mahershala Ali Apologized to His Green Book Character’s Family After Controversy

Shirley’s nephew Edwin Shirley III, and his 82-year-old brother, Maurice Shirley, both took issue with several aspects of Green Book: Shirley did not consider Tony Lip a close friend, as the movie suggests. He was always close to his family and brothers, despite a line of dialogue in the movie suggesting he’d lost track of them. He never professed to be embarrassed about his blackness or felt estranged from his race. Maurice Shirley called the movie’s portrayal of his brother “a symphony of lies.”

What’s more, the Shirley family said the musician specifically rejected efforts by Tony Lip’s son to make a movie about their friendship. “I remember very, very clearly, going back 30 years, my uncle had been approached by Nick Vallelonga, the son of Tony Vallelonga, about a movie on his life, and Uncle Donald told me about it,” Edwin told Shadow and Act. “He flatly refused.”
Old 01-01-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That is exactly the kind of story that will totally kill all Oscar hopes for a movie allegedly based on real life events. Bummer because I really loved this movie but it's a dead duck now.
BP will be A Star is Born or Roma.
Old 01-01-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like somebody didn't get paid.
Old 01-05-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Amazing about the flack this movie is getting. I posted that I really enjoyed it after seeing it last week. A former co-worker of mine watched a screener and she said she absolutely hated it and then posted a link on her Facebook page about the Shirley family controversy. Seems like she and some people are taking personal offense that the Shirley family was apparently not involved with the development of this movie and they claim the depictions were inaccurate.

Movies are subjective and I enjoyed it. Usually they always say "Based on true events" or "Based on a true story" I took this film as a fictionalized adaptation of true events with "real life" characters. Maybe the real encounter between Shirley and Tony had to be tweaked to make a good and watchable movie.
Old 01-05-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Amazing about the flack this movie is getting. I posted that I really enjoyed it after seeing it last week. A former co-worker of mine watched a screener and she said she absolutely hated it and then posted a link on her Facebook page about the Shirley family controversy. Seems like she and some people are taking personal offense that the Shirley family was apparently not involved with the development of this movie and they claim the depictions were inaccurate.

Movies are subjective and I enjoyed it. Usually they always say "Based on true events" or "Based on a true story" I took this film as a fictionalized adaptation of true events with "real life" characters. Maybe the real encounter between Shirley and Tony had to be tweaked to make a good and watchable movie.
How on earth can anyone hate this movie!? And I'm not sure I believe what Shirley's family are saying. I don't think this movie will win Best Picture at the Oscars. It better get an Oscar nomination though. Look what happened to "The Shape of Water" last year. At the last minute that playwright claimed Del Toro stole the story from his play. And it still won Best Picture.
Old 01-05-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked the movie. Didn't think I would based on some reviews I have seen. Thought it might be a white savior or magic negro movie but it wasn't or at least I didn't think so. Movie did have problems like I didn't buy Tony's complete change from what he was in the beginning of the movie. I think they would have been better off with a more true to life ending than the fairy tale they had. I don't really blame the family for being upset over it. Still it is just based on a true story not in fact a true story. No where near as bad as the movie that painted that one racist piece of crap army dude as a hero..
Old 01-06-19, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I noticed at the end of the movie that certainly lends at least some credence to the claims of the Shirley family was that in all the real life photos there wasn't a single picture of them together.
Old 01-09-19, 05:38 PM

As “Green Book” picks up accolades on the way to Oscars nominations, controversy continues to swirl around its veracity as a depiction of real-life concert pianist Dr. Don Shirley after his family asserted they were not consulted for the film, calling it a “symphony of lies.”Co-writer Nick Vallelonga, who based the story on his father’s experience driving Shirley through the Deep South for a tour, spoke to Variety at the National Board of Review gala on Tuesday evening in New York City about the dispute.

Vallelonga — whose father, Tony Lip, is played by Viggo Mortensen in “Green Book” — revealed that Dr. Shirley, before his death, told him not to speak to anyone else while writing the story.

“It’s unfortunate to me because I don’t want to hurt the Shirley family in any way,” Vallelonga said Tuesday night.

“Vallelonga added, “Plus, the older brother said he’s never seen it. I think if he does, we put every effort into making his character amazing from when we wrote it, when Pete [Farrelly] directed it and Mahershala [Ali]’s brilliant portrayal. And I think if they really took a look at it, the film is about people coming together, it’s about love. I cared so much about how he comes across so I think it’s more of a misunderstanding.”

Co-writer, Brian Hayes Currie, added, “It’s only supposed to be a two-month window. It’s not the biography of Don Shirley.”

The controversy began bubbling after the Shirley family claimed that the movie’s portrayal was a “symphony of lies.” Since, both Farrelly and Mortensen have spoken out supporting the film, and positing that there may be some resentment from the family about their ties with Shirley.

On Tuesday night at the National Board of Review gala, Farrelly also spoke to Variety, once again defending his film.

“I wish that they were happier,” Farrelly said of the Shirley family. “I’m sorry it went that way, but the truth is we followed protocol in that we looked for Don Shirley’s heirs and unfortunately, that’s not the family — it’s his friends, and that’s who we talks to and got all the rights from. It felt, honestly, weird if we were not trusting Don Shirley’s judgement in going to other people. We went to the people who were closest to him at the time of his death and they gave us all the information we needed. That said, I wish that the family was happier. I hate this kind of thing. We’ve tried
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/g...ey-1203103114/
Old 01-10-19, 07:36 AM

Man... this film has a lot of outside stuff working against it...

'Green Book' director apologizes after reports of past misconduct
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/enter...uct/index.html

Green Book writer called out for falsely claiming New Jersey Muslims cheered 9/11
https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/09/green-book-nick-vallelonga-tweet-muslims-9-11/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_medium=social&utm_term=18682B08-1493-11E9-ACCE-C5D2FCA12A29&fbclid=IwAR26oVRF60xLMRHlXmOvAihrd8zfyk4bSOWxfsfuBA41gzU1AC1kwZOtdk0

Last edited by dex14; 01-10-19 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
^ That is exactly the kind of story that will totally kill all Oscar hopes for a movie allegedly based on real life events. Bummer because I really loved this movie but it's a dead duck now.
BP will be A Star is Born or Roma.
This is the type of crowd pleaser that hasn't won Oscars since the 80's/90's but still get nominated. Unless this somehow misses a nomination for BP it probably doesn't effect the end result as the race was already btwn Klansmen,Roma and ASIB
Old 01-10-19, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
How on earth can anyone hate this movie!? And I'm not sure I believe what Shirley's family are saying. I don't think this movie will win Best Picture at the Oscars. It better get an Oscar nomination though. Look what happened to "The Shape of Water" last year. At the last minute that playwright claimed Del Toro stole the story from his play. And it still won Best Picture.

people arent allowed to dislike a movie? Wow
Old 01-10-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's really unfortunate this movie has gotten a lot of bad press lately. It's a really good, crowd pleasing movie.
Old 01-10-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Redeyejoker View Post

people arent allowed to dislike a movie? Wow
I said hate, not dislike. There is a difference. Wow.
Old 01-10-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
This is the type of crowd pleaser that hasn't won Oscars since the 80's/90's but still get nominated. Unless this somehow misses a nomination for BP it probably doesn't effect the end result as the race was already btwn Klansmen,Roma and ASIB
Million Dollar Baby - 2004
Crash - 2005
Slumdog Millionaire - 2007
The King's Speech - 2010
Old 01-11-19, 09:41 AM

Nick Vallelonga has apologized for his tweet from 2015 that agreed with Donald Trump's claim that Muslims in Jersey City cheered when the World Trade Center towers came down on 9/11.

“I want to apologize," said the Green Book writer in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "I spent my life trying to bring this story of overcoming differences and finding common ground to the screen, and I am incredibly sorry to everyone associated with Green Book."

He added, "I especially deeply apologize to the brilliant and kind Mahershala Ali, and all members of the Muslim faith, for the hurt I have caused. I am also sorry to my late father who changed so much from Dr. Shirley’s friendship and I promise this lesson is not lost on me. Green Book is a story about love, acceptance and overcoming barriers, and I will do better.”

Participant Media, which co-financed and produced Green Book, shared the following statement: "We find Mr. Vallelonga’s Twitter post offensive, dangerous, and antithetical to Participant Media’s values. We reject it in no uncertain terms."

Controversies for the film's team continue to grow after Green Book director Peter Farrelly came under scrutiny on Wednesday when film website The Cut uncovered a 1998 Newsweek article that described how he used to flash his genitals as a joke.

At the 2019 Golden Globes, co-writers Vallelonga, Farrelly and Brian Hayes Currie were awarded best screenplay and the film picked up three awards in total.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...qSGp7zcbmDKS5g

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.