Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Boba: A Star Wars Story

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Boba: A Star Wars Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Star Wars Anthology: Untitled Boba Fett Film (TBD)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm talking about his methods, his character, his mentality, etc.

Also remember that the clones were grown to that stage. This guy has actually had a life to development in.
At this point it's so fucking negligible it wouldn't even matter. Not to me anyway. They would have to reboot the character completely. That's the reason why Dredd works.
Old 10-12-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ardathbey
The new novel, Star Wars Aftermath might have a hint in it:

Spoiler:
There is an interlude chapter set on Tatooine where someone is on a Jawa sandcrawler, and he finds Mandalorian armor with acid marks on it. So maybe the OT's Boba is dead, and someone new takes on the armor and name.
I'd be down for that. Set slightly post OT but before the ST. I don't mind him not having his helmet on for the whole movie if the role requires some personality
Old 10-12-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Is that even possible?
Not a fan of Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, and David Prowse?
Old 10-12-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by ardathbey
The new novel, Star Wars Aftermath might have a hint in it:

Spoiler:
There is an interlude chapter set on Tatooine where someone is on a Jawa sandcrawler, and he finds Mandalorian armor with acid marks on it. So maybe the OT's Boba is dead, and someone new takes on the armor and name.
Spoiler:
I don't really know how I'd feel about that in all honesty. I know Boba didn't do a whole lot in the Original Trilogy but if he gets brought back I'd rather it not be someone new donning the armor and taking on his name. Besides isn't the canon that he survived the Sarlacc Pit? In that case I don't see a reason to change the character.
Old 10-12-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Besides isn't the canon that he survived the Sarlacc Pit?
That happened in the Expanded Universe; only the live action films, and the Clone Wars and Rebels TV series are considered absolutely canon. The EU was a lower level of continuity that was supposed to remain consistent with itself but could be overridden by Lucas at any time (for instance C'baoth and his clone army are incompatible with the prequels). In any case, Disney wiped out the EU when they bought the franchise, so all the comics, novels and video games written in the last thirty years have been relegated to an alternate continuity.
Old 10-12-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Right but wasn't there a story fairly recently about Disney making Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc Pit canon? I swear I remember reading that.
Old 05-24-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Boba: A Star Wars Story (Mangold)

MAY 24, 2018 3:03pm PT by Borys Kit

'Star Wars': Boba Fett Movie in the Works With James Mangold (Exclusive)

Lucasfilm is developing movies on a slew of characters, including Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The hunt is on.

James Mangold is writing and will direct a Star Wars standalone movie centered on Boba Fett, the feared bounty hunter and fan favorite character, The Hollywood Reporter has exclusively learned.

The reveal comes as Disney and Disney-owned Lucasfilm prepare the release of the latest Star Wars standalone movie, Solo: A Star Wars Story. Solo, which opens Friday, is the second movie to be spun from the main Star Wars line — Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was the first — but it is the first to focus on a particular character.

Lucasfilm is developing movies on a slew of characters including Obi-Wan Kenobi, which has Stephen Daldry in negotiations to direct although no writers working on a script.

It was rumored that Simon Kinberg, the writer-producer behind the X-Men franchise and movies such as The Martian, was working on a Fett movie. It is unclear if the two projects are the same. Kinberg and Mangold are close, however, and the two worked on Logan, the X-Men spinoff that earned high praise last year.

Boba Fett was introduced in 1980’s Empire Strikes Back and then appeared in 1983’s Return of the Jedi as the silent but armor-clad mercenary who brings Han Solo to the slug-like crime lord Jabba the Hutt. Despite having a helmet over his face, no lines and a very limited screen appearance that ended in his death, the character, with his jet pack and battle-scared armor, grew to cult status.

The George Lucas prequels showed his origin as a subplot but more importantly, his escapades were featured in various books, comics, animated series, video games and merchandizing. Jeremy Bulloch inhabited the character in the initial movies.

Details for the Boba Fett storyline are being kept deep in the Sarlacc Pit.

Mangold last year brought prestige to the super hero genre with Logan, which he co-wrote and directed; the movie was produced by Kinberg. The X-Men standalone featuring Wolverine earned him plaudits as well as an Oscar nomination for best adapted screenplay.

The writer-director, who also counts Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line, Tom Cruise action movie Knight and Day, and Western 3:10 to Yuma among his credits, is prepping to step behind the camera this summer for a Ford vs Ferrari drama for Fox.

Mangold is repped by WME, Management 360 and Sloane Offer.
Old 05-24-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Boba: A Star Wars Story (Mangold)

I've never understood the fan fare Boba Fett gets, but I could be interested in seeing this. I didnt want to see Solo but the ads make it look great so I'll give all the "story" films a try. If done right it could be a really cool backstory movie. I remember reading some of the books and comics that featured him and if they adapt any of that into the story it could make for a great popcorn flick.
Old 05-24-18, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Oh fuck off Disney.
Old 05-24-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Eh, maybe it's just because I'm not a HUGE SW-nerd, I just enjoy the movies and my entry into the franchise was the prequel trilogy in the early 00's; but I totally didn't know who Boba was without looking him up just now to remember his small part in one film. Obviously haven't seen the Solo film yet, which seems to have given him a bigger role maybe? But yeah... I don't get why we need or should want a film dedicated to a character that had some tiny non-dialogue role and died in the original trilogy.
Old 05-24-18, 06:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Eh, maybe it's just because I'm not a HUGE SW-nerd, I just enjoy the movies and my entry into the franchise was the prequel trilogy in the early 00's; but I totally didn't know who Boba was without looking him up just now to remember his small part in one film. Obviously haven't seen the Solo film yet, which seems to have given him a bigger role maybe? But yeah... I don't get why we need or should want a film dedicated to a character that had some tiny non-dialogue role and died in the original trilogy.
If you don’t get it then you don’t get Star Wars. He’s a fan favorite.
Old 05-24-18, 06:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Still not a viable reason to make movies on every damn fan favorite. This is quickly becoming overkill.
Old 05-24-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Round
I've never understood the fan fare Boba Fett gets.
Me neither.

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Oh fuck off Disney.
Agreed.
Boba was given a lot of time in Attack of the Clones...enough already.
Old 05-24-18, 06:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Not to mention his dumb ass kid.
Old 05-24-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
re: Boba: A Star Wars Story

They're going to run this shit into the ground aren't they.
Old 05-24-18, 06:59 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Yes it will be run into the ground. I’m not sure why this is surprising. The plan was always that they would have a new film every year. I wouldn’t be surprised if they started doing two a year. One in May and one in a December.

I have no desire to see more Boba Fett though. AotC killed that.

Last edited by dex14; 05-24-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby
Boba Fett originally appeared in The Holiday Special animated segment and became a fan-favorite character after Empire. Don't overthink it. He was a bounty hunter and kids thought he looked cool. He was masked and mysterious, like Vader.

Any coolness that he may have had pretty much disappeared with the prequel movies, though.
Old 05-24-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm a bit confused here as all I heard after the release of TLJ from Disney was the phrase 'Kill the Past' which was a metaphor for the movie and the future of the franchise. They wanted to tear everything down to keep things fresh for the future.

So we have Solo that comes out this weekend, Episode 9, a Kenobi movie and a Boba Fett movie? Where does kill the past come in from that future release schedule? Sounds like they are playing safe as can be.
Old 05-24-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
If you don’t get it then you don’t get Star Wars. He’s a fan favorite.
My experience with spin-offs/sidestories featuring "fan-favorite" characters as the MC has always came out negative. Though most of that experience has dealt with anime doing so, but still. It tends to end up rather poor and ruins the character in the fans eye.

I can totally get behind the idea of making movies based on popular characters that actually had important roles in the story such as Han Solo, but a character that had no dialogue and appeared in like one scene? What's next, we're gonna get a movie about the guy Han Solo shot in a bar?

To say "I don't get Star Wars" just because I don't understand why such a minor character needed his own movie just because he was a fan-favorite is kind of silly. Fan favorite or not, making a movie about such a minor character is rather pushing it on the milking-the-franchise spectrum. Though I did say I wasn't one of the "huge SW fans", I just enjoy the movies as a regular movie watcher.

But we are getting a TV series based around Batman's butler, so I guess "milking-to-the-extreme" is to be expected these days.

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Boba Fett originally appeared in The Holiday Special animated segment and became a fan-favorite character after Empire. Don't overthink it. He was a bounty hunter and kids thought he looked cool. He was masked and mysterious, like Vader.

Any coolness that he may have had pretty much disappeared with the prequel movies, though.
Ah, alright, thanks for more insight into the character. I guess I need to look up this Holiday special.

Last edited by Koby; 05-24-18 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I see Mangold as another director who will likely leave the project due to creative differences. Sorry but the leadership needs to change at Lucasfilm.
Old 05-24-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I see Mangold as another director who will likely leave the project due to creative differences. Sorry but the leadership needs to change at Lucasfilm.
Exactly. At this point, Kathleen Kennedy and her "committee" might as well just direct the movies themselves...Still won't watch the Solo movie cause of how she dismissed the previous directors...Who made one of the funniest comedies of the last ten years in 21 Jump Street...If she wants all of the movies to essentially be the same and have no directorial input, then she and the rest of the producers should just hire some hack and tell them how to shoot the movie...

BTW, I obviously hated The Last Jedi...And didn't much care for The Force Awakens...

Maybe Lucasfilm should try and follow the Marvel model (which doesn't always work; i.e. Adam McKay being fired from Ant-Man...which still turned out to be a damn good and funny movie), and hire talented filmmakers (usually) and let them give their input. Kenneth Branagh, Ryan Coogler, James Gunn...I can't see Lucasfilm letting any of those filmmakers anywhere near their movies...Like, can you even imagine them allowing Edgar Wright to make a Star Wars movie? I can't...

I almost get the impression that anytime the filmmakers want to do something dramatic like kill off a character or have one's motives reversed, they have to sit around a boardroom table for eight hours while they argue how this might annoy this demographic or that demographic, or how it might affect toy/merchandise sales...It just seems those movies are made by committees...

Last edited by Goonies85; 05-24-18 at 07:50 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 05-24-18, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Exactly. At this point, Kathleen Kennedy and her "committee" might as well just direct the movies themselves...Still won't watch the Solo movie cause of how she dismissed the previous directors...Who made one of the funniest comedies of the last ten years in 21 Jump Street...If she wants all of the movies to essentially be the same and have no directorial input, then she and the rest of the producers should just hire some hack and tell them how to shoot the movie...

BTW, I obviously hated The Last Jedi...And didn't much care for The Force Awakens...

Maybe Lucasfilm should try and follow the Marvel model (which doesn't always work; i.e. Adam McKay being fired from Ant-Man...which still turned out to be a damn good and funny movie), and hire talented filmmakers (usually) and let them give their input. Kenneth Branagh, Ryan Coogler, James Gunn...I can't see Lucasfilm letting any of those filmmakers anywhere near their movies...
Adam McKay wasn’t fired. Edgar Wright was the one who left Ant-Man.
Old 05-24-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Adam McKay wasn’t fired. Edgar Wright was the one who left Ant-Man.
I stand corrected. You are right, friend. Totally got them mixed up...Didn't McKay write some of the script? That may be where I got confused...
Old 05-24-18, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I stand corrected. You are right, friend. Totally got them mixed up...Didn't McKay write some of the script? That may be where I got confused...
Yes. Him and Rudd worked on it together.
Old 05-24-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Real tired at all the looking backward. Evolve this franchise already.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.