Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.15%
13.85%
47.69%
16.92%
10.77%
1.54%
3.08%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 09:36 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

i just saw the first again and it is just so enjoyable. hadn't seen it since theater whenever, but still fun. looking forward to this tomorrow night...
Old 05-20-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I wasn't wild about it. Liked the trialers more than the movie. Had some funny bits but didn't really care for it as a whole. Didn't really understand this Cable character at all. And yeah the heavy kid was just annoying. Loved Domino though.
I felt like Cable was underdeveloped most of the movie. I get his motivation but I don’t feel like the film set it up the best. He only really gets interesting during the finale sequence.
Old 05-20-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

The whole Cable character was something that I felt was a bit inside. As someone who has been reading X-comics for a while and is familiar with the character, I thought it was done rather well. But I could totally understand how someone wouldn't understand.
Old 05-20-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m admittedly not the most versed on Deadpool, Cable, and the X-Men compared with other heroes, but I know enough of the backstory. I just felt like it was sloppily handled and I even overheard people in the theater asking who that is and seemed a bit confused by him.

I think the movie had too many subplots. I mean you had Deadpool and his story with Vanessa and not being able to die, Deadpool and the kid, Cable and the kid, Deadpool being an X-Men trainee, Deadpool and X-Force. It felt like a lot going on and not one thing really focused.

The film has a lot of good moments and funny Deadpool stuff but it felt like too much. I liked it enough but it’s far from perfect and the first is better in my opinion.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-20-18 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The meta-comic book/cinematic universe jokes and barbs aimed at DC/Marvel/Fox franchises were the only things that raised this movie from okay to pretty good for me. I will admit, my single favorite LOL scene was the “death of Wolverine” music box. Otherwise, this was almost too “clever” for its own good.
Old 05-20-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It was interesting that they glossed over more of Cable's back story. I really thought there would be some sort of reference to being Cyclops' kid.
Old 05-20-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I feel differently than most of you guys. I just rewatched the first one last night and I still think it’s a great flick but, I thought this one was bigger and better. It was hilarious thorough out and had so many inside jokes. I get if you’re not as well versed maybe you wouldn’t care as much about it. Somehow I went into this with no expectations. It really is the best way to watch a movie.
Old 05-20-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It was interesting that they glossed over more of Cable's back story. I really thought there would be some sort of reference to being Cyclops' kid.
Unless they save most of that for the X-Force film.
Old 05-20-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I didn’t think it was really needed. Cyclops and the X-Men have mostly gone unmentioned in the Deadpool films and there wouldn’t be a real frame of reference for it other than maybe from Colossus.
Old 05-20-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I didn’t think it was really needed. Cyclops and the X-Men have mostly gone unmentioned in the Deadpool films and there wouldn’t be a real frame of reference for it other than maybe from Colossus.
In a movie filled with references to all sorts of random things, seems like it would have been an easy joke or throwaway comment to include. Not much different from Juggernaut musing about his helmet and his brother Professor X.
Old 05-20-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In a movie filled with references to all sorts of random things, seems like it would have been an easy joke or throwaway comment to include. Not much different from Juggernaut musing about his helmet and his brother Professor X.
Yeah I get it. I think that’s an easier reference to make though because everyone in that universe knows Professor X and there’s pretty definitive takes on the character that the audience does too. I’d argue that Cyclops has been handled fairly poorly and despite being a major character may not be as recognizable to audiences from his movie appearances.
Old 05-20-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw it today and had a blast. So many great jokes and one-liners. I love Interview With the Vampire and never imagined it would get joked about in a movie like this.
Old 05-20-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Stan Lee couldn't shoot a cameo for this? I guess they wasted him for the teaser.
Old 05-20-18, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I liked it, mostly because of Domino, Cable and Juggernaut. Deadpool 2 shows how shitty X-Men Last Stand's Juggy was, with the cheap looking costume and bullshit dialogue. We finally got a pretty good Colossus vs Juggernaut fight!
Old 05-20-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I get it. I think that’s an easier reference to make though because everyone in that universe knows Professor X and there’s pretty definitive takes on the character that the audience does too. I’d argue that Cyclops has been handled fairly poorly and despite being a major character may not be as recognizable to audiences from his movie appearances.
I don't see how that matters, as i'm sure the majority of the audience wouldn't even know he was referencing Xavier there. Or hell, most of the random comic book references littered throughout.

Anyway, not a big deal just surprised there wasn't even a throwaway line about it. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some random scene or line somewhere on the cutting room floor that mentions the relationship.
Old 05-20-18, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I’m shocked at the lamenting here over Cable not having more of a backstory. While he is a cool character, for all intents and purposes he really was nothing more than The Terminator — a time traveler sent back to save the future. He wasn’t here to be the main character, to build any emotional connection, or to tie any threads together from other films. For his purpose here, he didn’t need any X-plaining. He was really just deus X-machina.

I understand wanting more Cable, but it seems many people misunderstood his character’s purpose to the film.
Old 05-20-18, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I’m shocked at the lamenting here over Cable not having more of a backstory. While he is a cool character, for all intents and purposes he really was nothing more than The Terminator — a time traveler sent back to save the future. He wasn’t here to be the main character, to build any emotional connection, or to tie any threads together from other films. For his purpose here, he didn’t need any X-plaining. He was really just deus X-machina.

I understand wanting more Cable, but it seems many people misunderstood his character’s purpose to the film.

What you did there, I see it.

#Xcelsior
Old 05-20-18, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Yup, "hey big guy...sun's going down real low..." still laughing every time I think of that and it's two hours later.
Yeah, I LOLed on that too.........the first two times I heard it in Ragnarok.
Old 05-21-18, 09:36 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old 05-21-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I loved it!, it was funny, action packed, and the story was more interesting than the first one. To me this was a step up. This is one of the few superhero movie I would recommend to people who don't really like superhero movies.
Old 05-21-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this yesterday. I liked it but I think the original was a much better movie. This one started out pretty fun until he got to the X-Mansion, then it just dragged until the part where they were starting to form X-Force. The parachute scene easily made the movie for me. But I thought the kid was pretty bad and not really able to carry the story, and I was disappointed in the finale.

But there is a lot of good stuff here. I liked Domino(though I really wish the actress had a different hairstyle in real life and in this) I liked the presence of Cable, and I thought Reynolds was great. The action was good. There is a lot of great pieces in this but they just dont come together all the way because of a weak script.

3/5 or B
Old 05-21-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Wow lots to digest in this one!! This is an absolutely a must see!! I will need to see it again so fast with the quick wit I am sure I missed a ton.

I put this on par with the first that for me gets more enjoyable the more I see it.
Old 05-21-18, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Deadpool 2...sometimes they say bigger isn't always better. this is quite the exception. i think i liked this more than first. giggled like a school girl throughout and that it had some deep, warm moments made it that more memorable, of course they were few and far between, but worked. loved it all. the gags, the references, the violence, the mayhem, the banter between characters, all of it clicked and worked well. they took the first and continued in exact same tradition, with the exception of the heart. it was all real well done and Ryan Reynolds is so perfect in this role. that X-Men scene in the mansion was priceless and DP signing Ryan Reynolds, the Thanos remark, the death of most of X-Force in a blink, the DC Universe comment, all so well done...

Old 05-21-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Fun movie. I was entertained.

But the comedy, line delivery, and anarchic spirit of the first one was replaced by heavy-handed obviousness. The zing was missing. The 4th-Wall Breaking Silliness, which seemed effortless in the first, was much more labored and less successful.

The kid was pretty terrible (mails on a chalkboard bad). I wish we got to know more about Cable as well.

But still overall successful. The X-Force Attacks sequence was pretty damn epic.

3.25 out of 5 for me, rounded up to 3.5 because fun.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-22-18 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I loved this. I thought it was waaaay better than the first. Infact as far as comic book movies go I'd rank this Top 10 all-time. I liked everything about it. Finally we got the Colossus/Juggernaut fight they fucked up not putting in X Men 3. Except we got it in a better movie with a better Colossus and a better Juggernaut. Almost all of the jokes hit. The references were great, the cameo's were great. The post credit scenes were spot on. I'm happy fellow Vancouverite Ryan Reynolds has finally found his signature role and seems to really know what his bread and butter is as an actor. I really hope the Deadpool movies and characters (and X Men as well tbh) never find their way into the MCU (even though the MCU is on a record 2 movie roll with me), they would find a way to make it bland. Anyhow excellent movie. 4.25/5

PS the shot of the X Men was so brief the only ones I clearly remember seeing was Professor X and of course Beast. Who else was there?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.