Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 10:24 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Ro9ebQxEOY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After David Kim (John Cho)’s 16-year-old daughter goes missing, a local investigation is opened and a detective is assigned to the case. But 37 hours later and without a single lead, David decides to search the one place no one has looked yet, where all secrets are kept today: his daughter’s laptop. In a hyper-modern thriller told via the technology devices we use every day to communicate, David must trace his daughter’s digital footprints before she disappears forever.

Directed by: Aneesh Chaganty
Written by: Aneesh Chaganty & Sev Ohanian
Produced by: Timur Bekmambetov, Sev Ohanian, Adam Sidman, Natalie Qasabian
Cast: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La
Lots of positive reviews for this one at Sundance this year: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/searching_2018
Old 07-28-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

I just saw the trailer for this prior to seeing Unfriended: Dark Web last week.

Theme and style are very similar, especially since the one also looks like it's set from the computer POV.

I'm interested when this comes out. And it looks like it's coming out next Friday. Hopefully it's playing near me and I can make use of my last month on Movie Pass.
Old 07-28-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

Very intrigued when I saw the trailer many weeks ago.
Old 07-28-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw this on Monday. Decent movie, nothing mind blowing. The concept is really well done, and there's a sequence that rivals Up's opening. Wasn't crazy about certain aspects, but i'll stay quiet on those till more people see it.
Old 07-29-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Trailer definitely has me interested.

More Found Footage Films!
Old 07-30-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The Trailer definitely has me interested.

More Found Footage Films!
I guess technically this isn't found footage because everything is happening in the present, nobody is recording stuff that is found later.
Old 07-30-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sauce07
I guess technically this isn't found footage because everything is happening in the present, nobody is recording stuff that is found later.
I can understand that.

The Horror Site/Group that I write for places films setup this way (like The Den or both Unfriended films) into the Found Footage sub-genre, so I think I'm used to labeling them that way.

Found Footage Critic also places them into the sub-genre.

Last edited by asianxcore; 07-30-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I was contemplating seeing it soon, but couldn't find any showtimes for it. I had no idea it got pushed back to the 24th.
Old 08-05-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw a trailer for this months ago somewhere and it looked really intriguing. I like John Cho, interesting to see him do something more dramatic.
Old 08-22-18, 06:25 AM

This opens limited this week and goes wide next.

Currently 87% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/searching_2018
Old 08-30-18, 10:47 AM

Opens wide this week. It is now at 93% on RT.

I'm either going to try and check it out tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-30-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Caught this last night and it's very well executed with the format/style it chose to tell the story. The twist at the end was.. interesting.
Old 08-30-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Seeing this tonight at AMC. Already reserved my seat. Was originally going to AMC this afternoon to see Iron Man in IMAX, but I thought about it and decided I'd rather see something new today instead. So I cancelled Iron Man. No big deal, I own the DVD and BD at home.
Old 08-30-18, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Caught this last night and it's very well executed with the format/style it chose to tell the story. The twist at the end was.. interesting.
Just saw it and I agree. This was great and well executed. Way better than something like Unfriended. I'll admit, based on the trailer, I wasn't convinced it would be that great, but it really works when you are watching it.

Regarding the ending, I didn't call the twist, but I was suspicious
Spoiler:
the entire movie of the detective. The reason being I never bought that a detective would interact with a parent in an investigation like that, calling on the phone before meeting, Facetime calls, etc.

John Cho was also extremely good in this. Between this and Columbus, he needs to start getting some bigger leading roles.
Old 08-30-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Regarding the ending, I didn't call the twist, but I was suspicious
Spoiler:
the entire movie of the detective. The reason being I never bought that a detective would interact with a parent in an investigation like that, calling on the phone before meeting, Facetime calls, etc.
Spoiler:
I was trying to recall if he came across Vick's son in his social media investigation of Margot and that Vick never mentioned they went to school together. A friend wondered how he got the Deputy Sheriffs to buy into his story minutes before Margot's service. I said "cuz he's Asian and has an uncanny attention to detail."

Also, how did she convince the ex-con to come up with his 'confession' and suicide?
Old 08-30-18, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Spoiler:
I was trying to recall if he came across Vick's son in his social media investigation of Margot and that Vick never mentioned they went to school together. A friend wondered how he got the Deputy Sheriffs to buy into his story minutes before Margot's service. I said "cuz he's Asian and has an uncanny attention to detail."

Also, how did she convince the ex-con to come up with his 'confession' and suicide?
Spoiler:
During her investigation the detective says she drugged the confession out of him. And implied that she killed him.
Old 08-31-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Very intense and some very unexpected twists and turns.

Probably if not one of John Cho’s best performances.

And while I enjoyed Unfriended and it’s sequel to an extent, I thought this was executed so well and much more believable using the interfaces of a PC and MAC.
Old 08-31-18, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I haven't seen the Unfriended movies, I did hear an interview with the director of the sequel. He mentioned how much time they put into having the mouse "act" realistically, we don't move it in perfectly straight lines only when we are wanting to click on something. I feel like that's only thing this movie didn't do right, the mouse was very robotic.

Last edited by sauce07; 09-01-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-31-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Really enjoyed this film. Very well done.
Old 09-01-18, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Spoiler:
when the funeral streaming service made its second appearence I knew something was up and for a couple minutes after the second picture of the redhead was revealed I thought that whoever owned the funeral service company elaborately plotted a sensational missing teen/murder story in order to get massive publicity for their business. I'm glad that wasn't the case.

also

Spoiler:
did anyone else notice the picture of the family standing in front of the highschool at the beginning with the sign that said "home of the catfish". It stuck out like a sore thumb for me. Some pretty obvious foreshadowing

I thought the film was excellent btw.
Old 09-01-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm really hoping to catch this over the weekend. I wanted to Friday night, but was too tired for a 10 PM showing.
Old 09-02-18, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Spoiler:
did anyone else notice the picture of the family standing in front of the highschool at the beginning with the sign that said "home of the catfish". It stuck out like a sore thumb for me. Some pretty obvious foreshadowing
Yup!

There's also a moment when David first looks through his daughter's Facebook messages and
Spoiler:
one of her friends is messaging about M. Night Shyamalan.
Old 09-02-18, 05:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Huh. Saw the trailer and thought it looked like crap. Surprised by the love for it here, and trust you all, so I’ll moviepass it tonight.
Old 09-02-18, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Huh. Saw the trailer and thought it looked like crap. Surprised by the love for it here, and trust you all, so I’ll moviepass it tonight.
I thought the trailer wasn’t very good either. It doesn’t do the film justice.
Old 09-03-18, 08:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I thought the trailer wasn’t very good either. It doesn’t do the film justice.
Yep, too disjointed perhaps, or not enough done to sell the high emotions maybe. But anyway, glad I ignored the trailer, listened to you all, and went to see it last night.

John Cho was amazing, and despite some initial hesitation, I eventually bought all the way in on the unique format. Having a 16 year old daughter, the emotion of it hit home a couple times and I welled up a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.