Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

I watched a late showing last night and absolutely loved it. One of my favorite movies of the year, and I can't remember the last time a movie had me on the edge of my seat anticipating how things unfolded. There were probably 3 or 4 genuine shocks as clues turned to red herrings or false leads. I really enjoyed the realistic use of computers, as everything David did also felt like something I would do, following the clues and trails from one website to another as well as the use of social media and casting today.

Spoiler:
There were a few actions, or inactions, by the police that started to bother me throughout the movie such as their reliance on David on finding links to his Daughter's whereabouts, search history, social media accounts, etc so finding out that Vick was responsible for the investigation and lied about various things along the way made sense. I'm so glad it wasn't David's brother doing something creepy to Margot either.

Also, that intro with the mom was heartbreaking. Especially watching that calendar entry move and get deleted.

Compared to Crazy Rich Asians, which draw obvious attention to the ethnicity of the cast and as a pivotal role to the movie, it was nice to see the Kim family depicted without needing to draw attention to their race and John Cho as the leading man. Reminds me of the #StarringJohnCho hashtag from a couple years back.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-04-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 08:51 AM

Received 4,614 Likes on 3,127 Posts
Re: Searching (2018, D: Chaganty) S: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee, Michelle La

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yep, too disjointed perhaps, or not enough done to sell the high emotions maybe. But anyway, glad I ignored the trailer, listened to you all, and went to see it last night.

John Cho was amazing, and despite some initial hesitation, I eventually bought all the way in on the unique format. Having a 16 year old daughter, the emotion of it hit home a couple times and I welled up a bit.
Old 09-04-18, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John Cho was great. I'd never seen him in anything before but now I feel like checking out other movies he's been in. As for the plot, I felt like it was a bit predictable. By the time his character found out who was really involved, I was like "yeah I saw that coming."
Old 09-06-18, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by kristina
John Cho was great. I'd never seen him in anything before but now I feel like checking out other movies he's been in.
Old 09-06-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 538 Posts

Old 09-06-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I really want to check out Columbus that dex mentioned. Reviews seem really positive. Anyone know if it's streaming anywhere?
Old 09-06-18, 11:22 AM

Received 4,614 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I really want to check out Columbus that dex mentioned. Reviews seem really positive. Anyone know if it's streaming anywhere?
Hulu.
Old 09-06-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Hulu.
Poop. I don't subscribe Maybe i'll just rent it off Amazon for $5.
Old 09-15-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 432 Posts

9 out of 10 for me. This was an engrossing thriller with some truly gripping moments. I thought the format would be a turnoff, but they made some imaginative and creative choices on how to tell this particular story. Definitely a highlight of the summer (along with Hereditary, BlacKkKlansman, and MI: Fallout).
Old 09-16-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Saw this today. Thought the beginning was exceptionally well done, and really tragic. It was really consistent. My only issue is since I knew there was a "twist" it was pretty easy to figure it out since the clues were so consistent with the final twist. Still it was really a gripping movie. My only change would have been that the epilogue should have been filmed normally.
Old 09-17-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Great suspenseful movie, and the 'through the net' style seemed realistic and immersive. Although sometimes it's harder for me to log into my own damn accounts.

I too thought
Spoiler:
either drum-up-business for the online memorial site, or drum-up-career for the detective

I noticed both
Spoiler:
Home of the Catfish and "Fish and Chips" which were a little obvious but I was off on who was doing it and why

I like the fact that after knowing the ending, in retrospect the clues are there. It's not like "The solution is X!" when X wasn't in the movie at all, or not till the last nine minutes or something.

Oh, and it's one thing for
Spoiler:
Uncle to provide for his niece, lots of families probably have a "cool uncle" who might do something like that, but not to come clean after she's missing? Jerk.

The calendar - yeah that was sad

There were multiple gasps and "oohhhh..." in the theater at certain points in the movie, so it was obviously quite engrossing to many.
Old 10-11-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

I finally got around to this and it was pretty fucking cool. I did not necessarily care about the ending, but the continuous ups and downs had me saying "oh shit" a lot.

Glad I got to see it before it leaves theaters for good.
Old 10-11-18, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After watching "Searching", I asked myself if the film would have worked if it had been shot conventionally (i.e. not through Internet/PC/cell phone screens), and if the storyline would have survived the "gimmick".

It would have. But the gimmick made it that much more compelling. Great movie.
Old 10-11-18, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

pecker
Old 10-12-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Great movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought early on that
Spoiler:
the brother was involved some how. Glad it wasn't what I thought, though I can't believe I didn't put it together that he was just her pot supplier, I mean hell they showed it early on, haha.

Usually not a fan of movies shot in unconventional ways such as "found footage", etc.. But I think they did a nice job with how they managed to pull it off with this one in a way that just worked nicely and added to the movie themes.
Old 12-03-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
9 out of 10 for me. This was an engrossing thriller with some truly gripping moments. I thought the format would be a turnoff, but they made some imaginative and creative choices on how to tell this particular story. Definitely a highlight of the summer (along with Hereditary, BlacKkKlansman, and MI: Fallout).
Agree with everything you said. Well, save for "BlacKkKlansman". I finally saw that this week and it was good, not great IMO. But this was truly an edge of your seat experience. And I too thought the format would not work for a whole movie. But it worked beautifully. This was every parent's worst nightmare. And the best ID Channel "Dateline" ever made.
Old 12-04-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Agreed, it's an excellent suspenser, but the ending strained credulity. An equally good movie in the same vein (only viewed online) is 2013's The Den.
Old 01-29-19, 09:03 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This movie was great !

Really enjoyed it, the computer stuff was done in a good fluid way.

John Cho as always was brilliant

And i did tear up at the end
Old 01-29-19, 09:39 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I will say one thing though

This movie will NOT age well
Old 01-30-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 631 Likes on 465 Posts

Saw this very recently too. Very timely, but agreed it won't age well. At least they showed existing technology being used accurately, for the most part, but then most movies, especially thrillers, built around existing contemporary tech usually don't age well, but I suppose they live on as interesting time capsules for those who were there. This show only really frustrated me when seemingly everyone, including the media, so readily accepted that Michelle La's character was presumed dead based on a ridiculously flimsy confession/suicide video. That surfaces and everybody's like "welp, let's wrap 'er up!" No police detective worth their salt (such as all the ones shown working the scene of the car extraction and/or surrounding Messing during her press conference, since she's, you know . . .) would call a case essentially closed just because some supposedly bad hombre sez it is, and anyone watching that kind of a press conference on the news would be righteously outraged, which of course would mean a lot more scenes the writers/director probably had no time to shoot. They probably should've brought in outside help to get around that contrivance. The 'streaming memorial service' thing bugged me at first, but a search revealed that that's indeed a real thing, so consider me taught. Also, as a graphic designer I spotted the stock photo right off and knew it would come into play later on.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-30-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I watched it for a second time tonight, and while I still find it a riveting piece of cinema, and probably the best thriller of recent years, I had a better chance to tally up the plot holes.
First of all, you're right, Brian T, that the cops would not have declared her dead based solely on a confession, much less a confession of a guy who shortly thereafter "committed suicide". That entire stretch of scenes was faintly ridiculous.
Also:
Spoiler:

-Unless I missed something, the timeline doesn't work, and there's no way the daughter could have survived three weeks in the ravine. She was pushed into the ravine on 5/11, and the cop was arrested and gave her confession on 6/02, after which they found the girl alive; unless I'm missing something.
-Cho's character is an IT guy, or at least very well-versed in computers, so I don't know why he would confront as a suspect the face model whose stock photo was co-opted by "fish n' chips" for his avatar. She obviously had nothing to do with anything.
-Even today, or especially today, cops do not keep in such regular and eager contact with family members, so all of those breathless middle-of-the-night face-chats and phone calls between Vick and Cho were implausible at best.

I have to agree that this movie will not age well, but one can see it as an artifact of this awful "social media" era.