Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WARS IX

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: AVENGERS 4 or STAR WARS IX?
Avengers 4
68.67%
Star Wars IX
22.89%
Neither
8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WARS IX

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WAR

I'll go with Avengers over SW IX. Even though I don't like all the Marvel movies I feel they put a lot of effort into making them. Since the Star Wars prequels the attitude just seems to be that if they make a movie with Star Wars in the title people will come out to see it no matter how good it is.
Old 04-30-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WAR

Oh, this is an EASY question.

Even though I've seen hardly any of the (18?) movies the preceeded Infinity Wars and didn't know who about 1/5th of the heroes were NOR what much of the backstory was, I'd see Avengers 4 over and over again before seeing Star Wars 9 once.

There are three Star Wars films. What they're now calling IV, V and VI. And there's only one version of each of them in spite of Lucas' obsession with tinkering. The prequel trilogy was horrible, I can't believe I didn't walk out on Jar-Jar's Big Adventure, I suffered through #2 in spite of that brooding angst-filled cant-act-his-way-out-of-a-wet-paper-bag actor playing pre-Vader, and gave up mid-way through #3 to find something better to do... I think I had to mow the lawn. I got around to watching #7 (The Marketing Awakens) when I got a $2 digital copy from Hollar.com, and it and #8 were both full of so many characters that I just didn't care about that it was terribly difficult to invest in the movies at all. That plus the barely hidden PC agenda in #8 made it easy for me to just turn it off. I have no interest in #9. I may go see Solo, like I did with Rogue One, but as for #9 -- no. The series ended back when the Ewoks were dancing around the force ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Luke's Dad from the first (uh, IVth) movie.

So, I'd rather be confused and entertained (Avengers 4) than be hoping for something to return to greatness, knowing that it'll just disappoint me again (Star Wars 9)
Old 04-30-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Star Wars. Always and forever Star Wars.
What he said.
Old 04-30-18, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Star Wars
Old 04-30-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I couldn't give a flying fuck about either, so thanks for including that as an option.
Old 04-30-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I voted Star Wars. I really enjoy the Marvel movies but there have been so many in the last 10 years and so many to come. And they are interconnected. Good or not that good, Star Wars hasn't oversaturated itself. Yet.
Old 04-30-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I grew up with a room full of Kenner Star Wars toys, followed by DC's Super Powers toyline. I hated Marvel, mainly because that was what my brother loved. We had a friendly comic rivalry there.

Having said all of that, I'm more excited about Avengers 4 than Star Wars IX. I expect the former to be great, the latter to be disappointing.
Old 04-30-18, 10:27 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Star Wars. Obviously.

Note: When I type “star wars” autocorrect makes it Star Wars.

avenges and marvel? Nope.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-01-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

Im more interested to see where Episode 9 goes as Ive got a pretty good idea of what Avengers 4 will be just like I had a pretty good idea of what Avengers 3 would be. Episode 9 is a mystery.

If i could only see one though Im going Avengers as I go to these movies for a good time and the MCU is 19/19 on at least a good time. Star Wars is ehh 4.5/9 on a good day.
Old 05-02-18, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Avengers IV.

Easy choice. Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson effectively killed my interest in Star Wars IX with that abortion that was called The Last Jedi.

At this point, I don't even know if I'll see IX in the theater. Johnson left a godawful mess, and I don't think Abrams is the guy to clean it up, and I don't think Kennedy would let anyone else clean it up either, as this seems to be the direction she wants to take the saga.
This.

Marvel is the new Star Wars. Before TLJ I would have voted Star Wars. But now I've lost all faith in Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm and I see that I'm not alone in that sentiment. How they could not have hashed out a basic plot for a new trilogy in the most important movie franchise in history is just beyond disappointing.