Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Lady and the Tramp -- live action (2019, D: Bean)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Lady and the Tramp -- live action (2019, D: Bean)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Re: Disney's Lady and the Tramp -- live action (2019, D: Bean)

You can suspend your disbelief for the dogs acting like humans and eating spaghetti, but not so far as the humans serenading them?

I see the racist cats are out of the film.
Old 08-23-19, 07:03 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<iframe width="794" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A2ZDDU34gYw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-24-19, 12:24 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
You can suspend your disbelief for the dogs acting like humans and eating spaghetti, but not so far as the humans serenading them?

I see the racist cats are out of the film.
Exactly. It works in animation. It doesn’t work with live action.
Old 08-24-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Honestly Lady and the Tramp was always one of my least liked Disney flicks to begin with. I doubt I'd much care about this version of it which is pretty much guaranteed to be a lesser version than the original, but I'll be watching it regardless with my daughter.
Old 08-24-19, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

That Tramp looks scruffy and ugly in a way that the animated version just didn’t.
Old 08-24-19, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koby
Honestly Lady and the Tramp was always one of my least liked Disney flicks to begin with. I doubt I'd much care about this version of it which is pretty much guaranteed to be a lesser version than the original, but I'll be watching it regardless with my daughter.
It’s one of the very best films of the Walt Disney era.
Old 08-24-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife thinks it’s adorable. Guess we’re watching it....
Old 08-25-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

It’s one of the very best films of the Walt Disney era.
Rarely do I agree with my neighbor Mabuse, but he is 100% correct on this.
Old 08-25-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
So will every Disney cartoon get a live action remake now? if so I think it would be fun to see what could be done with Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
So when they run out of animated classics to turn into live action (Make Mine Music with a soundtrack by neo-Disney Channel stars, maybe?), will they start doing animated remakes of their live-action classics? I might be down for an animated Pollyanna or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I'll have to draw the line at The North Avenue Irregulars and The Boatniks.

I guess the big question is when will Disney give us something that hasn't already existed in another form? When will someone in that massively huge organization come up with an original idea for a movie, one that isn't linked to a classic Disney film or a current franchise?
Old 08-25-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rbrown498
So when they run out of animated classics to turn into live action (Make Mine Music with a soundtrack by neo-Disney Channel stars, maybe?), will they start doing animated remakes of their live-action classics? I might be down for an animated Pollyanna or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I'll have to draw the line at The North Avenue Irregulars and The Boatniks.

I guess the big question is when will Disney give us something that hasn't already existed in another form? When will someone in that massively huge organization come up with an original idea for a movie, one that isn't linked to a classic Disney film or a current franchise?
Are we talking about completely original, like not even based on another IP? IIRC the one they originally touted as being an animation original was Lion King and anime fans are still kind of suspicious about that claim.

Otherwise, we've gotten Frozen, Inside Out, Zootopia, Moana, Coco and others (I always forget about the Good Dinosaur) which includes both Pixar and non Pixar. We've also gotten a lot of sequels. But it's not like they aren't making original (animated) movies anymore.
Old 08-25-19, 09:17 PM

Are we talking about completely original, like not even based on another IP? IIRC the one they originally touted as being an animation original was Lion King and anime fans are still kind of suspicious about that claim.

Otherwise, we've gotten Frozen, Inside Out, Zootopia, Moana, Coco and others (I always forget about the Good Dinosaur) which includes both Pixar and non Pixar. We've also gotten a lot of sequels. But it's not like they aren't making original (animated) movies anymore.
I'm only talking the last two or three years, but I'll give you Zootopia and Moana. I wasn't counting Pixar stuff, but even if I had, they have become pretty self-cannibalizing of late. Coco has been their only feature in the past (almost) four years to not be a sequel.

I'm mainly complaining about Disney's lack of originality. If Disney were to announce tomorrow that they've got an animated version of Rumpelstiltskin coming out, I wouldn't have a problem with that, as it's new to the Disney universe. But the seemingly endless parade of live-action remakes that nobody asked for (as in, Dumbo), Star Wars cash-grabbing, and Marvel sequels has gotten to be tiring.

I'm obviously in the minority on this, because world box-office has proven me wrong on all of the above-mentioned franchises. But it just seems to me that, in Disney's quest for complete global domination, they've lost their heart...and become quite adept at churning out good-looking, but infuriatingly soulless, product.
Old 08-26-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
If he did, he’d die halfway through filming it.

Old 08-26-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're just completely wrong on that. They are always making new original movies at a rate almost on par with their vaunted Renaissance era.
Looking at the last 10 years:

Originals:
The Princess and the Frog
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Zootopia
Moana

Sequels:
Winnie the Pooh
Ralph Breaks the Internet

If you consider Pixar the sequel count does bump up.

Originals
Up
Brave
Inside Out
The Good Dinosaur
Coco

Sequels
Toy Story 3
Cars 2
Monsters University
Finding Dory
Cars3
Incredibles 2
Toy Story 4

Looking forward it looks even better because you have one sequel, Frozen 2 at Disney Animation and one original, Raya and the Last Dragon and two original movies from Pixar, Onward and Soul. So to say that Disney is not making original content is just completely wrong. They've released 12 wholly original animated movies out of the past 10 years (15 out of 11 if you count next year). Now to be fair they are producing a lot more content then they used to, way more than any other studio and if you take everything they are releasing into context then the percentage of it based on previous IP is high. The overall quality of their product is also objectively great based on both critical reception and box office.

I think it's really easy to bash Disney just because they are the top dog. I think people complaining about them as of late, forgot about the real cash grab era of direct to VHS sequels that nobody asked for. Cinderella 2? Pocahontas 2? Hunchback 2? The people are demanding these "real life" remakes based on the BO. IMHO one thing that's great about the remakes is that they leave the original wholly intact, unlike a half assed sequel that can completely change everything that happened in the original movie.

I'm only talking the last two or three years, but I'll give you Zootopia and Moana. I wasn't counting Pixar stuff, but even if I had, they have become pretty self-cannibalizing of late. Coco has been their only feature in the past (almost) four years to not be a sequel.

I'm mainly complaining about Disney's lack of originality. If Disney were to announce tomorrow that they've got an animated version of Rumpelstiltskin coming out, I wouldn't have a problem with that, as it's new to the Disney universe. But the seemingly endless parade of live-action remakes that nobody asked for (as in, Dumbo), Star Wars cash-grabbing, and Marvel sequels has gotten to be tiring.

I'm obviously in the minority on this, because world box-office has proven me wrong on all of the above-mentioned franchises. But it just seems to me that, in Disney's quest for complete global domination, they've lost their heart...and become quite adept at churning out good-looking, but infuriatingly soulless, product.
Moana, Inside Out, Up and Coco would like to have a word with you. And they are literally releasing a completely original movie called Soul next year.
Old 08-26-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s this was the exact complaint people had about Disney when they were churning out ridiculous direct-to-video sequels of their classics. Somewhere along the way they righted the ship. Now it feels like they’ve fallen right back into the rut with all their live-action remakes and soulless cash grab franchises.

If there’s one thing that can be said about Disney it’s that they know how to beat a dead horse of it means making a small fortune while doing it.
Old 08-27-19, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s this was the exact complaint people had about Disney when they were churning out ridiculous direct-to-video sequels of their classics. Somewhere along the way they righted the ship. Now it feels like they’ve fallen right back into the rut with all their live-action remakes and soulless cash grab franchises.

If there’s one thing that can be said about Disney it’s that they know how to beat a dead horse of it means making a small fortune while doing it.
Originally Posted by tanman
I think it's really easy to bash Disney just because they are the top dog. I think people complaining about them as of late, forgot about the real cash grab era of direct to VHS sequels that nobody asked for. Cinderella 2? Pocahontas 2? Hunchback 2? The people are demanding these "real life" remakes based on the BO. IMHO one thing that's great about the remakes is that they leave the original wholly intact, unlike a half assed sequel that can completely change everything that happened in the original movie.
What they are producing today isn't anywhere near as bad as when they churned out those direct to video sequels. Remember this was the company that considered making Toy Story 3 without Pixar and as a direct to video movie. The studio and the company as a whole is producing much better content.
Old 08-27-19, 12:47 PM
Banned

That was Toy Story 2.

Indeed, they’ve fallen back into the sequel, prequel, retread rut, but instead of it being cheap direct-to-video crap that very few people cared to purchase, rent, or watch, these new films are tent pole releases that make millions. I guess they were correct back in the ‘90s, they were just thinking too small.
Old 08-27-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was Toy Story 2.

Indeed, they’ve fallen back into the sequel, prequel, retread rut, but instead of it being cheap direct-to-video crap that very few people cared to purchase, rent, or watch, these new films are tent pole releases that make millions. I guess they were correct back in the ‘90s, they were just thinking too small.
I'm pretty sure the majority of those direct to home video releases made a ton of money relative to their budget. They aren't at all well regarded now but they sold to the home video market like hotcakes, took relatively little time to cobble together, and had a much smaller budget. It's not like the lower budget features have gone away either, they just make so much content now that they premiere on Disney Channel or whatever and are often live action.

I'm still amazed they made a big budget sequel to the Rescuers back in the day. I loved the Rescuers as a kid so I was excited but that seemed to kind of come out of nowhere.
Old 08-27-19, 04:29 PM

You're just completely wrong on that. They are always making new original movies at a rate almost on par with their vaunted Renaissance era.
Looking at the last 10 years:

Originals:
The Princess and the Frog
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Zootopia
Moana

Sequels:
Winnie the Pooh
Ralph Breaks the Internet

If you consider Pixar the sequel count does bump up.

Originals
Up
Brave
Inside Out
The Good Dinosaur
Coco

Sequels
Toy Story 3
Cars 2
Monsters University
Finding Dory
Cars3
Incredibles 2
Toy Story 4

Looking forward it looks even better because you have one sequel, Frozen 2 at Disney Animation and one original, Raya and the Last Dragon and two original movies from Pixar, Onward and Soul. So to say that Disney is not making original content is just completely wrong. They've released 12 wholly original animated movies out of the past 10 years (15 out of 11 if you count next year). Now to be fair they are producing a lot more content then they used to, way more than any other studio and if you take everything they are releasing into context then the percentage of it based on previous IP is high. The overall quality of their product is also objectively great based on both critical reception and box office.

Moana, Inside Out, Up and Coco would like to have a word with you. And they are literally releasing a completely original movie called Soul next year.
Yes, but you're going back ten years, and completely ignoring the Marvel and Star Wars arms of the company. I had no problem with any of them ten years ago; it's, as I said, the last two or three years that have seemed like a never-ending cash grab. I honestly can't remember the last time that I got excited about seeing anything that Disney in its various guises has released.

And I'm not bashing them because they're the top dog; I'm bashing them because they're making the movie equivalent of fast food--their products may look and taste good, but they have no nutritional value and a short shelf life.

One more thing--again, nobody except the Disney accountants has been asking for live-action remakes of their classic animated films. I haven't noticed any online petitions for Disney to make a live-action Snow White, Pinocchio, or The Aristocats. People are going to see these live-action remakes not out of pent-up desire that's finally been met, but simply out of name recognition and Disney's marketing prowess.

I guess that we'll just have to leave each other to our opinions, as neither of us is going to convince the other that he's right.
Old 08-27-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, but you're going back ten years, and completely ignoring the Marvel and Star Wars arms of the company. I had no problem with any of them ten years ago; it's, as I said, the last two or three years that have seemed like a never-ending cash grab. I honestly can't remember the last time that I got excited about seeing anything that Disney in its various guises has released.

And I'm not bashing them because they're the top dog; I'm bashing them because they're making the movie equivalent of fast food--their products may look and taste good, but they have no nutritional value and a short shelf life.

One more thing--again, nobody except the Disney accountants has been asking for live-action remakes of their classic animated films. I haven't noticed any online petitions for Disney to make a live-action Snow White, Pinocchio, or The Aristocats. People are going to see these live-action remakes not out of pent-up desire that's finally been met, but simply out of name recognition and Disney's marketing prowess.

I guess that we'll just have to leave each other to our opinions, as neither of us is going to convince the other that he's right.
I'm going to set aside the fact that 2-3 years is a ridiculously short amount of time to assess what a movie studio is outputting. Especially when it still takes years to produce any animated film. But yes you're right. If you only look at the past 2-3 years they have only released Moana, Coco, and Zootopia. Those are still very unique movies that created a brand new wholly original world. So that averages out to be one a year. That's still matching what they did during the Renaissance era of the 90's. And you're right about the company as a whole they are producing a lot of live action remakes and sequels. But where you're wrong is saying that they don't produce ANY original content anymore. That they don't have a soul. I'd argue that they are doing a great job in balancing giving what the people want in terms of sequels to existing IP and remakes with original content. What do online petitions have anything to do with audience desires? That makes no sense. People are voting with their dollars. Movies don't make a billion dollars out of just marketing and name recognition. You may think they just produce fast food equivalent movies but I don't see very many studios at all producing movies with the same level of artistry or cultural significance as Disney. I forsee Moana still being in the minds of little girls everywhere for decades to come and Coco was a Mexican cultural milestone. The biggest movie in Mexico of all time. One that really celebrates the religion and culture of that country. It's easy to dismiss them as kids movies but there is some real substance behind all the cutesy facade.
Old 08-27-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was Toy Story 2.

I'm pretty sure the majority of those direct to home video releases made a ton of money relative to their budget. They aren't at all well regarded now but they sold to the home video market like hotcakes, took relatively little time to cobble together, and had a much smaller budget. It's not like the lower budget features have gone away either, they just make so much content now that they premiere on Disney Channel or whatever and are often live action.

I'm still amazed they made a big budget sequel to the Rescuers back in the day. I loved the Rescuers as a kid so I was excited but that seemed to kind of come out of nowhere.
No it was Toy Story 3. Toy Story 2 was still under their initial 5 picture (not sure of the number) contract with Disney. It was after that that the negotiations were starting to sour and Disney started to work on Toy Story 3 without Pixar. Which was incredibly stupid.

I think that's the difference between the Disney of before and now. With the home video releases I would truly define those as a cash grab. They didn't care about the story or putting any money behind making them. Oftentimes they didn't even feature the principle cast from the original movie. Now it really seems like they aren't willing to make a sequel unless there is a real story worth telling. I had my doubts about Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 but those really told a brand new story with the same characters. It wasn't a typical kids movie sequel where they just do the same thing as they did with the first movie.
Old 08-27-19, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I don't think I ever watched the original animated version of Lady and the Tramp from start to finish. But, this new trailer looks cute. I know I'm not really in the target audience for this. But, I'll watch this along with the animated version when my Disney + subscription is officially activated. Probably not right away though. I think this might be a good feel good movie to watch towards Christmas.
Old 08-28-19, 12:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No it was Toy Story 3. Toy Story 2 was still under their initial 5 picture (not sure of the number) contract with Disney. It was after that that the negotiations were starting to sour and Disney started to work on Toy Story 3 without Pixar. Which was incredibly stupid.

I think that's the difference between the Disney of before and now. With the home video releases I would truly define those as a cash grab. They didn't care about the story or putting any money behind making them. Oftentimes they didn't even feature the principle cast from the original movie. Now it really seems like they aren't willing to make a sequel unless there is a real story worth telling. I had my doubts about Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 but those really told a brand new story with the same characters. It wasn't a typical kids movie sequel where they just do the same thing as they did with the first movie.
Actually it was both, Disney tried to do Toy Story 2 as a direct to video deal but once Pixar found out they said no we’ll just make it. Then with Toy Story 3, Disney said we don’t need you Pixar and they almost made it with that circle 7 animation group but then jobs and Disney worked it out and they made the Pixar Toy story 3.
Old 08-28-19, 11:05 AM
Banned

Thank you ^

It gets so tiring to be told you’re wrong when you’re right.
Old 08-28-19, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you ^

It gets so tiring to be told you’re wrong when you’re right.

Then we were both wrong and both right
Old 10-14-19, 07:59 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.