Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Pardon me for wishing to celebrate a person’s accomplishments and talent level rather than his/her melatonin levels or genetalia.
melanin*
Old 03-16-18, 01:19 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
No. And I’d rather he worked on a couple more 500 Days of Summerses than do a big stupid CGI fest.
You should watch Gifted with Chris Evans. It was pretty good... for that type of movie.
Old 03-16-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, Gifted was good for that kind of movie. The Only Living Boy in New York was not.
Old 03-16-18, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, Gifted was good for that kind of movie. The Only Living Boy in New York was not.
Agreed.
Old 03-16-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
melanin*
Gah! Combine my fat fingers, autocorrect, and not proof reading and we are suddenly celebrating drugs for sleeping.
Old 03-16-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So DC's still looking for that elusive Guardians of the Galaxy equivalent eh?

Instead of, I don't know, rebooting the fucking Justice League?

Only thing I know about the New Gods is what little of Orion I've read a loong time ago and the Supergirl storyline in the Superman/Batman comics a few years ago drawn by Michael Turner.

Meryl Streep for Granny Goodness!
Old 03-16-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Lets reference a film Mike loved! The Amazing Spider-Man 2.... Marc Webb only did 500 Days of Summer and some music videos before jumping into his first Spidey. Was he proven?
I didn’t love it I just liked certain elements of it. I still really liked the relationship between Peter and Gwen in those films, though I’m sure the fact that they were actually dating at the time led to them having good chemistry. I also thought Garfield was better overall as Spider-Man in that film. The villains and sketchy story elements unfortunately brought the film down.
Old 03-18-18, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
So DC's still looking for that elusive Guardians of the Galaxy equivalent eh?
I thought either Shazam or Booster Gold was supposed to accomplish that?
Old 06-03-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 05-29-19, 06:50 PM

Eisner Award-Winning comic book writer and ex-CIA officer Tom King, who currently writes DC Comic’s “Batman,” will co-write “The New Gods” screenplay with filmmaker Ava DuVernay, an individual with knowledge of the project exclusively told TheWrap. DuVernay was previously announced as the film’s director.
https://www.thewrap.com/batman-tom-k...-ava-duvernay/
Old 07-31-19, 03:31 PM

Old 04-01-21, 03:39 PM

Shelved:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...kSRMDfxDBvsfjA
Old 04-01-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Urgh, I was looking forward to this too (at least more than Eternals). Also, blame Snyder!
New Gods, which would have been a sprawling tale, was complicated by the fact that its villain, Darkseid, just appeared as a major foil in Zack Snyder's Justice League and there was a desire to have space between the latter and any new appearances.
Old 04-01-21, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

We’ve got three different actors playing Batman, are two different Darkseids going to cause much confusion?
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-01-21)
Old 04-01-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
We’ve got three different actors playing Batman, are two different Darkseids going to cause much confusion?
I'm thinking of the legions of Soccer Moms and their brood expressing shock, dismay, confusion, and uproar over two different Darkseids! The horror!
Old 04-01-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After watching A Wrinkle In Time, I'm in full favor of this being shelved.

And if anyone thinks Darkseid appearing in ZSJL has any bearing on this decision, well...
Old 04-01-21, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And if anyone thinks Darkseid appearing in ZSJL has any bearing on this decision, well...
Unless they don't want to use Darkseid because they don't want to give anyone hope they're going to keep the Snyderverse going...

Old 04-01-21, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

And this the reason why DC won’t get out of the rut they are in. Marvel has already done 25 films and 3 tv shows on the MCU and these idiots at DC/WB/AT&T can’t still go out and put out some decent shit. If they think that Snyder cut was good, they need to get their heads out of their asses.
Old 04-01-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
After watching A Wrinkle In Time, I'm in full favor of this being shelved.

That's exactly what the article says, though. It's worded as if it's not idle speculation, but who knows?
Old 04-01-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
If they think that Snyder cut was good, they need to get their heads out of their asses.
LOL settle down.
Old 04-01-21, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Until DC/WB get's a version of Feige that can have a vision forward, I'm glad things are being shelved. Maybe that person is Gunn.. who knows? But there needs to be a steady captain at the wheel and it seems everyone is still just doing their own thing.
Old 04-02-21, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

and this is why I have always been Marvel first... when I started collecting comics I could never get into dc stuff.
Old 04-02-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Until DC/WB get's a version of Feige that can have a vision forward, I'm glad things are being shelved. Maybe that person is Gunn.. who knows? But there needs to be a steady captain at the wheel and it seems everyone is still just doing their own thing.
The problem is that Warnermedia just doesn't have the will to put in all of the work Disney and Marvel did with the MCU.

Look at the early movies... Man of Steel, BvS: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Justice League... they wanted to go from Iron Man to Endgame in five movies. Technically, probably less, because you get the sense that they only made Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman because they wanted their own version of Guardians of the Galaxy with Suicide Squad, and they made a Wonder Woman movie because people responded well to Gal Gadot in Dawn of Justice.

They wanted to reap the rewards of the MCU without doing the heavy lifting.

Marvel and Disney left DC and Warners a roadmap for how to do it, but they decided to take a shortcut and ran their car into a ditch.

Old 04-02-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The problem is that Warnermedia just doesn't have the will to put in all of the work Disney and Marvel did with the MCU.

Look at the early movies... Man of Steel, BvS: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Justice League... they wanted to go from Iron Man to Endgame in five movies. Technically, probably less, because you get the sense that they only made Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman because they wanted their own version of Guardians of the Galaxy with Suicide Squad, and they made a Wonder Woman movie because people responded well to Gal Gadot in Dawn of Justice.

Marvel and Disney left DC and Warners a roadmap for how to do it, but they decided to take a shortcut and ran their car into a ditch.
I still don't think that going straight for Justice League was the problem. BvS hadn't the numbers they wished for but it was a very successful movie, Wonder Woman was a huge success. Suicide Squad and Justice League were bad movies and that showed at the box office. In my opinion there are three reasons why there isn't a proper DCEU left alive, although Wonder Woman, Aquaman und The Flash and Harley Quinn belong to the DCEU, as does Shazam in a way.
1.) Justice League bombed
2.) Ben Affleck fell of the wagon and his Batman died on impact
3.) The Joker was a massive success

With JL being a flop and Affleck out, they had to recast the Snyderverse Batman or clean the slate. The cleaned the slate and The Joker showed Warner that people will show up for a good movie and don't mind the elseworld character of the movie. So buring the Snyderverse, while going on with most of its characters is kind of strange, but most importantly, their movies have to be good. Not every other movie, they need a run, if they want to lose the bad smell.
Old 04-02-21, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I’ve mentioned this before. WB execs have a history of looking down at comic books. One of the main reasons most of the DC films have failed is because they want to use the comic book property to make money but they hate the source material. I’ve known of so many comic book writers who have been asked to submit pitches for comic book films and all of them were told if they could take out the super powers part, or the costumes, or the supernatural part, because in the execs opinion “it’s childish”, “it’s silly”, or “it’s not believable”. That’s why they add stupid romantic plots (Green Lantern), unnecessary shit ( Jonah Hex) or tell the directors/showrunners to not use superpowers (Nolan films/ first season of Arrow). Hell, WB didn’t want to do comic book movies after GL cause they said that it was a fad and the fans were tired of them. Then after Avengers became a hit, WB green lit all the projects but Josh said, wanted the work done in 3 movies instead of how Marvel had done it. WB & AT&T still looks down on comic books and worse of all, they have the bean counters running the show instead of the creators. The reason why these 2 projects have been shelved is basically because some idiot ran the numbers and believes that these properties aren’t known well enough that they will be certain box office successes. The mention that the New Gods project wouldn’t be able to be done as a standalone release shows that these pricks don’t care about the source and just care about how they can make money of one shots

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.