Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-15-18, 04:43 PM

Received 1,061 Likes on 722 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: After making history as the first woman of color to helm a $100 million-plus live-action film in A Wrinkle In Time, Ava DuVernay will continue to play in the event film sandbox. She’s closing a deal with Warner Bros and DC to direct a big-budget screen adaptation of The New Gods, the creation of revered comic book impresario Jack Kirby. The studio will quickly set a screenwriter who’ll craft the narrative and work closely with DuVernay.

This will be another $100M-plus film for DuVernay, who has taken quite a leap in scale since her breakout film Selma. She unveiled a New Gods connection late last year when she responded to a question on social media on who her favorite superhero is. “Big Barda. Many reasons” was her reply. Big Barda is one of the New Gods and the wife of Mister Miracle, also a Kirby creation.

This is a bold move for Warner Bros/DC and not just because this is the second superhero franchise they’ve handed to a female director after Patty Jenkins turned Wonder Woman into a crowd-pleasing blockbuster and is working on the sequel with Gal Gadot. Unlike recent DC fare, this is a freestanding world created and designed by Kirby back in 1971, not long after the prolific comic legend had exited Marvel.

There is no connection to the other DC worlds being exploited for film right now by Warner Bros, where studio boss Toby Emmerich and his newly installed DC production president Walter Hamada are moving forward with new approach to filmmakers on their DC-based fare.

The New Gods was the Genesis of the uber-villain Darkseid. Also called “Fourth World,” the Kirby creation debuted in a trilogy of related comics written and drawn by Kirby that were published in the very early 1970s: New Gods, Forever People and Mister Miracle. The New Gods came into existence after the world of the gods of classic mythology were destroyed during Ragnarok. The deities inhabit two planets: one is New Genesis, a lush paradise, and the other Apokolips, which sounds like Dante’s version of hell. War ensues. There is a rich universe of extraordinary characters for DuVernay to play with here. This will be a fun one to follow.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duve...by-1202338680/
Old 03-15-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 303 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Interesting. New Gods were always kind of hokey but I would watch this.
Old 03-15-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 379 Likes on 245 Posts

Whaaaat?!
Old 03-15-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I like it! I really hope this is based around Mister Miracle.

I bet if it does well enough they will integrate it into the rest of the DCEU.
Old 03-15-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts

Oprah for Granny Goodness?

Adrianne Palicki seems like she would be a good Barda.
Old 03-15-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 587 Likes on 459 Posts

I can't see them doing this without Darkseid, and I can't really see them wanting to do the rest of the DC cinematic universe without eventually facing Darkseid, so they have to intersect at some point, right?
Old 03-15-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Oprah for Granny Goodness?
LOL considering Ed Asner voiced the character in the past....
Old 03-15-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

They're giving her another $100 million budget despite the failure of Wrinkle? Oh well...
Old 03-15-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Don’t know anything about The New Gods, but can I say I find this

This is a bold move for Warner Bros/DC and not just because this is the second superhero franchise they’ve handed to a female director ...
just as offensive as the /Film critic who responded to criticism of A Wrinkle In Time with “you have to let black and women directors have room to fail too”.

DuVernay is obviously a talented director based on her first two films. Even talented directors have stinkers and a criticism of those films is not a criticism of the director’s body of work or a personal affront that requires defending. Handing this project to DuVernay is not a “bold move because she’s a woman”, it’s a prudent and wise move because she is a talented director.
Old 03-16-18, 10:30 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

I hate how Hollywood finds these gifted directors who make moderate sized, mature, defined films and then takes them under their wing and are like, “Here’s a development deal. Come. Let’s make movies together. We recognize your skill. Now let’s see what we have here for you. IT’S A $200 MILLION DOLLAR TENTPOLE CGI MONSTROSITY!!!”
Old 03-16-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 296 Posts

Didn’t A Wrinkle in Time not only kind of underperform but also overall hasn’t been very well received? I get that we’re all about women at this point in history but she doesn’t seem to have a proven track record or anything to make this exciting. I know she also did Selma (which I haven’t seen yet) but that seems like a more personal project compared to a big budget film like this.
Old 03-16-18, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Didn’t A Wrinkle in Time not only kind of underperform but also overall hasn’t been very well received? I get that we’re all about women at this point in history but she doesn’t seem to have a proven track record or anything to make this exciting. I know she also did Selma (which I haven’t seen yet) but that seems like a more personal project compared to a big budget film like this.
What's the difference between any other man who directed an indie and then was selected for a big budget film?

Favreau directed Elf which did well and then did Zathura which was pretty much a bomb. Then came Iron Man.
Old 03-16-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True enough I suppose. It just seems like people are making her out as this big get (other sites not just here) when really she’s unproven.
Old 03-16-18, 11:01 AM

True enough I suppose. It just seems like people are making her out as this big get (other sites not just here) when really she’s unproven.
If the article came out with someone you never heard of... a man who has a background in digital effects or stunts or something and was making their directorial debut, would you be asking these questions?

If someone who like... I don't know... Cary Fukunaga... was announced as director would you? Acclaimed director, but hasn't really had a hit... would you be excited? I don't mean to point you out specifically. I just don't see what the big deal is with her being announced. Plenty of no name fucks get jobs directing Hollywood films.

The director Bring It On directed Ant-Man. Think about that.

She's an Oscar nominee. It is a "get".

Last edited by dex14; 03-16-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 310 Likes on 260 Posts

Selma is proven. On that alone. Look at Coogler. Fruitvale Station and Creed and now Black Panther. With Ava, it's that she's a black woman that's going to tackle a big budget superhero film. I guess it rubs people the wrong way. Why give it to her when they can give it to...a white guy?

On a separate tangent -- the director of Spiderman Homecoming -- his last two films before graduating to the big leagues were Cop Car and Clown. Then the floodgates opened up.
Old 03-16-18, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Selma is proven. On that alone. Look at Coogler. Fruitvale Station and Creed and now Black Panther. With Ava, it's that she's a black woman that's going to tackle a big budget superhero film. I guess it rubs people the wrong way. Why give it to her when they can give it to...a white guy?

On a separate tangent -- the director of Spiderman Homecoming -- his last two films before graduating to the big leagues were Cop Car and Clown. Then the floodgates opened up.
Lets reference a film Mike loved! The Amazing Spider-Man 2.... Marc Webb only did 500 Days of Summer and some music videos before jumping into his first Spidey. Was he proven?
Old 03-16-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

So DC jumping on the Thor Ragnarok gravy train now. And why not get a director who has just come off ruining what many people felt was a classic book (never read it myself) and turning it into a huge turd of a movie.

Good to see DC is righting that ship.
Old 03-16-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
If the article came out with someone you never heard of... a man who has a background in digital effects or stunts or something and was making their directorial debut, would you be asking these questions?
By the same token would we be hyping it up if it was a guy with an unproven record? Sorta doubt it. I have nothing against women in starring roles or as directors or whatever, but I just think because of the current climate whenever something is announced that’s big with a female attached it’s like this godsend..

Also think of it this way David Ayer is Oscar nominated and gave us Suicide Squad. Now granted some of that film is WB’s meddling but still. Fucking awful film.
Old 03-16-18, 11:21 AM

By the same token would we be hyping it up if it was a guy with an unproven record? Sorta doubt it. I have nothing against women in starring roles or as directors or whatever, but I just think because of the current climate whenever something is announced that’s big with a female attached it’s like this godsend..

Also think of it this way David Ayer is Oscar nominated and gave us Suicide Squad. Now granted some of that film is WB’s meddling but still. Fucking awful film.
I haven't really seen any "hyping". It's acknowledging of a woman being hired for a big budget film, which doesn't happen very often. Because of this current climate, people want to dismiss acknowledgments and accomplishments to "because they're a woman" or "because they're black". Not saying specifically you.

Last edited by dex14; 05-29-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 310 Likes on 260 Posts

Well, look at Patty Jenkins. What was her track record for a big budget film prior to WW? A few television episodes and Monster and that was it. At least Ava now has experience directing CGI and special effects with Wrinkle in Time (and it cost 103 million to make). I'm sure DC will give her as much control as they gave Jenkins on the first WW film.
Old 03-16-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 379 Likes on 245 Posts

Dude, at this point what does DC have to lose? I mean seriously. Based on the general public's take on this,the track record for the DCEU is that Men have made all bad DC films and 1 Woman has made 1 pretty good DC film. (well, overrated according to you)

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-16-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

A Wrinkle In Time being a disappointment takes a bit of the wind out of the sails on Duvernay directing, but i'm still interested. It'll be interesting how they handle this kind of property, and particularly any Darkseid or DCEU involvement.
Old 03-16-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

I haven't really seen any "hyping". It's acknowledging of a woman being hired for a big budget film, which doesn't happen very often. Because of this current climate, people want to dismiss acknowledgments and accomplishments to "because they're a woman" or "because they're black". Not saying specifically you.
Pardon me for wishing to celebrate a person’s accomplishments and talent level rather than his/her melatonin levels or genetalia.

Last edited by dex14; 05-29-19 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 587 Likes on 459 Posts

Ah, I was reminded that she had passed on Black Panther because she felt like fitting into the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe would lead to too many compromises, so it makes sense that this is (at least initially) disconnected.
Old 03-16-18, 01:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

Lets reference a film Mike loved! The Amazing Spider-Man 2.... Marc Webb only did 500 Days of Summer and some music videos before jumping into his first Spidey. Was he proven?
No. And I’d rather he worked on a couple more 500 Days of Summerses than do a big stupid CGI fest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.